[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

@ROBASEFR,

Are you saying your system is not able to sleep at all?

Is your DSDT modified, outside what the script does?

I have lots of fixes coming up.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Thank you for your comments MAJ.

Indeed my system is not able to sleep at all !

:blush: I renamed the script's folder after it got copied over too ! (shame on me )

I'm going to install the new rev 2 of Mavericks 10.9 GM (13A603) with your script and comments

and I'll feed back on that !

I'll send you my log files

Best wishes

@ROBASEFR

update: Mavericks GM rev2 13A603 install (updated rev1 ) without any problems with the 8.0beta script

I used Chameleon svn 2.2 r 2266 bootloader in the script, because of two important 10.9 patches (XCode 5 compatibility and Load drivers from /Library/Extensions when using '-f' with OS 10.9)

post-305243-0-58732100-1382383980_thumb.png

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 10/22/13 - version 8.0.3

• OS X 10.9 Mavericks ready.
  • Bootloaders: Includes latest Chameleon v2.2 RC5 bootloader (r2266).

Added modules install option where user can install, remove, or ignore available modules. Use arrow keys to navigate, much like the DSDT fixes.

Changed bootloader update checking and download behavior: Website authentication via command line (curl) has become way too difficult to reverse engineer and the goalpost is always changing. Not worth spending more time and effort on this! However, the script will attempt to determine if an update is available and then open the target webpage in the default browser where the user can download the binaries. The update package can then be dropped into the HackInstaller's ~extra folder for automatic processing.

• Fusion drive: Support for Fusion drive setup. Would appreciate additional feedback.
  • Apple RAID: Support for nested RAID drives (RAID within RAID). Not fully tested, as I don't have such a setup and didn't think this was possible at first. But, I've had users attempt to use the script with such a setup and it was a disaster. Would appreciate any brave volunteers.
  • Advanced Format/4K Sector drives: Support for these drives (Most hard drives sold since 2011). These drives make it hard to install the stage-1 bootloader, which can lead to a "boot 0: GPT" message at boot (in the case of a single drive install) or the bootloader switching to another drive where it finds a valid bootloader. The best way around this issue is to install the bootloader with the target drive unmounted.

Auto method: If the script determines the target partition is not the booted drive and the HackInstaller script is not running on that drive, it will attempt to unmount said drive and perform the stage-1 bootloader install. If it is not able to unmount the drive for some reason (open file, app, etc.), the install will fail and the log will show "Resource busy" at that point.

Manual method: After entering the Bootloader installer, you can eject the target drive and then proceed with the installation.

Install environment: Attempting to install the bootloader on this type of drive within the installer appears to be only possible if it is done prior to installing the OS. (Once the installer has installed the OS files, the script is unable to unmount the drive.) So, try installing the bootloader from the script first by getting the script to copy itself to a drive other than the target drive. This is important, as the script cannot unmount itself! Again, select a different "target" drive and allow the HackInstaller to be copied to it, then change your install target back to the desired install drive. This way, the script can safely unmount the target drive for a successful bootloader install.

• Menu has been reordered: It is in the sequence one would use when installing, starting with OS Installer. Boot Disk Creation has now been moved to OS Installer, as it is the main feature used to install OS X.
  • Added updated Default theme that include Mavericks icons.
  • DSDT Patcher: Added native power management patches. After running this routine, you should be able to uninstall the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, and add two bootloader flags (GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates) to enable the built-in power management features. As for OS 10.9 Mavericks, some extra DSDT editing was required to get the AppleLPC.kext to load for fully functional native power management.

If the script is not able to create a complete fix here (it will tell you one way or another), reboot without loading a DSDT file and rerun the HackInstaller patcher to generate a clean DSDT with fix.

