nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Yes it is. I have an IDE drive too, should I try that? Is there anything I have to change?

Definitely YES, change to the IDE DVDRW..........jumper set it as Master and connect via the Master connection on a 80-wire IDE cable to your MOBO IDE Channel...........see IDE Connection in post #1...........if you have your BIOS set up according to my template for your 750i, then you should not have to make any BIOS changes............

Definitely YES, change to the IDE DVDRW..........jumper set it as Master and connect via the Master connection on a 80-wire IDE cable to your MOBO IDE Channel...........see IDE Connection in post #1...........if you have your BIOS set up according to my template for your 750i, then you should not have to make any BIOS changes............

My mouse and keyboard (both usb) don't seem to be working...By the way, how long does it usually take it for you to load the installer? Approximately

Also, I edited my last post with a screenshot that I took before it started loading some other stuff.

My mouse and keyboard (both usb) don't seem to be working...By the way, how long does it usually take it for you to load the installer? Approximately

Also, I edited my last post with a screenshot that I took before it started loading some other stuff.

Should not be more than 5 minutes to the Installer........

Your USB keyboard/mouse problems are not a surprise because of the USB EHCI Acquire from the BIOS error message.......

What are all your BIOS USB settings..........

Should not be more than 5 minutes to the Installer........

Your USB keyboard/mouse problems are not a surprise because of the USB EHCI Acquire from the BIOS error message.......

What are all your BIOS USB settings..........

Here is a screenshot of my settings:

http://i35.tinypic.com/35mfsm0.jpg

EDIT: WOW, I unplugged my mouse earlier to try booting without it and forgot to plug it in.

Here is a screenshot of my settings:

http://i35.tinypic.com/35mfsm0.jpg

EDIT: WOW, I unplugged my mouse earlier to try booting without it and forgot to plug it in.

LOL...........these things happen.............try boot flags again as I suggested previously........

LOL...........these things happen.............try boot flags again as I suggested previously........

I used "-v arch=i386 EHCIacquire=yes cpus=1 maxmem=2048"

I partitioned and now I'm installing after your guide. since i used arch=i386 that doesn't mean I won't be able to boot in x64 right?

I used "-v arch=i386 EHCIacquire=yes cpus=1 maxmem=2048"

I partitioned and now I'm installing after your guide. since i used arch=i386 that doesn't mean I won't be able to boot in x64 right?

To set 64bit booting with iATKOS S3 v2:

1. Download TinkerTool, then install it and select Show hidden and system files

2. Delete AppleNForceATA.kext and RTC(32bit) kext from the temporarily unhidden /Extra/Extensions/ directory

3. Copy imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext into /Extra/Extensions/ directory

4. Open Terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/
exit

5. In com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ put -v arch=x86_64 under Kernel Flags

6. Put your RTC patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra directory

7. Re-hide the hidden files using TinkerTool

8. Reboot your PC with arch=x86_64 and and look for "Kernel is LP64" on bootscreen......

But note this quote from the Tuxera for Mac developers:

The 64-bit kernel is only used by default in the latest Xserve rack mounted servers, capable of using up to 48 GiB of memory. All other Macs use the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by default because their hardware doesn’t support more than 32 GiB of memory, and as such running the purely 64-bit kernel would be pointless.

To set 64bit booting with iATKOS S3 v2:

1. Download TinkerTool, then install it and select Show hidden and system files

2. Delete AppleNForceATA.kext and RTC(32bit) kext from the temporarily unhidden /Extra/Extensions/ directory

3. Copy imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext into /Extra/Extensions/ directory

4. Open Terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/
exit

5. In com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ put -v arch=x86_64 under Kernel Flags

6. Put your RTC patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra directory

7. Re-hide the hidden files using TinkerTool

8. Reboot your PC with arch=x86_64 and and look for "Kernel is LP64" on bootscreen......

But note this quote from the Tuxera for Mac developers:

So can I run the "hybrid" kernel somehow and not just x64 if it's pointless, or is that what it is right now?

EDIT: INSTALL WAS A SUCCESS!! VERDANT IS THE MAN!

