[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

1) performance : graphical performance and cpu performance is lower using clover : 8400 (geekbench) compared to 9900 using chameleon and my dsdt. Any clue about how can i fix it?

2) vga connector does not work in clover, unfortunately ... i couldn't find anything how to get it working in clover. In snow leopard it is pretty "automatic" , but HDMI doesn't work in snow... any solution to get vga working on yosemite and to get it working on clover? I have black screen using  VGA connector with clover and it works ok with snow leopard with chameleon. I have nvidia card (geforce 210 1gb)

3) internal audio does not work...i would like to use properly patched AppleHDA of course, not voodoo... any suggestion?

i found and modified the VirusX config.plist file, but audio and graphics does not work here.

sorry about my late response, I wasn't checking this thread regularly any more.

Regarding graphics performance and the VGA adapter unfortunately I can't help you since I have never owned a Nvidia card. Generally I would suggest you get a newer monitor because VGA hurts your eyes  :P

about 3) you should check toleda's posts about patching the AppleHDA. He wrote some scripts and it's pretty straight forward now. I think I also described it a few posts/pages back here in this thread.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not using Chameleon anymore but did you use the latest Chamaleon 2.3 r 2549 ?  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-23-svn/

And did you put the "kext-dev-mode=1" as Kernel Flag ?

Look carefully the first page of this topic ! "Known issues:"

Good luck

Yes, the kext dev mode was set to 1.

Regarding Chameleon, I am using the one included in the latest version of Digital Dream script which is r2395, I should consider an upgrade (but it was not neccessary, see below)

Following the Known issues  (Kernel panics on boot section) recommendations (which I did not checked before, I should have...) I put all my kext in the /System and use the kernel cache (UseKernelCache=Yes).

And it worked :)

My only issue was then the App Store which was not working. 

I googled this, and it appears that it was related to my ethernet port being en1 instead of en0

I simply changed my mac model (changing from MacPro5,1 to MacPro4,1 in the smbios.plist) and this issue was solved.

Thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for the guide and thanks to VirusX and everyone who contributed to this great thread.

I am rather new to clover, it is not the easiest way to go coming from good old chameleon, but i am experimenting it in my great and glorious desktop with ga-ex58-ud5 . I am using it with an external usb thumb key, as suggested, and It seems to work flawlessly.  I still have a couple problems / questions about that :

1) performance : graphical performance and cpu performance is lower using clover : 8400 (geekbench) compared to 9900 using chameleon and my dsdt. Any clue about how can i fix it?

2) vga connector does not work in clover, unfortunately ... i couldn't find anything how to get it working in clover. In snow leopard it is pretty "automatic" , but HDMI doesn't work in snow... any solution to get vga working on yosemite and to get it working on clover? I have black screen using  VGA connector with clover and it works ok with snow leopard with chameleon. I have nvidia card (geforce 210 1gb)

thanks!

mal

Did you try to load VBios option in Clover bootloader ?

Tutorial How to :

Download your .rom videobios for your card and put it in EFI/Clover/ROM

format : "ID constructor"_"CardID".rom              (example: GPU Device Id: 10DE_0A65.rom) where 10DE = ASUS and 0A65 =card type)

You have to find your ROM here:  http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=G+210&interface=&memType=&memSize=

or extract the rom from your graphiccard wilt GPU-Z under windows !  http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2452/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-8-1/

Good luck

:)

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys does anyone one know to to get the HDMI port on my gtx760 to work? I plug in a 4k tv into that port and get nothing, i can only get something using the dvi ports

GTX 760 not need any driver, working  OOB 

I think its the 4K TV the problems 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm stuck with a system that won't even post. I installed Yosemite and installed Clover. All was working fine for a couple days. Then one morning i came down and the machine was off and from that point forward it would not even boot or post, can't get to BIOS. 

Upon trying to boot i do get the splash screen of the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5, but that's as far as it goes. So the fact that it does show me a page makes me think that the video card and motherboard are still ok?

I've replaced all the RAM and tried a couple other sticks and the results are the same. I've unplugged all harddrives, replaced all power to MB and video card multiple times and i'm still stuck.

This seems to be an issue for others and i faintly remember dealing with this myself in the past, but can't find a solution.

Also bought a new power supply as that was my first guess for resolving the problem. Corsair RM750 didn't fix the problem.

I'd love to keep this old rig going so i don't have to drop the money on a new build right now.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be dead or wrong?

Here are my spec's and again Yosemite was on and working with everything but imessage when it suddenly died.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield | GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 | OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM (x3) | XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB GDDR5

have you tried a CMOS reset? there's a button on the back of your computer that you have to press (for a few seconds I think). 

For me, it sounds like a BIOS/Mainboard problem because you can't even get into the BIOS. Can you get into the BIOS flashing menu?

Usually you should be able to get into BIOS without anything attached except the power supply and RAM (and a graphics card with monitor hehe)...

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm writing to you because I need to know which kext are needed in Yosemite with GA-P35-DS4 or similar motherboard.

I currently installed Yosemite with Clover and I have only two kext: FakeSMC and RealtekRTL81xx. I think I'm missing something about USB and hard disk...

Hello all,

I have a problem with running yosemite... I have been using this pc since Leopard version and i was able to run it smoothly but now i have a problem with yosemite.:

Specifications

-------------------------

1. CPU -- I7-920

2. Motherboard -- GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

3. GraphicsCard -- Nvidia GT 640

Bootloader -- Chameleon

---------------------------

Ok here it goes:

I 've succesfully installed Yosemite in HD, but cannot make it run.. First of all it i had the "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.2/iokit/Kernel" problem but it seems to missed the knonw issues subthread, i have overcome this by using -f at the bootloader..

