nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

I found the image file of the boot CD right after your post LOL i feel so noobish now :rolleyes:

can you help me now installing chameleon again ?

i already have two working windows 7 versions on my hard disk

i want to boot from chameleon to windows and mac

sorry if i made you tired with my requests -_-

Well, once you could boot into your partition, just download a Chameleon 2 RC4 installer and install it to your disk. No explanation is needed once you did it before, right?

When I had Windows in my system, I used it into a different HDD what can avoid you having trouble between OS X and Windblows. :D

That's my suggestion to you.

Chameleon should load all the partitions you have available that can be bootable w/o problems.

Cheers,

bb.

Ok so I'm coming to this from a iLamp running 10.4 and my main desktop running XP. Never ran Leopard, don't have it. But I was working @ Applecare tech support from 10.3 launch until just after 10.4 was launched, so I wasn't too lost with the guide.

Everything installed fine and I'm on the desktop in 10.6.3. some issues though

-Do not have Quartz Extreme running

-my ethernet connection drops whenever I try to access a samba share, or I try and edit in google docs. I have to remove and re-add the device in network properties. (in fact when trying to post this the connection dropped, looks like it's anytime I try to send anything)

Those are the two big issues I'm stuck on.

I'm running an Asus P5N73-AM and I have a BFG GeForce 7300 GS

For the ethernet issue I'm utterly lost after much forum searching, and it's the biggest headache.

For the graphics, I tried DSDT modding with ACPI Patcher in windows, I tried an EFI string I found online (since I don't have leo I can't generate my own). Injection looks to be the best bet, but I can't find a good introductory to that anywhere, so most of the instructions I'm reading are going over my head as to what I need to edit and where those files are located.

help would be appreciated. I know I'm very close to having it all work just can't seem to get the final pieces together.

my kexts in extra are:

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

nForceIOATAFamily.kext (to get my PATA drive working)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

Ok so I'm coming to this from a iLamp running 10.4 and my main desktop running XP. Never ran Leopard, don't have it. But I was working @ Applecare tech support from 10.3 launch until just after 10.4 was launched, so I wasn't too lost with the guide.

Everything installed fine and I'm on the desktop in 10.6.3. some issues though

-Do not have Quartz Extreme running

-my ethernet connection drops whenever I try to access a samba share, or I try and edit in google docs. I have to remove and re-add the device in network properties. (in fact when trying to post this the connection dropped, looks like it's anytime I try to send anything)

Those are the two big issues I'm stuck on.

I'm running an Asus P5N73-AM and I have a BFG GeForce 7300 GS

For the ethernet issue I'm utterly lost after much forum searching, and it's the biggest headache.

For the graphics, I tried DSDT modding with ACPI Patcher in windows, I tried an EFI string I found online (since I don't have leo I can't generate my own). Injection looks to be the best bet, but I can't find a good introductory to that anywhere, so most of the instructions I'm reading are going over my head as to what I need to edit and where those files are located.

help would be appreciated. I know I'm very close to having it all work just can't seem to get the final pieces together.

my kexts in extra are:

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

nForceIOATAFamily.kext (to get my PATA drive working)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

Regarding your BFG GeForce 7300 GS how much VRAM does it have......?

AFAIK your onboard LAN chipset is a Realtek RTL8201CP........however, eno's nForceLAN.kext that you have installed is for nVidia nForce LAN chipsets............have you tried the Psystar R1000.kext......?

BTW do you have working audio...........AFAIK your audio chipset is a VIA VT1708B.......

My GeForce 7300 has 256mb

Audio works fine with VoodooHDA, I only have a 2.1 system setup so I don't need more

Ethernet, trying that kext, first try in extras didn't work. but I also didn't have the IONeworking in there. Will try it with it when I get home from work

My GeForce 7300 has 256mb

Audio works fine with VoodooHDA, I only have a 2.1 system setup so I don't need more

Ethernet, trying that kext, first try in extras didn't work. but I also didn't have the IONeworking in there. Will try it with it when I get home from work

I will PM you link to files.....

Glad your OS X install is up and running........ :)

The Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI Card uses the Ralink RT61 chipset......see if the 10.4 driver here works.........

The Belkin F5D7050 v2 USB adapter uses the RT257x series chipset.........see if the 10.4 driver here works..........

Updating to 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 should be no problem.............personally, I always update OS versions using the downloaded Combo Update..........just remember that before you update to 10.6.3 to keep a copy of the 10.6.2 AppleHDA because you need to install this over the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext (keep a copy of this too) in order for your audio to continue working.........

Is the combo update just the one that Apple offers to download and I don't need to do any sort of special installation then? With the exception of the audiohda of course.

OSX doesnt even recognize the PCI card so those drivers didnt work and neither do the other ones. It recognizes the USB one in system profiler but thats about it.

