nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

No problem about the English....... :)

1. My guide was based on the 'real' Apple Retail OS X Snow leopard Install DVD, so cannot comment on single layer versus dual layer images on DVD........

2. The best way is to set up Leopard on your PC first and use it to generate and fix your DSDT.aml file as explained in post #1 Part B..........

3. That is why it useful to have OS X Leopard installed already so that you can do steps (1) to (13)......

4. On your target OS X Snow Leopard volume that the OS X Install DVD is try to install to.......my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso includes NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions/........but unless you set up NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ on your target OS X Snow Leopard volume beforehand, the OS X Install DVD will load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext instead.......

I installed succesfull Snow Leopard Retail in VirtualBox(on windows) using the dvd5 retail snow leopard with empireEFI, is there anyproblem generating the DSDT file on this virtual machine??

Thanks Verdant

I installed succesfull Snow Leopard Retail in VirtualBox(on windows) using the dvd5 retail snow leopard with empireEFI, is there anyproblem generating the DSDT file on this virtual machine??

Thanks Verdant

Yes because the DSDT.aml file generated will be for a virtual BIOS and PC system and not for your actual physical BIOS and PC system........

I figured as much but I wanted to double check. No changes with the new DSDT but at least this bios is much better than the old one.

Does the new BIOS allow you to enable and then boot using all 4 cores?

Yes I can boot via F8 or BIOS Settings, no problem. Yes it already was set to active....has this something to do with the order of the os installings? for example first install windows, than MAC or vice versa?

I feel a bit ashamed but i am to stupid to handle this with neoGrub. I installed it, but what i have to write inside this text document??? Is it right Boot file to /NST on Windows HDD?? Isnt then chameleon booting to Windows automaticly? I mean this is what is already possible with normal MAC entry, but i dont want to deselect my External HDD first and then select MAC....

Another question: I tried to make a backup of my USB-MAc-Bootstick, but when I try this with MAC Tool I cant to it, because I have no rights....(Snow Leopard and Leopard)

Sry for being quite so long time, reallife sucks sometimes B)

Starbuxx

1. You are effectively using EasyBCD to boot the Chameleon bootloader to then enable you to boot into OS X..........if you can be patient, I will try to find time to sort out a guide for you.......

But perhaps I have misunderstood what you are wanting to do.......please clarify what you mean by "I mean this is what is already possible with normal MAC entry, but i dont want to deselect my External HDD first and then select MAC...."

2. When you prepared your USB-MAc-Bootstick did you re-set its ownership and permissions by

Right-clicking on the USB flash drive volume icon on your Desktop -> Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the the USB flash drive volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equivalent to using root:wheel)

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"the USB flash drive volume name"

Only with CPUS=1.

That is sad...........because typically you have to boot with cpus=1 due your DSDT.aml file having, for example:

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Alias (P001, CPU1)

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P002, CPU2)

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P003, CPU3)

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P004, CPU4)

instead of

Scope (_PR)

{

}

which is easily fixed..........

My DSDT is

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x00) {}

}

not

Scope (_PR)

{

}

Should I change it?

That is sad...........because typically you have to boot with cpus=1 due your DSDT.aml file having, for example:

Scope (_PR)

{

Alias (P001, CPU1)

Alias (P002, CPU2)

Alias (P003, CPU3)

Alias (P004, CPU4)

instead of

Scope (_PR)

{

}

which is easily fixed..........

My DSDT is

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x00) {}

}

not

Scope (_PR)

{

}

Should I change it?

No, that example was from an MSI MOBO.........

My entry is

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

so, see what happens if you change it to the above in your DSDT.aml in /Extra or in /, wherever you keep it.......

It doesn't change anything.

Oh well........ :)

I know for Asus MOBOs, different BIOSs work better with different CPU die sizes, i.e. 65nm vs 45nm vs. 32nm etc..........so for my 650i MOBO and 65nm Q6600 CPU, although Asus have released officially 10 BIOS versions from the latest v1502 on 1/12/2009 to the initial v0302 on 10/1/2007, with v0805 released on 27/8/2007, only the earlier v0803 enables stable OC'ing of my Q6600, even though it was released and then withdrawn as an official BIOS release by Asus!

I suggest you look in OC'ing forums for your MOBO using your CPU and then use the BIOS seen as the best for OC'ing your MOBO.........

dsdt.zipI'll look into that. I'm getting the HPET probe failed message with my new DSDT like I was with my old DSDT before you fixed it. Do you mind patching that for me again or letting me know what you did to fix it?

dsdt.zipI'll look into that. I'm getting the HPET probe failed message with my new DSDT like I was with my old DSDT before you fixed it. Do you mind patching that for me again or letting me know what you did to fix it?

