nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hm I was only able to change some settings, not every setting is available in my BIOS. I tried to use EvOreboot.kext, changed from Chameleon Boot to PC Efi, but nothing seems to work. Now i am back on settings, you prefere in this guide(Chameleon, OHR kext). The funny thing is now sometimes shutdown works, restart never. Now when I press restart, the screen goes black, but my machine is still running (LED´s on my Computercase blinking). Before it hung up when showing a blue screen with a loading bar....strange :P

The BIOS settings in the template are a composite of settings for different 650i chipset MOBO BIOSs'........

Often a blue screen is indicative of a video driver issue.........did you try swapping your display connector cable from one port to the other port on your graphics card to see if that has an effect on your shutdown/restart behaviour..........?

If you want to, PM a .zip file of all your current BIOS settings, your DSDT.aml file and graphics string .hex and/or .plist files.....I will take a look........

Thanks. I'll leave me DSDT alone for the time being.

I gave the Arya applenforceATA.kext a try and I've been getting these kernel panics in Final Cut. Any idea what is causing them?

The KP is AppleNForceATA.kext related...........I assume you repaired ownership and permissions on /E/E/ after copying the Arya kext into /E/E/..........

I installed it using Kext Utility which is putting it into the System\Library\Extensions folder. Doesn't that repair permissions for you? I tried running repair permissions from disc utility after my first crash and still did not fix the issue.

I installed it using Kext Utility which is putting it into the System\Library\Extensions folder. Doesn't that repair permissions for you? I tried running repair permissions from disc utility after my first crash and still did not fix the issue.

Remove it from /S/L/E/ and manually put in it /E/E/, then go to Terminal and type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

then type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

Thanks for supply, how can I make a dump of my bios settings easily, without typing it up manually :(

Download the manual from Asus website then tell me what you have put for each BIOS setting when you PM me the manual..........

hm i have the newest bios firmware, settings changed, I try to make it as clear as I can.

BTW: Could that be something like a conflict between OHR and the vodoo restart? Because it is not relevant which I choose, the screen goes black, machine still running. With my first attempt (Clean Install with OHR) it goes blue screen(I thinnk as normal) with loading progress bar, which SOMETIMES Failes....hm(Yes switching the DVI port doesnt work)

Thank you

Starbuxx

hm i have the newest bios firmware, settings changed, I try to make it as clear as I can.

BTW: Could that be something like a conflict between OHR and the vodoo restart? Because it is not relevant which I choose, the screen goes black, machine still running. With my first attempt (Clean Install with OHR) it goes blue screen(I thinnk as normal) with loading progress bar, which SOMETIMES Failes....hm(Yes switching the DVI port doesnt work)

Thank you

Starbuxx

Clarify what you mean by

"Could that be something like a conflict between OHR and the vodoo restart?"

Do you have a Voodoo kext in /E/E/?

no, no I, removed one kext, before I tried another. I mean that the shutdown/restart screen is now, no matter which kext I used, the same as the first time I canged from OHR to Voodoo. In other words:

OHR(After clean Install): Blue screen, with progress bar failed to compelte

Vodoo: Black screen(Monitor gets no signal), computer is still running.

So after I wanted to change back to OHR, the screen is as on Vodoo, so I thought it has something to do with that. Does Vodoo change some Snow Leopard parameters or something? (Vodoo kext is away ;-))

no, no I, removed one kext, before I tried another. I mean that the shutdown/restart screen is now, no matter which kext I used, the same as the first time I canged from OHR to Voodoo. In other words:

OHR(After clean Install): Blue screen, with progress bar failed to compelte

Vodoo: Black screen(Monitor gets no signal), computer is still running.

So after I wanted to change back to OHR, the screen is as on Vodoo, so I thought it has something to do with that. Does Vodoo change some Snow Leopard parameters or something? (Vodoo kext is away ;-))

Did you install the Voodoo kext manually or not? If not, check that it is not installed in /System/Library/Extensions/........if it is, then remove it..........

Then I suggest that you do the following via Terminal:

then type

If doing the above (with OpenHaltRestart or EvOReboot kext) does not work, then try fakesmc.V2.kext, or fakesmc.V1.kext, or even try netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext in place of fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2 or v2.5) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.........

If that does still not work, try a CMOS system reset by switching off the PC and then removing the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes..........then put the CMOS battery back and reboot..........

