[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi MAJ,

Can you advise on whether this would work?

I have updated iStat to the latest version for Lion and I am no longer able to monitor cpu temps etc. AFAIK this can be fixed by adding some additional fakesmc plugin kexts (ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, SuperIOFamily.kext) - available through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Can these be installed into my fakesmc.kext plugins folder manually and caches rebuilt?

Also, there already appears to be versions of ACPIMonitor.kext, SuperIOFamily.kext (alongside IntelThermal.kext) in the plugins folder - do I copy over these and delete the IntelThermal.kext?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Funny that I started working on this issue the day before you posted this, as I wanted it working with iStat Menus 3.18 and this would be a break from my normal projects. This is a common problem and the solution doesn't seem to be easily found.

This is what I've found after several days of searching and reading:

There are basically two issues that come up with running iStat 3 for Lion:

1. MenuCracker, the utility used to get data to show up in the menubar, no longer works in Lion, as Apple changed the way data from 3rd-party software can use the menubar.

2. iStat for Lion (3.18) now has stricter filters regarding what Mac it's running on based on Mac identity data.

A. The iStat Pro widget happens to display CPU temps fine, but only for two cores and no other CPU-related data is available.

B. Several have been trying to get around this issue by using a iStat 2 build for Lion

This wasn't the route I wanted to go.

C. Some have downloaded an earlier version of iStat 3 (3.05) and installed the latest MenuCracker release.

Again, this wasn't the route I wanted to go.

The real fix:

D. Intel4Ever posted at the tonymacx86 forum that he changed the Mac Model Identifier to MacPro5,1 and this, I find, is what made all the difference for me. I would use the Chameleon Wizard by Janek202 and use the SMbios editor to create a MacPro5,1 setup. I don't know if just changing the Model Identifier is all that's needed for iStat 3 to work, but I populated all the fields and included random numbers for the serial.

After a restart, if no sensors show up in iStat, then try downloading the latest Plugins here. Choose the link "Release 10.6 rev493.zip".

Install the following kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

The SuperIOFamily.kext and IntelCPUMonitor.kext are actually plugins, but don't install them inside the FakeSMC.kext, just install them like usual kexts. I found that I can install the IntelCPUMonitor.kext as a PlugIn inside FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns and it works fine. However, the SuperIOFamily.kext doesn't work for me inside FakeSMC.kext.

This will work in a Extra/Extensions or Extra/Extensions.mkext (boot cache) setup. They also work in S/L/E.

I will be updating the script to include these changes.

FakeSMC_iStat_Menus_3.png

best of wishes,

MAJ

The real fix:

D. Intel4Ever posted at the tonymacx86 forum that he changed the Mac Model Identifier to MacPro5,1 and this, I find, is what made all the difference for me. I would use the Chameleon Wizard by Janek202 and use the SMbios editor to create a MacPro5,1 setup. I don't know if just changing the Model Identifier is all that's needed for iStat 3 to work, but I populated all the fields and included random numbers for the serial.

MAJ - Epic! Thanks so much for this incredibly useful write up.

My feedback is as follows:

I didn't add any plugins/kexts.

I used the wizard to create a 5.1 smbios. I wasn't sure so left the Bios Date, System Version and UUID fields empty (see below). On reboot I have my CPU sensors back. I don't have any of the other sensors available to me (fans, drives and voltages)

I'm curious, did you add the other kexts to get the extra sensors or are they available to you with just the smbios tweaks?

If you didn't add any other kexts, why do you think I can't access all the sensors? Could those blank fields in the smbios be responsible?

Many thanks as always for your invaluable help

Screen%20Shot%202011-11-07%20at%2015.05.33.png

just choose option #1 to check for updates and it will find the latest update for Chameleon. Option #1 will change to "download" update, so choose it again and download it. Then, install that bootloader for your system. Done.

Hm perhaps I'm doing something wrong; as soon as I tell it to check for updates, it starts with this error:

./~extra/Resources/Scripts/HackInstaller.sh: line 1514: /.../HackInstaller/~extra/Bootloaders/Chameleon_v2.1-RC5/Project_builds: No such file or directory

(I omitted the directory path containing the HackInstaller folder.)

Then it displays "Chameleon v2.1svn: Checking for update" repeatedly over the course of several minutes, and finally gets back to the Bootloader Installer screen, with the Chameleon line saying " 2) Chameleon v2.1svn r1331:1449 Unable to access URL. (revertible to r1518)"

Any ideas?

I've been using a device-properties string in my boot.plist to define my two NVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1Gb cards (running four monitors) without a hitch up to 10.6.7.

