[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 10/28/13 - version 8.0.4

• Added “Remove” feature to kext installer for temporary uninstall/ignore: kext number followed by “x” or “r”
  • Fixed an issue where the script would not recognize a MBR partitioned drive for use as a install target.
  • Fixed an issue in the Boot Disk Creator where on some systems extracting a package failed, resulting in the kernel not being found and copied over. This was due to an older version of the tar command that lacked the --include option. The command has been reworked to function without the --include option.
  • Fixed a bug that occurred when the script attempted to change the bootbanner name when compiling source.
  • The included IONetworkingFamily.kext has been updated to work in /Extra.
  • Added warning message for when a EFI partition is failing to mount and repairs must be done. If EFI partition is unable to be repaired, a new MS-DOS (FAT32) file system is created. The warning message also alerts the user that all data on this partition will be lost and must be recreated.
  • Added "Make System files invisible/visible" to Utilities.
kind regards,

MAJ

Hi,

Thanks MAJ for the script, i have now installed Mavericks and all is well with my system. I am using DSDT mods as described in d00ds thread, and I had already modded my DSDT to get AppleLPC to load and reduce the cpu temps. post in the d00d thread here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/?p=1946667

Also in order for the machine to sleep properly I found i had to make sure in energy saver prefs that 'start automatically after a power failure' was NOT checked.

If it was checked the machine continued to run.

Jon

Hello,

I use for a some years now the dood DSDT(DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_v5) for my processor i7 920.

I did the mod for LPC and  now i can get back from sleep to wake but not a real sleep ( only monitor get's to sleep)

I get this for :  kextstat | grep LPC

39    0 0xffffff7f80abb000 0x11000    0x11000    org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors (901) <19 11 7 5 4 3>

84    0 0xffffff7f81041000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.7.0) <75 11 5 4 3>

I have "energy saver prefs that 'start automatically after a power failure' is NOT checked"

Thanks for your comments

All right, I am up and running…

Had a lot of issues initially booting into the installer. The installer would crash almost immediately. When using verbose, I found that it crashed only after loading all the kext (last lines were):

Starting Darwin x86_64

Boot Args: boot-uuid=01367B6E-6307-34D4-BC3B-C8861296B07 rd=*uuid -f -v

Solution: unplug most USB devices (except keyboard and mouse)... Rebooted fine after that and I was able to install to a spare drive and then, after testing, onto my main OS X drive. I'm using dood's DSDT native power management and a minimal set of KEXT. Sleep works fine. Audio only works with KEXT (didn't need them before).

So far so good... Looks like I may get a few more years out of this rig!

Colddiver

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 10/28/13 - version 8.0.4

• Added “Remove” feature to kext installer for temporary uninstall/ignore: kext number followed by “x” or “r”
  • Fixed an issue where the script would not recognize a MBR partitioned drive for use as a install target.
  • Fixed an issue in the Boot Disk Creator where on some systems extracting a package failed, resulting in the kernel not being found and copied over. This was due to an older version of the tar command that lacked the --include option. The command has been reworked to function without the --include option.
  • Fixed a bug that occurred when the script attempted to change the bootbanner name when compiling source.
  • The included IONetworkingFamily.kext has been updated to work in /Extra.
  • Added warning message for when a EFI partition is failing to mount and repairs must be done. If EFI partition is unable to be repaired, a new MS-DOS (FAT32) file system is created. The warning message also alerts the user that all data on this partition will be lost and must be recreated.
  • Added "Make System files invisible/visible" to Utilities.
kind regards,

MAJ

Thanks!

A quick feedback, I'm still using the old version 8.0.3, when I try to run the following step, the system didn't give me any feedback after I type the 1 to perform the install the clear cache. Did this happen or not? "

• Run Kext/kernel installer (menu #3). For Mountain Lion/Mavericks, install all the audio kexts into /System.

"

OK, I figured seems return will work, but why not just make the 1+return also work?

A quick feedback, I'm still using the old version 8.0.3, when I try to run the following step, the system didn't give me any feedback after I type the 1 to perform the install the clear cache. Did this happen or not? "

• Run Kext/kernel installer (menu #3). For Mountain Lion/Mavericks, install all the audio kexts into /System.

"

I had the following 'sleep' experience with Mavericks on a P55 board: With GE =Yes and "HD sleep" checked, waking from sleep would cause the computer to reboot, check HD sleep and anything thing else - the computer would wake but the monitor would remain in standby, reboot required to get the monitor back.  With GE=No, computer and monitor wake correctly no matter what is checked in power settings. GE=No recognizes the Ati 5770 as a generic Ati5000 (cosmetic only, functionality does not change).

Hello,

I use for a some years now the dood DSDT(DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_v5) for my processor i7 920.

