nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Try repairing ownership and permissions on the kernel......

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel
chmod 644 /mach_kernel

Also, PM me a download link for your DSDT.aml file..........I will take a look at it for you.......

PM with link sent.

The commands to repairing ownership and permissions on the kernel, I copy and paste those into terminal correct?

PM with link sent.

The commands to repairing ownership and permissions on the kernel, I copy and paste those into terminal correct?

Yes

Successful running 10.6.1 on a EVGA 680i! Still not sure if everything is working 100% but its running for 2 days now!

My Method:

I already had 10.5.6 installed on one partition of my drive so i booted up into Leopard downloaded a DMG of the retail 10.6 and downloaded the needed kexts from Verdant's Guide here. I then Installed 10.6 directly from the cd by going to OSInstall.mpkg under the System folder. Installed 10.6 directly to the drive all vanilla. Then i dropped my kexts into the System/Library/Extensions/ Folder and then ran pfix to fix the permissions. I then open the DSDT patcher GUI and let it do its thing on the drive, then i ran chameleon RC3, then EFI installer app. I patched my boot.plist with my graphics card on the list, then installed EFI to the drive. pfix'd again just to be safe booted up Mac with "-v arch=i386" and bam it worked. Backed up my drive with timemachine and now im running Snow Leopard! Thank you verdant! You are my lover! And mysticus for his help in the past!

Specs:

EVGA 680i

OCZ nVidia Ram - 6gigs 800mhz

2 x 500g 1 x 250g Hard drives

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640meg

Apple USB Ethernet for ease

VoodooHDA Optical Out 5.1

Tomorrow im gonna try and upgrade from 10.6 to 10.6.3 i think. Just need to do some more research to be positive that it is going to work.

So I just did an install of Snow Leopard onto my internal HDD and strange things.

When I had installed it onto my external I got the LAN to work and the kexts to load. On the internal, I'm not sure if the kexts are loading but the LAN does not work. I can however reboot and it still does not wipe my CMOS.

If I use dsmos.kext, it will not boot. So I run without it.

I still haven't gotten the Graphics Card String in my bootlist because when I try through OSX86 tools it says plist doesn't have section kernel or something. So I need to download a plist editor and manually do it. I'll do that last once I get other stuff working.

Going to keep trying to get the extensions to load. Not sure if they all are or not.

So I just did an install of Snow Leopard onto my internal HDD and strange things.

When I had installed it onto my external I got the LAN to work and the kexts to load. On the internal, I'm not sure if the kexts are loading but the LAN does not work. I can however reboot and it still does not wipe my CMOS.

If I use dsmos.kext, it will not boot. So I run without it.

I still haven't gotten the Graphics Card String in my bootlist because when I try through OSX86 tools it says plist doesn't have section kernel or something. So I need to download a plist editor and manually do it. I'll do that last once I get other stuff working.

Going to keep trying to get the extensions to load. Not sure if they all are or not.

1. Use fakesmc v2.5 instead of dsmos.kext anyhow.....so, in /Extra/Extensions/ you should have:

AppleNForceATA kext (slash or AnV variant)

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (apparently not required if using Chameleon 2.0 RC4)

and if appropriate/desired

nForceIOATAFamily.kext (for faster booting; see post #1, Part K)

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext (for onboard LAN)

IONetworkingFamily.kext (for onboard LAN)

as well as whatever kext is needed for your audio to work.

2. Repair /Extra/Extensions/ ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

An Extensions.mkext file is IMHO not really necessary for such a small number of kexts........

3. Type kextstat in Terminal.......this will list the kexts loaded into the kernel........

Strangely enough, all but nForceLAN were loaded always. I used the latest snow_support_v2.3 with the nForceLAN installer.pkg that did the trick. However, I tried to add a graphics string and now it won't boot? It's getting stuck at:

AppleNForceATA::free( 0x9b7fa00 )

o.o?

Edit:: Restored the original plist and now it boots..