Something I noticed that I hadn't before. It says 4 gb of RAM in system profiler but when I went to About This Mac it says 2. Does this have something to do with using that arch=i386 command to make it boot into 32-bit? Is there a way I can use all 4 gigs?

Well mate, I know that people wants to run their toshes in a more natural way as possible, but I'd suggest you to buy an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter that works as native and doesn't costs that much.

My mobo have and working ethernet port as native too, but I just use the adapter. Whatever I do to my system, internet is always recognized as native, no matter what. :)

Cheers,

bb.

P.S. - Just FYI, I hate wireless connections. It sucks to me. :)

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately where the modem has to be at in my house is not close to where my computer sits at, so plugging into the router isn't an option. If it was, I just would have got onboard LAN working on it. Appreciate the suggestion though.

You will be able to check if your BIOS Device (RTC) section is OK by extracting your DSDT.aml file and finding Device (RTC) to see if the (IO Decode 16 Length is already 0x02........see post #1 Part B........

But if the Length is not 0x02 then you will need to change it to 0x02 (typically from 0x04 and sometimes 0x08)........ :thumbsup_anim:

So.. I installed Chameleon RC4 and then tried to boot with it and it got stuck at ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: :pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed.

It booted fine earlier with the bootdv o.O

So.. I installed Chameleon RC4 and then tried to boot with it and it got stuck at ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: :pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed.

It booted fine earlier with the bootdv o.O

I would try with:

1. No DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra

2. A simple com.apple.Boot.plist as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"Your graphics string"</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

3. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3........

Is the combo update just the one that Apple offers to download and I don't need to do any sort of special installation then? With the exception of the audiohda of course.

OSX doesnt even recognize the PCI card so those drivers didnt work and neither do the other ones. It recognizes the USB one in system profiler but thats about it.

Something I noticed that I hadn't before. It says 4 gb of RAM in system profiler but when I went to About This Mac it says 2. Does this have something to do with using that arch=i386 command to make it boot into 32-bit? Is there a way I can use all 4 gigs?

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately where the modem has to be at in my house is not close to where my computer sits at, so plugging into the router isn't an option. If it was, I just would have got onboard LAN working on it. Appreciate the suggestion though.

1. Yes, the standard downloadable Apple Combo updates.......just run the installer.......

2. Check your SMBIOS.plist for RAM details entered........

3. You can use all 4GB RAM by using slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext, or its AnV variants.......

4. Re your PCI card, do you mean that it is not shown up in the report from typing "lspci -nn" in Terminal (assuming you have lspci installed....install OSx86Tools or run DPCIManager......)

thanks breakingbad and verdant now i have a fully working snow leopard and windows 7 each one on it's own hard disk, although i got a problem with the old osx i had (as i installed a totally new one). The old osx (which was snow leopard too) when i try to boot it it gave me a really strange error and stop booting (Maybe the strangest error i ever had :) ) it says :

Memory allocation error (0xDEADBEAF,0x0)

what does it mean ?

i don't care if i can't fix i'm just curious about its meaning :thumbsup_anim:

again, I thank you for your great efforts you offered to me

thanks breakingbad and verdant now i have a fully working snow leopard and windows 7 each one on it's own hard disk, although i got a problem with the old osx i had (as i installed a totally new one). The old osx (which was snow leopard too) when i try to boot it it gave me a really strange error and stop booting (Maybe the strangest error i ever had :) ) it says :

Memory allocation error (0xDEADBEAF,0x0)

what does it mean ?

i don't care if i can't fix i'm just curious about its meaning :)

again, I thank you for your great efforts you offered to me

Glad to help and that you got it all sorted.........BTW I run EasyBCD2.0 Beta in Windows 7 and Chameleon 2.0 in OS X, so each OS can boot the other.......see my sig...... :P

As for the Memory allocation error (0xDEADBEAF,0x0) there appear to be various situations where it has been observed and various solutions reported, such as booting into single user mode and repairing the OS X volume permissions, making the problem OS X system HDD the first boot device in BIOS, turning off 'Quick Start/Boot' in BIOS.........

Verdant: I tried the .hex file you pm'ed me. I was just supposed to copy the contents of 7300GS 256MB.hex into the com.apple.Boot.plist right?

Didn't work, still no transparent menu bar, no ripple effect with dashboard.

I'm thinking Nvenabler.kext is my best bet (I do want to get multi monitor going) I'm just completely lost as to what files I'm editing with my card info and where.

Does anyone know a good place to get the basic info on what to do with that kext because alll the post I read assume you know where to put your card info and what to edit and I don't have clue.

As for ethernet, nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext does work with my onboard. It seems there was a conflict with an old voodoo2 card I was using in windows (I had 4 displays going there). When I pulled that to install a compatible pci ethernet card, everything worked great network-wise.