No problem..........I will patch it for you.......... :hysterical:

RaMDay_HPET_Patched_DSDT.zip

Hey, looks like we have a AppleNForceATA that will boot into a 64bit kernel. I'm using it now. There's still no SATA DVD drive support and it hasn't fixed my problem with only being able to boot in single core mode.

Check it out here.

Also, I don't think nForceIOATAFamily.kext is working in 64bit mode because my boot times have gotten longer.

Yes because the DSDT.aml file generated will be for a virtual BIOS and PC system and not for your actual physical BIOS and PC system........

Hi Verdant

i installed iatkos s3, and generated succesfully the dsdt.aml, how do i add the dsdt.aml file to your nforceslboot132dvd? do i have to use BootCDMaker? i saw you mention this software on the guide.

Thanks Again!

Hey, looks like we have a AppleNForceATA that will boot into a 64bit kernel. I'm using it now. There's still no SATA DVD drive support and it hasn't fixed my problem with only being able to boot in single core mode.

Check it out here.

Also, I don't think nForceIOATAFamily.kext is working in 64bit mode because my boot times have gotten longer.

Thanks........imk PM'd me about it too.........I have updated post #1 to include a link to it, with some guidance too...........kudos to imk for fixing and compiling this functional 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext......... :D

Next hope is for full SATA DVDRW read/write functionality in a Universal 32bit/64bit AppleNForceATA.kext.......

Hi Verdant

i installed iatkos s3, and generated succesfully the dsdt.aml, how do i add the dsdt.aml file to your nforceslboot132dvd? do i have to use BootCDMaker? i saw you mention this software on the guide.

Thanks Again!

No, you just put the DSDT.aml file in /Extra or in / directory of your target OS X Snow Leopard volume..........then follow all the steps in post #1 Part F. Section 2. step (1) to step (13) before even booting the nForceSLBoot132DVD.......... :(

It has been a while since your last post..........remind me of your sysytem again........better still put details in your signature......... :D

done :)

Added question :)

I've OC to 3.0 Ghz. Do you know the timing for 800 mhz memory? (you have different mem speeds)

Does the new BIOS allow you to enable and then boot using all 4 cores?

1. You are effectively using EasyBCD to boot the Chameleon bootloader to then enable you to boot into OS X..........if you can be patient, I will try to find time to sort out a guide for you.......

But perhaps I have misunderstood what you are wanting to do.......please clarify what you mean by "I mean this is what is already possible with normal MAC entry, but i dont want to deselect my External HDD first and then select MAC...."

2. When you prepared your USB-MAc-Bootstick did you re-set its ownership and permissions by

Right-clicking on the USB flash drive volume icon on your Desktop -> Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the the USB flash drive volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equivalent to using root:wheel)

1. Sry for writing so stupid ;-). I try to explain again: When I created a normal entry with EASYBCD for MAC with the MBR option, chameleon starts, but boots up various devices, such as usb sticks or usb hdds, just as if i installed chameleon on this devices and selecting them via bios. Now I have the fear with the method with NEOGRUB, that copying the boot file to the NST Folder on windows, will result that chameleonn boots the windows device.

Nevertheless I have no idea how to edit this file, to boot in the right order. I read the FAQ on NEOGRUB Website, but it really diddnt help me :-(

2.Using

works perfectly, Thanks for that!

Hi, need some help with this one, its a bit tricky.

I have installed Mac OSx Snow Leopard and updated it to 10.6.4. (update has nothing to do with the problem)

So i have disconnected all drives except the MacOSx drive which is called "disk0s2".

My "disk0s2" has a jumper so its set as MASTER

I have latest "myHack 1.1" installed.

When i boot up i am getting "Still waiting for root device" even though I have entered in "com.apple.boot.plist " and modified so it looks like the following below:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

I also have a patched DSDT.

Hi, need some help with this one, its a bit tricky.

I have installed Mac OSx Snow Leopard and updated it to 10.6.4. (update has nothing to do with the problem)

So i have disconnected all drives except the MacOSx drive which is called "disk0s2".

My "disk0s2" has a jumper so its set as MASTER

I have latest "myHack 1.1" installed.