I've updated to 10.6.8, but I can't seem to nail down why only one card will work. I've checked and rechecked the string, and I've rebuilt it from scratch using gfxutil plist to hex.

I'm not using Graphic Enabler or any injectors.

I've attached the plist defining the two cards and would highly appreciate any suggestions or help to resolve this.

So far only one card works. It properly shows that it's connected to two monitors in System Profile. The other card shows everything except the Display Connector: fields are blank.

Thanks!

(First Card)

NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

DELL U2410:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: F525M12N0F2L

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

DELL 2007FP:

Resolution: 1200 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: G358H91T1L7L

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: 90

(Second Card)

NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

gf.plist.zip

Cosmin Petre,

Don't add anything else to that smbios.plist. Not needed. You filled in just what I did. Sorry, I did say "I populated all the fields", but no I really didn't. :P

As for why fans, drives and voltages are not showing up:

Fans: Are your fans connected to the mobo and showing up in the BIOS? Stupid question, I know.

Drives: Do you have SMART capable drives and is monitoring enabled in iStat? Note that SMART data cannot be sent over Firewire or USB and is, therefore, unsupported on those interfaces.

Voltage: On our boards, the ITE IT8720 controller is responsible for gathering various motherboard stats. The IT87x.kext (inside SuperIOFamily.kext) or ITEIT87x.kext is responsible for gathering this info (and fans). Look at your kernel log (during boot or in console) and you should note the following if the kext identified a controller to use:

localhost kernel[0]: IT87x: found ITE IT8720F

Try installing in S/L/E and see if that improves things. And, let me know if nothing shows up.

nabziF99,

You didn't do anything wrong. The Chameleon builds server was down and the script wasn't able to get through. It's up now, btw.

I will be releasing a script update that will allow the script to handle this issue more gracefully, as I had the same problem.

hisham_dell,

The device-properties string parsing for graphics changed in 10.6.8 in preparation for Lion. The trick is to add the "Parent" and "Child" designations for the proper cards. Here's what you need to change:

1. For the first or main 9500GT, find the device-type key and change the following string "NVDA,GeForce" to NVDA,Parent. But, I see that your plist has base-64 data types, so lets just change it back to a normal text string. You could convert that string back to a base-64 data type, but I haven't bothered:

Original with base-64 data:
<key>device_type</key>
<data>TlZEQSxHZUZvcmNl</data>

Modified to normal string with "Parent" tag:
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

2. For the second 9500GT, find the device-type key and change to a string with NVDA,Child:

Original:

<key>device_type</key>

Modified to normal string with "Child" tag:
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,Child</string>

EDIT: I forgot to add:

Remove any of the following from both plists:

<key>name</key>

Again, I don't know what the base-64 equivalent is of the "NVDA,Parent" and "NVDA,Child" strings, but it shouldn't matter here.

Hope that helps.

I will release an script update shortly to fix several bugs:

UPDATE: TBA - version 6.53

• Bootloader: Major changes were made by the developers in the latest versions of the Chameleon stage-0 boot0md booter. The script was unable to recognize the binary and issued a "No bootloader is installed" message. This has been fixed.
  • Bootloader: Bootloader versions (not to be mistaken for revisions) are now correctly parsed, so that updates can proceed (e.g. Chimera v1.5.4 compared to Chimera v1.6).
  • Bootloader: Fixed an issue where checks for binary updates would not fail gracefully if the Chameleon builds server was down.
  • Kext/kernel Installer: Added ability to display the version status of the kext to be installed. Like kexts that have a S/L/E equivalent, each kext version to be installed is compared with the one already installed. Its status is displayed with a purple symbol (= or < or >). This will allow one to easily monitor the kext version updates.
  • Kext/kernel Installer: Fixed a minor bug in the help menu.
  • Plist editor: Added subtitles to boot plist key names for better organization.
  • Plist editor: Added the following new keys: KeyLayout, AtiConfig, AtiPorts, display_0, display_1, EnableC2State, EnableC3State, and EnableC4State.
  • DSDT Patcher: Fixed a bug where a custom-named aml file would be disassembled and compiled, but not be copied over to /Extra directory.
  • DSDT Patcher: Fixed a bug where if no fixes were applied in the patcher, the compiling would fail.
  • Added IntelCPUMonitor.kext (FakeSMC.kext plugin) for monitoring of CPU status (iStat Menus, SMC Monitor, etc.).
  • Made changes to the SMbios.plist so that iStat Menus 3 would recognize various stats, like temperatures for CPU, northbridge, and heatsink, voltages for CPU and RAM, as well as fan speeds. If you're having trouble with iStat Menus 3, make sure you update your smbios.plist so that iStat Menus 3 will recognize these varibles.

