[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Hi, I installed Chameleon_2.0_RC4_V3  w/ Snow Leopard on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R. Boots flawlessly, but the boot file is visible? Is it supposed to be that way now? Normally it's hidden and should be. 

I posted about it on the Chameleon thread. Anybody else with our board have this issue?

So I updated to 10.6.3 and I got the sleepenabler kernal panics. I just googled "sleepenabler.kext 10.6.3" and found a link to a version that is compatible with the update. I deleted my old one remotely and installed the new one, then I booted to OS X with the -x32 flag (otherwise I would get kernal panics at the desktop) and repaired permissions. Then I rebooted again with no flags and all was good. Back on Snow Leopard with sleep functionality.

Only issue is that I still have no QE/CI for my 9800 GT. I used the 9800 GT EFI string as suggested and changed the part that specifies the VRAM size to 512mb, but with still no luck.

EDIT: Oh, and the eject buttons on my DVD drives actually don't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Well, on my Snow testbed, everything seems fine, extensions test with open GL viewer only fails 3.0. However, 10.6, unlike 10.5 doesn't report QE/CI in system profiler.

Looking around..... 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183473

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

The only thing which worries me is the visible bootfile I get with Chameleon_2.0_RC4_V3. 

Well, on my Snow testbed, everything seems fine, extensions test with open GL viewer only fails 3.0. However, 10.6, unlike 10.5 doesn't report QE/CI in system profiler.

Looking around..... 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183473

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

The only thing which worries me is the visible bootfile I get with Chameleon_2.0_RC4_V3. 

Yep, nevermind, I'm a noob. I was unaware that SL doesn't report QE/CI information in the graphics information. According to the test methods, it's enabled for me.

So that puts the icing on the cake for a perfect SL install with this guide and the Cartri custom bios! Well, except for the eject buttons on my DVD drives not working, but I've always had that problem for all OS X versions I've used. If there is a solution though, that would be nice.

except for the eject buttons on my DVD drives not working

Not too sure I understand. If the DVD drive button isn't working, the problem should be with the DVD drive. I've got logitech wave and G15 keyboards. 10.3, 10.5, 10.6 all automatically map the wave's F12 key to eject. 10.3 doesn't recognise G15 but 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 both see it and set the eject key correctly. I can open and close my Pioneer DVD drive with either the DVD front button or the F12 key.

About the 9800 GT 512 mb + G5 Logitech mouse combo that causes mouse skipping when coming out of sleep on 10.5, I haven't had that problem in 10.6.3 though with full updates and the latest versions of iTunes and Quicktime. No need to downgrade at all.  :thumbsup_anim:  

Not too sure I understand. If the DVD drive button isn't working, the problem should be with the DVD drive. I've got logitech wave and G15 keyboards. 10.3, 10.5, 10.6 all automatically map the wave's F12 key to eject. 10.3 doesn't recognise G15 but 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 both see it and set the eject key correctly. I can open and close my Pioneer DVD drive with either the DVD front button or the F12 key.

About the 9800 GT 512 mb + G5 Logitech mouse combo that causes mouse skipping when coming out of sleep on 10.5, I haven't had that problem in 10.6.3 though with full updates and the latest versions of iTunes and Quicktime. No need to downgrade at all.  :rolleyes:  

My F12 key is automatically mapped to bring up my dashboard. The drives work fine in Windows, but the front keys don't respond in Mac. I went ahead and gave up on the G5 after I bought the Logitech LX8, so I'm not concerned about the mouse. Guess it just didn't like me.

My F12 key is automatically mapped to bring up my dashboard. The drives work fine in Windows, but the front keys don't respond in Mac. I went ahead and gave up on the G5 after I bought the Logitech LX8, so I'm not concerned about the mouse. Guess it just didn't like me.

My G5 hasn't had the skip after sleep problem since I started using Snow Leopard. There was one kext that also caused skipping; "AppleUserUpstreamClient.kext". Delete this from /S/L/E and you should have fewer problems.

My G5 hasn't had the skip after sleep problem since I started using Snow Leopard. There was one kext that also caused skipping; "AppleUserUpstreamClient.kext". Delete this from /S/L/E and you should have fewer problems.

I gave that a shot. But eh, I'm just done with the mouse issue. Thanks though.

Compared to my past years in and out of tinkering with OS X, this whole installation was almost effortless with the help of this thread and the Cartri BIOS. Is there any other mobo as compatible as this at the moment?

Out of curiosity, what are people using in /E/E currently?

(GA EP45-UD3R)

I've only got JMicronATA and fakesmc in there since using Kakewalk on my current test install. Everything works. Even the com.apple.boot.plist doesn't need the long efi string anymore; only requires graphicsenabler=yes. I can probably do without JMicronATA too.

Our board : Gigabyte EP45-UD3R    ;)

I've only got JMicronATA and fakesmc in there since using Kakewalk on my current test install. Everything works. Even the com.apple.boot.plist doesn't need the long efi string anymore; only requires graphicsenabler=yes. I can probably do without JMicronATA too.

Our board : Gigabyte EP45-UD3R :D

I like doing a few things manually, but GraphicsEnabler can be useful (if it supports your graphics card).

@d00m42

Can you or some of the other seasoned vets post your currently working DSDTs. I've been spinning my wheels trying to clean up mine using the DSDT fixes for Gibabyte boards thread but I'm having a tough road the one someone gave me is so full of errors it doesn't even compile.

