[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Ran into an issue.  I've been on ML for a long while because my gpu kept giving me issues when trying to install any newer OS.  I finally decided to get a new gpu and install Mavericks.  The Base System installed properly on a separate internal HD and Mavericks installed on another HD.  Mavericks will boot in just fine but during the initial configuration, about a minute in no matter what step I am on the system will halt.  I tried reinstalling with different bootloaders and kext configs but still no luck.  At one point I got the attached KP but not positive if this was the initial issue.

photo.jpg

EDIT:  I've tried multiple fresh installs with some suggestions from Google searches but Mavericks still hangs at the configuration.  Any ideas?

L3B3R,
I can't see your attached KP (bad link?), but most KPs that occur slightly after boot are related to CPUPowerManagement.kext loading without native power management enabled on your system. So, either you enable power management via bootloader flags (GenerateCStates/GeneratePStates) or modified DSDT or you disable power management by renaming the kext or installing NullCPUPowermanagement.kext.

Apologizes in advance if this isn't in any way related to your issue.

best regards,
MAJ

Apologizes in advance if this isn't in any way related to your issue.

best regards,

MAJ

Of course you were right. I had tried loading the NullCPUPowermanagement.kext but I think only in Extra... it worked in System.  Finished the setup but then had the iCloud not connecting issue, fixed it with DSDT.  Thanks a bunch again MAJ!

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 5/27/14 - version 8.1.0

• Full Fusion drive support: Finally got a SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) to build a Fusion drive on my system. So debugging is no longer guesswork. I recommend installing this setup, if you haven't already. Very fast boots, even on the older 3Gb SATA II ports (260MB/s writes and 270MB/s reads). When using sleep, boot time is just a minor inconvenience. But, when you're doing lots of testing, it becomes a significant factor.
  • Assorted utilities: Added ability to create or defuse Fusion drives. Automatically selects the drives, if only one of each is present, then prompts you for confirmation.

FYI: This Fusion drive build procedure uses the entire drive (all partitions), so all partitions are destroyed in the process. It is my understanding that Apple does not intend to use drive partitions as part of the Fusion drive building process and may completely remove such support in the future. So, if you wish to have additional partitions, repartition the Fusion drive in Disk Utility after it's created.

FYI: It appears that adding the Logical Volume UUID as a boot argument for Fusion drives causes issues - either it may fail to boot or iCloud, iMessage, and Facetime accounts fail at login. So, no boot UUID is added for Fusion drives when the bootloader and support files are installed.

• Modify plists: Fixed a bug that caused Fusion drives to appear twice in the plist lists.
  • Assorted utilities: Reworked and reenabled the SSD Trim Enabler feature with OS 10.9 Mavericks support.
  • Bootloader: Added ability to rename bootloader's bootbanner name for binary downloads. So, instead of Chimera reading as "Chameleon v2.2svn r2378", it's renamed as "Chimera v3.0.1 r2378", based on the binary file's name.
  • Bootloader: Added ability to access bootloader webpage, even with access fails. If check fails, just use bootloader number, followed by "U" (Update) or "D" (Download) to open webpage.
  • Boot disk creator: Fixed a bug that would allow a user to attempt a boot disk install without any kexts available for that OS version. Thanks, Paul! :D
  • Assorted utilities: Fixed a bug that would cause the Native Power Management check to fail, as it failed to parse the OS version correctly.
  • Select boot picture: Fixed a bug that prevented users from selecting from the list.
  • Updated Kexts:
    • FakeSMC.kext updated to v6.8.1307.
    • AppleHDA.kext for ALC885/889a updated to 10.9.3 version (2.6.1f2). If you are still on 10.9.2 or earlier, look in the Audio/Repository for the correct version to install.
    • RealtekRTL8111.kext to v1.2.0
    • Updated IONetworkingFamily.kext to 10.9.3 (version is same, but build number has changed)
For some reason I've exceeded the bandwidth cap of my dropbox account (20GB/day) twice in the last few days. So, I've switched most of the big files to MediaFire. I hope I can reinstate the other links in a few days.

best regards,

MAJ

• Like 1

I found this very interesting thread and was trying to install (as an option - I do install my systems using the second partition method) Mavericks and got twice the same error, the first time while installing through ESD and the second time by a HD partition. The installer fails to complete the installation.