best regards,

MAJ

hisham_dell,

The device-properties string parsing for graphics changed in 10.6.8 in preparation for Lion. The trick is to add the "Parent" and "Child" designations for the proper cards. Here's what you need to change:

1. For the first or main 9500GT, find the device-type key and change the following string "NVDA,GeForce" to NVDA,Parent. But, I see that your plist has base-64 data types, so lets just change it back to a normal text string. You could convert that string back to a base-64 data type, but I haven't bothered:

Original with base-64 data:
<key>device_type</key>

Modified to normal string with "Parent" tag:
<key>device_type</key>

2. For the second 9500GT, find the device-type key and change to a string with NVDA,Child:

Original:

<key>device_type</key>

Modified to normal string with "Child" tag:
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,Child</string>

EDIT: I forgot to add:

Remove any of the following from both plists:

<key>name</key>

Again, I don't know what the base-64 equivalent is of the "NVDA,Parent" and "NVDA,Child" strings, but it shouldn't matter here.

Hope that helps.

Thanks MAJ! That did it.

You're awesome and generous. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Also, I noticed that with 10.6.8 you can keep the boot card as PEG-1 and not have to change it to PEG-2.

I've attached my plist for 2 x Nvidia 9500GT 1Gb cards in case someone needs it. Use gfxutil to convert to hex with:

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./[plist file] ./[output hex file]

Add output as a string for device-properties in boot.plist.

Regards,

Hisham

Kind regards,

Hisham

Dual_NVidia_9500GT_device_properties_10.6.8.plist.zip

As for why fans, drives and voltages are not showing up:

Fans: Are your fans connected to the mobo and showing up in the BIOS? Stupid question, I know.

When in Bios I see ambient, CPU temps and CPU fan speed. I have the CPU alarm things disabled. Is there something that needs to be enabled?

Drives: Do you have SMART capable drives and is monitoring enabled in iStat?
Doh. My fault - completely missed the option to enable monitoring.

Voltage: On our boards, the ITE IT8720 controller is responsible for gathering various motherboard stats. The IT87x.kext (inside SuperIOFamily.kext) or ITEIT87x.kext is responsible for gathering this info (and fans). Look at your kernel log (during boot or in console) and you should note the following if the kext identified a controller to use:

localhost kernel[0]: IT87x: found ITE IT8720F

I can see no evidence of IT87x on the boot log and/or in Console. Just so I know we're on the same page can you confirm exactly which kexts you are using and their location (with regards to monitoring). I am currently only using your original FakeSMC (with the 3 original plugins). Did you move the SuperIOFamily.kext out of plugins and into Extra or did you replace it with the rev493 version you linked to?

EDITI re-read your earlier post and moved SuperIOFamily(rev493) to Extra and now have all the reading you have. Thanks for the help, and kids - make sure you read things twice! :rolleyes:

Many thanks MAJ

You didn't do anything wrong. The Chameleon builds server was down and the script wasn't able to get through. It's up now, btw.

I tried again and it worked! So I got r1684, then got 10.7.2 running (with iCloud, yay!).

So only remaining issue that I know of right now is the built-in audio; it works just fine in 10.6.8, but in 10.7 (and 10.7.2) the Sound preference just says "No output devices found", same for input. If I plug in my USB headset though, both output and input work with it, just not the audio jacks out the back, to my desktop speakers. Has anyone with this motherboard figured out how to fix that in Lion? Many thanks!

I tried again and it worked! So I got r1684, then got 10.7.2 running (with iCloud, yay!).

So only remaining issue that I know of right now is the built-in audio; it works just fine in 10.6.8, but in 10.7 (and 10.7.2) the Sound preference just says "No output devices found", same for input. If I plug in my USB headset though, both output and input work with it, just not the audio jacks out the back, to my desktop speakers. Has anyone with this motherboard figured out how to fix that in Lion? Many thanks!

I'm assuming you are installing the included ALC885_889a.kext, HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT mod), layout885.xml, and Platforms.xml files for the 889a codex audio.

After starting the kext/kernel installer, the install log should produce the following:

#### Installing layout885.xml into System AppleHDA.kext (version: 2.1.3f7)
#### Disk1s2: Contents of AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources | grep layout885.xml:
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel   8.1K Nov  9 18:11 layout885.xml
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   8.1K Nov  3 18:03 layout885.xml.duplicate*

#### Installing Platforms.xml into System AppleHDA.kext (version: 2.1.3f7)
#### Disk1s2: Contents of AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources | grep Platforms.xml:
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel   312K Nov  9 18:11 Platforms.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   382K Jun 18 15:09 Platforms.xml.original

I'm curious about what shows up in your log.

kind regards,

MAJ

I'm assuming you are installing the included ALC885_889a.kext, HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT mod), layout885.xml, and Platforms.xml files for the 889a codex audio.

