[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Just installed system with a combination of the latest two build version 8.5.1/8.5.2 They worked great.

A issue i encountered was when I run :

4) Enable/disable TRIM support for third-party SSDs (TRIM has been enabled for all supported SSDs. A reboot is required.)

The script rebuilds the KernelCache and Rebuilding system mkext cache.. When you restart machine it kernel panics. 

Have to add the boot flag -f ignore caches and even if i re-build with 4) Boot cache updater K) Kernelcache boot   - build kernelcache (no kexts in /Extra) i still get the same kernel panic.

One note of feedback is when we use the  1) OS X installer,  1) Boot Disk

Unless you are on the website and read the guide notes you do not know to add the kernel. and you end up finding out when you try and boot.

Maybe a note can be written in the header of Boot Disk Creator or it can check and prompt a warning when you do not have the kernel out the folder ready to install?

Awesome script works great Thankyou

EDIT: Fixed my kernel boot panics with kext-dev-mode=1 (yay fast booting) I could not get audio working with supplied kext. However my old AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler1.kext from 10.9.5 are working great in Yosemite 10.10.

I just tried version 8.5.2 and the installer gave an "Undefined error: 0" right off the bat when trying instal from boot disk (flash drive) to a targeted SSD. Thoughts?

EDIT: Apparently, I just missed step #3 entirely like @jc84 had mentioned. Redoing a boot disk now with a kernel.

EDIT 2: Up and running again. It's been a long time since Lion or Mountain Lion (I think) I last did this. I ran into a black screen during boot because of my GeForce 9800 GT card, which I knew I had resolved before but just didn't recall. Adding PCIRootUID=1 to the book plist worked like a charm. Had I spend an hour searching. Other than that, everything was quite a breeze. Thanks again, @digital_dreamer, for maintain this precious script for us EX85-UD5 mob owners.

It's been more than 4 years since I put together the system and it's still going strong. I was hoping for a good Mac Mini update to decide whether to get it or stay on the Hackintosh route. The announcement was so disappointing that throwing spare parts together would still make a better system. 

Oh, by the way, this upgrade was huge for me because Sleep never worked in the past no matter what I did. I don't know if some magic you did in the script or Yosemite just had it stuff together, but now my machine goes to sleep and wake up without me having to do anything. 

Want to share my personnel update experience from Mavericks to Yosemite like on a real MAC !

Vanilla update for Hackintosh from Mavericks To Yosemite like on a real MAC

How to update from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10. With Clover bootloader 2K r 2953.

1. Download official "Installer OS X Yosemite.app" and leave it in your Applications folder
2. Update your disk OS X 10.9.5 to Clover boot loader r2953 ( if you aren’t already ! )
3. Copy your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9 folder and past and rename it 10.10
4. Update kexts in 10.10 folder if needed specially for Yosemite
5. Launch « Installer OS X Yosemite.app » on OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks disk
6. On reboot chose in Clover MENU « Boot OS X Install from « your disk name »
7. This will install and update your 10.9.5 disk to Yosemite and reboot once to finish
8. Reboot and Voila your in Yosemite  procedure like on a real MAC !!

N.B I experienced already the same thing all along the updates from Yosemite DP1 to DP8 the last months via App store updating !

I hope this is not only working on my rig !

:drool:

Thanks for reporting here your own experiences

Support for 10.10. is really great news! Thank you for your effort - having the script supporting a new, critical update on day 1 is really incredible!

@ROBASEFR so Clover seems to have significant advantages over chameleon for this release. Could you point out the differences between chameleon and clover at it's core? Seems like I missed that development. Is it just a different injection method allowing smoother updates or are there other differences (provided I still use EX-58UD5 and no EFI board).

Did anyone have a look into handoff/continuity yet? Seems like there are different opinions on what is required to get this running on a hack. Is a WIFI adapter needed even if the devices are in the same network? Is bluetooth 4.0 LE sufficient or are only some devices supported? Any kind of kext-hack necessary and can it be injected with chameleon/clover?