Strangely enough, all but nForceLAN were loaded always. I used the latest snow_support_v2.3 with the nForceLAN installer.pkg that did the trick. However, I tried to add a graphics string and now it won't boot? It's getting stuck at:

AppleNForceATA::free( 0x9b7fa00 )

o.o?

Edit:: Restored the original plist and now it boots..

Remind me of your system details as you have not put them in a signature..........

Gah haha, sorry about that XD.

EVGA nForce 680i

Intel Q6600

6GB DDR 800 RAM

4x HDDs: two in BIOS RAID (of course will not show up on MAC, fine with me.), one 1TB with two partitions, one for storage and one for the mac os x install and one 2tb hdd for storage.

XFX 9600GT 512MB

EVGA GT 240 1GB

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Gah haha, sorry about that XD.

EVGA nForce 680i

Intel Q6600

6GB DDR 800 RAM

4x HDDs: two in BIOS RAID (of course will not show up on MAC, fine with me.), one 1TB with two partitions, one for storage and one for the mac os x install and one 2tb hdd for storage.

XFX 9600GT 512MB

EVGA GT 240 1GB

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Since you are using two graphics cards, have you made sure that you have the correct PciRoot ID for each graphics card in the graphics string?

To do so, remove your 2nd graphics card, then boot and run gfxutil -f display and write down the PciRoot ID for the 1st graphics card. Then shutdown and remove your 1st graphics card and re-insert your 2nd graphics card back in its original slot and then once again run gfxutil -f display and write down the PciRoot ID for the 2nd graphics card.

PM me a download link to your graphics string...........

I'm running P5N-E SLI, 8800 GT with E6600 and 4gb RAM.

I have performed all steps in part D, but still cannot get to the installer using a USB stick and Snow Leopard Universal 10A432.

I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC4 with PC_EFI v10.3, patched DSDT.aml and the following kexts:

AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V1

IONetworkingFamily

nForceLAN

NULLCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

my boot.plist is

Graphics Mode 1680x1050x32

Kernel mach_kernel

Kernel Flags arch=i386

device-properties (my EFI string)

I am getting a reboot before it starts the installer. The attached screenshot shows the error, "errors encountered while starting up the computer".

Please help!

post-422152-1276452287_thumb.png

post-422152-1276452311_thumb.png

I'm running P5N-E SLI, 8800 GT with E6600 and 4gb RAM.

I have performed all steps in part D, but still cannot get to the installer using a USB stick and Snow Leopard Universal 10A432.

I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC4 with PC_EFI v10.3, patched DSDT.aml and the following kexts:

AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V1

IONetworkingFamily

nForceLAN

NULLCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

my boot.plist is

Graphics Mode 1680x1050x32

Kernel mach_kernel

Kernel Flags arch=i386

device-properties (my EFI string)

I am getting a reboot before it starts the installer. The attached screenshot shows the error, "errors encountered while starting up the computer".

Please help!

Try in order the following:

1. Use Chameleon RC3 alone

2. Use a simple com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"Your hex graphics string"</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

3. Use only the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ with no Extensions.mkext file on the USB flash drive:

AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

4. PM me a download link for your DSDT.aml file

Since you are using two graphics cards, have you made sure that you have the correct PciRoot ID for each graphics card in the graphics string?

To do so, remove your 2nd graphics card, then boot and run gfxutil -f display and write down the PciRoot ID for the 1st graphics card. Then shutdown and remove your 1st graphics card and re-insert your 2nd graphics card back in its original slot and then once again run gfxutil -f display and write down the PciRoot ID for the 2nd graphics card.

PM me a download link to your graphics string...........

Unfortunately I cannot leave the second card in its original slot and boot. The BIOS does not like it. It tells me that a single card has been detected and must be placed in the other slot. So I have the PCIRoot for the main card, the 9600GT but not the GT 240.

Unfortunately I cannot leave the second card in its original slot and boot. The BIOS does not like it. It tells me that a single card has been detected and must be placed in the other slot. So I have the PCIRoot for the main card, the 9600GT but not the GT 240.