So what do you think I should do now? Patch DSDT and install the retail Snow Leopard now?

So can I run the "hybrid" kernel somehow and not just x64 if it's pointless, or is that what it is right now?

From post #1 Part A.:

Snow Leopard runs 64-bit applications regardless of whether it boots into a 64-bit or a 32-bit kernel

when you boot with arch=i386, your are booting into the 32bit kernel that can run 64bit applications.........read Apple's own blurb on 64bit here..........and Adobe's here.......... :P

Do you know what to do to get the right resolution? It only shows one "1024 x 768"

I'm using xfx 9600 gt

See post #1 part A............but first try swapping your display connector to the other port on your graphics card.........

I would recommend patching your DSDT.aml and installing the Retail Snow Leopard because it will be a full near-vanilla installation, including Printer Drivers, XCode etc.; things that cannot fit on a single-layer DVD distro..........

And more importantly, if the Snow Leopard OS X Retail Install DVD is purchased and used, then Apple's R&D on OS X can continue without them needing to 'shut out' the OSx86 scene from future versions for commercial reasons.........

Off to sleep now..........:P

If it is not the disc you burned, then it could be that your DVDRW in the Desktop is not reading from the DVD without errors.......

I thought it might have been another sata port issue so I tried a USB DVD drive and I still had the same problem.

If it is not the disc you burned, then it could be that your DVDRW in the Desktop is not reading from the DVD without errors.......

I thought it might have been another sata port issue so I tried a USB DVD drive and I still had the same problem.

This result implies that the DVD disc is at fault.........

Did you burn the DVD on the laptop?

Some DVDRW/CDRW drives often burn discs that can only be read by the same drive that burned them.........while some DVDRW/CDRW drives are quite media-sensitive in terms of the organic dyes used/disc reflectivity etc........always burn at the slowest speed possible, even below the recommended speed if you are able to............

See post #1 part A............but first try swapping your display connector to the other port on your graphics card.........

I would recommend patching your DSDT.aml and installing the Retail Snow Leopard because it will be a full near-vanilla installation, including Printer Drivers, XCode etc.; things that cannot fit on a single-layer DVD distro..........

And more importantly, if the Snow Leopard OS X Retail Install DVD is purchased and used, then Apple's R&D on OS X can continue without them needing to 'shut out' the OSx86 scene from future versions for commercial reasons.........

Off to sleep now.......... :)

Good Night! Thanks for all the help!

No, I burned the disc in the blu-ray drive that I have in my tower which I tried initially. So in other words I tried reading it in the same drive I burned it in.

This result implies that the DVD disc is at fault.........

Did you burn the DVD on the laptop?

Some DVDRW/CDRW drives often burn discs that can only be read by the same drive that burned them.........while some DVDRW/CDRW drives are quite media-sensitive in terms of the organic dyes used/disc reflectivity etc........always burn at the slowest speed possible, even below the recommended speed if you are able to............

Hey, so here is what came up so far.

I still couldn't change my resolution. I tried "Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:" but I already had that enabled. I don't get how to use 2 and 3... Also, didn't you say that I wouldn't be able to get the EFI string for my video card in snow leopard, I would need that wouldn't I? I also don't think CI/QE is enabled, how do I fix that? My video card has a fan that runs on max until the driver takes over it, in Mac the fan runs the whole time on max and is LOUD. Is there away to get around this?

Next, my sata dvdrw doesn't read anything in Mac, but my ide drive does. Also, if I try using a flash drive it won't show up.

I'm guessing that I patched my dsdt.aml correctly since I followed the guide, now I have the file...what do I do with it? (as of now I also have it in the extras folder on my flash drive with Chameleon and my retail dvd)

So what you wanted me to do next is to install Snow Leopard Retail, should I run it from inside OS X or boot it off a flash drive ( I tried the flash drive, but I get those phy errors and and still waiting for root device.) I don't understand what was the point of installing iATKOS if I am going to install something else over it, didn't I need Leopard to do the perquisites before installing Snow Leopard?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm kinda lost...At least something is running now lol

One more thing...Every time I try to update to 10.6.4, I press restart, it starts loading update then it freezes and says to hold the power button...It never works.