Seems like I will have to wait a little bit though since I use my computer in a productive environment...

Did anyone have a look into handoff/continuity yet? Seems like there are different opinions on what is required to get this running on a hack. Is a WIFI adapter needed even if the devices are in the same network? Is bluetooth 4.0 LE sufficient or are only some devices supported? Any kind of kext-hack necessary and can it be injected with chameleon/clover?

HandOff: I just tested it out then. When you have say Keynote file open on hackmac and iphone6 you make changes one one they reflect on the other device. Okay it not as fast as how apple demo it but works. takes about 30-45seconds to upload to iCloud and sync back. It just reqirues devices being able to connect to icloud.

Continuity: I can not use imessage/messages. I could not login on 10.9.5 either my account has been locked it seems when you use on hackmac and change serial a few times... it used to work back in the day.

EDIT: I Read you need to be on wifi and both devices need Bluetooth 4.0 (HCI Version: 0x6) - Seems it does not work for me yet. and even users with legit macs does not seem to work. Lots of guides about turning on and off facetime/messages on ipads/iphones etc.

UPDATE: 10/19/14 - version 8.5.3

• Boot disk creator: Reworked script so that it will find the required kernel if it's still buried inside the Kernels directory. This will solve the issues where the Boot disk creator aborts due to not finding a kernel to install.

This process goes through several steps:

• Check if an alternative kernel is being installed (if kernel in Kernels folder is placed directly outside its parent folder).
    • Failing that, it is assumed no alternative kernel is desired and the vanilla kernel is to be installed. Therefore, check for a kernel directly inside the OS installer disk images. (This was where the kernels used to be located.)
    • If not found, we'll assume it's located in BaseSystemBinaries.pkg (as is currently the case) and wait until it is unpacked.
    • If a kernel is not found, because packages cannot be uncompressed (as is, also, currently the case), then go back and look for a buried kernel in the script's Kernels directory, based on the OS version number (e.g. 10.10_Yosemite)
    • If none is found directly in this directory, check if there are child directories that match the OS minor version number (e.g. 10.1, 10.2, etc.) and use that kernel.
    • The process is aborted if no kernel is found.
    I expect that at some future time we will be able to uncompress the payloads in the packages and extract the kernel, as we used to do, and none of the above will be necessary. In the meantime, we will have to have a separate kernel for each OS release (assuming kernel changes), each of which adding about 11MB to the overall size. Additionally, I can't expect each user to place the required kernel where needed for the installation. This is why the script is being implemented this way - to ensure the correct kernel is being used for the desired OS release.
  • I'm including a modified and fixed version of Cruser's DSDT file for the GA-EX58-UD5 board and Core i7 920 CPU you can use. This DSDT file had native power management stripped in and was stripped down to the bare minimum by Cruser. This file should work better than the one I just released previously. It's located in the "Plists_and_other_files" folder, named "NPM_EX58-UD5.dsl," and will be visible within the DSDT Patcher as option #2. Do not use this if you do not have the same board and CPU!
  • Please read all Known issues on first page before running the script or if you are encountering booting issues.
Download will be ready about 9 a.m. Central Time.

If you had downloaded the script at an earlier period this morning, please try again, as there was a bug found in that copy.

itdoesnotwork,

Chameleon development has really slowed down. There's only a trickle here and there, and only for major fixes.

It's clear that everyone, okay most everyone, including the devs, are moving to Clover.

Clover is a modern boot manager.

It offers on-the-fly patching of files/kexts. This means many kexts don't need to be reinstalled after a software update.

It does take quite a bit of tweaking to get running correctly, but, once there, you can just leave it.

I'll let @ROBASEFR offer more info on this, due to his real-world experience.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Wow thanks for the quick answer :) So I think I'll move to clover too within the Yosemite update... Hope that Hackinstaller Script will support this bootloader at some future point. I really enjoy using it! :)

Will have too look carefully into this though - I don't really want to screw my fusion drive up.

