nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Welp I updated to 10.6.4 and it put the final nail in the coffin for onboard ethernet.

I had it working well with the occational hiccup needing me to removed and re-add the device in network preferences. Now nothing.

It sends fine, but I get no incoming packets, icmp times out immediately, dhcp however works fine.

Just as a reminder I'm running an Asus P5N73-AM which as a 610i chipset.

I have a compatible realtek pci ethernet card, but after being in a drawer for so long it now gets errors on half of it's incoming packets making it painfully slow.

I will be doing some more investigating as to what changed that might bring back the onboard.

What kext were you using for the Realtek RTL8201CP onboard Ethernet chipset?

Hey Verdant, I'm back with a question. I was frustrated with osx kept freezing on me so I went back to Windows for awhile, and I discovered that your snow support files is on v2.3(I have the v2.2). In there, I saw AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext and so glad to try that. To my surprise, it was pretty stable. But the bad thing about it is I can't seem to restart or shutdown. I would need to manually press the reset button. Also, start up takes twice as long, from power-up to usable. Do you know what's going on?

Hey Verdant,

Sry for no respont for 2 weeks or so, I went on vacation :P . I did this:

I reinstalled SNow Leopard, with the kext´s that worked before, inclusive the OHR. Surprise, Surprise Shutdown and Restart works!!!!! Than I installed nforceLAN, and after the restart it hung up on boot. I just restarted again and booting succeed. I than installed the new combo update. AND THEN: RESTART IS BROKEN AHHHHH ;) . Is it nforce LAN or the update? I think its nforce LAN, because on my old installation I had no update, but nforceLAN and restart was also broken. So what can I do?

A little problem also: after updating to 10.6.4 I have the kernel panic--> I repaired permissions, with tools and without, and did the thing with AppleHDA you mentioned, but it is still there :P Im doing something wrong again?

Thank you Verdant!

@Verdant

So i tried doin the terminal commands and it didnt work. Still getting the panic, am i supposed to rename any kexts or move them after i install the update?

What kexts have you moved/renamed from/where?

The Combo Update should only replace earlier version kernel and vanilla kexts......you could try booting in Safe Mode and then re-running the Combo Update, followed by Disk Utility Repair Permissions (ideally by booting up from the Retail Mac OS X Install DVD if you are set up to do that)........if still no joy, then you may well end up needing to reinstall as a clean system.......

@Verdant Well basically all i did was install the combo update straight from the software update built in mac, then before it restarted i reinstalled the kexts from your snowleopard 2.3 zip, then i booted up with "arch=i386 -v" and i got a kernel panic before it tried to do anything. The one i have a picture for in an earlier post. Then i reinstalled the kernel from 10.6 and it works fine. I then tried putting your 10.6.4 kernel and i tried your chmod junk to fix permissions, and then i tried fixing permissions and nothin worked. No matter what i get a KP right when i try to boot. Starbuxx seems to be in the same boat so i might try it without nForceLan.kext. If you have google-talk hit me up SilverSix311.

@Verdant Well basically all i did was install the combo update straight from the software update built in mac, then before it restarted i reinstalled the kexts from your snowleopard 2.3 zip, then i booted up with "arch=i386 -v" and i got a kernel panic before it tried to do anything. The one i have a picture for in an earlier post. Then i reinstalled the kernel from 10.6 and it works fine. I then tried putting your 10.6.4 kernel and i tried your chmod junk to fix permissions, and then i tried fixing permissions and nothin worked. No matter what i get a KP right when i try to boot. Starbuxx seems to be in the same boat so i might try it without nForceLan.kext. If you have google-talk hit me up SilverSix311.

@ SilverSix311 and Starbuxx

When I refer to the Combo Update, I am, as always, referring to the downloadable standalone Combo Update .dmg installer........e.g. 10.6.4 Combo Update.........