Hey, so here is what came up so far.

I still couldn't change my resolution. I tried "Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:" but I already had that enabled.

Did you try swapping your display connector to the otherDVI port on your graphics card?

I don't get how to use 2 and 3... Also, didn't you say that I wouldn't be able to get the EFI string for my video card in snow leopard, I would need that wouldn't I?

To generate a EFI graphics string enabling full CI/QE, you would need Leopard installed..........unless you find a graphics string for your 9600GT graphics card already posted on the web.......

If you install OS XTools, and run LSPCI, you can get your graphics card device ID, or you can assume the one given in post #1 is correct: 0x062210de

Your graphics card Device ID mask is given in post #1 in long list of Snow Leopard supported graphics cards...........0x062010de&0xffe0ffff........which includes the 0622 G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] graphics card

You need to put your graphics card Device ID mask in the Info.plist file of each of these kexts:

GeForce.kext

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x062010de&0xffe0ffff 0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

NVDAResman.kext

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x062010de&0xffe0ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

Do likewise, for the NVDANV50Hal.kext..........

NVEnabler.kext

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x062010de&0xffe0ffff</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>0</string>

To get to Info.plist file in each kext:

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Find each kext one at a time, then right-click on kext icon, choosing "Show Package Contents", then open Contents folder to find Info.plist.

3. Open Info.plist file via Terminal using sudo nano etc., or right-click, choosing "Open With", and selecting your preferred Text Editor app; e.g.Text Edit, TextMate, TextWrangler, Property List Editor, or PlistEdit Pro etc.

4. Once open navigate to root IOKitPersonalities next arrow then click value next to IOPCIMatch or IOPCIPrimaryMatch and enter 0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

5. Also in NVEnabler Info.plist, change IOProbe score to 0

Remember to set Graphics Enabler = No and remove graphics string...........add kexts to /S/L/E/ using Kext Helper b7..........let me know if it works for you

I also don't think CI/QE is enabled, how do I fix that?

See above

My video card has a fan that runs on max until the driver takes over it, in Mac the fan runs the whole time on max and is LOUD. Is there away to get around this?

See here............suggest you see if EFI graphics string or NVEnabler sorts it for you.........

Next, my sata dvdrw doesn't read anything in Mac, but my ide drive does.

See Introduction in post #1 and recent posts above this one.........!

Also, if I try using a flash drive it won't show up.

Post what you see under USB in System Profiler.........

I'm guessing that I patched my dsdt.aml correctly since I followed the guide, now I have the file...what do I do with it? (as of now I also have it in the extras folder on my flash drive with Chameleon and my retail dvd)

It should be put in / or in /Extra on your iATKOS S3 v2 volume and your target Retail OS X SL volume.......see below.....

So what you wanted me to do next is to install Snow Leopard Retail, should I run it from inside OS X or boot it off a flash drive ( I tried the flash drive, but I get those phy errors and and still waiting for root device.) I don't understand what was the point of installing iATKOS if I am going to install something else over it, didn't I need Leopard to do the perquisites before installing Snow Leopard?

If you are happy with iATKOS SL then keep it.........otherwise set up a target Retail OS X volume.......and run the Retail SL OS X Install DVD installer from its .dmg image file as follows:

1. Use Disk Utility to restore a Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD .dmg/.iso image file to a temporary OS X SL Retail DVD Installer folder (use OSX_SL) from which to run the SL Installer............

2. Mount the Snow Leopard .dmg/.iso file......an installer pop-up window will appear......now click on any free-space region within the window/Desktop and then go to top menu bar and click on Go > Go to Folder......a pop-up window will appear….

3. In the window entry box, type

Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

And click on Go......

4. In the next window that appears, find the OSInstall.mpkg file/icon and double-click this package file to start your Snow leopard Installation......

Note that the above procedure for installing to a GPT/HFS+ volume.......the procedure for installing to a MBR/HFS+ volume requires a modified procedure, using a modified OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall Unix executable file.......see post #1 Part E.......

