[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

After upgrading to 10.9.5, I am no longer able to run the Kext/kernel installer.  I get the error message, "Kext/kernel installer cannot proceed with no OS installed!"  The selected drive is definitely the correct drive.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I had been playing around lately with fixes for iMessages/Facetime (new serial and other accompanying SMBIOS values).

My system has been really stable for years thanks to this forum, so I haven't been around much lately.  Thanks again for the community!

HackInstaller_8.1.2_fail.png

ryansimms,

Sorry about that. I'll release an update shortly. I think the script had trouble parsing the OS version at that point. I've made so many changes, I've lost track of many of them.

OS X Yosemite GM Candidate is up and running on Chameleon r2401 with the kext-dev-mode=1 flag. Not sure if that's going to work on the final. We'll have to see.

Anybody have WIFI on GM Candidate? Mine doesn't even show up as a service - Atheros 9380.

Lots of changes have been in in the script - again. Boot disk install works, as long as the kernel is installed separately. Haven't been able to extract it from the packages, yet. Hopefully, I can use Andy's decompkernelcache LZVN/LZSS compression utility to do this, although it appears to be designed to work on the kernel cache.

kind regards,

MAJ

• Like 1

Anybody have WIFI on GM Candidate?

kind regards,

MAJ

I have a USB dongle DWA-140 ( RT2870) which is working on Yosemite GM but not 100% stable.( and i have to put kext in S/L/E !)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299948-usb-wifi-updated-ralinkmediatek-rt2870-rt2770-rt3x7x-rt537x-rt5572/?hl=%2Brt2870&do=findComment&comment=2064234

Good luck !

Ah. Got her fixed up.

I noticed during the cache build I got the following in the log:

AirPortAtheros40.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.

AirPortTheros40.kext is a plugin in IO80211Family.kext.

So, I just extracted the two kexts from the installer and reinstalled them and set permissions. All okay, now, and posting from it.

MAJ

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 10/8/14 - version 8.5.0

• Support for OS X 10.10 Yosemite: Lots of script changes were required, mostly dealing with the kernel path being changed from the drive's root directory to /System/Library/Kernels, as well as the kernel's default name from "mach_kernel" to "kernel". Much of the script has been rewritten and commented.

Another issue creating more work is the new compression type used for the OS install packages and kernelcache. This means that the script is unable to unpack the install packages to extract the kernel, as is usually done. So, the vanilla kernel (version 14.0.0), located in Kernels, needs to be installed separately.

Making Yosemite bootable in the Chameleon bootloader would not be possible without the dedication and hard work of a number of developers: Andy Vandijck, Pike R. Alpha, and MinusZwel, to mention a few.

• Enabling/disabling TRIM support for third-party SSDs has been added for OS X 10.10 Yosemite - located in Utilities.
  • Check native power management status on running system in Utilities: Fixed some bugs and updated script to show Turbo Boost calculations for both Nehalem and Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge microarchitecture in log.
  • Create Fusion drive: Reworked the confirmation reply to be safer. This is one area where mistakes cannot be tolerated. After confirmation, the selected drive(s) will be destroyed to create or defuse a drive.
  • Updated VoodooHDA.kext to 2.8.5 for Mavericks.
  • Updated FakeSMC.kext to 6.10.1323 for compatibility with OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
  • Added and updated the following themes: Mavs, Mavs Style, Universe, idisplay, and LoginToLion.
kind regards,

MAJ

• Like 4

Great D_D,

Thanks for maintaining this topic and your script wich is my "Bible" since almost 5 years now !  Even if I switched to Cloverbootloader....

Updating is so marvelous with Clover,  specially in Yosemite ! :yes:

Suggesting you to change:

• FakeSMC.kext and plugins and HwMonitor for version 6.11.1328 (Change  (HWMonitor: Minor UI tweaksBug Fix  and GeforceSensors: Better support for 10.10))
  • For LAN: Realtek RTL8111/8168 Kext v 1.2.3 from Mieze

Have a good day

• Like 1

i'll try your script later. but what is the content inside it? its look like a bunch tons of files?! :lol:

Yes, it's loaded!  :D

Script_contents.jpg

Still no joy.  Any ideas?