The kext I was using was nvenet.kext inside IONetworkingfamily.kext

Vanilla not in Extra. Worked fine (except for the occational need to removed and re-add) before 10.6.4.

very frustrating, wouldn't mind rolling back to 10.6.3. Don't know how to do that, yet looking it up.

[Edit]

Ok I just tried installing nForceLAN.kext (As it says that it should work with the device ID of my ethernet) and I got a kernel panic

hrm

Hey Verdant, I'm back with a question. I was frustrated with osx kept freezing on me so I went back to Windows for awhile, and I discovered that your snow support files is on v2.3(I have the v2.2). In there, I saw AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext and so glad to try that. To my surprise, it was pretty stable. But the bad thing about it is I can't seem to restart or shutdown. I would need to manually press the reset button. Also, start up takes twice as long, from power-up to usable. Do you know what's going on?

Try repairing /E/E/ ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

and use Disk Utility to repair system permissions....

The kext I was using was nvenet.kext inside IONetworkingfamily.kext

Vanilla not in Extra. Worked fine (except for the occational need to removed and re-add) before 10.6.4.

very frustrating, wouldn't mind rolling back to 10.6.3. Don't know how to do that, yet looking it up.

Use Pacifist to extract nvenet.kext or IONetwokingFamily.kext from 10.6.3 Combo Update, or just try running 10.6.3 Combo Update from your backup Leopard system onto your non-booted SL system over the 10.6.4 update.........assuming you have a backup Leopard system.........

I always keep a backup SL system one version behind the latest..........it avoids such issues......... :)

Yes Sir, I used the Combo Update, whats wrong now? :(

Post a screen shot of the KP you now see.........I assume you cannot boot SL 10.6.4 even with -v -f or -v -x or -v -x -f ?

Try repairing /E/E/ ownership and permissions:

and use Disk Utility to repair system permissions....

I've tried those, didn't work. Nevermind. I'm upgrading my hardware soon, and probably won't be using this system anymore. I'm thinking of Gigabyte MB because I've heard they are really stable. So for now, I'll just be using Windows. Thanks for your help up to now. I've learned a lot about osx86 and OSX itself!

I've tried those, didn't work. Nevermind. I'm upgrading my hardware soon, and probably won't be using this system anymore. I'm thinking of Gigabyte MB because I've heard they are really stable. So for now, I'll just be using Windows. Thanks for your help up to now. I've learned a lot about osx86 and OSX itself!

A pity given the time you spent to get it working.........if you had a backup SL system at least one version behind the latest, you could simply use CCC or Disk utility to clone the 10.6.4 volume back to 10.6.3 or 10.6.2 etc.......

Checklist for successful system updating:

A. Keep /S/L/E/ as vanilla as possible..........put all non-Apple kexts in in/E/E/, along with any modified Apple kexts, with a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ to some or all kexts in /E/E/ if required.......unless a non-Apple kext only loads when in /S/L/E/ but not from /E/E/, even with a symbolic link in /S/L/L/E/ ........

B. Before updating, make a safe copy of any key kexts in /S/L/E/ that you may need to roll back to after updating.........a good example is AppleHDA.kext from system version 10.6.2, which is needed to restore audio function after updating to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4......

C. Boot into normal mode (or in Safe Mode if you have problems installing the Combo Update when booted in normal mode) and repair permissions using Disk utility.........then download and run the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer..........boot with -v -f and repair system permissions using Disk Utility..........

Should you still have kernel panic issues after updating in the way described above.......then try in sequence:

1. Try running the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer again on your booted OS X system.........

2. Assuming you have a backup SL system at least one version behind the latest, boot into the backup OS X system and run the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer and select to install to your main OS X system volume.........