PM me a download link for your zipped DSDT.aml file.......

You can also find your PCIRoot UIDs for your graphics cards if you have either Vista or Windows 7 installed........boot into either and go to Control Panel > Device Manager >Display Adapters...............double-click or right-click into Properties pop-up window, then click on Details tab, go to Property drop-down window and select Location paths...........highlight the entry under Value and right-click to copy it and save as a text file……do the same for the second graphics card.....

For example, for my GeForce 8600GT GFX card, I have

Windows string: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)

OS X string: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

You may end up with something like

Windows strings:

PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0200)#PCI(0000)

OS X strings:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

As an example, here is the .plist file for dual GeForce GTX 280 1024 MB GFX cards:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>

<string>0x01000000</string>

<key>@2,#size-cells</key>

<string>0x00000000</string>

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>

<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>

<string>0x02000000</string>

<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,reg</key>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>AAAAQA==</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 DDL</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>3172a</string>

</dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>

<string>0x01000000</string>

<key>@2,#size-cells</key>

<string>0x00000000</string>

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>

<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>

<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,reg</key>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>AAAAQA==</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 DDL</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>3172a</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Just wondering if there is a way to get the Sub Channel Front and Rear channels working in mac. I have a logitech Z-5500 surround sound system. Its 5.1 and i have optical working but my cord is really short. And just wondering if there is a way to get the 6 channels works for 6-ch direct for my receiver.

Whilst im here i tried to update to 10.6.4 and figured it would KP right off the bat but thats cool. Im working on getting it up and running unless i should just update to 10.6.2 or 10.6.3. Anyone have some recommendations? I tried pfix'ing and moving the kexts back but no go... Anyway heres a picture of the KP.

*EDIT*

So i got it booting up 10.6.4 but im using the 10.6 kernel from the retail cd. I was guessing its just the kernel thats not wanting to work but it does. Everything seems to work tho. Still would like to run a 10.6.4 kernel tho.

post-197664-1276726763_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if there is a way to get the Sub Channel Front and Rear channels working in mac. I have a logitech Z-5500 surround sound system. Its 5.1 and i have optical working but my cord is really short. And just wondering if there is a way to get the 6 channels works for 6-ch direct for my receiver.

Whilst im here i tried to update to 10.6.4 and figured it would KP right off the bat but thats cool. Im working on getting it up and running unless i should just update to 10.6.2 or 10.6.3. Anyone have some recommendations? I tried pfix'ing and moving the kexts back but no go... Anyway heres a picture of the KP:

According to the error message, the mach_kernel cannot be found/loaded.........download and run the OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update .dmg installer (if you have a Leopard system, or a backup Snow Leopard system, installed....) as it has worked without any issues for me (apart from having to revert to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext as expected, in order to restore my audio functions........see post #2)........

As for audio, the AD1988b.FIX.kext (i.e. Legacy or Info.plist-only kext) plus the DSDT audio patching described in post #2, which works for my Asus SupremeFX sound card (which has the AD1988b chipset/codec), gives for Audio (Built In) under System Profiler in 10.6.4 and working audio:

post-200327-1276734566_thumb.png

but I do know if this information is any help to you, or if further mods to your DSDT.aml and Legacy Audio kext in /E/E/ will be required to achieve direct 6-channel audio functionality, as I only require 2 channel audio........

@ SilverSix311

So i got it booting up 10.6.4 but im using the 10.6 kernel from the retail cd. I was guessing its just the kernel thats not wanting to work but it does. Everything seems to work tho. Still would like to run a 10.6.4 kernel tho.

Just re-run the OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update .dmg installer..........hopefully, you will then be running as I am:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with compatibility.

Right now, I know I can run OS X with my GPU and CPU.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT320 1GB VDDR3

CPU: Intel Pentium T4500 (2.3GHz)

Though.. I want to know if an OS X distro will be compatible with my chipset.