Sorry for the many questions, I'm kinda lost...At least something is running now lol

The answers took me some time to type.........!

One more thing...Every time I try to update to 10.6.4, I press restart, it starts loading update then it freezes and says to hold the power button...It never works.

Run the 10.6.4 Combo Update installer package..........you have not by any chance, installed the SleepEnabler.kext? If so, remove it........

I've been trying Imk's version of AnV's version of ... the AppleNForceATA, but NO LUCK yet to boot into 64 bits kernel ... also I've been experiencing issues with my Hard Drive since . Is it possible to try the same FIX that Imk did on AnV's, onto the SLASH's AppleNForceATA.kext version ?? Thank you very much all you nice people.

I've been trying Imk's version of AnV's version of ... the AppleNForceATA, but NO LUCK yet to boot into 64 bits kernel ... also I've been experiencing issues with my Hard Drive since . Is it possible to try the same FIX that Imk did on AnV's, onto the SLASH's AppleNForceATA.kext version ?? Thank you very much all you nice people.

All AppleNForceATA.kexts are derivatives of MeDevil's original AppleNForceATA.kext and AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext..........slashack, then AnV, Arya and others...........now imk..........

1. Are you sure that ALL your kexts are 64bit functional kexts?

2. Did you boot the PC by typing arch=x86_64 at the Chameleon (or Chameleon derivative) boot prompt..........just putting arch=x86_64 in place of arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist and then rebooting may not actually boot you into the 64bit kernel..........

To immediately confirm that you have booted the 64bit kernel, boot in verbose mode using -v arch=x86_64 and look for the boot screen message: "Kernel is LP64"..............

You can also check via the Desktop by using System Profiler >>> Software; you should see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"............you can also check via the Terminal command

uname -a

and if you have booted the 64bit kernel, you should see "RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64" rather than "RELEASE_I386 i386".........

Anyhow, I will still download slashack's source file and check.........no, it does not contain the activateDMAEngine(void) section in AppleNForceATA.cpp.......I have PM'd imk the slashack AppleNforceATA source files and asked him if he would be willing to produce a 64bit version with his fix included.........awaiting a reply to my PM........ :)

EDIT: imk's reply

Sure. I'll give it a shot.
.......... :thumbsup_anim:

UPDATE from imk:

I took a look at slashack's source and I'm not sure it's a good idea to make it 64-bit.

slashack's version is quite old and uses some deprecated calls. It also generates some errors. The differences between slashack's and AnV's version are minimal in that AnV's is newer and uses a more up-to-date API.

I can't really recommend using slashack's because of all the deprecated code and warnings. AnV did a great job at updating all the older sources, getting rid of the warnings, etc.

All AppleNForceATA.kexts are derivatives of MeDevil's original AppleNForceATA.kext and AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext..........slashack, then AnV, Arya and others...........now imk..........

1. Are you sure that ALL your kexts are 64bit functional kexts?

2. Did you boot the PC by typing arch=x86_64 at the Chameleon (or Chameleon derivative) boot prompt..........just putting arch=x86_64 in place of arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist and then rebooting may not actually boot you into the 64bit kernel..........

To immediately confirm that you have booted the 64bit kernel, boot in verbose mode using -v arch=x86_64 and look for the boot screen message: "Kernel is LP64"..............

You can also check via the Desktop by using System Profiler >>> Software; you should see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"............you can also check via the Terminal command

uname -a

and if you have booted the 64bit kernel, you should see "RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64" rather than "RELEASE_I386 i386".........