@Verdant

Hey man,

I just got my EVGA 680i running snowleopard finally. I have been trying to get my optical sound working and cant seem to get anywhere. I know its a ALC885 and ive tried using the same ALC codec from leopard but it doesnt like it i guess. Ive also tried using voodooHDA, and with no avail.... fail...

I havent done the DSDT patching thing i guess. Dont really know what im doing when i look at it. Can you give me a push in the right direction?

@Verdant

Hey man,

I just got my EVGA 680i running snowleopard finally. I have been trying to get my optical sound working and cant seem to get anywhere. I know its a ALC885 and ive tried using the same ALC codec from leopard but it doesnt like it i guess. Ive also tried using voodooHDA, and with no avail.... fail...

I havent done the DSDT patching thing i guess. Dont really know what im doing when i look at it. Can you give me a push in the right direction?

Try this legacy kext with the DSDT audio patch from post #2..........but if you want zip up your DSDT.aml file and PM me a download link and I will do the DSDT audio patching as soon as I have a free moment for you to try...........

I Completely gave up=(

Plz, someone, help me!

I'm using the "usb installation" tutorial posted in this tread for installing MAC OS X 10.6.1

Everything went fine, I've successfully booted up an installation process...BUT!

My mouse and keyboard doesn't work! I have a PS/2 devices so I read a lot stuff about how to run it under OS X - special kexts, various settings in BIOS...but all of that doesn't works for me T_T

I also have tried a PS/2-USB combination and (!) USB-USB combination - but they seems dead again!

No matter how hard I tried - as soon as Darwine begins to boot, mouse and keyboard in all combinations turn their lights off and drop dead=(

So, any advice here?

PS

BTW, veeery nice tutor=) Keep on going)

PSS

excuse me for my bad english, lolXD

I Completely gave up=(

Plz, someone, help me!

I'm using the "usb installation" tutorial posted in this tread for installing MAC OS X 10.6.1

Everything went fine, I've successfully booted up an installation process...BUT!

My mouse and keyboard doesn't work! I have a PS/2 devices so I read a lot stuff about how to run it under OS X - special kexts, various settings in BIOS...but all of that doesn't works for me T_T

I also have tried a PS/2-USB combination and (!) USB-USB combination - but they seems dead again!

No matter how hard I tried - as soon as Darwine begins to boot, mouse and keyboard in all combinations turn their lights off and drop dead=(

So, any advice here?

PS

BTW, veeery nice tutor=) Keep on going)

PSS

excuse me for my bad english, lolXD

Do not give up!.......

Glad you were able to follow and use my guide to get this far......

Do not worry about your English not being 100%........ :D

1. What are your system details........it would be good to put them in your IM signature

2. Ensure that all USB options are enabled in BIOS.........see OS X BIOS settings template in post #1

3. USB keyboard and USB mouse is recommended for OS X

4. Report what happens when you boot with -v -x at the boot: prompt......?

5. If you can boot using -v -x, report what System Profiler shows for USB and make sure that the kernel and System.kext are the same version.....

6. Update to 10.6.3 v1.1........use the standalone Combo Update(s).......

verdant, thnx u for fast response=)

Well, with your help I be able to fight with my PC for a little more+_+

1.Here's my config:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4

Motherboard: Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2

Misc:

SATA DVD-RW

USB Wi-Fi modem

SATA HDD 320 GB (Some stuff and Windows 7 Ultimate here) + USB HDD 500GB (I use it to install OSX instead of pendrive - I created two partitions with 9 and 17 GB of space in order to use it for booting the installator and install OS)

Also, now I have: 1) two different USB mouses and two PS/2

2)Two different PS/2 keyboards

I will place it to my signature later:3

2.In my BIOS there's only three options: what interface to use (v1.0 or 2.0 or 1.0+2.0) and keyboard/mouse enablers.

But a will look to the template that you give me, thnx) I didn't notice it earlier.

3.About USB-USB...as I wrote in previous post, I have the same "dead" state as with PS/2=)

About 4-5 - I will able to report you about it tonight (GMT+2) or tomorrow.