Yeah I always just use your default settings on everything so I assumed the script installed the audio stuff like it always has, but apparently it didn't because I just ran the kext installer again and rebooted, and I have audio again. Weird.

Anyway, thank you so much!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work.

I'm now successfully running 10.7.2 on an Apple Software Raid 0 setup.

It took a bit of work even though the solution was easy. Took me 2 days to realise that the reason the USB boot disk wasn't working was because I needed to use "GraphicsEnabler=No" for my 4890. In that time I read up on changes, tried [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and even redownloaded the 10.7.2 installer from the App store.

After that I still couldn't get my final boot going but I quickly discovered using the update boot loader function on your script and installed a newer chimera and used "UseKernalCache=Yes" and that got everything working perfectly.

I'm using cold diver's dsdt and some kexts in S/L/E. I haven't tried them in E/E so I don't really know if that works or not but I'm not overly worried about it.

Thanks again.

knightprozac,

I've run into that problem before regarding the GraphicsEnabler flag. It's seems we are all better off using "No" for the initial installation, because drivers for our card may not be available on that Install disc/drive. This was especially true for Snow Leopard, if you were using the original 10.6.0 Retail disc for installation and no drivers were introduced for your card until 10.6.7, for example. Your AMD 4890 in Lion is also a good example, as it requires Netkas' QE/CI Exotic patch.

I have now turned that flag off for the boot disk installation. Thanks for the feedback and convincing me that this needs to be done.

6.53 Script Update on front page.

kind regards,

MAJ

Hi All,

I've managed to get 10.7.2 up and running fairly well on my rig (i7 920, GA-EX58-UD5, ATi 4890, 12GB ram), using your script and also using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as well.

My main problem was I didnt have an existing OS X install - and had to use a VM Ware based Lion install (so VM in windows 7), to be able to create the USB boot.

A couple things arent working for me right now no matter how hard I try...

Audio (When I went to Voodoo it killed my first install of OSX) though it had sound....

Multi Monitor Support - see I have one of those stupid 4890's that has DVI, HDMI & Display port...sigh lol!

With video, if I have any one of the ports plugged in by itself, it works,so DP plugged into my monitor, HDMI or DVI, however if I have DVI plugged in AND any of the other 2 ports plugged in only the DVI port works.

Currently using netkas's QE/CI exotic patch to make it work on my one monitor. But I'd love to have both.

Im a little bit rusty with installing OSX - last time I dabbled we were only using 10.5!!

Im wondering, would it be better to use this install to prep a install using the script into another hdd?

Should I use a DSDT to get sound working? Or should i use the kext methods?

Is anyone running a Saphire 4890 with DVI/HDMI/Display port and been able to get 2 monitor display working right?

Cheers heaps for any help!!

Not sure why everyone struggles in this thread with an ex58-ud5 and Lion!

Attached is Crusair's highly tweaked dsdt (kudos) modified to Dood's 'audio option A' (kudos also!!)

In Digital Dreamers (more kudos) script you need to browse into the 10.7 kexts folder and move all the stuff into the repository. You do not need anything extra installed for audio.

Run the next install part of the script etc as described. You'll need to restore the original apple kexts if you've done any modifying.

Anyway this dsst will give you analogue stereo out the ud5's green line out jack. 5.1 on the spdif. headphone port, line-in.

Sorted :)Cruisar_audio_A_working_dsdt.aml.zip

I'm wondering if some of my fellow ex58-ud5 owners could share their graphics card experiances?

I had a gtx285 which worked worked real good with sleep/wake etc. BUT it had to go because I cannot live with it being slower than a 4870 because of rubbish osx drivers.

I now have a 5870 that I bought earlier this month. Performance is good - double the 285 in Lion. However it has the hdcp issue like a lot of mac users running a 5870 where sometimes the screen is blank/snow after booting. I can only get DVI output to work, no hdmi, no multi display, no display port. Rather annoying.

So can anybody recommend something? A gtx570 sounds nice but how does it fare with lions drivers? What about a ati 6970?

thanks,

Hey everyone. Hoping you can help me get sleep working again. I've got a very generic install. Basically just used the Hackinstaller script with default options and that was it. Sleep worked fine with 10.7.0. After upgrading to 10.7.2 I removed the sleep enabler kext because I wasn't sure it would work. I've now reinstalled the sleep enabler kext and rebooted and tested sleep and it worked fine. BUt only once. Every subsequent attempt to sleep has failed. The computer appears to be sleeping but doesn't respond and I have to do a hard reset.