I just need to get Quartz Extreme going and I'll be all set. So any more help on that front would also be greatly appreciated.

Verdant: I tried the .hex file you pm'ed me. I was just supposed to copy the contents of 7300GS 256MB.hex into the com.apple.Boot.plist right?

I'm thinking Nvenabler.kext is my best bet (I do want to get multi monitor going) I'm just completely lost as to what files I'm editing with my card info and where.

Does anyone know a good place to get the basic info on what to do with that kext because alll the post I read assume you know where to put your card info and what to edit and I don't have clue.

As for ethernet, nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext does work with my onboard. It seems there was a conflict with an old voodoo2 card I was using in windows (I had 4 displays going there). When I pulled that to install a compatible pci ethernet card, everything worked great network-wise.

I just need to get Quartz Extreme going and I'll be all set. So any more help on that front would also be greatly appreciated.

the file he gave you was correct, but you need to put it correctly, as for the network, I can help with that or other issues as can others on the board,

[example] com.apple.Boot.plist Excerpt from file:

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Device Properties</key>

<string> INSERT REALY LONG HEX # HERE </string>

</dict>

</plist>

[/example]

at the end of your boot plist if you do not have the Device Properties Key, Add it, then Add the String Key after it and save and reboot, if it is in the right place ( you have 3 places that file can be read from and it's the first file that is read that gets used ) then you should have full working QE/CI.

Hope it helps. HBP

Good news on your network...... :rolleyes:

In post #1, you have the three methods for nVidia graphics cards summarised.......e.g. showing you where to put the hex string etc............and when using NVEnabler.kext, for a manual editing guide for the NVResman and NVDANV40Hal kexts' Info.plist files see here......

@Nebular.

Mate, you can check in the GA-EP45-UD3L forum one post of mine where I explain how to get Quartz Extreme manually via Terminal in case you can´t do it via OSX86 Tools.

I know that you need to install your GFX correctly first, but the hint is given. :D

Cheers,

bb.

So I got it to boot through RC4 with the drive hooked up as a SATA now and I was able to reboot OS X without any CMOS wipes. I have yet to do a DSDT.aml file so that's good news for me.

However, It will not load any extensions properly that I have placed inside the /Extras/Extensions folder. I even ran the kextUtility but nothing. I cannot get LAN, Video, etc. to work properly.

However, it does read all 6GB of my RAM so that's good news too.

So I got it to boot through RC4 with the drive hooked up as a SATA now and I was able to reboot OS X without any CMOS wipes. I have yet to do a DSDT.aml file so that's good news for me.

However, It will not load any extensions properly that I have placed inside the /Extras/Extensions folder. I even ran the kextUtility but nothing. I cannot get LAN, Video, etc. to work properly.

However, it does read all 6GB of my RAM so that's good news too.

Are you using an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra........?

Are you using an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra........?

Yes, it was created using the kextUtility from what was in the support package.

Edit:: I did another boot again just for kicks and everything seems to have loaded. I have internet on it and I can't quite test my cd-drive as I unplugged it to let the hdd be plugged in. I can't get my graphics card to work however. I need to manually add the string it seems since OSx86Tools keeps complaining about kernel property missing in com.apple.boot.plist. After that, sound and then I should be ready to go.

One more Edit: I keep getting a freeze up when I'm in Mac OS X randomly. It just like stops responding and the color wheel starts spinning.

Yes, it was created using the kextUtility from what was in the support package.

Edit:: I did another boot again just for kicks and everything seems to have loaded. I have internet on it and I can't quite test my cd-drive as I unplugged it to let the hdd be plugged in. I can't get my graphics card to work however. I need to manually add the string it seems since OSx86Tools keeps complaining about kernel property missing in com.apple.boot.plist. After that, sound and then I should be ready to go.

One more Edit: I keep getting a freeze up when I'm in Mac OS X randomly. It just like stops responding and the color wheel starts spinning.

1. Temporarily remove Extensions.mkext from /Extra/Extensions/ and repair ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

2. Repair OS X voulme permissions using Disk Utility

3. Put debug=0x144 in your Kernel Flags string along with -v arch=i386

and report what you see on screen the next time you have a freeze........

1. Temporarily remove Extensions.mkext from /Extra/Extensions/ and repair ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

2. Repair OS X voulme permissions using Disk Utility

3. Put debug=0x144 in your Kernel Flags string along with -v arch=i386

and report what you see on screen the next time you have a freeze........

The problem is that its not exactly a "freeze", its more like it stops responding while not giving and error messages. I boot into -v already as it is. The screen doesn't gray out or anything like during a kernel panic.

The problem is that its not exactly a "freeze", its more like it stops responding while not giving and error messages. I boot into -v already as it is. The screen doesn't gray out or anything like during a kernel panic.

