nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Okay I have:

Intel Q6600 Quadcore (4x2,4)

Asus P5N-E SLI (Nforce 650i)

Nvidia 8800GT

Is the Combo Update the real update, the same I can get via Apple Updater? Why I should use the Combo Update, if the normal update process will work? I can only use a standart resolution for my graphics card, is this because I have to check the EFI String?

Thank you for this HUGE Thread!

Okay I have:

Intel Q6600 Quadcore (4x2,4)

Asus P5N-E SLI (Nforce 650i)

Nvidia 8800GT

Is the Combo Update the real update, the same I can get via Apple Updater? Why I should use the Combo Update, if the normal update process will work? I can only use a standart resolution for my graphics card, is this because I have to check the EFI String?

Thank you for this HUGE Thread!

Glad you like it........ :P

Yes it is.......see here

You can certainly use the auto update process if OS X is set up properly on your PC but many "real" Mac users always use the downloaded Combo Update.......this way if your Software auto-update goes "wrong" for whatever reason, e.g a power cut during updating, you can still run the Combo Update if you can boot into Safe Mode.....however, you may want to see Software update working.....your choice....... :)

Yes, as explained in post #1, you have 3 ways in which you can attempt to set up your graphics card to get switchable resolutions and CI/QE..........

Hiya verdant, I made a small guide on 630i and SL with working SATA..I reuqest you recognize it by adding it to your guide in reference to other 630i users..thanks

I did it yesterday before you posted in my thread.........see post #1........... :P

Okay next problem: I installed SL again with this Modded file from PART E to my second Harddrive Partition with success. The stupid thing is, that I wanted to experience a bit, so I tried to boot with x64 kernel flag and the kext that are for that 64bit system. The installation completed as first time. Than I installed with my Leopard Installation the Chameleon Bootloader to the partition where I installed SL and copyied all files(kext, SMBIOS) like they are on my BOOT USB (Is that right?). The problem now is that I can´t boot to Leopard or SL. I used EasyBCD for DualBoot with Windows and Leopard, but now with the installed chameleon on SL Partition it seems that it is broken :-(

I hope my Problem is clear :(

Thank you for the great support in this threat!

Okay next problem: I installed SL again with this Modded file from PART E to my second Harddrive Partition with success. The stupid thing is, that I wanted to experience a bit, so I tried to boot with x64 kernel flag and the kext that are for that 64bit system. The installation completed as first time. Than I installed with my Leopard Installation the Chameleon Bootloader to the partition where I installed SL and copyied all files(kext, SMBIOS) like they are on my BOOT USB (Is that right?). The problem now is that I can´t boot to Leopard or SL. I used EasyBCD for DualBoot with Windows and Leopard, but now with the installed chameleon on SL Partition it seems that it is broken :-(

I hope my Problem is clear :D

Thank you for the great support in this threat!

With a fully functioning 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext not available at present (even with 64bit versions of the other required kexts in /Extra/Extensions/), it is not possible to boot successfully into a 64bit kernel on non-fully-AHCI compliant nForce MCP chipset MOBOs..........

Use Leopard to delete /Extra/Extensions/ on the Snow Leopard volume.....then re-install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 on the Snow Leopard volume and a new /Extra/ directory should be created when Chameleon is installed.........put the original 32bit kexts back in /Extra/Extensions/, as well as the 32bit com.apple.Boot.plist file and SMBIOS.plist file in /Extra........

Then use EasyBCD to remove the original OS X entry and create a new one in EasyBCD.......

AHHH I destroyed everything :rolleyes: I played around with EasyBCD, now I have a Diskboot error(Please insert System Disk)....

What I am doing wrong? I tried to repair start with windows 7 dvd, but firstly It finds no Windows Installation ;) and the trick with the commandline(bootsect/bootrec) seems to fail.

I can Boot to Windows by Select it manually via BIOS Key(F8). Than only the EasyBCD Dialog appears, booting to windows success, booting to MAc--> Fail (I dont know Leopard or Snow Leopard, both on same drive)

AHHH I destroyed everything :( I played around with EasyBCD, now I have a Diskboot error(Please insert System Disk)....

What I am doing wrong? I tried to repair start with windows 7 dvd, but firstly It finds no Windows Installation :) and the trick with the commandline(bootsect/bootrec) seems to fail.

