nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

THANK you VErdant,

I am such an idiot, mixing up the dsmos and fakesmc ;) . Sry for wasting your time ;) Booting 10.6.4 working perfect

Ok now the nforce problem:

I installed nforce LAN via installer: Reboot/Shutdown problem.

I then tried out the method you postet above(I that right?--> I just copied the code to terminal--> some errors appeared, but it seems that something was done).

I just was happy, when I was able to reboot normally, but then I noticed that Ethernet was dead :( .

I than just tried to copied the nforcelan kext form S/L/E to E/E. Then Network was working, but again reboot failed(Even when I retried these steps from that point)

Should I delete extensions.mkext?

Hope you can help

Suggest you try the following:

1. Remove any nForceLAN kext(s) from /E/E/ and from /S/L/E/

2. Go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ and delete Extensions.mkext

3. Put nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /S/L/E/

4. Reset nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

5. To ensure that the nForceLAN kext in /S/L/E/ is also included in the Extensions.mkext file in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, go to the Terminal and type:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

6. Reboot with -v

If, once you have sorted out the nForceLAN kext location(s), you are still having problems, nvenet.kext may be the problem..........in which case:

7. Put the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext that I included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 in /E/E/

8. Create a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ for it

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s IONetwokingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

9. Rename the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig
ls -l
exit

Ok I tried these steps.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extension

brought some errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext

the last step was not sucessfull, because i did this one time ago.

So result: Ethernet working, reboot still fails

Trying with older/newer versions?

Hey guys,

Sorry its been a while. As soon as the Arg vs Mex game is over im goin to try and do all the steps to fix my install. I tihnk mine might be a mix of dsmos and fakesmc. Well i hope its that simple. And it seems to be weird that my computer is connected to the network but its not sharing anything. Kinda annoying...

Ok I tried these steps.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extension

brought some errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext

the last step was not sucessfull, because i did this one time ago.

So result: Ethernet working, reboot still fails

Trying with older/newer versions?

My guess is that the Ethernet and reboot problem not likely to be related........

Do not worry about errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext on kextcaching...........it is only because symbolic links cannot be cached in Extensions.mkext.......the kextcache command has worked because your Ethernet now works........ :D

Can you give me some more detail on how you go about rebooting and what you see on screen.......screenshots would be helpful...........?

Hey Verdant!

I think it is related to nforceLAN, as I said even if I have the nforceLAN in S/L/E but the ethernet was not working for some reasons(First time I tried steps Ethernet wasnt working), reboot was working.

When Ethnernet Repaired (or nforceLAN moved manually to right folders etc.) reboot was unsucessfull.

Reboot was also sucessfull on 10.6 clean install and fresh 10.6.4 update(if that helps ?!)

The reboot progress is for me like interupted or something. It is like normal reboot or shutdown (screen just goes black, or better the screen gets no input), but the machine is still running(the LED´s on my Case are blinking--> Machine is still on). I waited 10 minutes, but no movement.

Screenshot would be useless, I guess, I could make a video, if its really necessary(but you will only see what I described)

Thank you for your endurance

Hey Verdant!

I think it is related to nforceLAN, as I said even if I have the nforceLAN in S/L/E but the ethernet was not working for some reasons(First time I tried steps Ethernet wasnt working), reboot was working.

When Ethnernet Repaired (or nforceLAN moved manually to right folders etc.) reboot was unsucessfull.

Reboot was also sucessfull on 10.6 clean install and fresh 10.6.4 update(if that helps ?!)

The reboot progress is for me like interupted or something. It is like normal reboot or shutdown (screen just goes black, or better the screen gets no input), but the machine is still running(the LED´s on my Case are blinking--> Machine is still on). I waited 10 minutes, but no movement.

Screenshot would be useless, I guess, I could make a video, if its really necessary(but you will only see what I described)

Thank you for your endurance

What I mean is that it is not the nForceLAN.kext that is the problem.........but because the kext activates your onboard Ethernet............the active port may be affecting reboot somehow.......

I say this because:

A. I have an Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus 650i chipset MOBO with no issues with Ethernet/nForceLAN/reboot/shutdown issues when running 10.6.0 through to 10.6.4 using OpenHaltRestart.kext.......

B. On restart/shutdown I get a screen message saying something like "all processes killed, CPU shut down" etc........I will post the exact message when I am back on the PC.......