As a newer version is avaiable (I got the 8.1.0), I will retry the install.

Just to give some more info, my system runs on the signature board and now has Mavericks 10.9.3 with everything up and running.

If someone has some advice, please let me know!

Congrats digital_dreamer. Nice piece of work here (even I'm having issues!)

[EDIT]

Just tested the 8.1.1 and the same happens. About 1/3 of the install of ESD I got this:

bzsIfAW.png

Same happens when installing from a HD partition but about half of the install.

[EDIT2]

I remembered another thing and was able to replicate it.

When creating the boot disk, on the very last part I got this pop-up windows, but the script the creation:

post-21488-0-28215100-1401330443_thumb.jpg

asapreta,

Installing: Did you get that "Install Failed" warning while running the installer on the boot disk? What version is the ESD? I may have to check and see if something changed on the 10.9.3 installer.

That last warning about the kernel extensions is normal when the FakeSMC.kext and plugins get installed into /System/Extensions. They will still get loaded. Nothing to worry about here.

Let me know.

MAJ

EDIT:
I just re-downloaded the entire 10.9.3 ESD and ran the Boot disk installer and installed the OS with no problems, with the exception of the DSDT log errors, which I just fixed. Booted right into it with no issues.

Which leads me to wonder how you got that screenshot, if you were in the OS environment. You cannot run the OS installer on the hackintosh by double-clicking on it. It must be run in the boot disk when you boot it.

The only way to install by double-clicking the ESD installer, is on a real Mac. You can then proceed to install the OS on the drive you plan on moving to the hackintosh. Run the script on it after the install, with the exception of the DSDT routine, plug it into the hackintosh and you're good to go.

asapreta,

Installing: Did you get that "Install Failed" warning while running the installer on the boot disk? What version is the ESD? I may have to check and see if something changed on the 10.9.3 installer.

That last warning about the kernel extensions is normal when the FakeSMC.kext and plugins get installed into /System/Extensions. They will still get loaded. Nothing to worry about here.

Let me know.

MAJ

EDIT:

I just re-downloaded the entire 10.9.3 ESD and ran the Boot disk installer and installed the OS with no problems, with the exception of the DSDT log errors, which I just fixed. Booted right into it with no issues.

Which leads me to wonder how you got that screenshot, if you were in the OS environment. You cannot run the OS installer on the hackintosh by double-clicking on it. It must be run in the boot disk when you boot it.

The only way to install by double-clicking the ESD installer, is on a real Mac. You can then proceed to install the OS on the drive you plan on moving to the hackintosh. Run the script on it after the install, with the exception of the DSDT routine, plug it into the hackintosh and you're good to go.

digital_dreamer,

Thanks for your answer.

I was installing using 10.9.3 ESD but I may have misunderstood the instructions. I thought I could or create a boot disc (flash drive, sata hd, iso, dvd) or use the second option to use the ESD to install from a working Installation (in my case was also a 10.9.3 - I was willing to see your script in action), following the script instructions.

I managed to get that screenshot after the script created the "ESD" install for me. Sorry if I misunderstood your guide.

But I managed to make it work, creating a boot disc using one sata HD. I recreated everything, and just to be on the safe side, ran it with -f as kernel flag. Installation was flawless. Everything is working.

My intention is to help a friend to run 10.9.3 on a X58A-UD3R 2.0 motherboard. His main problem now is the GF 8500GT that has no acceleration. I was hoping your script with so many EFI strings for videocards could help.

asapreta,

I understand, now.

That #2 option, "Direct install from DVD/ESD" is a bit misleading. I've thought about just removing it, so that it doesn't create any confusion. Although not recommended, I've found it handy on a few occasions and have actually installed OS X with it. In fact, I just used it for installing 10.9.3 on another drive without any errors while booted in my main system.

But, as usual, particularly in this case, YMMV.

regards,

MAJ

post-323377-0-44359200-1401409694_thumb.png

digital_dreamer,

thanks for the reply.