• DSDT Patcher: The script no longer uses fassl's DSDT Patcher utility, as many fixes are now built into the script (but not all). This required that a common fix be scripted in for the "Method local variable is not initialized (Local0)" error.
  • Added fix in Assorted Utilities for "Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" when using the DVD player in Mountain Lion or Mavericks.
  • Script recognizes and works with the Growl 2.0 and the new notification system introduced in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks. Growlnotify 2.0 for the command line is included.
  • Updated FakeSMC.kext to v5.3.901, which includes an updated HWMonitor app (in Misc_Patches repository).
  • Added updated AppleRTC.kext for 10.9 Mavericks.
  • Added Slice's RealtekR1000SL.kext v3.0.4 network driver, which includes support for RTL8168E,F/8111E,F. This is supposed to be better than Realtek's native driver.
  • Added AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext to fix the "A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]" error. This fix is recommended over the framework patch that is used in Utilities. As an alternative to this, one could use the Sata.dylib module that is provided by the bootloader.
  • Fixed permissions setting of installed kexts so that permissions repair doesn't complain. Permissions of kexts have become rather picky. It's no longer chmod 755 all the way through, but 644 applied to specific files.
  • The script will now work in the OS install environment if its folder has been renamed on the boot disk installer. This took a couple hours of rework. LOL.
  • Improved kext cache build error detection.
  • Added cp -p command-line option for RAID copies, so that all RAID files have same modification times. This will ensure to user that all copied files on each helper partitions are the same.
  • Updated ASL Optimizing Compiler (iasl) with version Dec 29 2012.
  • Made a number of changes to the DSDT script, as the new compiler adds lots of extra comments to the code, causing parsing issues.
  • Added 11 new bootloader keys for the Plist editor.
Known issues in Mavericks:
  • Bootloaders: Compiling builds in Xcode 5.0 in Mavericks fails. Some are bugs in Chameleon and some are bugs in the compiler. Xcode 5.0.1 is supposed to fix some things.
  • Native power management: Unless the DSDT is modified further, the AppleLPC.kext will not load at boot and CPU temperatures will be roughly 10 degrees C hotter. The script will fix/patch this issue, but only on a clean, unmodified DSDT (actually, a DSDT that has not had the device ID for LPC Controller added). That is, if you boot without a DSDT file (with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed), the fix can be applied by the script's DSDT patcher.
  • Apple RAID/Fusion drive: Currently, Mavericks boots into a Apple RAID/Fusion drive only using the script's Combo boot or using the kernelcache method. To use the kernelcache, all kexts need to be installed into /System and the script will set the kernelcache flag as "Yes."
  • EFI partition setups: Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Mavericks 10.9 changes the behavior of the EFI partition. Previously, we were initializing the EFI partition as a HFS file system, but this doesn't appear to be possible now. The script will still work with existing EFI partitions that were setup as HFS, but will no longer be able to mount and view them in the Finder.

The new method now is to leave the EFI partition as is, as a MS-DOS FAT32 partition on a freshly partitioned GUID drive. The v8 script will work with this setup now. So, going forward, I recommend existing users with HFS formatted EFI partitions to re-partition their drives. A simple erase will not suffice.

• Growl notifications in Mavericks appears to be sporadic.
  • Keep in mind the Chameleon bootloader uses the kernel cache by default. The latest version of HackInstaller automatically modifies the UseKernelCache flag depending on whether kexts are installed into /Extra or not.
Current script bugs/issues:
  • Not all modules show as available during bootloader install when in the OS install environment. Currently investigating this issue.
  • When changing between EFI and /Extra kext installs, the script doesn't correctly remove the previous conflicting bootloader setup. This fix will be made available in a later release.
  • When compiling a bootloader, the script doesn't compile and gather all modules.
  • In some rare situations, a EFI partition may get corrupted and no longer mount. The script will detect this situation and reinitialize the EFI partition, so that it is usable. However, the script doesn't alert the user to this situation, leaving the partition void of necessary bootloader files.
  • Kexts are supposed to be tagged when installed in /System and checked on each kext install to make sure they have not been overwritten by a software update. When they have been overwritten, the kext is supposed to replace the existing renamed original. This does not work as expected, as software update only replaces updated files in the kext, leaving the rest untouched. This creates a hybrid kext that contains updated Apple files and some modified kext files. I'm working on a different approach to this problem. Note that this feature is only important if/when one wishes to uninstall a kext in /System that has a Apple-named equivalent and restore the original vanilla version.
Best of wishes,

MAJ

• Like 4

Thank you for your comments MAJ.

Indeed my system is not able to sleep at all !

When you select Sleep from the Apple menu, nothing happens?

Try doing that and then open Terminal and type: pmset -g assertions

Post the results. This should tell us what is preventing sleep.

MAJ

I wonder how I can pull the maverick installer from the app store or if i need to find it elsewhere

The installer is downloaded to the Applications folder.  No need to do anything else as the script finds it there.

curious if anyone has just upgraded their 10.8 to MAV then run this script?

Someone may correct me but I don't think this is possible as the machine needs to restart during the installation process.  I wish it was that easy.

Just wanted to share my experience.  DD's installation instructions say to skip the EFI string setup in step 4.  You may still need an EFI string in your plist in order to get graphics during installation.  If your current setup includes an EFI string then you may want to copy that into the new script's plist.

I run an nVidia 9800GTX+ and after booting into the newly created boot disk my monitor would turn off.  That's because the graphics were not working due to not having the EFI string included in the creation of the boot disk.