I can Boot to Windows by Select it manually via BIOS Key(F8). Than only the EasyBCD Dialog appears, booting to windows success, booting to MAc--> Fail (I dont know Leopard or Snow Leopard, both on same drive)

Before you messed your systems up, were you booting into Leopard or Snow Leopard via the Windows Boot Manager?

Have you been able to re-run EasyBCD to fix the Windows Boot manager and use OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard to reinstall Chameleon on your OS X volumes......?

Ok now my new story:

After I "destroyes" everything, I downloaded the Gparted Live CD and tried to play arround with that options, with the result that I wasnt able to boot anything. I was so mad, I decided to Install Leopard to an external USB device, deleting my IDE(SL and Leopard) and SATA(Windows 7) Completly. I tried to start installing windows 7 again, but than shock!: Windows wasnt able to create a systempartition :) --> Nothing I could do(Tried with XP CD also). After hours of internet research there was the idea to remove the IDE, because Windows has sometimes trouble. AND YES Installing Windows 7 was fixed. I than installed SL to my IDE and everthing seems to be fine. I was able to manually select Windows 7 and SL via BIOS Bootselection. I than installed EasyBCD and added an entry for SNOW Leopard. It appears on Boot, but when I choose it, I get an error message->(cant find a file for boot), but Chameleon is sucessfully installed and I can use it via BIOS as I said. What is wrong now? But generally i am a step forward!!

Oh the Graphics Enabler KEY in apple.com.Bootlist seems to fail. I can only use 1280x800 or so(no other options)--> So do I have to try the second Method, or am I to stupid?

Many Thanks for help!!!

Starbuxx

Ok now my new story:

After I "destroyes" everything, I downloaded the Gparted Live CD and tried to play arround with that options, with the result that I wasnt able to boot anything. I was so mad, I decided to Install Leopard to an external USB device, deleting my IDE(SL and Leopard) and SATA(Windows 7) Completly. I tried to start installing windows 7 again, but than shock!: Windows wasnt able to create a systempartition :blink: --> Nothing I could do(Tried with XP CD also). After hours of internet research there was the idea to remove the IDE, because Windows has sometimes trouble. AND YES Installing Windows 7 was fixed. I than installed SL to my IDE and everthing seems to be fine. I was able to manually select Windows 7 and SL via BIOS Bootselection. I than installed EasyBCD and added an entry for SNOW Leopard. It appears on Boot, but when I choose it, I get an error message->(cant find a file for boot), but Chameleon is sucessfully installed and I can use it via BIOS as I said. What is wrong now? But generally i am a step forward!!

Oh the Graphics Enabler KEY in apple.com.Bootlist seems to fail. I can only use 1280x800 or so(no other options)--> So do I have to try the second Method, or am I to stupid?

Many Thanks for help!!!

Starbuxx

Try the procedure I describe in Part I in post #1 to sort out your OS X booting issue.......

Use EFIStudio v1.1, or OSx86Tools, to generate a graphics string for your video card..........again see post #1.........but remember you can only use one of the 3 methods............

Try the procedure I describe in Part I in post #1 to sort out your OS X booting issue.......

Hey, I think this is a missunderstanding. OS X is booting fine by selecting it manually with F8 Button in Bios Bootscreen. It is a problem with EasyBCD. The complete message is: File not found or corrupt:

NST\nst_mac.mbr

Error 0x000000f

(Not exactly the message but nearly accurate).

I googled a bit and someone said is has something to do with windows 7 and the hidden partition, but there is no solution for that.

Thank you

Starbuxx

Edit: Okay another thing is that I patched with combo update to 10.6.3( As I said I am able to boot with F8 in Bios). Now I have the kernel panic that you described in post 1. Its: Kernel Extensions backtrace (with dependencies) com.apple.dsmos . But it didnt help to remove The Extensions.mkxt and copy all things again :rolleyes:

Hey, I think this is a missunderstanding. OS X is booting fine by selecting it manually with F8 Button in Bios Bootscreen. It is a problem with EasyBCD. The complete message is: File not found or corrupt:

NST\nst_mac.mbr

Error 0x000000f

(Not exactly the message but nearly accurate).

I googled a bit and someone said is has something to do with windows 7 and the hidden partition, but there is no solution for that.