Anyhow, I will still download slashack's source file and check.........no, it does not contain the activateDMAEngine(void) section in AppleNForceATA.cpp.......I have PM'd imk the slashack AppleNforceATA source files and asked him if he would be willing to produce a 64bit version with his fix included.........awaiting a reply to my PM........ :)

EDIT: imk's reply .......... :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you mighty Verdant

These are the kexts inside my /Extra/Extensions/

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.V2.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

nForceLAN.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

I guess all of them should be 64bit capable, but I'm not 100% sure

This is what I did (and no luck) in pursuing the 64bit effort:

- Copy the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext into /E/E

- change the com.apple.Boot.plist to be arch=x86_64

-run Kext Utility v.2.4.2

- REBOOT

- use the -v arch=x86_64 flags at Chameleon's boot prompt

THEN I get the infamous "Still waiting for root device"

right before that, there are some errors like

Kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA failed to load (0dc008015)

not loading Kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA not found and not available in early boot (It repeats three times)

So, in order to boot in 32bit I just use the arch=i386 or modify the com.apple.Boot.plist to be arch=i386 ... every time I modify the /E/E I use the Kext utility right away.

Verdant, thanks for all that information, it makes so much more sense to me now. I am trying to install Leopard first so I can get the correct EFI string for my GFX card. I don't have Leopard DVD so I used iATKOS v7, but after the install I start up the computer, Chameleon loads, I press enter, and then a few seconds later my computer restarts...Do you know what's up with that?

Thank you mighty Verdant

These are the kexts inside my /Extra/Extensions/

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.V2.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

nForceLAN.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

I guess all of them should be 64bit capable, but I'm not 100% sure

This is what I did (and no luck) in pursuing the 64bit effort:

- Copy the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext into /E/E

- change the com.apple.Boot.plist to be arch=x86_64

-run Kext Utility v.2.4.2

- REBOOT

- use the -v arch=x86_64 flags at Chameleon's boot prompt

THEN I get the infamous "Still waiting for root device"

right before that, there are some errors like

Kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA failed to load (0dc008015)

not loading Kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA not found and not available in early boot (It repeats three times)

So, in order to boot in 32bit I just use the arch=i386 or modify the com.apple.Boot.plist to be arch=i386 ... every time I modify the /E/E I use the Kext utility right away.

PLEASE READ post #1 Part C. or D. or F. again...........you have too many kexts in /E/E/, i.e. unnecessary kexts, non-working kexts on nForce chipset MOBOs and function-duplicating kexts........! Also, you do not really need to have an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra/ as explained in post #1.........

Verdant:

I think i have some weird install problems, i can't figure out why my hackintosh won't start sometime. Can i post the startup log ? And how to get the source?

Go to Applications >>> Utilities >>> Console >>> system.log or kernel.log etc........

When you post it, put it in a Code Box...........

Verdant, thanks for all that information, it makes so much more sense to me now. I am trying to install Leopard first so I can get the correct EFI string for my GFX card. I don't have Leopard DVD so I used iATKOS v7, but after the install I start up the computer, Chameleon loads, I press enter, and then a few seconds later my computer restarts...Do you know what's up with that?

Try booting with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and post a screenshot if it does not work........

Hi,

First, I have to tell that I am a complete noob, but I try to read as much as possible and after spending several days in reading and trying, I failed. :censored2:

So, I wish to make an install directly from the SL retail DVD (which is in 10.6.0). I am using the nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso

bootloader. So far, this is the only one CD that was able to boot without the message 'Still waiting for the root device".

So, I can boot on the SL DVD, with the -v flag, I can see all the stuff loading. And then, at the point where the OSX install screen should load, I have a grey screen with the unix mouse pointer. Nothing happens. If I hit the Enter key, then iI have the coloured wheel spining... and again nothing happens.... end of the story.

If I boot with the -x flag, then, no problem, I have the OSX installer and I can complete the installation.

Once the system installed, I can re-boot it as much as I want with bootlaoder on the DVD, but only with the -x flag.

Any idea of how I can fix this -x requirement? Since I run the system in safe mode, my wifi connection is dropping after a few minutes.... and I can't customize my com.apple.boot.plist

I tried to install a bootlaoder from the OSX86Tools, but I still have the Still waiting for root device issue, or kernel panic, even with the -x flag.

My system definitely needs the MeDevil's kext present in the Boot123 for SATA DVD to boot (I think :wacko: ).

My system: I have a SATA HDD on SATA-0, a pioneer S18L DVD drive on SATA-1

I thank you in advance for you help.

Valyno