Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

i followed the guide and i have to admit it took me time. But i am having a problem with 'about this mac' it says 2G 800mhz ddr2, while i am running 3G ddr3 1333 and my HT is not working (all 4 cores are working though :)

Another problem i have is i cant see any of my SATA drives, i installed Snow on my ESATA drive, any ideas?

Khodi - You have the SE right?

You're making this harder on yourself than you have to.

Use my guide with the latest magic stick but I told you that you would need a few different kexts and a different DSDT.

Make sure you have the latest EFI magic stick and add the DSDT.aml and kexts for your board attached here to your MagicStick and while in SL rebuild the Extensions.mkext as defined in my guide - there are probably a few more - I will hunt them down.

You also need 0504 bios or ABOVE!

There are topics for that board here - I am just not fond of the guide's method and need to run scripts and so on.

Google is your friend ;)

Regards,

Ryan

P6TSE.zip

p6tse2.zip

My only issue left is that my osx doesn't find any input/output devices as in no soundcard

Are you using the latest magic stick and booting with no flags? (-v is ok)

Sounds like you're booting on the old magic stick.

If you are on the new one, you probably need to rebuild the Extensions.mkext while booted in SL using the Kext Utility.app

if the problem persists, PM me - I am tired of typing - lol - I will just give you my # and walk you through it.

Regards,

Ryan

for those who can't access to a mac or a leopard intalation?what can I do? i couldn't install neither in my computer

p6t

i7 2.66

I guess I am going to have to make a boot-132 CD... But the guide starts by stating that it is assumed one has access to a working install :)

No I used the new one, but it works occasionally now - the onboard sound might interfere with my audigy2 which I use on my windows 7 system. But since I'm going to replace that this week- it's not an issue.

I geekbenched today and got ~10400 points, so system's working alright :hysterical:

Hi, i have a question. I installed just fine on P6T using your method, thanks :(

Now I tried updating to 10.6.1 (software update) and after reboot (with -f -v) I get

Serial Atapi device reconfiguration did not complete successfully (failed command = 0x1)

Serial Atapi device reconfiguration did not complete successfully (failed command = 0x2)

Serial Atapi device reconfiguration did not complete successfully (failed command = 0x1)

then eventually I get

Still waiting for root device.

Is there a way to fix this? Or in general install 10.6.1 update after your installation method?

I am using v3.3 (new) flash stick and my boot.plist kernel flags are (i have i7 920)

SMBIOSdefaults=no -v busratio=20

+ device-properties string for dual gtx 260s.

Thanks.

Ryan-

Any more thought to adding NullCPUPowerManagement to the build? I am going to play with the new Magic Stick tomorrow, and I think I will test that as well to try to drop the CPU temps a bit.

Also, if I boot with -x32 that should allow me to run VMWare even with the 64 bit kernel running right (64 bit kernel and 32 bit extensions)?

Thanks again for updating the stick. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

Bamf

Are you using the latest magic stick and booting with no flags? (-v is ok)

Sounds like you're booting on the old magic stick.

If you are on the new one, you probably need to rebuild the Extensions.mkext while booted in SL using the Kext Utility.app

if the problem persists, PM me - I am tired of typing - lol - I will just give you my # and walk you through it.

Regards,

Ryan

I guess I am going to have to make a boot-132 CD... But the guide starts by stating that it is assumed one has access to a working install :D

I Know that's why I asked if it is possible to do this without one.. because i tried many mac distros and none worked.. can u help me installing retail snow leopard on my p6t with ATI 4870 1GB graphic having none install working? I'me on windows 7 is it possible to do a dual boot?

If it can't be done i thank you anyway in advance.

Rui

It finaly worked for me :D My P6T SE is running like charm

Thanks Ryan :D

Here is my geekbench results for anyone whos interested

GEEKBENCH SCORES

Good job! I am glad it is working - good score as well (I am waiting for someone to beat my 15,000+ score - LOL)

FYI - I noticed your machine shows as an older MacPro 2,1. If you are using SMBIOSdefaults=no as a kernel flag in your com.apple.Boot.plist located in your /EFI/Extra directory and you have smbios.plist also in your /EFI/Extra directory, you can give yourself an "updated" machine such as a MacPro 3,1 or 4,1.

Look to the smbios.plist included in my pack to edit (it shows a MacPro 4,1) - I also recommend changing the last 3 digits of the serial number so we all don't have the same one :P

This makes a difference with Apple's update server as to what updates you will receive regarding how old the update server thinks your "Mac" is - I have tested this and know it to be factual. Since your hardware resembles a newer Mac, I suggest the minor modification...

Otherwise - EXECELENT WORK :P

Regards,

Ryan

So guys I have a question, how do you update to 10.6.1 with this method? 10.6.0 installation works fine in my case, but whenever I run software updater and update to 10.6.1 (obviously install to drive, not efi usb) I end up with "Still waiting for root device.".

And another thing: applehda kext included with the magic stick didn't work for me. I found a reference to another applehda kext in one of the later posts here and it worked. I have a standard vanilla P6T.