I did the mod for LPC and  now i can get back from sleep to wake but not a real sleep ( only monitor get's to sleep)

I get this for :  kextstat | grep LPC

39    0 0xffffff7f80abb000 0x11000    0x11000    org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors (901) <19 11 7 5 4 3>

84    0 0xffffff7f81041000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.7.0) <75 11 5 4 3>

I have "energy saver prefs that 'start automatically after a power failure' is NOT checked"

Thanks for your comments

That is strange, as i have very similar setup to yours. i have a slightly earlier bios, and in my smbios.plist i have MacPro5,1 i can't remember why i did this, but there was a reason way back. i use the audio dsdt option that does not require and patching or audio kexts. i am using the default kexts as in the script except as i say no audio ketxs, or nullcpu management.

Jon

That is strange, as i have very similar setup to yours. i have a slightly earlier bios, and in my smbios.plist i have MacPro5,1 i can't remember why i did this, but there was a reason way back. i use the audio dsdt option that does not require and patching or audio kexts. i am using the default kexts as in the script except as i say no audio ketxs, or nullcpu management.

Jon

I specify that dood's  DSDT(_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_v5) is for bios F9 up to F13u.    I use F13 mod9 bios (with latest updates for Jmicron,RAID and Marvell bios )

I use since 3 years MacPro 5,1 in my SMBios.plist

Same DSDT and bios with ML or Lion without problems !

I think the mod for LPC is not good for me ! :wacko:

Without it i get only:

kextstat | grep LPC

B)

in 10.9 you need inject deviceid, compatible, name, IOName in DSDT or LPC NOT load, look for your device id and inject it

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    Store (Package (0x0C)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x02, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3b02"
                            }, 

"IOName", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3b02"
                            }, 

"name", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3b02"
                            }, 
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

OK, I figured seems return will work, but why not just make the 1+return also work?

I'm not sure I follow your question.

in 10.9 you need inject deviceid, compatible, name, IOName in DSDT or LPC NOT load, look for your device id and inject it

Absolutely.

For our UD5 boards, just replace the 0x02, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00 with 0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00.

And, replace "pci8086,3b02" with "pci8086,3a18"

Although my script will inject all names for the LCP section, it will only do so if the section has not been modified previously.

I may try to modify the script to strip out an incomplete edit and merge in the complete fix.

kind regards,

MAJ

I'm not sure I follow your question.

Absolutely.

For our UD5 boards, just replace the 0x02, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00 with 0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00.

And, replace "pci8086,3b02" with "pci8086,3a18"

Although my script will inject all names for the LCP section, it will only do so if the section has not been modified previously.

I may try to modify the script to strip out an incomplete edit and merge in the complete fix.

kind regards,

MAJ

Hello MAJ,

Verified your remarks for LPC section in my DSDT and still get:

kextstat | grep LPC

36    0 0xffffff7f80a68000 0x11000    0x11000    org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors (901) <19 11 7 5 4 3>

80    0 0xffffff7f8100f000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.7.0) <79 11 5 4 3>

Kind regards

@robasefr

DSDT.aml.zip

Jon

the mod i made to my DSDT to get LPC to load was detailed here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/?p=1946667

Again like you i have had the same DSDT, and smbios for years. until i made this change.

Hello MAJ,

kextstat | grep LPC

36    0 0xffffff7f80a68000 0x11000    0x11000    org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors (901) <19 11 7 5 4 3>

80    0 0xffffff7f8100f000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.7.0) <79 11 5 4 3>

Kind regards

@robasefr

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

Well, that's what's supposed to happen - the AppleLPC kext loads.

Perhaps I'm missing some detail here.  :P

I see that you mention that only your monitor sleeps and your CPU doesn't. How long have you wanted until the sleep?

Mine takes 20-30 seconds. Longer than I'm used to, but it does work.

I actually have the "Start up automatically after a power failure" enabled, as it doesn't have any effect on sleep.

It shouldn't have any effect on your system, either, because you have the following LPC mod in your DSDT:

Field (LPC0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    AG3E,   1
                }

and it's linked with Method _PTS (Prepare To Sleep method)

So, again, this bypasses the "Start up automatically after a power failure" switch, and should make no difference on your system.

Your DSDT looks okay. There are some errors, but no showstoppers.

I uploaded a fixed version, if you want to try it. dsdt.aml.zip

The only difference you have in your LPC section is that you have two extra items added/named:

subsystem-id

subsystem-vendor-id

I'm not sure what they do or what difference they accomplish, but I certainly don't need those two to have the LPC kext load.

They are removed in the attached version.

kind regards,

MAJ

Hello MAJ,

kextstat | grep LPC

Kind regards

@robasefr

Well, that's what's supposed to happen - the AppleLPC kext loads.

Perhaps I'm missing some detail here.  :P

I see that you mention that only your monitor sleeps and your CPU doesn't. How long have you wanted until the sleep?