BTW: I can remember you requested some logs on Fusion Drive some time ago. I somehow did not have the time - sorry. If you still require anything on this let me know and I'll try to gather the information during the update (in november).

@jc84 Handoff is not only about iCloud sync, but your Mac should notify you of open apps on your iphone and offer you to continue directly. For me, this would be the most adorable feature of Yosemite, so I'll definitely do one thing or another to get this working!

Support for 10.10. is really great news! Thank you for your effort - having the script supporting a new, critical update on day 1 is really incredible!

@ROBASEFR so Clover seems to have significant advantages over chameleon for this release. Could you point out the differences between chameleon and clover at it's core? Seems like I missed that development. Is it just a different injection method allowing smoother updates or are there other differences (provided I still use EX-58UD5 and no EFI board).

I'll let @ROBASEFR offer more info on this, due to his real-world experience.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Hello,

To answer your question "itdoesnotwork" , some reading: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/What-is-what#Boot-and-CloverEFI

But to be more concrete !

EFI is for older MOBO and UEFI for newer MOBO.  (EX58-UD5 needs EFI boot !) But UEFI is better and faster and more vanilla

the differences:

The boot process will proceed as follows:

A:   Legacy BIOS: BIOS->MBR->PBR->boot->CLOVERX64.EFI-> ... system, namely boot.efi->mach_kernel->Login

B:  UEFI BIOS: UEFI->CLOVERX64.EFI-> ... system

The most other important resources and credits:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

http://tianocore.sourceforge.net/wiki/Start_using_UEFI

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

In essential (for EFI boot)

Clover EFI booting is possible also from an USB key, but I don't develop it here !

You can use this topic until point 5 for EFI (credits: Lejenk )

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287737-how-toclover-on-efi-partitionadd-to-bios/

Clover bootloader is for EFI and UEFI booting installed on the hidden EFI partition ( 200MB on every MAC hard disks or SSD)

This hidden partition is always the first partition of all disks ( ex. Your Yosemite HD= disk2 then EFI= disk2s1)

1.)

First we need to find the HDD that has OS X installed on a GUID partition table, and look for the EFI partition. Open terminal and type:

sudo -s

type password

diskutil list

post-305243-0-50835500-1413840478_thumb.png

I have Clover already installed on disk0s1, for this guide i will install it to disk1s1, which is my spare HDD, also formatted to GPT.

2.)

We need to apply a new filesystem to the EFI partition, remember to replace the X corresponding to your disk setup.

In terminal enter:

newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/diskXsX

post-305243-0-35520200-1413840493_thumb.png

It will give an error, you can ignore it. The EFI partition has been formatted to FAT32 and can now be recognized by UEFI.

3.)

Now it is time to mount the EFI partition and copy the needed files. Type the following into terminal, remember to replace the X's:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_msdos /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/EFI

NB : You can mount /unmounts EFI partition for every disk with EFI mounter.app or even  better with Clover Configurator.app (http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/)  you will need this later on !

post-305243-0-10199900-1413840508_thumb.png

Go to finder, on the left hand side, you will now have a disk called EFI.

4.)

Install Clover with Clover EFI Bootloader  v2K- r2953

Be aware to chose the right disk you want to install it  !!

Personalize your install like this:

post-305243-0-60563000-1413840520_thumb.png

post-305243-0-54864800-1414409305_thumb.png

Here is my config.plist for EX58-UD5 to replace the default config.plist in EFI/CLOVER

config.plist.zip

And you get this structure on EFI partition:

post-305243-0-95566300-1413840544_thumb.png

As you know already one of the the most important concerns in the hackintosh world is how to create a good DSDT.aml.

If you already have your own DSDT.aml, you can directly place it into/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Put your kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder

(essential one is FAKESMC.kext)

Rebuild permission and cache with Kext wizard for example

Good build and success !

Greetings

@robasefr

MAJ,

Thanks as always, for your great work.