So, some "silly" questions:

1. What you describe is what happens when you try to "sleep" the PC..........sleep does not work on nForce MOBOs at present.........you have not accidently installed SleepEnabler.kext to try it? It does not work........

2. In BIOS, check your LAN settings such as wake on LAN, LAN Boot ROM etc.......also your Suspend mode settings......

3. Have you got Firewire enabled or disabled in BIOS?

What I mean is that it is not the nForceLAN.kext that is the problem.........but because the kext activates your onboard Ethernet............the active port may be affecting reboot somehow.......

I say this because:

A. I have an Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus 650i chipset MOBO with no issues with Ethernet/nForceLAN/reboot/shutdown issues when running 10.6.0 through to 10.6.4 using OpenHaltRestart.kext.......

B. On restart/shutdown I get a screen message saying something like "all processes killed, CPU shut down" etc........I will post the exact message when I am back on the PC.......

So, some "silly" questions:

1. What you describe is what happens when you try to "sleep" the PC..........sleep does not work on nForce MOBOs at present.........you have not accidently installed SleepEnabler.kext to try it? It does not work........

2. In BIOS, check your LAN settings such as wake on LAN, LAN Boot ROM etc.......also your Suspend mode settings......

3. Have you got Firewire enabled or disabled in BIOS?

Okay:

1. There is no sleeoEnabler.kext, never touched this

2. LAN Controller is Enabled, Lan Boot Rom was disabled, enabling seems to have no effect

3. Firewire was enabled, disabling also no effect

Hm ;)

Is there any hope? Should I do a reinstall with that new BIOS settings, would there be any effect?

If you have no other idea, I will post a complete BIOS Screenshot+ Manual, and a complete screenshot package with kexts in E/E and S/L/E, if that could help

Okay:

1. There is no sleeoEnabler.kext, never touched this

2. LAN Controller is Enabled, Lan Boot Rom was disabled, enabling seems to have no effect

3. Firewire was enabled, disabling also no effect

Hm ;)

Is there any hope? Should I do a reinstall with that new BIOS settings, would there be any effect?

If you have no other idea, I will post a complete BIOS Screenshot+ Manual, and a complete screenshot package with kexts in E/E and S/L/E, if that could help

It looks like I will need to look at what you propose to send...........

Hey, you have PM.

I think we should switch to private messages, instead of making this thread bigger and bigger. The solution can than be posted ;)

Agreed.........I have replied by PM............

Hello Verdant,

Thank you very much for your continued support of people using this guide and others you have written.

I exchanged a couple of messages with you last week or so and you pointed me to this guide as I have the same motherboard as you, Asus P5n-e sli.

I've printed and read this guide and honestly, I just dont understand it well enough to use it. I got as far as formatting a USB drive to use with retail DVD and then I just cant follow what to do exactly yet.

But, I found another guide you wrote, "TriBooting Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Using iATKOS S3 Version 2 Snow Leopard". I followed this and managed to get Snow Leopard running but with one limitation - I am stuck on 1024 x 768 resolution. I've searched extensively and realise now this is a common issue. I have read about EFI strings and the possibility of removing and installing kexts but I just need a little bit of advise and help specific to what I should do.....I'm not greatly experienced with this but I'm learning.

My GPU is a 6800GS 256mb. With Leopard Kalyway 10.5.2 I used NVInject 256 and it worked perfectly. With this iAtkos Snow Leopard install, only using GraphicsEnabler will successfully boot the OS, but the only resolution available is 1024 x 768.

I realise you will probably need more information from me to be able to help and thats fine :(

Regards,

Paul.

Well Verdant!

I have a booting 10.6.4 kernel thanks to you! I wish i could give you a huge hug or somethin. Id send you a few bucks but i am BROKE as a JOKE... College sucks sometimes... Well I am possibly one of the happiest people alive. I was gonna sell my desktop but i didnt want to. And now i dont! Thank you so much!

Hey Paulyh,

What i did was if your using 2 different hard drives you can be inside your Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 and run the 10.6 snow leopard install disk and run the OSXinstall.mpkg and install it directly to the other hard drive or partition and then just install chameleon RC3 and EFI string and it should work perfectly. You just gotta boot up with "-v arch=i386" and your good. Thats what i did. All the USB installers and that nonsense wouldnt work for me.