The actual running system is 10.9.3 and as I made the boot disc and have successfully installed the same 10.9.3 on another drive, as a test I should be able to install it again from option #2, "Direct install from DVD/ESD", right? Same dsdt, kexts (fakesmc only) right? I just can try starting the system with -f flag to see if kernelcache is messing this kind of installation.

What is your opinion?

And thanks for the job and support!

Hello, This is a beautiful write-up.  I am having one issue so far though.

I have gotten only to the point of the language selection of the install.  My keyboard and Mouse are not working at this point and prevents me from moving forward.  Any ideas?

Can i suggest a small features to your beautiful script?

Some users, like me, always have KP with AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and Nvidia cards; if possible can you put a choice link "Do you want to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext? Y/N"?

Ah, ok!

But... Which one should I choose? (you can see my PC in signature)

My suggestion is MacPro3,1 or iMac10,1both run fine in my rig.

I have gotten only to the point of the language selection of the install.  My keyboard and Mouse are not working at this point and prevents me from moving forward.  Any ideas?

Can you tell us more about your system?

I just had this issue as seen a few posts up.

Load NullCPUPowermanagement.kext into System and you should be able to finish your setup.

asapreta: 

I'm just realizing to add the .kext for ps2 from the repository.  I'll let you know what happens.

As for the build, its currently on 10.6.8

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Intel Core i5 2.67GHz

Graphics card:

Current - PNY GeForce 9800 GT 1024MB

Trying to upgrade to - VisionTek HD7750 1GB

Let me know if you have any tips.

Thanks.

well, now after i create the boot device with the USB, it freezes the computer and will not boot past the bios load screen with the USB in.  I take it out and then boots normally

fixed the issue with the boot.  but still having issues with the keyboard and mouse not working when I get to the screen to begin install. (Language Selection screen)

well, now after i create the boot device with the USB, it freezes the computer and will not boot past the bios load screen with the USB in.  I take it out and then boots normally

fixed the issue with the boot.  but still having issues with the keyboard and mouse not working when I get to the screen to begin install. (Language Selection screen)

What keyboard and mouse setup do you have? Is this PS/2?

MAJ

EDIT:

Have you tried the VoodooPs2-10 files in the repository?

There's a little bit of work in installing them.

What keyboard and mouse setup do you have? Is this PS/2?

MAJ

EDIT:

Have you tried the VoodooPs2-10 files in the repository?

There's a little bit of work in installing them.

I have a compaq PS/2 keyboard and a Logitech USB G15

I don't see the VoodooPs2-10 files.  what do I need to do to install them

I see the instructions and the Voodoo folder in the repository, the instructions look as though it's to install to the OS X itself instead of the USB boot drive.  Is there special instructions to get this working?

Hi MAJ

Yesterday my machine crashed and corrupted my boot parition :(

So I had to restart a fresh install from nothing... Well that was a chance to upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks :)

Hopefully all my data is backed up online with crashplan, so now I only need to wait for the download process to end.

Here is a couple of remark about you script: 

First of all, the only thing I have to boot was an old 10.5.6 IPC CD....

I installed it to have something to run the script... But unfortunately your latest script requires 10.6+.
Could you make available an old version that can be run from 10.5 ? Or is it just impossible to create a working Mavericks boot drive  from 10.5 ?

So I made an usb boot drive from a real mac (running 10.7.5) at work.

During the boot process, the screen went black (instead of white) and nothing happened... screen went to power saving and that was all. End of the game :)

It appears that is was due to a missing DSDT.

From my working IPC install and an old version of the script (5.01) I found, I was able to build a DSDT.aml file and copied it on the USB boot disk.

It worked :)

Maybe you could mention that in the FAQ.

Oh, and now a technical question.

I installed 10.9.0 and immediaetly updated to 10.9.3

Update worked fine, but I got a CMOS Reset on wake... (I did not test sleep/wake while running 10.9.0, so I can tell if this is related to 10.9.3 or not)

Any clue on how to fix this ? 

(Note: I am using AppleRTC.kext v2.0 which seems to be the most recent one)