I have bricked my machine and cannot seem to figure out what to do.  I had a perfectly working Mavericks drive and had just successfully installed Yosemite on the second drive using your script.  After rebooting into Mavericks, I followed the directions and updated the bootloader, which is located on the Mavericks drive, using the script.  The Chameleon version that downloaded and installed on my Mavericks drive was v2.2svn r2414.  I now cannot boot into Mavericks (it kernel panics), and the Yosemite drive and the USB boot stick I created both says they "Can't find mach kernel".  I have tried safe booting and every other flag to no avail.  Is there a way to roll back the version of Chameleon from the Chameleon boot selection screen or any other way to get either drive to boot? 

I have never experienced this in any of my builds and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

bernito,

A few things:

1. Make sure the bootloader on the drive that you are booting from has at least r2401. If it's older, it will not be able to correctly determine the kernel name and path based on the OS version. If you are booting from a drive with the older bootloader, it will always assume a Mavericks or earlier setup, looking for "mach_kernel" at the volume's root directory.

2. Make sure any of your boot plists that the updated bootloader is using does not have the "Kernel" key and string.

It’ll look like this:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
Remove the entire key and string. This will let the bootloader find the kernel on its own, depending on the OS version. With it in place, it will always assume the "mach_kernel" name and root directory path, and that can only boot Mavericks or earlier.

3. I'm always a bit wary of using the very latest Chameleon commits and compiling them, as they have not  had much testing done, compared to the public releases. I will only use it on a test environment.

EDIT:

4. You can't roll back to an earlier version at the bootloader screen. But, the script allows you to revert to an earlier version you have used or installed. Just key in the bootloader number and use "r" like this: 2 r

This will pull up the last 4 versions you have used and allow you to revert.

Plus, if you are using the source code, you can choose any revision from the change log and revert to that revision.

It's nice they finally fixed the compiling errors for the Chameleon bootloader! Yay.

MAJ

RETIREMENT:

I will be retiring from this project shortly. It has consumed 4 years of my time and I need to move on with other things. The script has served its purpose with regards the Chameleon bootloader and there isn't any need to maintain a script that supports a dead-end development project.

The Clover boot manager is where the future is and development continues to move swiftly there. Additionally, all the tools are already in place:

If I find a need for some helpful script to speed up the Clover installation and setup, I may consider making a bare-bones script to help in that regard.

Best of wishes!

I'd just like to say a massive THANKS from everyone on this forum MAJ. This script and your support has made hackintosh use a joy for many of us.

It feels like an end of an era - but best wishes for the future.

tom.

Are we able to use Chimera 4.0 on Yosemite or is Chameleon the recommended bootloader? (I noticed 4.0 says it's Yosemite compatible but the install instructions recommend Chameleon)

• Like 2

I'd just like to say a massive THANKS from everyone on this forum MAJ. This script and your support has made hackintosh use a joy for many of us.

It feels like an end of an era - but best wishes for the future.

tom.

Yes I agree 100 % with this.

Thank you so much D_D for all the hard work and good consulting and service on your script

:thumbsup_anim:  :wink_anim:

@robasefr

bernito,

A few things:

1. Make sure the bootloader on the drive that you are booting from has at least r2401. If it's older, it will not be able to correctly determine the kernel name and path based on the OS version. If you are booting from a drive with the older bootloader, it will always assume a Mavericks or earlier setup, looking for "mach_kernel" at the volume's root directory.

2. Make sure any of your boot plists that the updated bootloader is using does not have the "Kernel" key and string.

It’ll look like this:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
Remove the entire key and string. This will let the bootloader find the kernel on its own, depending on the OS version. With it in place, it will always assume the "mach_kernel" name and root directory path, and that can only boot Mavericks or earlier.

3. I'm always a bit wary of using the very latest Chameleon commits and compiling them, as they have not  had much testing done, compared to the public releases. I will only use it on a test environment.

EDIT:

4. You can't roll back to an earlier version at the bootloader screen. But, the script allows you to revert to an earlier version you have used or installed. Just key in the bootloader number and use "r" like this: 2 r

This will pull up the last 4 versions you have used and allow you to revert.

Plus, if you are using the source code, you can choose any revision from the change log and revert to that revision.