When i boot up i am getting "Still waiting for root device" even though I have entered in "com.apple.boot.plist " and modified so it looks like the following below:

<key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>rd=disk0s2</string>
 <string>arch=i386</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>10</string>

I also have a patched DSDT.

1. If your DVDRW is a IDE device, then jumper set it as Master and jumper set your IDE HDD as Slave, using a 80-wire cable.......see post #1 on IDE connections; having a SATA DVDRW will be problematic as the necessary AppleNForceATA.kext does not enable read/write functionality..........an IDE DVDRW is recommended as you can read/write in OS X.............

2. Try this simple Boot.plist file; you should not need to use rd=disk0s2........

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-v arch=i386</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

3. Use only the following kexts (see Snow in /Extra/Extensions/ with no Extensions.mkext file in /Extra on the HDD OS X volume

AppleNForceATA.slash or one of the other AppleNForceATA kexts in Snow_Support_Files V2.3

fakesmc.V2 or V2.5

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

1. Sry for writing so stupid ;-). I try to explain again: When I created a normal entry with EASYBCD for MAC with the MBR option, chameleon starts, but boots up various devices, such as usb sticks or usb hdds, just as if i installed chameleon on this devices and selecting them via bios. Now I have the fear with the method with NEOGRUB, that copying the boot file to the NST Folder on windows, will result that chameleonn boots the windows device.

Nevertheless I have no idea how to edit this file, to boot in the right order. I read the FAQ on NEOGRUB Website, but it really diddnt help me :-(

2.Using

works perfectly, Thanks for that!

Good that 2. is sorted..........as for 1., my OS X entry in EasyBCD using the MBR option boots the PC into the Windows Boot Manager, where I can choose to boot Windows 7 (default), OS X, Ubuntu, or Windows Vista...........if I select OS X, then the PC will continue booting into the Chameleon boot screen, where I can choose which OS X volume to boot into, or into Ubuntu, or into Windows Vista...........that is why I am still not sure whether EsyBCD and/or Chameleon are woking for you in a similar way?

done :D

Added question :D

I've OC to 3.0 Ghz. Do you know the timing for 800 mhz memory? (you have different mem speeds)

I will start with this question. I have set:

Memory Timing Setting [All AUTO]

FSB Memory Clock Mode [uNLINKED]

FSB (QDR)MHz [1467] for 3.3GHz, [1423] for 3.2GHz, [1333] for 3.0GHz

FSB (DDR) MHz [810] for 3.3GHz, 3.2GHz, and 3.0GHz, which overclocks my 667MHz DDR2 RAM to 800MHz

question 1:

I've the same mobo and overclockt to 3ghz (you helped me with the settings)

when i boot my pc most of the time i have to reset my pc because it hangs by applehda, or other load procedures (i use -v). after a reset i get a black screen and i have to reset again. then everything works perfect. sometimes the pc will boot directly.

very strange, what do you think? i have a 80 gb SSD as bootdrive. and a 1 tb harddisk for data for both windows as sl

Which OSs does the SSD boot?

question 2:

I have a z5500 logitech dolby surround set. which has optical in and 3 cables directly in (green, black, orange). when i look at the midi box setup, i can get only 2 channel output. is it possible to get more? and maybe a SupremeFX Audio Card app or something? or do i have to change somewhere?

Did you set up your sound as described in post #2?

In Sysytem Profiler >>> Audio (Built In), do you have:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID:	12

Headphone:

Connection:	1/8-Inch Jack

Speaker:

Line Input:

Line Input:

Line Output:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection:	Optical

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input:

Line Output:

Line Output:

Headphone:

Speaker:

Line Input:

Line Input:

Line Output:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input:

Line Output:

Line Output:

question 3:

i've got a 8800 GT videocard and i'm working with 2 monitors, 2x 24 inch. works perfectly @ 1920- 1200

In about a few week i can (probably) get a 30 inch monitor (samsung). So i need a second 8800GT card for the monitor.

Is it possible to get dual dvi from the second videocard? so that i can work with triple monitor setup?

Assuming your 8800GT cards use the same GPU as the ones in haroot's post here, it should be possible..........I have PM'd you....... :)

No, you just put the DSDT.aml file in /Extra or in / directory of your traget OS X Snow Leopard volume..........then follow all the steps in post #1 Part F. Section 2. step (1) to step (13) before even booting the nForceSLBoot132DVD.......... :(

what program do you use to put the dsdt.aml into the nforceslboot.iso??

i tried with UltraISO, but when i boot i get a error(boot failed), tried same thing putting the dsdt.aml file into/Extra on empire_efiboot132.iso and still got error, it doesn't even get to the darwin screen(the one to eject boot132 and insert osx install dvd)

so i think its something with the software im using.