*EDIT* BTW if you wanna get in touch with me googletalk = SilverSix311

Well Verdant!

I have a booting 10.6.4 kernel thanks to you! I wish i could give you a huge hug or somethin. Id send you a few bucks but i am BROKE as a JOKE... College sucks sometimes... Well I am possibly one of the happiest people alive. I was gonna sell my desktop but i didnt want to. And now i dont! Thank you so much!

Glad to help.......... :)

Hello Verdant,

Thank you very much for your continued support of people using this guide and others you have written.

I exchanged a couple of messages with you last week or so and you pointed me to this guide as I have the same motherboard as you, Asus P5n-e sli.

I've printed and read this guide and honestly, I just dont understand it well enough to use it. I got as far as formatting a USB drive to use with retail DVD and then I just cant follow what to do exactly yet.

But, I found another guide you wrote, "TriBooting Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Using iATKOS S3 Version 2 Snow Leopard". I followed this and managed to get Snow Leopard running but with one limitation - I am stuck on 1024 x 768 resolution. I've searched extensively and realise now this is a common issue. I have read about EFI strings and the possibility of removing and installing kexts but I just need a little bit of advise and help specific to what I should do.....I'm not greatly experienced with this but I'm learning.

My GPU is a 6800GS 256mb. With Leopard Kalyway 10.5.2 I used NVInject 256 and it worked perfectly. With this iAtkos Snow Leopard install, only using GraphicsEnabler will successfully boot the OS, but the only resolution available is 1024 x 768.

I realise you will probably need more information from me to be able to help and thats fine :)

Regards,

Paul.

What happens when you try to change resolution via System Preferences > Displays? Do you see different resolution options in the pop-up window?

SilverSix311 - Thanks for the reply. So you think I should try just installing with the retail DVD and pointing it to the second drive from within my current 10.5.2 installation. Interesting, I'll give it a go and see.

Verdant - Via system preferences only 1024 x 768 is available as an option.

SilverSix311 - Thanks for the reply. So you think I should try just installing with the retail DVD and pointing it to the second drive from within my current 10.5.2 installation. Interesting, I'll give it a go and see.

Verdant - Via system preferences only 1024 x 768 is available as an option.

Check that you have NVDANV40Hal.kext in /S/L/E/ and try first switching your display connector port (if you can) to the other port on your graphics card) (if your card has two)

From post #1, have you tried all 3 methods (mutually exclusive) for getting nVidia graphics cards working:

The 3 easiest methods for getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first).

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....

3. NVEnabler injector kext, Injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well......

The NVEnabler.kext (32bit/64bit) is not just another injector kext because it does on-the-fly ROM patching to give a more stable output configuration.......but you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info,plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext (to see which of these kexts you need to modify to suit your graphics card(s), look at the list of Snow Leopard supported nVidia cards in post 1.......the older NVDANV30Hal, NVDANV20Hal and NVDANV10Hal kexts are not present in Snow Leopard.....).

If not try all three and report back.............

Since the Southbridge chipset deals with SATA/PATA I/O, I suggest you try the various AppleNForceATA kexts to see which one is the most stable with your setup and use pattern, and also use the nForceIOATAFamily.kext..........see post #1...................you could also see if unchecking "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver improves matters................

It appears that all I had to do was uncheck put the hard disk to sleep when possible fixed this problem. I haven't tried tranfserring anything, but just played around in Logic for over an hour without a freeze. I got my fingers crossed that that's all I needed to do.

It appears that all I had to do was uncheck put the hard disk to sleep when possible fixed this problem. I haven't tried tranfserring anything, but just played around in Logic for over an hour without a freeze. I got my fingers crossed that that's all I needed to do.