That is the reason for putting in debug=0x144 as well, so that it can hopefully catch any kernel panics that occur while OS X is running apps etc........if you have a kernel panic, while using OSX, that is caught by debug=0x144, you should see a debug screen overlaid on the OS X Desktop and/or app window.................

Hello,

I followed this guide step by step, but I have a little problem.

My first aim was to have a windows 7, Mac Leopard and Snow Leopard System. I installed Windows 7 on a SATA-Drive and Leopard on an IDE-Drive. I wanted to have on that IDE Drive 2 partitions, one with Leopard, one with Snow Leopard. My System runs well with Leopard. I tried to Install Snow Leopard with USB Stick Method, as explained in this guide. And Yes Success, Snow Leo Boots up well.

Unfortunatly it says, that my other partition isnt able to have an installation of SL, because it isnt GUID Partitioned. I dont wanted to reformat the IDE-Drive and destroy my running Leopard, so I tried to Install on an empty 40gb USB Drive. Installation runs, everything seems to be ok, but at the end it says: Mac Snow Leopard wasnt able to boot from that USB device, I can only restart. When I try to boot from this USB Drive via BIOS Settings it appaers only a blinking cursor. What I am doing wrong?

Im sry for the bad English, I hope someone understand me :D .

Thanks for help,

Starbuxx

Hello,

I followed this guide step by step, but I have a little problem.

My first aim was to have a windows 7, Mac Leopard and Snow Leopard System. I installed Windows 7 on a SATA-Drive and Leopard on an IDE-Drive. I wanted to have on that IDE Drive 2 partitions, one with Leopard, one with Snow Leopard. My System runs well with Leopard. I tried to Install Snow Leopard with USB Stick Method, as explained in this guide. And Yes Success, Snow Leo Boots up well.

Unfortunatly it says, that my other partition isnt able to have an installation of SL, because it isnt GUID Partitioned. I dont wanted to reformat the IDE-Drive and destroy my running Leopard, so I tried to Install on an empty 40gb USB Drive. Installation runs, everything seems to be ok, but at the end it says: Mac Snow Leopard wasnt able to boot from that USB device, I can only restart. When I try to boot from this USB Drive via BIOS Settings it appaers only a blinking cursor. What I am doing wrong?

Im sry for the bad English, I hope someone understand me :rolleyes: .

Thanks for help,

Starbuxx

If you are installing OS X Snow leopard to a MBR/HFS+ partitioned/formatted HDD volume using the USB flash drive method, you need to follow Parts A > B > C > E.......

If you already have Snow Leopard installed and working on a GUID Partition, i.e. GPT/HFS+ partitioned/formatted HDD volume, the use Carbon Copy Cloner or Disk Utility to clone it to your MBR/HFS+ partitioned/formatted HDD volume......and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 as the bootloader on the IDE HDD if not already installed.......but see Part I if you are not using RC4, or if you are using RC4, but it does not enable you to boot either Leopard or Snow Leopard successfully......

A blinking cursor when trying to boot from the USB Drive from BIOS Boot menu indicates that you have no bootloader (e.g. Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 etc.) installed on your USB HDD, or that if you did have it installed, it has been erased or corrupted..........so re-install the bootloader..........

Thank you!

I just installed the Bootloader to my external HDD and it seems to work! :rolleyes: The only problem now is that it seems very slow(Perhaps EFI String or whatever). Okay I am a noob, but is this now the vanilla kernel so i can update? I used the apple.com... 32Bit file.

Has someone tried out the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Method, would this be an easier way?

Edit: Sry I didn´t read the guide carefully, I didn´t read PART E, sry for that, but the vanilla question is nevertheless unclear

Thank you!

I just installed the Bootloader to my external HDD and it seems to work! ;) The only problem now is that it seems very slow(Perhaps EFI String or whatever). Okay I am a noob, but is this now the vanilla kernel so i can update? I used the apple.com... 32Bit file.

Has someone tried out the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Method, would this be an easier way?

Edit: Sry I didn´t read the guide carefully, I didn´t read PART E, sry for that, but the vanilla question is nevertheless unclear

What are your system details?.........put them in your signature........ This will help me and anyone else understand your issues better.....

If you followed my install guide you would have installed mach_kernel, which is the vanilla kernel........and if you have arch=i386 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file and the SMBIOS.plist file in /Extra........then you should be at 10.6.0 according to About This Mac, and so ready to update to 10.6.2, or 10.6.3.......I recommend downloading the Combo Update .dmg file and running the installer......

Booting from a USB 2.0 external HDD will be slow compared with booting from an internal HDD (PATA or SATA).......but once you have the OS X system working 100% on the external HDD, just clone it to your MBR/HFS+ internal IDE HDD volume.......