Mine takes 20-30 seconds. Longer than I'm used to, but it does work.

I actually have the "Start up automatically after a power failure" enabled, as it doesn't have any effect on sleep.

It shouldn't have any effect on your system, either, because you have the following LPC mod in your DSDT:

Field (LPC0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    AG3E,   1
                }

and it's linked with Method _PTS (Prepare To Sleep method)

So, again, this bypasses the "Start up automatically after a power failure" switch, and should make no difference on your system.

Your DSDT looks okay. There are some errors, but no showstoppers.

I uploaded a fixed version, if you want to try it. dsdt.aml.zip

The only difference you have in your LPC section is that you have two extra items added/named:

subsystem-id

subsystem-vendor-id

I'm not sure what they do or what difference they accomplish, but I certainly don't need those two to have the LPC kext load.

They are removed in the attached version.

kind regards,

MAJ

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 11/1/13 - version 8.0.5

• DSDT Patcher: Script should be able to recognize incomplete LPC edits and strip in the complete fix, so that the AppleLPC.kext will load and Native Power Management will function properly. Script will also recognize if more values were previously injected than the minimum 4 and just move on, rather than replace all previous values with the 4 required.
  • Fixed an issue where the script would not correctly remove the previous conflicting bootloader setup when switching between /Extra and EFI setups, as well as RAID setups. Now, the bootloader files are correctly removed and the stage-1 Partition Boot Record is restored to its original virgin state. This applies to all install setups: /Extra, EFI, RAID, and Fusion.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the "Show System files as visible/invisible" from working in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
kind regards,

MAJ

• Like 1

rais2007,

Most DSDT features are board independent, and some are specific to Gigabyte and this specific model. I can't guarantee the results on non-Gigabyte boards, as I only have a Gigabyte board to test on.

However, the script is designed so that if it is not able to parse and fix a specific area, you will be informed. If it attempts a fix and completely mangles the "repair" so that it doesn't compile, it will simply skip it and move on to the fix, without applying the faulty fix. If errors or warnings are added as a result of the "fix", you have the option of running the patcher again with that particular fix disabled.

Having some vanilla/virgin DSDT files from non-Gigabyte boards can be useful in helping me work out some fixes.

best of wishes,

MAJ

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 11/1/13 - version 8.0.5

• DSDT Patcher: Script should be able to recognize incomplete LPC edits and strip in the complete fix, so that the AppleLPC.kext will load and Native Power Management will function properly. Script will also recognize if more values were previously injected than the minimum 4 and just move on, rather than replace all previous values with the 4 required.
  • Fixed an issue where the script would not correctly remove the previous conflicting bootloader setup when switching between /Extra and EFI setups, as well as RAID setups. Now, the bootloader files are correctly removed and the stage-1 Partition Boot Record is restored to its original virgin state. This applies to all install setups: /Extra, EFI, RAID, and Fusion.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the "Show System files as visible/invisible" from working in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
kind regards,

MAJ

Hello MAJ,

When I launch "RUN_HACKINSTALLER" I get :

Last login: Sun Nov  3 14:17:55 on console

login(1194,0x7fff76b38310) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f911d000a20: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Thank you for me sending the DSDT

I'll send you feedback on that

@robasefr

Hello MAJ,

kextstat | grep LPC

Kind regards

@robasefr

one othe r

I specify that dood's  DSDT(_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_v5) is for bios F9 up to F13u.    I use F13 mod9 bios (with latest updates for Jmicron,RAID and Marvell bios )

I use since 3 years MacPro 5,1 in my SMBios.plist

Same DSDT and bios with ML or Lion without problems !

I think the mod for LPC is not good for me ! :wacko:

Without it i get only:

kextstat | grep LPC

B)

one other thing i forgot that i had to do to get sleep to work was turn off allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer.

J

Hello MAJ,

When I launch "RUN_HACKINSTALLER" I get :

Last login: Sun Nov  3 14:17:55 on console

login(1194,0x7fff76b38310) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f911d000a20: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Thank you for me sending the DSDT

I'll send you feedback on that

@robasefr

@ROBASEFR,

Trying repairing file permissions on that volume. That should fix it.

MAJ

• Like 1

Hello MAJ,

Thanks for your contribution.

I was stuck in the welcome to install page. The page/panel didn't show up as well as the task bar on top of the screen, but I can hear the voice to use English press enter stuff. I was trying to install into a MBR partition and previously I already installed the 10.5.8 and 10.7 using other tools.

Any idea why this happen and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Shawn

bulier,

Did the "desktop" actually show up - gray patterned with circular blend?

I've noticed a bug where the various apps may not show their window (including Apple menu) if one clicks on the desktop prior to the window appearing. Rebooting again and only clicking on the windows when they appear gets pass that.

If you didn't get anything, but a black screen, then I suspect a graphics enabling issue.

kind regards,

MAJ