6. Don't get it. How I can update the installation DVD?Oo Even if it already deployed on USB.

verdant, thnx u for fast response=)

Well, with your help I be able to fight with my PC for a little more+_+

1.Here's my config:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4

Motherboard: Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2

Misc:

SATA DVD-RW

USB Wi-Fi modem

SATA HDD 320 GB (Some stuff and Windows 7 Ultimate here) + USB HDD 500GB (I use it to install OSX instead of pendrive - I created two partitions with 9 and 17 GB of space in order to use it for booting the installator and install OS)

Also, now I have: 1) two different USB mouses and two PS/2

2)Two different PS/2 keyboards

I will place it to my signature later:3

2.In my BIOS there's only three options: what interface to use (v1.0 or 2.0 or 1.0+2.0) and keyboard/mouse enablers.

But a will look to the template that you give me, thnx) I didn't notice it earlier.

3.About USB-USB...as I wrote in previous post, I have the same "dead" state as with PS/2=)

About 4-5 - I will able to report you about it tonight (GMT+2) or tomorrow.

6. Don't get it. How I can update the installation DVD?Oo Even if it already deployed on USB.

1. OK

2. Remember that the template is for all 680i chipset MOBOs........so look for the BIOS parameters that match those in your BIOS

3. PS/2 keyboard + USB mouse combo (or vice versa) does not always work that well with OS X........and since you have a USB WiFi modem and a USB external HDD........I suggest you try a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse with these kexts added to /Extra/Extensions/ and then repair ownership and permissions (no need to use Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/)

If these two PS/2 kexts do not work, then try these two kexts instead (as well as the preference pane)...........remember after removing the previous PS/2 kexts and adding these two kexts, repair ownership and permissions on /Extra/Extensions/ as before........

N.B. If you have added any PS/2 kexts to /System/Library/Extensions/ that were not installed by the OS X Installer package, remove them and reset kexts date/time:

6. The 10.6.3 v1.1 Combo Update is a .dmg file.........so just double-click it to run the installer package........

Ok, I gonna try out you advices right now=)

Plz, stay here for a while!

I finally get it...I think that a little misunderstanding uccurs:3

I haven't installed MAC OS X yet!

I'm only boot installer from USB-HDD partition and get stuck on language choose screen.

4. Report what happens when you boot with -v -x at the boot: prompt......?

Well, all that I remembered is SMC stuck error and that I was unable to even boot up=)

How I can perform the 5 step? I'm a great n00b in Mac OS X (only used it for month - in our country Macintosh is a sacred, mysteric and almost relic OS XDXDXD)

Now I'm trying to boot with arch=i386.....same here - nothing has changed(

Ok, I gonna try out you advices right now=)

Plz, stay here for a while!

I finally get it...I think that a little misunderstanding uccurs:3

I haven't installed MAC OS X yet!

I'm only boot installer from USB-HDD partition and get stuck on language choose screen.

Well, all that I remembered is SMC stuck error and that I was unable to even boot up=)

How I can perform the 5 step? I'm a great n00b in Mac OS X (only used it for month - in our country Macintosh is a sacred, mysteric and almost relic OS XDXDXD)

Now I'm trying to boot with arch=i386.....

How have you partitioned your OS X target HDD volume.........as GPT or MBR............?

So, unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

8. Read PART C to produce a USB HDD installer employing an image file of your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD......

and then

Read PART D if you want to install from the USB HDD installer to a GPT HDD volume.....

OR

Read PART E if you want to install from a USB HDD installer to a MBR HDD volume.....

After you have a working Snow Leopard system, you can clone it to the Leopard volume as a backup system......or, keep both the Leopard and Snow Leopard systems.......

Are there any of the above steps that you have not already done before following step 8......?

To check the kernel version, open a Terminal window and type

uname -a

To check the System.kext version, go to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext, then right-click to Show Package Contents, then right-click to open version.plist.......then go to Open with.......if no apps show, choose Other and navigate to TextEdit......and use to open the version.plist file......and look for CFBundleVersion........

Gwaaah><

All that night experiments give me a horrible headache :)

I will read you instructions extremely carefully tomorrow, cuz It's look like i do smthng certainly wrong(

Hell big thnx for u advices! I will post here later and tell what happens)

How have you partitioned your OS X target HDD volume.........as GPT or MBR............?

Mac Os Journaled (Extended)

I haven't Leopard on PC, but I have a MacBook with SL on it.

Hello all,

I have been fighting with my machine trying to get SL working properly. I am able to boot and can everything working properly with the exception of what appears to be my sata kext. I am hoping there has been progress on these kext lately.