It's nice they finally fixed the compiling errors for the Chameleon bootloader! Yay.

MAJ

MAJ

I was able to boot off a USB stick and am trying to install Chameleon v2.2svn r2401 since the script comes with r2395.  Every time I select "L", toggle to r2401 and hit enter to compile and replace r2395 I get a "Compiling failed!" message.

Is there any other way to install Chameleon r2401 without messing up the script since that is what it says I need to be able to boot Yosemite?

Hi all,

I'm getting a boot loop (sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line...) with Yosemite. After 5 minutes i got a white screen and nothing else happens.

Here is a screenshot

post-494684-0-96300100-1414247651_thumb.jpg

What can i do?

UPDATE:

If i use "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" i got white screen; if I use "GraphicsEnabler=No" i got "no signal" on my monitor

Hi, I wanted to borrow some of the expertise you guys have if possible, especially you EX58-UD5 users.

I've just moved to Clover after installing Yosemite because I was having problems booting with Chameleon.

Now my Yosemite drive boots but it shuts down during the boot sequence and restarts.

My system is EX58-UD5 F13, 2.67GHz core i7 (I think that makes it a 920), GeForce 9800 GT, 6GB RAM. The Yosemite boot drive is a Crucial 512Gb SSD.

I formatted my EFI partition to FAT 32, installed Clover, replacing the Vboxhfs-64.efi driver with the HFSPlus.efi.

I copied Robasefr's config.plist and used that. I'm not using a DSDT.aml file, though I have one which was working with Mavericks, and fixed my cmos reset problem. I understand Clover should fix that now?

The kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 are: 

FakeSMC

IONetworkingFamily

NullCPUPwerManagement

I then tried adding the other kexts from my Mavericks install, but had the same restart issue.

Last screen grab before restart: post-642001-0-03038200-1414322540_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure where to begin with fixing this... Thanks for any suggestions! 

@ROBASEFR

I'm trying to make the switch to Clover. Attempted this a year ago and didn't have much luck...

In post 4409, you provide two screenshots for the clover custom install setting. The 2 screenshots are identical. I'm assuming one of them should show the bottom portion of the options (drivers, etc.). Would you be so kind to upload the other screenshot?

Thanks!

Colddiver

here are my clover install settings:

General rule of thumb: only install stuff that you know you will need. Try to boot with minimalistic settings first and then add things like audio etc

edit: I described a couple of months ago how to install yosemite. This still applies but I replaced the IONetworking with the RTL811v3 kext from Mieze

edit2: the screenshots here are for my install on the usb thumb drive. If you want to install on the EFI partition, you have to check "Install Clover in the ESP"

post-387347-0-46064400-1414331849_thumb.png

post-387347-0-73931900-1414331856_thumb.png

config-without-serial.plist.zip

Partial success!

Was able to boot Yosemite from Clover (finally!). I had no network and no sound though. I will try the toleda thing for audio. For network, I had the same RealtekRTL81xx.kext I used with the scripted setup in my CLOVER/kext/10.10 folder but somehow it didn't load. FakeSMC loaded fine though.

Will be trying to troubleshoot the audio and network issues - if any of you has any pointers, let me know.

Getting closer now at least!

Colddiver

@ROBASEFR

I'm trying to make the switch to Clover. Attempted this a year ago and didn't have much luck...

In post 4409, you provide two screenshots for the clover custom install setting. The 2 screenshots are identical. I'm assuming one of them should show the bottom portion of the options (drivers, etc.). Would you be so kind to upload the other screenshot?

Thanks!

Colddiver

Sorry about that !

I modified the second screenshot

@robasefr

Ah! Network is a go.

I haven't had any success yet with the Toleda script though...

Colddiver

In config.plist  with "Clover configurator"

Devices:

Did you make  "1" active in Audio ?

This should be your Kernel and Kexts patches menu:(when you apply latest Toleda V3 Clover command) https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

post-305243-0-58330700-1414409849_thumb.png

Good luck

:)