Chipset: ID0A86

Southbridge: nForce 730i

A distro suggestion would be nice if I can run it also.

This is the laptop if you have any other questions relating to my post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220735

I get similar results w/ 2 cards installed. Bios complains.

I was unable to get the conventional efi strings, nvinject, nvenabler, or DSDT injection to allow my dual 9800gtx cards to work with 10.6 with my EVGA 680 board; I tried a large number of variations with little or no luck. The later bios's for the boards based on the nvidia reference design lock out using the 2nd or 3rd PCIE slots for primary displays and make it difficult to sluth out the Pci Root addresses with gfxutil

The pciroot notation you are looking for; It can be extrapolated via ioreg output or via your dsdt, the info pages for gfxutil cover how it works. If you have vista or windows 7 you can get them from the device manager.

Mine on my EVGA i680 SLI was along these lines : (which i never was able to get working :/)

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

and

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I have not encountered anyone who is successfully running dual cards on a reference 680 board :/, nor can i confirm from a knowledgeable source that it is in fact impossible. , just a fyi. (but i would be fascinated to hear about it if you get it working :))

I was wondering is there a way to run 10.6 in 64bit? Not just i386?

When and if someone produces a fully functional 64bit AppleNForceATA kext (ideally with SATA DVDRW read/write functionality)..........

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with compatibility.

Right now, I know I can run OS X with my GPU and CPU.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT320 1GB VDDR3

CPU: Intel Pentium T4500 (2.3GHz)

Though.. I want to know if an OS X distro will be compatible with my chipset.

Chipset: ID0A86

Southbridge: nForce 730i

A distro suggestion would be nice if I can run it also.

This is the laptop if you have any other questions relating to my post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220735

Although your MOBO has

Northbridge: NVIDIA ID0A86

Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce 730i

the Southbridge 730i chipset is in the MCP79 family........and so may be fully AHCI-compliant and so will not work with AppleNForceATA.kext.......so, I suggest you try Krishna21's SL install guide..........see post #1 for the link.......... :wacko:

is it safe to update to 10.6.4 ? p5n32 e sli plus

and sleep still not working?

Yes........but I downloaded and ran the 10.6.4 Combo Update as always...........remember to rename 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext to AppleHDA.kext.orig and to put 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/ to restore audio function......

Sleep still not working (at least no reports of it working)........but I found out with Leopard that OC'ing CPU and/or RAM stops sleep working anyhow.......likely to be true of SL..........and I use OC'd CPU and RAM..........

@Verdant - So i got the kernel you sent me but its doing the same thing as the last one. It wont boot from it for whatever reason. Keeps giving me the same errors... And now that i have been running 10.6.4 with the 10.6 kernel ive noticed that my network sharing things have been acting up... My sharescreen doesnt work and half the time my 680i wont show up on the network to be connected to. We have 1 macbook and 2 MBP's and my hackintosh here. Any ideas?

@Verdant - So i got the kernel you sent me but its doing the same thing as the last one. It wont boot from it for whatever reason. Keeps giving me the same errors... And now that i have been running 10.6.4 with the 10.6 kernel ive noticed that my network sharing things have been acting up... My sharescreen doesnt work and half the time my 680i wont show up on the network to be connected to. We have 1 macbook and 2 MBP's and my hackintosh here. Any ideas?

Try repairing the kernel ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel
sudo chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel

and the repair the system using Disk Utility......

Welp I updated to 10.6.4 and it put the final nail in the coffin for onboard ethernet.

I had it working well with the occational hiccup needing me to removed and re-add the device in network preferences. Now nothing.

It sends fine, but I get no incoming packets, icmp times out immediately, dhcp however works fine.

Just as a reminder I'm running an Asus P5N73-AM which as a 610i chipset.

I have a compatible realtek pci ethernet card, but after being in a drawer for so long it now gets errors on half of it's incoming packets making it painfully slow.

I will be doing some more investigating as to what changed that might bring back the onboard.