After including the EFI string I got graphics and was able to install Mavericks on a seperate drive.  Upon booting into the new drive it stalled and would not boot into the OS.  It was super early this morning so I didn't have time to mess with it but hopefully I can figure it out when I get home. 

Once again, thanks a lot for the work DD!

• Like 1

Hello MAJ,

Thanks for the great work on the script.  It was a near flawless install - everything works except sleep.

Steps followed:

Booted with NullCPUPowerManagement

generated the DSDT

removed NullCPUPowerManagement, and rebooted.  

When putting the system to sleep, the screens will power down but the computer remains on.  I installed my previous DSDT which restored sleep, but then AppleLPC wouldn't load, resulting in much higher temps. I had the same issue with 10.8.5 but solved that by modifying AppleLPC.kext directly.  Tried that with Mavericks but no luck so far.  My next step will be to try to mod my old DSDT to get AppleLPC to load.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks again!

When you select Sleep from the Apple menu, nothing happens?

Try doing that and then open Terminal and type: pmset -g assertions

Post the results. This should tell us what is preventing sleep.

MAJ

Hello MAJ,

Thanks a lot for your splendid new script and your comments.

Like ( tling) When putting the system to sleep, the screen will power down but the computer remains on. No wake.

I'm going to look closer to my DSDT because AppleLPC didn't load .LPC.kext from FakeSMC.Kext/Plugins took it over.

Taking now some days off, So I'll reply next week.

Thanks again !

@tling and @ROBASEFR,

Why don't you email me both your working DSDT (the one where sleeps works, but with higher temps) and the non-working one, and I'll see if I can modify them for you?

Email me at digital(underscore)dreamer(at)mac(dot)com

This will also give me an opportunity to compare them and modify the script to fix this issue.

best regards,

MAJ

MAJ

Got everything working according to your info on my girlfriend's hackintosh. One error I get when I try to Boot Cache Updater is;-

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update!"

Now Im getting fairly slow boot up speeds & desktop/icons/drives appear very slowly 5 to 10 seconds after desktop appears. Is this anything to do with it? A 2.8Ghz 6GB RAM, Barracuda boot drive / GA58 UD5 mobo/ GTX580 shouldn't be this slow?

MAJ,

Thanks once again for your terrific work.  I have successfully installed Mavericks on my old "Mountain Lion Backup" hard drive and most everything is working well (I am writing this on this drive). 

I have encountered an odd problem when trying to install it to my old "Mountain Lion" SSD drive.  When I launch the HackInstaller this SSD does not show up under the "HFS-formatted target volume:" list.  I have erased the drive and it still will not show up, even though it appears in finder and disk utility?  It has two partitions, so I am reluctant to reformat it since I use the second partition as my Windows 8 drive.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

@driftwood,

That is a permissions issue. Did the script install that kext or was it installed some other way?

If the script installed it, it's the script's fault as it wasn't installed with proper permissions. Let me know about this.

@bernito,

Ouch. I see the problem. The SSD drive is clearly partitioned as a MBR drive, but the script is not recognizing it. It assumes it's a EFI partition (diskXs1) and ignores it.

Let me fix this.

MAJ

Hello MAJ,

I sorted out the sleep issue last night.  I reverted to my old DSDT but edited PX40 so AppleLPC.kext loaded.  Right now everything is perfect.  I have sent both DSDT's to you, the script generated DSDT and the hand patched one based on d00d's work.  

Thanks again for the years of support to this board.

The only thing I have left to do with Mavericks is to get Apple to update my DVD installed versions of my iApps. 

Verry interrseting the new one  for Mavericks  and Nice works !! thanks   :thumbsup_anim:   just one question, during the proced for a DVD for Mavericks , he show me chameleon r1923 

Ihope its not right   :blush:

123410.png

Great work on Mavericks script!

Everything works except for sleep...it goes to sleep (monitor off) but the desktop remains on.

I can wake up it up with no problems though.

Here's the info from pmset:

mset -g assertions
10/24/13, 11:28:44 PM ED
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 1
   PreventDiskIdle                0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   0
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   InteractivePushServiceTask     0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 13(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c00000133] 02:12:42 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
   pid 38(mds): [0x0000000c00000132] 02:12:42 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
Kernel Assertions: 0x104=USB,MAGICWAKE
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=10/24/13, 9:20 PM description=USE2 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
   id=504  level=255 0x4=USB mod=10/24/13, 9:28 PM description=USB3 owner=AppleUSBUHCI
   id=506  level=255 0x4=USB mod=10/24/13, 9:23 PM description=UHC3 owner=AppleUSBUHCI
   id=508  level=255 0x100=MAGICWAKE mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=en0 owner=en0

@christ1111,
Hmm. The only way that could happen would be if the user reverted to a previously installed bootloader version while in the "Bootloader installer" screen.
The boot disk is going to install whatever Chameleon bootloader is present in the "Bootloader installer."