Thank you

Starbuxx

Edit: Okay another thing is that I patched with combo update to 10.6.3( As I said I am able to boot with F8 in Bios). Now I have the kernel panic that you described in post 1. Its: Kernel Extensions backtrace (with dependencies) com.apple.dsmos . But it didnt help to remove The Extensions.mkxt and copy all things again :)

What build of EasyBCD 2.0 Beta are you using?

Did you repair permissions on /E/E/ and use Disk Utility to repair permissions for OS X?

What kexts do you have in /E/E/?

What build of EasyBCD 2.0 Beta are you using?

I used 1.7 :) , Switching to 2.0 Beta (99) working good!!! Thank you!

Did you repair permissions on /E/E/ and use Disk Utility to repair permissions for OS X?

I used Disk Utility to repair--> didnt help , how I can directly repair /E/E Permissions?

What kexts do you have in /E/E/?

Nearly all in your support Package(Fakesmc 2.5, AppleNforceATA.SHNS(or so))

But I didnt change the files, they are exactly the same, like on my Bootsick.

--> Is that right?

I used 1.7 :) , Switching to 2.0 Beta (99) working good!!! Thank you!

I used Disk Utility to repair--> didnt help , how I can directly repair /E/E Permissions?

Nearly all in your support Package(Fakesmc 2.5, AppleNforceATA.SHNS(or so))

But I didnt change the files, they are exactly the same, like on my Bootsick.

--> Is that right?

Glad you got Windows booting sorted....... :)

To repair /Extra/Extensions/ ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

In /Extra/Extensions/ you should have:

AppleNForceATA kext (slash or AnV variant)

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (apparently not required if using Chameleon 2.0 RC4)

and if appropriate/desired

nForceIOATAFamily.kext (for faster booting)

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext (for onboard LAN)

IONetworkingFamily.kext (for onboard LAN)

AD1988b.Fix.kext (for Audio)

Type kextstat in Terminal.......this will list the kexts loaded into the kernel........

Yes it worked!

(nForceIOATAFamily.kext (for faster booting)) is not in your support files...

But unfortunately I have again trouble with the EasyBCD Screen. It seemed to work, but when I choose Snow Leopard to boot, the chameleon boot screen appears(YESSS!!!!) but when the silver apple and the loading progress appears, after half a minute it stops and shows a stop signg(crossed circle). Booting via F8 Bios options works correctly :)

Yes it worked!

(nForceIOATAFamily.kext (for faster booting)) is not in your support files...

But unfortunately I have again trouble with the EasyBCD Screen. It seemed to work, but when I choose Snow Leopard to boot, the chameleon boot screen appears(YESSS!!!!) but when the silver apple and the loading progress appears, after half a minute it stops and shows a stop signg(crossed circle). Booting via F8 Bios options works correctly :)

I know........it is only optional not essential for OS X.........see Part K in post #1....... :wacko:

What do you see when you boot with -v.......?

Since you have Snow Leopard and Leopard on the same HDD......when the Chameleon boot screen appears, do you see icons for both your Snow Leopard and Leopard volumes?

As I said read Part I, just in case, when you boot Snow Leopard, it is trying to load /Extra for Leopard and vice versa.......

okay i did this: EasyBCD Add entry--Mac--Option: MBR (Not default)

It worked! :D . It was an waiting for root device error :)

My Snow Leopard is now complete on my IDE, Leopard is now External Device, Windows 7 on SATA.

But my big problem is still existing: GPU is not working. Can I make so much wrong? I tried the first method- no luck, second method - the same, i dont want to try the third :wacko:

Is it right that after key flag, the number from efi studio is with " or is without " right?

I did it with Leopard is that the problem?

okay i did this: EasyBCD Add entry--Mac--Option: MBR (Not default)

It worked! ;) . It was an waiting for root device error :(

My Snow Leopard is now complete on my IDE, Leopard is now External Device, Windows 7 on SATA.

But my big problem is still existing: GPU is not working. Can I make so much wrong? I tried the first method- no luck, second method - the same, i dont want to try the third :(

Is it right that after key flag, the number from efi studio is with " or is without " right?

I did it with Leopard is that the problem?