Thanks.

radov4n-

Assuming you have followed the guide completely, you will be able to use software update normally without any other modifications. I was able to update to 10.6.1 with software update with no issues.

Did you do something a little differently than the guide suggested? If so, let us know so we can try to help you out.

Bamf

So guys I have a question, how do you update to 10.6.1 with this method? 10.6.0 installation works fine in my case, but whenever I run software updater and update to 10.6.1 (obviously install to drive, not efi usb) I end up with "Still waiting for root device.".

And another thing: applehda kext included with the magic stick didn't work for me. I found a reference to another applehda kext in one of the later posts here and it worked. I have a standard vanilla P6T.

Thanks.

You must have done something wrong. All my machines are running the EFI v3.3 updated (not the one from the pack - the one at the bottom of the guide) and the V3.3 has a fully functional AppleHDA 64 BIT!

I have 7 machines here. 6 are P6T's with everything from EVGA Mac edition cards to 9600 GT's and various drive, memory and component configs with bios ranging of 6 to 8. I am running as stable as a real Mac on all of them and have ran every update since the release of 10.6.0...

Look - I wil post the updated COMPLETE package today and a boot 132 (you don't need the boot 132 - I just wanted to mention it) with instructions for those of you without access to a Mac to build the files.

I think a lot of confusion is coming from the package at the top of my guide containing an early release of the "Magic Stick" and associated files and needing to use the updated "Magic Stick" at the bottom of the guide and NOT the one in the pack which forced 32 bit kernel and extensions.

FYI - I am also editing the video guide - problem is that it is HUGE - 1.3GB! damn HD camcorder - lol - Compressing it but keeping the resolution has been presenting a bit of a challenge.

PM me and I will respond with my phone number (I have not checked if your in the US or not) and your welcome to call - I have international dialing by the way so if you're not in the US I would be happy to call you. I have let several people call me and I assure you that it does not bother me at all and I can have you up and running in minutes.

It sounds like you have the wrong DSDT or bios settings and/or boot file or you're not building your Extensions.mkext in 10.6.x in 64 bit mode. You need to insure that you grab the latest EFI_v3.3dmg at the bottom of the guide - follow the rest of the steps and step 10 must be done with the files included in the update from its i386 folder.

Sorry to rush the response but I am working on a 3.3 revision guide that is simplified by removing the "edits" as well as the above mentioned-

I will be free to take a call in about an hour.

Regards,

Ryan

Aight, thanks guys. Whatever I did - it worked, patched to 10.6.1 fine. Kind of weird, because I did the exact same steps as last time (when I was getting still waiting on root device). Oh well.

Thanks for this great method, Ryan. System seems to be pretty stable.

I also have a question for you Ryan. How do you make your EFI usb stick invisible, so it doesn't show up on the OS X desktop?

Thanks.

Aight, thanks guys. Whatever I did - it worked, patched to 10.6.1 fine. Kind of weird, because I did the exact same steps as last time (when I was getting still waiting on root device). Oh well.

Thanks for this great method, Ryan. System seems to be pretty stable.

I also have a question for you Ryan. How do you make your EFI usb stick invisible, so it doesn't show up on the OS X desktop?

Thanks.

Good job - I am glad to hear your up and running :)

Somewhere in this topic I discuss it but I will recap. First thing is to make sure owners are enabled by going into terminal as su or putting sudo in front of;

vsdbutil -a /Volumes/EFI/

Then from the desktop you right click the EFI drive and uncheck the box at the very bottom that reads "Ignore ownership on this volume"

Back in terminal you then cd to the Volumes directory and type (as su or with sudo) mv EFI .EFI

Quit terminal and reboot.

To show the EFI drive (if you want to mod something or add kexts as updated ones become available or for adding a new GFX card or whatever) you have two options -

1. From finder in the "Go" menu you select Go to folder and type "/Volumes/.EFI"

or

2. You can use the show all files script attached to my guide and it will show the hidden .EFI on the desktop - when you are done editing you can choose to hide the files again with the script.

Regards,

Ryan

It is fun to know SL can run fine with normal P6T as I also have this machine

I found another guide which is use P6T SE which more easier, but no luck to install as Im getting IOAPIC error. Tried few times, yet the luck not on my side.

Is there any easier method such dfe-132 method? Thanks

It is fun to know SL can run fine with normal P6T as I also have this machine

I found another guide which is use P6T SE which more easier, but no luck to install as Im getting IOAPIC error. Tried few times, yet the luck not on my side.

Is there any easier method such dfe-132 method? Thanks

Easier is a matter of perception - some guides work better for some while others work better for others.

The SE and non SE require different kexts - this is why you are having an issue.

I know the guide you are referring to - all it does is compile scripts for you but you have to install 10.5.x on your machine first. - my method is just as easy if you just take it one step at a time and only requires you to have access to another Mac - once I post the boot 132 you wont even need that.

I finally have the boot 132 and final pack (no updates needed on it) done and had I not been called in to work yesterday I would have them posted already.