The problem is that the OS locks up (doesnt KP, just locks up and have to shut off) with heavy I/O usage. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you solved it and how??

Thanks in advance!

setup: CPU Q6600, EVGA 680 sli, nvidia 8600GT, 4 gig ram, seagate 320gig sata hd

Gwaaah><

All that night experiments give me a horrible headache :D

I will read you instructions extremely carefully tomorrow, cuz It's look like i do smthng certainly wrong(

Hell big thnx for u advices! I will post here later and tell what happens)

Mac Os Journaled (Extended)

I haven't Leopard on PC, but I have a MacBook with SL on it.

OK........ just take your time reading and understanding..........and follow the guide as directed..........Part by Part, step by step....... :)

Hello all,

I have been fighting with my machine trying to get SL working properly. I am able to boot and can everything working properly with the exception of what appears to be my sata kext. I am hoping there has been progress on these kext lately.

The problem is that the OS locks up (doesnt KP, just locks up and have to shut off) with heavy I/O usage. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you solved it and how??

Thanks in advance!

setup: CPU Q6600, EVGA 680 sli, nvidia 8600GT, 4 gig ram, seagate 320gig sata hd

1. Ensure that you have installed slashack's AppleNforceATA.kext, or its AnV variant, in /Extra/Extensions/ and then repair ownership and permissions (no need to use Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/)

2. Put debug=0x144 in your com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386 debug=0x144</string>

3. If you have already done 1. and get no improvement and/or 2. shows no debug screen during a heavy data I/O session, then boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 at the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader boot: prompt when you want to do any heavy Firewire//USB/SATA/PATA data transfers........then after the data transfer is complete you can reboot as normal with 4 cores to do the CPU-intensive audio/video work on the transferred audio/video data files........this approach used to work when using Leopard.......

OK........ just take your time reading and understanding..........and follow the guide as directed..........Part by Part, step by step....... :)

1. Ensure that you have installed slashack's AppleNforceATA.kext, or its AnV variant, in /Extra/Extensions/ and then repair ownership and permissions (no need to use Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/)

2. Put debug=0x144 in your com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386 debug=0x144</string>

3. If you have already done 1. and get no improvement and/or 2. shows no debug screen during a heavy data I/O session, then boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 at the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader boot: prompt when you want to do any heavy Firewire//USB/SATA/PATA data transfers........then after the data transfer is complete you can reboot as normal with 4 cores to do the CPU-intensive audio work on the transferred audio data files........this approach used to work when using Leopard.......

Thanks. I have tried 1 already and will give 2 a try. Thanks for the speedy reply :D

I'm trying to boot a fresh install and all the AppleNForceATA.kext I try are giving me data underrun and IOATAController device blocking bus errors. Does anyone have any idea what those are about?

I'm trying to boot a fresh install and all the AppleNForceATA.kext I try are giving me data underrun and IOATAController device blocking bus errors. Does anyone have any idea what those are about?

It is indicative of a HDD I/O issue......suggest that you use Disk Utility to reformat your HDD OS X volume as MS-DOS (FAT) and then reformat it again as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)........then reset the HDD volume ownership

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

then reinstall OS X, remembering to reset ownership and permissions on /Extra/Extensions/

and force re-creation of Extensions.mkext file for kexts in /S/L/E

......if still no joy after installtion and booting, you may be seeing the start of a "failing" HDD........

It is indicative of a HDD I/O issue......suggest that you use Disk Utility to reformat your HDD OS X volume as MS-DOS (FAT) and then reformat it again as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)........then reset the HDD volume ownership

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

then reinstall OS X, remembering to reset ownership and permissions on /Extra/Extensions/

and force re-creation of Extensions.mkext file for kexts in /S/L/E

......if still no joy after installtion and booting, you may be seeing the start of a "failing" HDD........

Thank you. I went ahead, formatted the hard drive and started over. Now I have a nice new install of Snow Leopard however I can only boot into it if I use CPUS=1. Without it I get the IOATAController device blocking bus error.

Thank you. I went ahead, formatted the hard drive and started over. Now I have a nice new install of Snow Leopard however I can only boot into it if I use CPUS=1. Without it I get the IOATAController device blocking bus error.

Try repairing ownership and permissions on the kernel......

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel
chmod 644 /mach_kernel

Also, PM me a download link for your DSDT.aml file..........I will take a look at it for you.......