[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard without an existing Leopard install? Can't find any guides for it. Thanks.

Yes it's possible but before you start you need to know :

1) If your HW is ok to support SL

2) You need a copy of SL retail

3) You need a boot iso that you can find here www.kexts.com

4) Google about the guides the web is plenty of it........

Best Regards

Tuxy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed this thread managed to stay alive; I didn't think there would still be replies from a few weeks ago!

Since Lion is coming out soon, I may be working on that when I have some free time over the summer.

• 1 month later...
I'm amazed this thread managed to stay alive; I didn't think there would still be replies from a few weeks ago!

Since Lion is coming out soon, I may be working on that when I have some free time over the summer.

Me too buddy... I'd love to get it working on my EP45 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been running my build (See sig) for ages. I've started to notice some weird USB issues that I think cropped in at around 10.6.6. These include:

• unresponsive ports (requires reboots)
  • non-functional webcam
  • difficulty mounting USB drives of any sort
  • Occasional instability (e.g., failed file transfer to mounted USB drives)

To be honest, I don't know when this started happening as I wasn't hot swapping much (I own a MB Pro and MB Air). It's odd, once a USB port is working, it basically works until I reboot. 8 out 10 times, the port works after reboot, otherwise, I spend some time just unplugging and replugging peripherals.

The Webcam is interesting. I use an HP 12MP Elite webcam with hardware autofocus (worked as well as the Logitech mac webcam). It used to work great. Skype, Photo Booth, iChat, Quicktime all used to work. Now, it will work for about 5 seconds before freezing. It also seems to saturate anything else I have on the USB bus (e.g., my mouse will start to lag) until I quit the app or unplug the camera.

In my research, I've read that Apple updated the USB kexts in 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 which seemed to be the root of my problems. I've tried loading 10.6.4 kexts but they have not helped.

Granted, I thought that having a custom DSDT.aml file would make me immune to all of this stuff. I've used both a custom one I made back for 10.5 and the latest one that doom42 made in his SL pack v5.0b.

Any ideas?

I tried different methods but none are working for me, this is what my profiles display but still no sound.

At the moment patched the dsdt again, replaced the applehda with the one from 10.6.7 and added LegacyALC889.kext to my extra folder.

schermafbeelding2011062x.png

I tried different methods but none are working for me, this is what my profiles display but still no sound.

At the moment patched the dsdt again, replaced the applehda with the one from 10.6.7 and added LegacyALC889.kext to my extra folder.

schermafbeelding2011062x.png

Still no sound, speaker on the top still grayed out i managed to get te audio code to: 885

schermafbeelding2011062h.png

After dealing with some audio issues after the 10.6.8 update, i decided to create a new package for the EP45-UD3R Boards to work on the latest update.

I added support for:

• Audio
  • Fan speed
  • All system temperatures
  • Sleep
  • and some other stuff.

Dont forget to make the necessary changes in some files, see first post!!!!

SL PACK 2011 (OSX 10.6.8):

Download

Hi all,

for sound working on 10.6.8 all you need is:

- ALC885_889a.kext from 'tmongkol' package download -> here

- follow instructions in Readme First.txt file and add layout885.xml and Platforms.xml to 10.6.8 AppleHDA.kext

- finally: edit HDEF section in your DSDT so it looks like here:

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889a"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

all credits to 'tmongkol'

ciao

After dealing with some audio issues after the 10.6.8 update, i decided to create a new package for the EP45-UD3R Boards to work on the latest update.

I added support for:

• Audio
  • Fan speed
  • All system temperatures
  • Sleep
  • and some other stuff.

Dont forget to make the necessary changes in some files, see first post!!!!

SL PACK 2011 (OSX 10.6.8):

Download

Cool! I'm interested in checking out what you did to get the fans under control... mine are currently blasting away all the time ;)

Hi guys, just wanted to check back in and say that I was able to install Lion GM on my UD3R! I haven't gotten sound or networking working yet, but otherwise everything seems good. Anyone else taken the plunge?

Hi guys, just wanted to check back in and say that I was able to install Lion GM on my UD3R! I haven't gotten sound or networking working yet, but otherwise everything seems good. Anyone else taken the plunge?

Juist use the appleHDA kext and the 889a kext in the extra folder for my package and the "RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B" installer from this package (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=96301) for the network, to get the appstore working just use the efi enjection.

I got it fully working, i just have to fix my firewire i think

i will post my lion kext as soon as possible

Juist use the appleHDA kext and the 889a kext in the extra folder for my package and the "RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B" installer from this package (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=96301) for the network, to get the appstore working just use the efi enjection.

I got it fully working, i just have to fix my firewire i think

i will post my lion kext as soon as possible

Thanks! Turns out my audio was working after all (thanks to my DSDT), I just had to select the right output in System Preferences (d'oh!). I used the Realtek drivers and now my network is working, thanks!

After install of 10.6.8 I have obviously lost sound.

I am using the Cartri bios. I have only needed LegacyHDA.kext and the blocksorageinjector(orange icon fix).

I have had no luck in using the 10.6.7 APPPLEHDA.kext with either ALC885_889a.kext or the LEGACY_HDA.kext.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong there. I may also be using a method that is just not going to work anymore.

So I ask how much of a hassle am I looking at to switching over to a standard bios with DSDT? I stayed away from all of that due to the fact cartri made it so easy, and I still have not come to fully understand DSDT.

I hope in the mean time I can just properly patch what I have and still use the machine with sound. And start a new build with DSDT.

Either way I need help :(

After install of 10.6.8 I have obviously lost sound.

I am using the Cartri bios. I have only needed LegacyHDA.kext and the blocksorageinjector(orange icon fix).

I have had no luck in using the 10.6.7 APPPLEHDA.kext with either ALC885_889a.kext or the LEGACY_HDA.kext.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong there. I may also be using a method that is just not going to work anymore.

So I ask how much of a hassle am I looking at to switching over to a standard bios with DSDT? I stayed away from all of that due to the fact cartri made it so easy, and I still have not come to fully understand DSDT.

I hope in the mean time I can just properly patch what I have and still use the machine with sound. And start a new build with DSDT.

Either way I need help :(

I use the Cartri bios as well and have got the sound to work perfectly.

Just replace ur AppleHDA with the attached one. You don't even need any additional kexts in your extra folder.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

after replacing the appleHDA.kext from the previous post, I get the same resluts. No sound. I even went as far as re applying the 10.6.8 update. Then repeating the process. Is there something I am missing? Is it not just a simple drag and drop? I see quite a few methods for this and most of them involve DSDT patching. All of the ones I have found that have been simple .kext replacements have come up dry for me.

after replacing the appleHDA.kext from the previous post, I get the same resluts. No sound. I even went as far as re applying the 10.6.8 update. Then repeating the process. Is there something I am missing? Is it not just a simple drag and drop? I see quite a few methods for this and most of them involve DSDT patching. All of the ones I have found that have been simple .kext replacements have come up dry for me.

Can you try booting with -f