Hope it stays that simple........... ^_^

Yo I have trouble booting the dvd. I have a sata dvd drive as sata 5, and 2 identical sata HDD's as sata 6 and 7. I can almost boot my retail disk using nForceSLBOOT for sata. AppleNForceata can find everything and there are no sam read write errors, but when the framebuffer pops up, the only thing I can do is move my spinning beach ball on a gray screen. After about a minute of nothing, HDD activity and DVD activity stop completely. I have an xfx NForce 680i LT, 64 bit compatible cpu and 6 gigabytes of ram. I have tried booting with "arch=i386 maxmem=3072" but still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. My setup can run osx, I have booted and installed leohazard before ( but leohazard just doesnt work well at all ) and I have had a working SL installation ( but I had to upgrade from this really wierd distro called LawlessPPC )

Yo I have trouble booting the dvd. I have a sata dvd drive as sata 5, and 2 identical sata HDD's as sata 6 and 7. I can almost boot my retail disk using nForceSLBOOT for sata. AppleNForceata can find everything and there are no sam read write errors, but when the framebuffer pops up, the only thing I can do is move my spinning beach ball on a gray screen. After about a minute of nothing, HDD activity and DVD activity stop completely. I have an xfx NForce 680i LT, 64 bit compatible cpu and 6 gigabytes of ram. I have tried booting with "arch=i386 maxmem=3072" but still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. My setup can run osx, I have booted and installed leohazard before ( but leohazard just doesnt work well at all ) and I have had a working SL installation ( but I had to upgrade from this really wierd distro called LawlessPPC )

1. nForce chipset MOBOs that use AppleNForceATA can only boot in 32bit mode

2. What happens when you boot with

arch=i386 cpus=1 -v -x maxmem=2048

3. As for DVDRW use, your easiest path will be to use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and connected as Master, as usually the SATA DVDRW may be able to read but cannot burn disks in OS X.....

@ Starbuxx

Its a 10/100 Card, same values as onboard device. Windows seems ok, its a bit slower, perhaps 10%, but in OSX its 90% slower or so, watching youtube is horrible.

In my Windows Device Manager it says: D-LINK for Realtek RTL8139/810x Family

Is there an alternative kext for that?

Also some things I noticed: I installed Steam for MAC and CounterStrike Source runs, but a bit laggy and slow( even slower than on my old notebook). Is it, because of inserting the string just to com.apple.plist, so I have to try the third method(injector?) on post #1?

The Realtek RTL8139/810x Family chipset can be problematic..........try the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext (MD5: 1AECD6B3788E378BA1AFB918CC7595EA) in /E/E/.....

@ Starbuxx

The Realtek RTL8139/810x Family chipset can be problematic..........try the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext (MD5: 1AECD6B3788E378BA1AFB918CC7595EA) in /E/E/.....

Thank you!!

I tried it out, removing the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and instert PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext using some tutorials. It is working, but was it right? Would it also work with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in E/E? Would that be a better alternative?

Greetings

Starbuxx

Thank you!!

I tried it out, removing the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and instert PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext using some tutorials. It is working, but was it right? Would it also work with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in E/E? Would that be a better alternative?

Greetings

Starbuxx

Hi there,

Glad it is working for you........ :)

If you have onboard LAN switched off in BIOS there is no need to worry about nvenet anymore.......

I would try putting your modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (contining PCGenRTL8139.kext in PlugIns) in /E/E/ with a sym link in /S/L/E/ since a future system update by overwrite it with a newer IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/..........

I installed snow lepord server late last night, it was going pretty slow on a core2duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram so i let it go for an hour and i think it either finished and restarted or auto-restarted. now i boot chamelon off the thumb drive and choose the server partition. it begins to boot and then sadly a cancel sign apears and it hangs, so via google that is a form of a kernal panic and not being able to find the root directory properly.

soo what am i doing wrong.

USB Thumb drive

Chamelon RC3 with i386flag and graphics enabler yes

I installed snow lepord server late last night, it was going pretty slow on a core2duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram so i let it go for an hour and i think it either finished and restarted or auto-restarted. now i boot chamelon off the thumb drive and choose the server partition. it begins to boot and then sadly a cancel sign apears and it hangs, so via google that is a form of a kernal panic and not being able to find the root directory properly.

soo what am i doing wrong.

USB Thumb drive

Chamelon RC3 with i386flag and graphics enabler yes

An install should take about half an hour.........here are the contents of the USB flash drive installer I use on my MOBO:

post-200327-1278169906_thumb.png

The AD1988bFix.kext and the nForceIOATAFamily.kext are not needed for the SL installation procedure.......

Try in order the following:

1. Use Chameleon RC3 alone

2. Use a simple com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

3. Use only the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ with no Extensions.mkext file on the USB flash drive or on the HDD OS X volume

AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V2

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

4. PM me a download link for your DSDT.aml file