3. Touch /S/L/E/ of updated system

sudo toucn /System/Library/Extensions/

BUT if you do have any non-vanilla kext(s) in /S/L/E/, THEN repair /S/L/E/ ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4. Repair /E/E/ ownership and permissions of updated system:

5. Repair kernel ownership and permissions of updated mach_kernel

sudo chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel
  sudo chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel

6. Replace 10.6.4 mach_kernel with an earlier version mach_kernel that worked with your MOBO/system and repair its ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel
  sudo chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel

7. Assuming you have a backup SL system at least one version behind the latest, use CCC or Disk utility to clone the 10.6.4 volume back to 10.6.3 or 10.6.2 etc.......and run the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer again......

8. Do a clean SL re-install and again try a manual update to the latest system version using standalone Combo Update.......

Thank you for the steps, I will try it out. The Panic Screen, is the same as if permissions are not repaired (I did this, I also tried some tools). One thing i didnt tried for example is to repair permissions for mach_kernel.(So I will try :D ).

So What is with that nforceLAN thing, where I cant reboot, is that a known issue? Do I have an alternative?

Thank you Verdant, for this powerfull support!

Thank you for the steps, I will try it out. The Panic Screen, is the same as if permissions are not repaired (I did this, I also tried some tools). One thing i didnt tried for example is to repair permissions for mach_kernel.(So I will try ;) ).

So What is with that nforceLAN thing, where I cant reboot, is that a known issue? Do I have an alternative?

Thank you for the steps, I will try it out. The Panic Screen, is the same as if permissions are not repaired (I did this, I also tried some tools). One thing i didnt tried for example is to repair permissions for mach_kernel.(So I will try ;) ).

Glad to help........ :)

Sorry that some of you are having unexpected problems when updating to 10.6.4......... :D

I am linked to the internet now via the nForceLAN v0.64.5 kext in /E/E/, and have experienced no boot/reboot/shutdown issues after updating to 10.6.4.......... :)

BUT note that prior to updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.1 >> 10.6.2 >> 10.6.3 >> 10.6.4......I had a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ to the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext and nForceLAN v0.64.5 kext (I included them in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3) in /E/E/ and the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext had been renamed to IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig, with no other IONetworkingFamily.kext present in /S/L/E/ after updating to 10.6.4..........

I hope you manage to sort out your updating to 10.6.4 successfully........... I will check when back online later........ :)

Hey, what do you mean with "symbolic link" ? I have a IONetworkingFamily.kext in my S/L/E Folder. Is that right?

Thanx Starbuxx

EDIT: I tried every step, no result :-( . I will try a new installation tomorrow, I have no time now ;-)

Hey, what do you mean with "symbolic link" ? I have a IONetworkingFamily.kext in my S/L/E Folder. Is that right?

Thanx Starbuxx

UPDATE on nForceLAN kext use

I have been doing some nForce onboard LAN testing with different scenarios involving the nForceLAN.kext..........which explains the success of the following for me:

I am linked to the internet now via the nForceLAN v0.64.5 kext in /E/E/, and have experienced no boot/reboot/shutdown issues after updating to 10.6.4.......... :wacko:

BUT note that prior to updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.1 >> 10.6.2 >> 10.6.3 >> 10.6.4......I had a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ to the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext and nForceLAN v0.64.5 kext (I included them in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3) in /E/E/ and the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext had been renamed to IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig, with no other IONetworkingFamily.kext present in /S/L/E/ after updating to 10.6.4.......

BUT the nForceLAN kext was always present in Extensions.mkext, as explained below:

I have found that in order for the nForceLAN kext to function properly and connect you to your network/router/ modem and hence to the internet, the same nForceLAN kext MUST be present

IN /S/L/E/

OR IN Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

OR IN /S/L/E/ AND IN Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

regardless of whether you use either the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3) or the nForceLAN.kext that is installed by eno's nForceLAN_0.64.5.mpkg installer in /S/L/E/ since both kexts are identical.......