You're kidding me!

Do you have the OS installed on the partition you are working with?

Would you post your install log for me?

Here's my shot with the 10.9.5 volume selected as target:

Script_screenshot.jpg

UPDATE: 10/12/14 - version 8.5.1

• Kext/kernel installer and Boot cache updater: Removed the "System cache boot" option, as the current bootloader doesn't appear to want to load this cache (without the "ignore caches" option). Also, reworked script to prevent it from creating a Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches... when a "Combo Boot" or "Extra Boot" option is selected. If one is present, it will be deleted by script, also. This is done now, because the current bootloader appears to have trouble booting with these basically duplicate caches, leading to a immediate kernel panic, with the "Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary" message.
  • Plist Editor: Fixed a bug where renamed Apple RAID volumes would not appear and their plists were inaccessible. This was due to the fact that the original RAID name stays intact in the diskutil AppleRAID list command and the script was using that as the basis for RAID names.
  • Made minor changes to user interface in Kext/kernel installer and Update boot caches function, as well as corrected misspellings in Bootloader installer.
  • Updated FakeSMC.kext to 6.11.1328.
  • Updated RealtekRTL8111.kext Mieze to v1.2.3.
  • See Known issues in the OP if you are encountering booting issues.

Hi all people.

Long time w/o login hehehhe

I just have finished my system with a GA-Z97-HD3, following the same steps found it here:

http://zhenghomepc.blogspot.com.es/

I have some issues when working, like a 1 seconds lag o feel like that when switch from one application to other, feels like the app is suspended or something.

I have to install the script of this page? I have working video with nvidia and audio from motherboard very well.

Apologize about my english.

Trying to use latest Gold Master 10.10 and the script is stuck at:

Your choice? 1
Mounting: OS X Install ESD
Waiting for "OS X Install ESD" to verify and mount...

The terminl windows just alternates between awk and bash. It never gets past that. I have the Install OS X Yosemite Developer Preview.app in the Applications folder

Suggestions?

Trying to use latest Gold Master 10.10 and the script is stuck at:

Your choice? 1

Mounting: OS X Install ESD

Waiting for "OS X Install ESD" to verify and mount...

The terminl windows just alternates between awk and bash. It never gets past that. I have the Install OS X Yosemite Developer Preview.app in the Applications folder

Suggestions?

How long did you wait? It can take a long time to verify a new disk image.

If you try to mount it manually from the Finder, it'll do the same thing, but you get the option to cancel the verify.

Try the manual approach:

Select Yosemite Installer app and "Show Package Contents"

Dig down through "SharedSupport" and mount the "InstallESD.dmg" disk image.

See if the script can continue from there and mount the "BaseSystem.dmg"

(The "BaseSystem.dmg" image is invisible, but can be opened manually via the Terminal. Let me know if you need more assistance.)

regards,

MAJ

You're kidding me!

Do you have the OS installed on the partition you are working with?

Would you post your install log for me?

Here's my install log.  Yes, that drive is definitely my boot drive.

Thanks

######################   HACKINSTALLER v8.5.0 INSTALL LOG   ######################

######################    Sat Oct 11 22:11:31 EDT 2014    ######################
Reading preferences.
User name: ryansimms
Computer Name: Hackintosh SSD
Running OS version: 10.9.5 Mavericks (13F34) - 64-bit kernel
Darwin Kernel Version 13.4.0; xnu-2422.115.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Working Volume: Hacky SSD (disk0s2)

#### Growl notification system not installed.

<==================>   Select Drive   <==================>
#### diskutil list:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Hacky SSD               255.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *300.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Raptor                  299.7 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ExtraDrive              319.7 GB   disk2s2
/dev/disk3
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS G-DRIVE                 2.0 TB     disk3s2
/dev/disk4
   0:                                                   *45.8 GB    disk4

#### Checking for RAID setup: No AppleRAID sets found
####

#### Checking for Fusion setup: No CoreStorage logical volume groups found
####

Previously saved volume selection: Hacky SSD - disk0s2
Saved selection is correct and confirmed!
######################
Saved drive: Hacky SSD - disk0s2
Install Type: Extra
Kext Loading Type: Boot cache
######################
Hacky SSD = Working Volume!
Target OS: OS X not installed on this volume. 
This volume is the startup drive. Some restrictions will apply.