Anyone have any insight as to what I might look for? I'd really like to get sleep working again.

Hey everyone. Hoping you can help me get sleep working again. I've got a very generic install. Basically just used the Hackinstaller script with default options and that was it. Sleep worked fine with 10.7.0. After upgrading to 10.7.2 I removed the sleep enabler kext because I wasn't sure it would work. I've now reinstalled the sleep enabler kext and rebooted and tested sleep and it worked fine. BUt only once. Every subsequent attempt to sleep has failed. The computer appears to be sleeping but doesn't respond and I have to do a hard reset.

Anyone have any insight as to what I might look for? I'd really like to get sleep working again.

install the latest next

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list (and reorganize your cache <option 4>)

Not sure why everyone struggles in this thread with an ex58-ud5 and Lion!

I second this...just go plain DSDT and you will be fine with Updates etc.

Anyway this dsst will give you analogue stereo out the ud5's green line out jack. 5.1 on the spdif. headphone port, line-in.

Sorted :)Cruisar_audio_A_working_dsdt.aml.zip

Nice Job...I never got around doing that :P

Hope you guys are having fun with your Hacks

I wanted to take the time to thank CruiSAr for his many contributions to the Hackintosh community, especially here in these threads.

CruiSAr made available his highly edited and extremely small DSDT file for UD5 users. This was useful for fast boots and bare minimum kexts for a vanilla-as-can-be setup. I think he was down to just one kext (FakeSMC.kext). Also included in the custom DSDT were d00d's SpeedStep mods, which allowed native CPU power management.

CruiSAr also offered his time and expertise in troubleshooting many issues for various users in this thread, as well. Much appreciated, especially when I would be away for long periods. :)

Happy Macintoshing on that iMac!

I envy the 27 inches of monitor goodness, the speedy SSD access, and enormous 16GB of usable memory! :D

kind regards,

MAJ

The thanks goes to you MAJ for your wonderful script and the wonders it does.

And of course d00d and LocusOfContol....

If you guys don't hear from me again then happy holiday's. :D

----Edit----

Nevermind... My AppleHDA.kext wasn't patched! Oops :)

But I now am not detecting my DVD (optical) drive. It is IDE so I may have to change that out for sata...

------------

Hey Maj,

It's been a long while since I first started working with the EX58-UD5. It has be my all time favorite build and has held up great for a first gen i7 board! It has been working like a champ until I performed a new 10.7 install on my new SSD hard drive. For some reason, my audio is no longer working. I have a patched dsdt.aml but I don't know if that is the problem. I have attached my extra folder along with the extensions I have in S/L/E. I also attached a screenshot of system profiler and the sound preferences panel.

If anyone else can help me find out what is wrong with my setup, please let me know. I am also on F12 bios and vanilla kernel with no other system modifications other than the added extensions in the attached file.

And Maj, great work on your script. It's much more complex than when we first started! It's helped me out on quite a few occasions!

Thanks in advance,

Wolfie

Lion.zip

post-153235-1321651175_thumb.jpg

Hey Maj

I just updated to the latest script and Chameleon build, 1684 I think. When I did this the scrip worked beautifully renamed all the original boot.plists, no problem. I am now however getting an issue with my raid setup. When I try to boot into it my Hdd cant redirect to the internal OSX raid. I've check that the UUID is correct in the boot.plist but still no luck, have you had any issues like this before? Any ideas for solutions?

UPDATE...

well it would appear that deep down in the recesses of the com.-.plists I had an old UUID sitting around that kept misdirecting the drives when they would load. I changed that allowed OSX to pull the new UUID into the rair boot partition and I'm back up and running... for now, I'm about to bump to 10.7.2

10,.7.2 is running almost perfectly here, but there is an issue i have to report: After the update my hackint0sh online sometimes shuts down completely. I use Chimera 1.5.4 with the following kexts:

DSDT built with hackinstaller script

IOAHCIBlockstorage

Jmicron36xeSATA

ALC885_889a

HDAEnabler

IONetworkingFamily

FakeSMC

NullCPUPowerManagement

Sleepenabler

OSXRestart (OSXRestart, Evorestart etc. have no effect on this).

It happens sporadically, let's say 80% of the time it will not shutdown completely.

I have an issue with sleep too: It works, but after wake i get a KP - sleep never worked for me on this board, however.

Is there someone having the same issues?