@bbchucks,
Thanks for that info. It's not too revealing, except to say that the Spotlight indexing was running during that request.

Here's a question for everyone experiencing sleep issues: How long did you wait for sleep to occur?
Shutdown for me currently takes between 20-30 seconds. Quite a bit longer than I'm used to (it used to take just a couple seconds.)

And, that's with hibernate mode 0, where no RAM contents are being written to persistent storage (hard drive). So, I don't know what's it doing in that time frame, except sending sleep requests to all peripherals (including USB) and waiting for a response. It may be waiting for some processes to gracefully quit/stop.

Now, in hibernate mode 3, where RAM contents are written to storage for backup in case of power failure, it takes my system slightly over a minute to go to sleep. Now, this will vary from user to user, depending on how much RAM is currently being used at the time sleep is requested.

And, those who have sleep fixed, how long is it taking your system to go to sleep?

In the meantime, I'm comparing various DSDT files and how it affects sleep. 

MAJ

That is a permissions issue. Did the script install that kext or was it installed some other way?

If the script installed it, it's the script's fault as it wasn't installed with proper permissions. Let me know about this.

The script installed it. I'll look into it further.

Hmmm I see in your script  AHCI_3rdparty_sata.kext is  dated 08 August 2012 in Kexts 10.9 and in my current /Extra/_Kexts_for_Extra,

but there is a kext in my S/L/E which is dated 31 October 2011 which Im about to ditch and see if all is ok.

UPDATE: Yep, no more errors on that ketxt after removal.

EDIT: Does anyone know why when the desktop  appears, the icons & dock takes about 10 seconds to load? (I know Im used to hi-speed boots on my z77 i7 system but surely hard disk boot up on the GA58 UD5 line shouldn't be this slow! 

Hey MAJ,

Tried the script but it failed on my system with the 10.9 installer from the App Store. Tried to create a boot disk and got an error that no kernel was found (install failed)...

I will try creating the boot disk manually but I thought you would like to know...

Colddiver

colddiver,

Can you send me the install log on that attempt?

I'd like to see what's going on.

kind regards,

MAJ

EDIT:

Nevermind. I think I see the problem: The Apple Store version doesn't have "Install" in the name anymore. It's just "OS X Mavericks"

So, I'll modify the script with that in mind.

Just to be sure, did the script find the installer and mount the dmgs on the desktop?

Hello MAJ,

Thanks for the great work on the script.  It was a near flawless install - everything works except sleep.

Steps followed:

Booted with NullCPUPowerManagement

generated the DSDT

removed NullCPUPowerManagement, and rebooted.  

When putting the system to sleep, the screens will power down but the computer remains on.  I installed my previous DSDT which restored sleep, but then AppleLPC wouldn't load, resulting in much higher temps. I had the same issue with 10.8.5 but solved that by modifying AppleLPC.kext directly.  Tried that with Mavericks but no luck so far.  My next step will be to try to mod my old DSDT to get AppleLPC to load.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks again!

Hi,

Thanks MAJ for the script, i have now installed Mavericks and all is well with my system. I am using DSDT mods as described in d00ds thread, and I had already modded my DSDT to get AppleLPC to load and reduce the cpu temps. post in the d00d thread here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/?p=1946667

Also in order for the machine to sleep properly I found i had to make sure in energy saver prefs that 'start automatically after a power failure' was NOT checked.

If it was checked the machine continued to run.

Jon

PS just a small thing the set about this mac logo option doesn't seem to work. i liked having my gigabyte apple logo!

PPS CUDA support for the nvidia gtx 285 is currently broken, apparently it is a known issue.

5870 isn't playing nice at all..double checked all the graphics kext and as in 10.8 already have my device ID, not sure why GraphicsEnabler isn't working..

**edit, looks like the installer from the app store didn't drop all the extensions to the thumb drive, got it somewhat sorted out

Hi dd,

I've been using your script since Snow Leo.  Great job!  Have a bit of a roadblock issue, and I'm hoping you/others can help.  I'm running Mountain Lion now, and I'm attempting to make a bootable USB installer for Mavericks.  However, my MBR-formatted USB drive does not appear in the list of available targets in your script.

For argument's sake, I tried installing to a GUID-formatted drive, the script succeeded.  However, the resulting USB drive hangs at the BIOS screen on my mobo (GA-EX58-UD5).

Not sure how to proceed from here.  Tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with my MBR disk, and the USB disk was created successfully, but I get the famous reboot loop when trying to start from that.  I'm confident I'd have better luck with your script, if only I can get it to recognize my disk.