Regards,

Ryan

Thats great news. i have tried for 4 nights to my dismay no luck. I just get blue screen most likely video card issue. I have 10.5.7 installed all good

but I want snow :) I hope your new boot cd will help . I am a noob with this but I know my way around.

looking foward to out doing your geekbench I can run my i7920 @ 4.6 memory @ 2065 should give you alittle comp thank for all your hard work.

http://www.myalbumbank.com/displayimage.php?pos=-2992

Good news - With the initial help of brue and now bamf and a few others (there will be a credits section) I now have a complete solution and simplified installation.

Here is what's coming;

1. A new FINAL pack

2. A boot-132 CD for "virgin" installations

3. A revised guide with the updates stripped and it will be cleaner and more simple

4. Shell scripts to automate tasks for people new to this

5. Enhancements to the Final pack giving a complete set of tools

6. Separate notes for newbies and pros with readme files, links to GFX functionality/EFI strings and more!

The video walk-through is still coming but I am waiting on the above to be posted before I do since the video will need some edits.

I am working hard to post this ALL tonight. Anyone attempting the guide for the first time should wait until tonight/tomorrow. Those of you up and running should use the new files for updating your current install.

Once again I will try my hardest to get this all up tonight!

Regards,

Ryan

BTW - I will be out of contact for a few hours so if you PM me you will not get a response until later...

Hey Searay_X,

Wanted to ask: I bought this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC209Z/A...mco=MTA4MjgwNzU

Is this good for me? I want to install SL while I have no other MAC OSX on my computer.

Is it the right one?

On the box of the one I bought it says:

"An upgrade to the Apple software for your Mac. All in one box."

"Only for Intel based Mac computers with MAC OS X Leopard or MAC OS X Tiger." (I have none)

If this one is correct, Was the 29$ version that doesnt include iwork/ilife also going to work?

And lastly, Can I put it on more than one computer?

Good news - With the initial help of brue and now bamf and a few others (there will be a credits section) I now have a complete solution and simplified installation.

Here is what's coming;

1. A new FINAL pack

2. A boot-132 CD for "virgin" installations

3. A revised guide with the updates stripped and it will be cleaner and more simple

4. Shell scripts to automate tasks for people new to this

5. Enhancements to the Final pack giving a complete set of tools

6. Separate notes for newbies and pros with readme files, links to GFX functionality/EFI strings and more!

The video walk-through is still coming but I am waiting on the above to be posted before I do since the video will need some edits.

I am working hard to post this ALL tonight. Anyone attempting the guide for the first time should wait until tonight/tomorrow. Those of you up and running should use the new files for updating your current install.

Once again I will try my hardest to get this all up tonight!

Regards,

Ryan

BTW - I will be out of contact for a few hours so if you PM me you will not get a response until later...

can't wait man =D thank you very much for your effort to help others

Hey Searay_X,

Wanted to ask: I bought this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC209Z/A...mco=MTA4MjgwNzU

Is this good for me? I want to install SL while I have no other MAC OSX on my computer.

Is it the right one?

On the box of the one I bought it says:

"An upgrade to the Apple software for your Mac. All in one box."

"Only for Intel based Mac computers with MAC OS X Leopard or MAC OS X Tiger." (I have none)

If this one is correct, Was the 29$ version that doesnt include iwork/ilife also going to work?

And lastly, Can I put it on more than one computer?

I haven't been able to pull up the link you sent (silly work website blocking), but I think you bought the Mac Box Set. That allows you to install OS X, iLife, and iWork to a single (1) computer. If you had not bought Leopard previously, then you did indeed purchase the correct item from Apple.

I haven't been able to pull up the link you sent (silly work website blocking), but I think you bought the Mac Box Set. That allows you to install OS X, iLife, and iWork to a single (1) computer. If you had not bought Leopard previously, then you did indeed purchase the correct item from Apple.

Thank you for the help in replies bamf - I've been busy redoing the guide, boot 132, pre-hidden EFI and all the other enhancements. I got tied up last night with a phone call helping someone here (a call I was happy to take as I had a pleasant experience with walking him through the guide).

I will try my hardest to post the updated pack and guide today/tonight - sorry it is taking so long but I am trying for perfection. slurz can verify the new files are the key to a flawless Mac!

It is WAY simplified and allows a virgin install without having to have a mac or access to one; only a retail disk.

For the record - the box set is indeed the one you bought and is a perfect version for you as bamf stated. The $29.00 upgrade will do a clean/virgin install but if someone does not have 10.5 they should purchase the full version (or box set if they want the full iLife/iWork out of moral obligation if not anything else.

By the way - I was under the impression that ALL leopard versions allowed up to 5 computers... Here is a quote from the link of the pack you bought;

About the Family Pack

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household†we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including students who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

*GarageBand Artist Lessons are sold separately and are available directly through the GarageBand Lesson Store in select countries.

iPhoto print products are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select countries in Europe and Asia Pacific.

Flickrâ„¢ service is available only in select countries.

Funny observation - Notice the "Apple-Labeled computers" - Put an Apple sticker on them - LOL

Regards,

Ryan

can't wait man =D thank you very much for your effort to help others

I will try hard to push it out today/tonight even if I have to pull an all-nighter :D