To ensure that the nForceLAN kext in /S/L/E/ is also included in the Extensions.mkext file in n /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, go to the Terminal and type:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

If, once you have sorted out the nForceLAN kext location(s), you are still having problems, nvenet.kext may be the problem..........in which case:

1. Put the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext that I included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 in /E/E/

2. Create a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ for it

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s IONetwokingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

3. Rename the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig
ls -l 
exit

Post #1 has been updated as well to reflect the above information......

Edited by verdant

Hey VErdant,

this post above, is only for me? Or a genreal thread?

Nevertheless I tried this:

I reinstalled SL and put the basic kexts to my E/E Folder. Booting suceed. I changed nothing and ran the Combo Update. The Update completes, I repaired permissions with that tool in snow support file.

Same thing happend as before: Extensions in backtrace (Or something loke that)

Is there any thing I can do now (I can do again these steps, I know), for example that thing with AppleHDA, or is it really a permission problem? :(

I hope you can help me, I am near to give up :blink:

Hey VErdant,

this post above, is only for me? Or a genreal thread?

Nevertheless I tried this:

I reinstalled SL and put the basic kexts to my E/E Folder. Booting suceed. I changed nothing and ran the Combo Update. The Update completes, I repaired permissions with that tool in snow support file.

Same thing happend as before: Extensions in backtrace (Or something loke that)

Is there any thing I can do now (I can do again these steps, I know), for example that thing with AppleHDA, or is it really a permission problem? :(

I hope you can help me, I am near to give up :blink:

The information about nForceLAN is for you and also general.

Please post a screenshot of the KP with "Extensions in backtrace".......as I need to see the actual errors you are talking about in order to help you........

Okay this is what I get, booting with -x -v (Camera is old, quality maybe bad):

It appears that you have the dsmos.kext installed somewhere.........

In /Extra/Extensions/, together with:

AppleNForceATA.slash (or the AnV variant or other AppleNForceATA kext; see post #1)

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (not necessary with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 installed)

and optionally:

nForceIOATAFamily.kext (for faster booting; see post #1, Part K)

IONetworkingFamily.kext (for onboard LAN problems with nvenet.kext; see post #1)

as well as whatever kext is needed for your audio to work, you should have:

EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both...........

BTW do you get the same KP when booting normally with just -v, or a different KP......?

I'm having an issue where Snow Leopard will freeze. It seems to happen at times when I'm transferring files from one hard drive to another. Also, when I'm using Logic, as I'm going through patches, it will sometimes freeze. At the same time that that happens, I always hear one of my internal drives start up like it's accessing it. Which is kind of odd because when scrolling through the built in patch files in Logic, it shouldn't be looking in other locations. I think these two problems are somehow related.

I'm having an issue where Snow Leopard will freeze. It seems to happen at times when I'm transferring files from one hard drive to another. Also, when I'm using Logic, as I'm going through patches, it will sometimes freeze. At the same time that that happens, I always hear one of my internal drives start up like it's accessing it. Which is kind of odd because when scrolling through the built in patch files in Logic, it shouldn't be looking in other locations. I think these two problems are somehow related.

Since the Southbridge chipset deals with SATA/PATA I/O, I suggest you try the various AppleNForceATA kexts to see which one is the most stable with your setup and use pattern, and also use the nForceIOATAFamily.kext..........see post #1...................you could also see if unchecking "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver improves matters................

THANK you VErdant,

I am such an idiot, mixing up the dsmos and fakesmc ;) . Sry for wasting your time :P Booting 10.6.4 working perfect

Ok now the nforce problem:

I installed nforce LAN via installer: Reboot/Shutdown problem.

I then tried out the method you postet above(I that right?--> I just copied the code to terminal--> some errors appeared, but it seems that something was done).

I just was happy, when I was able to reboot normally, but then I noticed that Ethernet was dead ;) .

I than just tried to copied the nforcelan kext form S/L/E to E/E. Then Network was working, but again reboot failed(Even when I retried these steps from that point)

Should I delete extensions.mkext?

Hope you can help