I'd like to at least look at our mobo dsdts so I can really see what things I can edit out before I start on getting the CPU edits in there (and SMBUS, etc.). The only edits I have were the adds from your original guide.

Thanks

@d00m42

Can you or some of the other seasoned vets post your currently working DSDTs. I've been spinning my wheels trying to clean up mine using the DSDT fixes for Gibabyte boards thread but I'm having a tough road the one someone gave me is so full of errors it doesn't even compile.

I'd like to at least look at our mobo dsdts so I can really see what things I can edit out before I start on getting the CPU edits in there (and SMBUS, etc.). The only edits I have were the adds from your original guide.

Thanks

I believe that this is my latest DSDT, although I made it a LONG time ago and haven't tried to optimize it since (considering everything works fine, given the kexts I also have in /E/E). I may start working on it soon. I use a C2D processor and an EP45-UD3R (see sig).

DL Link:

http://uppit.com/v/H398CVHA

I believe that this is my latest DSDT, although I made it a LONG time ago and haven't tried to optimize it since (considering everything works fine, given the kexts I also have in /E/E). I may start working on it soon. I use a C2D processor and an EP45-UD3R (see sig).

DL Link:

http://uppit.com/v/H398CVHA

Many thanks. That's been my story as well. "It it ain't broke..." However, I do wish to clean things up a bit and want to at least see what items I have that others do not. Currently my dsdt is significantly longer than what others on the dsdt fix thread have. I know enough now to get the CPU part working, but I'm more interested in getting some of the garbage out.

Anyway, again (and as always) thanks for your help.

What happens if Virtualization Technology is enabled in the BIOS? Is there any way to make this functional, because I was interested in setting up VM Ware Fusion, and it requires VT to be enabled for 64-bit support.

What happens if Virtualization Technology is enabled in the BIOS? Is there any way to make this functional, because I was interested in setting up VM Ware Fusion, and it requires VT to be enabled for 64-bit support.

With my previous Snow install, I turned VT etc all back on post install and updates without any issue. With Kakewalk, VT etc were all enabled pre and post install updates and didn't cause any trouble.

I finally fixed my long standing sleep issue!

If anybody is having a problem getting their ud3r board to auto sleep, try diableing the EIST function in the bios. Then do a full shut down and disconnect the power from the supply for about 20 sec. When you turn on your system again you should have sleep operational. :D

I was finally able to get rid of PleaseSleep! Now I have to get Voodoo Power Mini working or cartri will put the speed stepping in his bios -which ever comes first! :)

just flashed cartri's 0.7m bios to my system and installed 10.6.0 and tried to update to 10.6.3. On the restart it booted up but only gave me a blue screen. I tried multiple restarts but it gave the same results. The only way it booted was from safe mode. anyone have any ideas?

just flashed cartri's 0.7m bios to my system and installed 10.6.0 and tried to update to 10.6.3. On the restart it booted up but only gave me a blue screen. I tried multiple restarts but it gave the same results. The only way it booted was from safe mode. anyone have any ideas?

Do You use hdmi connection to monitor?

nope, i have an older nvidia 6600gt card. but im going to try to reinstall with a 10.6.3 disc and see how that works out.

*EDIT*

with cartri's 0.7m bios, i reinstalled from 10.6 then used combo update for 10.6.3. after some fiddling around with kexts, i got my onboard ethernet to work. I found that 10.6.3 must not like older nvidia cards because everytime i inject using EFIstudio, i get a blue screen.

hi every one

I have been more than month trying to make my pc work with snow leo but I failed failed failed......can any one help me ?????????? I feel very bad :( I need help....my pc configuration is:

Main board GA- EP45-UD3R like most of pple here

and my graphic card is GForce 9600 GT ( this card drive me crazy )

I have also sound blaster SB live card ( in case anyone have kext for it )

hopeeeeeeeeeee someoneeeeeeee helppppppppppppp

hi every one

I have been more than month trying to make my pc work with snow leo but I failed failed failed......can any one help me ?????????? I feel very bad :D I need help....my pc configuration is:

Main board GA- EP45-UD3R like most of pple here

and my graphic card is GForce 9600 GT ( this card drive me crazy )

I have also sound blaster SB live card ( in case anyone have kext for it )

hopeeeeeeeeeee someoneeeeeeee helppppppppppppp

You have to try to speak in a concise manner, so everyone can understand you. If you don't speak English well, I understand, but try to explain why you can't get OS X to work on your PC. If we know what your problems are, we can help you solve them!

Why do all the guides only point to updating upto 10.6.2? I've got my install working fine on 10.6.3

Was it a fresh install of 10.6.3 or did you upgrade? Just use software update and everything worked ok? Any problems after the upgrade?

Id like to upgrade to 10.6.3 but dont want to risk crashing my box.

Was it a fresh install of 10.6.3 or did you upgrade? Just use software update and everything worked ok? Any problems after the upgrade?

Id like to upgrade to 10.6.3 but dont want to risk crashing my box.

Reiterating a post of mine a page or two ago:

"So I updated to 10.6.3 and I got the sleepenabler kernal panics. I just googled "sleepenabler.kext 10.6.3" and found a link to a version that is compatible with the update. I deleted my old one remotely and installed the new one, then I booted to OS X with the -x32 flag (otherwise I would get kernal panics at the desktop) and repaired permissions. Then I rebooted again with no flags and all was good. Back on Snow Leopard with sleep functionality."

I'm sure if you prepare the kexts before you update, all should go smoothly. I am running the Cartri BIOS, mind you.