<==================>   Kext/Kernel Installer   <==================>
Hacky SSD = Working Volume!
Target OS: OS X not installed on this volume. 
Kext/kernel installer cannot proceed with no OS installed!

Should i install the "HackInstaller script package UPDATED! - 10/8/2014 - v8.5.1" ??

I have a ga-z97-hd3 with sound and working with a few lag on hdd or apps

If you have a working system, I don't see any benefit from using the script.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by lag on your hdd and apps?

Here's my install log.  Yes, that drive is definitely my boot drive.

Thanks

<snip>

ryansimms,

Can you post the contents of your SystemVersion.plist, located on your Hacky SSD?

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

Should look like the following from mine:

<dict>
    <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
    <string>13F34</string>
    <key>ProductCopyright</key>
    <string>1983-2014 Apple Inc.</string>
    <key>ProductName</key>
    <string>Mac OS X</string>
    <key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
    <string>10.9.5</string>
    <key>ProductVersion</key>
    <string>10.9.5</string>
</dict>

P.S.

What is on disk4???

You have another disk, which appears to be a logical AppleRAID or Fusion drive, but there is no name or drive type???

Is your SSD the only drive that your OS is on, or did you attempt to create a Fusion drive at some point?

regards,

MAJ

• Like 1

If you have a working system, I don't see any benefit from using the script.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by lag on your hdd and apps?

I`m working with Unity, a visual editor like autocad or something.

For code elaborate i use, monodevelop, another app to write on c# or js

When i use alt+tab to jump from Unity to monodevelop, i have an issue, like a little lag, and i have to wait 1 or 0,5 seconds to manipulate the code.

I`m testing my system, and only can reproduce this lag on this situation, and when i`m using monodevelop, this app have autocompletion of words and thinks like this, and have lag too in this system...

Thank you very much for your support.

well maybe its a monodevelop bug... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1754449/is-monodevelops-editor-slow-for-you

I never have seen this on my old imac....

------ edit

Well, i want to test it disabling something on monodevelop like autocompletion...

How can i check i have all working fine on my hackos? I have sound, bluetooth, and i think my nvidia detected fine, but should i check anymore?

Apologize about my english.

Edited by c1ru

Sounds like a Monodevelop bug, just as you mentioned. Did you disable the Version Control plugins (or just "Git support"), as mentioned on the stackoverflow forum?

This type of lag doesn't appear to be a symptom of a badly configured hackintosh. I don't see how a bad configuration would cause that type of lag.

I, personally, don't think you have a issue with your system. Just a software (or plugin) bug with Monodevelop. 

best of wishes,

MAJ

Digital Dreamer, I have used your script for I don't now how many OS X versions with great success, but with Yosemite I run in to problem for the first time.

After I have used your script package v8.5.1 the following Panic occurs:

panic (cpu 8 caller 0xffffff88888f1174): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/ ...

It has something to do with the Darwin Kernel v. 14.0.0.

Any idea on what I shall do to solve the issue?

/L

Lucky-Eagle,

This is a combination of Yosemite and bootloader changes. Of all the major updates I've worked with since Snow Leopard, this one is the most frustrating. I gave up a few times, only to return a couple weeks later to try again. It took me and many others a long time to figure out what's going on and what to do.

Your KP looks like the infamous "Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary" KP.