Thank you Verdant. :)

Good that 2. is sorted..........as for 1., my OS X entry in EasyBCD using the MBR option boots the PC into the Windows Boot Manager, where I can choose to boot Windows 7 (default), OS X, Ubuntu, or Windows Vista...........if I select OS X, then the PC will continue booting into the Chameleon boot screen, where I can choose which OS X volume to boot into, or into Ubuntu, or into Windows Vista...........that is why I am still not sure whether EsyBCD and/or Chameleon are woking for you in a similar way?

I have no idea, but is it right, that chameleon autoboots my devices(HDD, USB, or if selectet with BIOS even Snow Leopard)? I changed in apple.com.plist timeout to 1 for me, because then it will need 1 second to boot. This is the thing it should be, I dont want to select it everytime!

The funny thing is, it worked for me some installations ago(Windows and Snow Leo), with the standart Mac boot entry....

I did find my post.

And the kext you are talking about i am aready using.

I have Mac OS X installed on a SATA. So now becasue of that ist impossible?

I can still boot with the CD to run mac os x so dont see why it should work with just a sata drive.

And must i have the DVDRW connected at all?

I have no idea, but is it right, that chameleon autoboots my devices(HDD, USB, or if selectet with BIOS even Snow Leopard)? I changed in apple.com.plist timeout to 1 for me, because then it will need 1 second to boot. This is the thing it should be, I dont want to select it everytime!

The funny thing is, it worked for me some installations ago(Windows and Snow Leo), with the standart Mac boot entry....

I have Windows on a MBR partitioned HDD connected to SATA 1 and Leopard OS X on a MBR partitioned HDD connected to SATA 2 and Snow Leopard OS X on a GPT partitioned HDD connected to SATA 3 ..........with SATA 1 as the first HDD in BIOS.........so when the PC boots, the Windows Boot Manager in the MBR of the SATA 1 HDD loads first.......if I make no selection to boot into Leopard OS X, it will boot into Windows 7 by default because this is how I set up the boot order in EasyBCD.........

If your Snow Leopard volume is on a GPT/HFS+ HDD/volume, then EasyBCD could possibly have problems booting into it....... e.g. when using the EasyBCD MBR option I can set up a boot entry for OS X Leopard but not for Snow Leopard but I select Leopard OS X in the Windows Boot Manager and then from the Leoaprd OS X Chameleon bootloader menu, I select the Snow Leopard volume on the GPT/HFS+ HDD that I wish to boot into........

So, it all depends on whether or not Windows and OS X are sharing the same MBR partitioned HDD, and if you have installed the Chameleon or Windows bootloader in the HDD MBR and so which of the OSs on the HDD is set as the active volume.......

Or, if Windows and OS X are on separate HDDs, and if the OS X HDD is MBR or GPT partitioned.....

If you want to boot first into OS X, then use Chameleon but if you want to boot first into Windows use EasyBCD.........

what program do you use to put the dsdt.aml into the nforceslboot.iso??

i tried with UltraISO, but when i boot i get a error(boot failed), tried same thing putting the dsdt.aml file into/Extra on empire_efiboot132.iso and still got error, it doesn't even get to the darwin screen(the one to eject boot132 and insert osx install dvd)

so i think its something with the software im using.

Thank you Verdant. :P

Why are you trying to put your DSDT.aml file into the nforceslboot.iso? You should put it in the /Extra or / directory of your target Snow Leopard OS X install HDD volume..........

I did find my post.

And the kext you are talking about i am aready using.

I have Mac OS X installed on a SATA. So now becasue of that ist impossible?

I can still boot with the CD to run mac os x so dont see why it should work with just a sata drive.

And must i have the DVDRW connected at all?

Since you do not give much information on how you have tried to set up OS X, I am assuming that you have set up your BIOS settings against the recommended settings for OS X on your nForce 650i chipsetMOBO?

If not, then check in my OS X Leopard on Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs thread......

With an nForce chipset MOBO, the best combo is a SATA HDD and a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper set as Master...........a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD combo is often a problem, as is a SATA DVDRW and IDE HDD combo...........

With a SATA DVDRW and ≤3GB RAM, then you should/can useMeDevil's AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext (but if you have >3GB RAM, then you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist with this kext), whereas, with a PATA DVDRW, you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (and its later variants, e.g. by AnV etc.) with >3GB installed.......