Now i have the problem "Kernel trap at 0xffffff80006980997, type 14=page fault, registers:.....".. etc

I have tried every command at the startup -f -x -v GraphicsEnabler PCIRootUID etc... but with no success..

Can someone help me please?

Thank you for your time in advance, !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

K man, have you considered trying clover as bootloader? It's quite easy to use and most of the people have switched by now... good luck

I would like to install Clover (and Yosemite) on my EX58-UD5.

Is there any tutorial for this board ? I did not found any... 

@iCore

Just use the standard config.plist of clover and FakeSMC in clover's kext folder and you should be able to boot into the installation of yosemite.

For audio I'm using toleda's patch (you find more information here in the forum).

I posted a working config.plist in this thread some pages back - you can use this to compare it. It might have some old formatting in it though.

It's quite easy since our old hardware works basically OOB nowadays ;)

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

any success stories with El Capitan yet for us EX-58-UD5 users? Care to share your adjusted clover config.plist? Haven't had time to read into all the changes but I'm getting more and more curious to try the public beta  :)  thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind again.  So i just redid the Yosemite and moved forward.  Yosemite works now.  Went the Chameleon route.  Everything looks good except restart/shutdown and sleep isn't working.  I started to go down the Clover path but after installing that Bootloader my Maverick system wouldn't boot.  I use sleep a lot and that works perfectly in Mavericks.  I used the NPM_EX58-UD5.dsl from digital_dreamer but still no go.  No KPs but no functionality either.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Used d00d's GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications.  Basically just took his DSDT file.  Sleep works with a small pop in audio when coming out of sleep.  used Apple's migration assistant and it looks like I'm all transitioned to Yosemite.  Thanks all.  And a big thanks to digital_dreamer for the past 4 years keepin my system going.

Went to 10.5.5 and saw some issues.  After reboot kept getting bios corrupted/defaulted.  My mobo is an EX58-EXTREME so I crossflashed to F13 EX58-UD5 and used d00d's latest DSDT.  Also he had a link to applertc patch for cmos reset.  That problem was solved.  Next problem was after sleep my audio device was gone.  I got lucky here in that apparently 10.5.5 overwrote the original AppleHDA kext.  Went back to digital_dreamer's kext and that problem is gone.  So my sleep works perfect.  Rarely do I shutdown/reboot so this was the #1 priority.  Audio has pop coming out of sleep but big deal.  My shutdown/restart is a little flaky but I'm considering the transition to Yosemite done.  

so long and thanks for all the fish digital_dreamer and d00d

Yes I meant 10.10.5.  Came here to start looking to do 10.11 Beta in anticipation of final release.  This last update may be the end of the road for my mobo even though it has worked awesomely.  

I installed El Capitan public beta on a spare partition - works with the same patches that also work in Yosemite. I haven't tested all the options but as far as networking, audio, sleep, etc goes, Clover does a good job :)

post-387347-0-05943500-1440872080_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,    

I want to thank digital_dreamer and virusX for posting on this forum,  I couldnt do this without their posts..

anyways,   with the help of virusX config.plist and kexts, I was able to install mac on my GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard using Clover..     Although I dont have sound, which I guess I need to use Toleda's audio Kext. (which looks very complicated, so ill work on that on a later date)  

I have a few questions.

1.)   I used FakeSMC and Realtek LAN kext as mentioned by VirusX,   and his config.plist to clover to boot Yosemite install USB.   it installed just fine.  now the question I have is,   can I just take the Kext from Digital_Dreamer's script and put it in my clover kext area?   I noticed sleep works just beautifully,  the only thing not working that I have noticed so far is Sound.  (I am entirely new to clover)  how do i get dsdt? and do I need to do this for clover?  what is clover configurator, maybe thats what I need to do? 

2.)  anyways, I am in need of some help,  I want to be able to dual boot Windows 7 and OS X,     I was told I should install windows 7 first,   so the steps 

a.) create 3 partition   (1.EFI, 2.Windows 7 FAT32, 3 Mac Journaled)

b.) install windows 7 

c.)  use Clover USB disc and boot Mac OS X yosemite

d.) Install Yosemite on Mac partition

I just want to confirm that the above looks right still...   the only thing is,  here is where I get kind of confused...    

once i install yosemite, Im assuming that Windows 7 breaks.... so generally I would use windows 7 disk and repair the problem... then the machine only boots to windows 7,    then do I install clover on EFI partition, and then make that partition active, and then pray that it will boot windows 7 parititon?    

anyways, thanks for all your hard work and for having this thread out.

1.) As I described before, you really don't need additional kexts for sleep etc. And no DSDT.

It might be that you will need more kexts in case you have a USB 3 card or something like that.

clover configurator is just a nice GUI tool to edit your config.plist. It sets all syntax correctly so you dont have to edit the plist with textedit.

2.) as long as you have clover installed on an extra usb drive, you can always boot from that and select (hopefully) your different installs since windows wont mess with that

Loaded El Capitan Developer Beta 7 successfully.  El Capitan seems to require using Clover.  Nonetheless, updated to Beta 8 and my audio got knocked out.  Just now fixed it by going back to the AppleHDA provided by Digital Dreamer for Mavericks.  Restart works but sleep isn't working.  Furthermore, Apple announced a release date of Sep 30 and I got an email saying that El Capitan GM candidate is available.

Oh and I tweaked the Digital Dreamer script for El Capitan.  That helped.

Finally, the Migration Assistant Apple provides works great for saving time getting your new OS set up with all your apps.