Here are my comments, posted on the front page:

Known issues:

• Kernel panics on boot: I've been finding that in the latest Chameleon bootloader releases, it's no longer possible to boot with a mkext cache file in /Extra, unless you use the "ignore caches" flag (-f). An alternative is to use the "Combo Boot" option, where a cache made up of both the /System kexts and /Extra kexts is placed into /Extra. The best option, however, is to install all kexts into /System (S/L/E) and use the kernel cache (UseKernelCache=Yes). This is the Apple-approved method and will provide the fastest boot times, as all kexts are processed in advance and pre-linked to the kernel. If you install all kexts into /System, the script will automatically set this flag for you.
  • Because of the enhanced security model of OS X Yosemite, modified kexts that are not signed will not be loaded (invalid or missing code signatures). To get around this issue and load the unsigned kexts, you need to add the kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag. This is the Developer Preview mode that allows unsigned kexts to be loaded for testing.
Also, notice this question with a similar response:
  • Booting from the bootloader results in a immediate kernel panic, with "Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary" message.

This can happen if the bootloader is unable to, or refuses to, load the kext cache and basically gives up going further. Try booting with the "-f" option (ignore caches and reload kexts). On a RAID or Fusion setup, try using the "Combo Boot" option, if you have kexts in /Extra. This will build a cache made up of both the /System kexts and /Extra kexts and place it into /Extra. Best results come from installing all kexts into /System (S/L/E) and using the kernel cache (UseKernelCache=Yes). This is the Apple-approved method and will provide the fastest boot times, as all kexts are processed in advance and pre-linked to the kernel. If you install all kexts into /System, the script will automatically set this flag for you.

Hope this all hopes.

MAJ

Edit: Added the kext-dev-mode=1 flag note.

ryansimms,

Can you post the contents of your SystemVersion.plist, located on your Hacky SSD?

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

Here's my systemVersion.plist, thanks.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>13F34</string>
<key>ProductCopyright</key>
<string>1983-2014 Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Mac OS X</string>
<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.9.5</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.9.5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

P.S.

What is on disk4???

You have another disk, which appears to be a logical AppleRAID or Fusion drive, but there is no name or drive type???

Is your SSD the only drive that your OS is on, or did you attempt to create a Fusion drive at some point?

regards,

MAJ

That was just a blu-ray that was mounted.

Hi all,

first of all i'm sorry for my bad english :(

I'm looking at this guide to install Yosemite and i have a question:

"For Yosemite: Do not install the script, as we are not able to extract the command-line utilities needed from the install packages at this time. To complete the install process, you will need to run the script from a different install or another Mac."

Do you mean that I have to create the boot disk from another working OSX (like my ML)?

<snip>

Do you mean that I have to create the boot disk from another working OSX (like my ML)?

You can create the boot disk from any system or OS version. You just won't be able to run the script inside the OS installer environment. You'll need to boot into your other install to run the script. Hope that's clear.

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 10/17/14 - version 8.5.2

• Tested with public release of OS X Yosemite.
  • Native power management does not work via Chameleon's bootloader flags. Additionally, the final release of Yosemite will KP shortly after boot if the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded, necessitating that it be disabled. So, the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is now part of the kext install process. Given that native power management has been moved into the kernel itself, the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not needed, anyway. Power management appears to work fine in Yosemite with the appropriate DSDT mods on this GA-EX58-UD5 board with the Core i7 920 CPU. See d00d's GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications for info on this modification.

I have a modified DSDT file with native power management stripped in for the GA-EX58-UD5 board and Core i7 920 CPU you can use. It's located in the "Plists_and_other_files" folder, named "NPM_EX58-UD5.dsl," and will be visible within the DSDT Patcher as option #2. Do not use this if you do not have the same board and CPU!

• Updated audio kexts: 13 AppleHDA.kexts (v266.5) for Yosemite (ALC662, ALC88x, ALC89x, ADI1988B-ADI2000B, and VT2020-2021), plus VoodooHDA.kext v287.
  • See updated Known issues below if you are encountering booting issues.
  • Like 1