Yes, you need to generate the graphics string using Leopard.........in com.apple.Boot.plist you should have your string without "" as follows (your hexadecimal string will be much longer than the "part of a string" shown here

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c</string>

i did this, nothing happend :(

i also tried to boot with pc efi 10.6, same thing

what is with the graphics mode setting? I tried to change this to my size, it also starts with 1280x...

I also notice that restarting is broken, it hangs up

i did this, nothing happend :(

i also tried to boot with pc efi 10.6, same thing

what is with the graphics mode setting? I tried to change this to my size, it also starts with 1280x...

I also notice that restarting is broken, it hangs up

Keep your com.apple.Boot.plist simple:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

and boot SL using F8 and report what you see when it boots with -v.......

Also, swap your display connector cable to the other port on your graphics card (BTW I am assuming you have two DVI ports).......

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

The easy version was sucessfull! I think it was problematic to use a resolution in that file, leaving it blank works fine.

I have a question: I replaced the apple.com.. in EXTRA folder on my Harddrive. There is also a file in folder in Library/Preferences/XX. I replaced both- right or wrong?

Also a question: My Restart is broken. There is another kext that should fix it. It would replace haltrestart.kext. Do I have to delete the old file only in Extra Extension, or is it also somewhere else?

Edit: ohhm is there a method to get S_Video output working with my card, so I can use my TV as second monitor?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

The easy version was sucessfull! I think it was problematic to use a resolution in that file, leaving it blank works fine.

I have a question: I replaced the apple.com.. in EXTRA folder on my Harddrive. There is also a file in folder in Library/Preferences/XX. I replaced both- right or wrong?

Also a question: My Restart is broken. There is another kext that should fix it. It would replace haltrestart.kext. Do I have to delete the old file only in Extra Extension, or is it also somewhere else?

Edit: ohhm is there a method to get S_Video output working with my card, so I can use my TV as second monitor?

Glad to help........ ;)

The com.apple.Boot.plist file in /S/L/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ does not need to be changed from the simple OS X generated one:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

Since you have the same chipset as myself (650i), I am surprised that the OHR kext is not working for you.........you can try EvOreboot.kext instead......just delete OHR kext and replace it with EvOreboot.kext and then repair ownership and permissions on /E/E/........also just recheck your BIOS settings against the 650i settings template.........see post #1 for the link..........

If you want to use the TVOut port on your graphics card, then NVEnabler rather than a graphics string is the method to use......but it may not be simple..........when using NVEnabler.kext, for a manual editing guide for the NVResman and NVDANV40Hal kexts' Info.plist files see here......

Quickt DSDT question. If I change my BIOS settings or flash it with a newer version do I need to generate a DSDT file?

I am not an expert on DSDT functionality/modding but would say that since you are loading your DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra over the DSDT.aml file uploaded from BIOS, it should not matter if you change your BIOS settings, unless perhaps something that you have changed/patched in the DSDT.aml file is dependent upon the specific BIOS settings you are now proposing to change.........

For example, I can change my CPU and RAM overclock settings without needing a new DSDT.aml file......

Also, if you go to a new BIOS version, it may have a better, cleaner etc. DSDT that you can extract and then patch to produce a new DSDT.aml file for use / or in /Extra.......

Thanks. I'll leave me DSDT alone for the time being.

I gave the Arya applenforceATA.kext  a try and I've been getting these kernel panics in Final Cut. Any idea what is causing them?

post-72159-1275795112_thumb.jpg

Since you have the same chipset as myself (650i), I am surprised that the OHR kext is not working for you.........you can try EvOreboot.kext instead......just delete OHR kext and replace it with EvOreboot.kext and then repair ownership and permissions on /E/E/........also just recheck your BIOS settings against the 650i settings template.........see post #1 for the link..........

If you want to use the TVOut port on your graphics card, then NVEnabler rather than a graphics string is the method to use......but it may not be simple..........when using NVEnabler.kext, for a manual editing guide for the NVResman and NVDANV40Hal kexts' Info.plist files see here......

Hm I was only able to change some settings, not every setting is available in my BIOS. I tried to use EvOreboot.kext, changed from Chameleon Boot to PC Efi, but nothing seems to work. Now i am back on settings, you prefere in this guide(Chameleon, OHR kext). The funny thing is now sometimes shutdown works, restart never. Now when I press restart, the screen goes black, but my machine is still running (LED´s on my Computercase blinking). Before it hung up when showing a blue screen with a loading bar....strange :(