[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

All you really lose with the UD3L are two SATA ports (you'll still have 6) and RAID capability. If you don't need the extra SATA ports and have no plans to do hardware RAID, get the UD3L and save a few bucks

not hardware RAID really,

RAID option on UD3R is actually software based RAID which is not supported by OSX anyway.

I try to keep it as simple as possible on all my builds. So I use:

. Disabler

. fakesmc

. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

. the appropriate LegacyHDA, and

. OpenHaltRestart.

That's it. I never sleep my computers. They're either on or off, so I don't even bother with SleepEnabler, especially since it always seems to be a tricky one.

Hi all,

Just wanted to report another successful update to 10.6.3, I've got the EP45-UD3L mobo and needed to use the AppleHDA from the following post to get my sound working again. (didn't touch my original DSDT).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=212433

Also I've got an ATI 4890 so I had to use the netkas package from here:

http://netkas.org/?p=382

Everything still works, including sleep.

- Fed.

I'm having an odd sleep issue. I just updated to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2 (although I noticed this issue existed before I updated), but whenever I go to sleep my computer, it doesn't actually go to sleep when I click "Sleep". There is a lag time of 10-30 seconds after I click "Sleep" (during which I can use the computer normally), and then the computer finally goes to sleep. It wakes perfectly.

Any ideas? It could be an intermittent process that lags the computer as it closes when I try to sleep, but how would I go about identifying which process is the culprit?

I'm having an odd sleep issue. I just updated to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2 (although I noticed this issue existed before I updated), but whenever I go to sleep my computer, it doesn't actually go to sleep when I click "Sleep". There is a lag time of 10-30 seconds after I click "Sleep" (during which I can use the computer normally), and then the computer finally goes to sleep. It wakes perfectly.

Any ideas? It could be an intermittent process that lags the computer as it closes when I try to sleep, but how would I go about identifying which process is the culprit?

Is your computer using Ambien?

Lol I'm pretty sure if it was using Ambien, it would fall asleep faster >.<

Anyways, Beerkex'd helped me figure out the solution. I looked at the kernel log and saw that damn Weatherbug was the cause. Problem solved =D I am currently using 8 kexts in /E/E, but a few are optional fixes that I'd rather leave there.

I'm trying to follow the USB stick guide to install and have hit some problems. My first attempt had some crash during the install, then i re-read and realised i'd not added the -x32 to the boot.plist. Upon adding this though I then can no longer see my target install hdd appearing in disk utility or available to install SL to.

The disk in question is 1TB, whether that has any bearing on it being unavailable with -x32 as mach_flags in boot.plist or specified as -x32 at the chameleon prompt before booting the installer usb stick.

I'll get a crash when i can, at the moment the log is sitting on the disk relatively inaccesible to me as im trying another reinstall.

I knew this wasn't going to be THAT easy :)

In the end the install ended up working after trying it a few times.. I have no idea why.. may have been an illusion but i wondered if it was something to do with not moving the mouse, as whenever the screensaver/monitor turned off it seemed to struggle.

Anyways I've since installed and generally everything is working. I've updated to 10.6.3, which caused real problems, as expected with SleepEnabler, but i managed to re-run the installer and patch this to work.

I think the guide/pak could do with talking about the SleepEnabler version dependancy. I also wouldn't of minded a step to explain how to set the Timeout in the Boot.plist to make the computer auto boot into mac instead of requiring you to press enter.

Sleep seems to work, though i've not used it much yet. I never used to use it but i guess i'll have to start to because...

The only problem i have is Wake On Lan only works if my hackintosh is sleeping.. the same hardware with Leopard used to work with WOL after i'd shut it down. Has anyone got any experience of getting this to work with Snow Leopard on the GA EP45-UD3R after you have shut down? If sleep really does work perfectly it'll not be a problem to move to it, but I'd rather my computer be turned off totally, yet still able to be awoken!!!

Cheers

can you wake from sleep using keyboard? I can wake from sleep just with the mouse. I want to do that just pressing a keyboard button. I'm using an Apple aluminium keyboard.

Thank you.

There might be a USB tweak needed in your DSDT. Are you using one that you made yourself, or are you using someone else's? My computer wakes fine with the keyboard, mouse, and power button (10.6.3).

Anyone tried the custom OSX bios for Gigabyte P45 boards?

"Custom BIOS Allows for Mac on your Hack without DSDT Patches"

http://www.insanelymac.com/?p=214174&cp=4?#comments

Looks like the alpha for the EP45-UD3R was just made, so I'm interested to see where that will take this thread. I've read through everything and handled some of the prerequisites I need to tackle SL, but I plan on waiting until the weekend to see how this plays out to try my install.

There might be a USB tweak needed in your DSDT. Are you using one that you made yourself, or are you using someone else's? My computer wakes fine with the keyboard, mouse, and power button (10.6.3).

I'm using mine DSDT file. Now I have done this issue by tweaking DSDT file. Thank you!

ALC889a.kext

fakesmc.kext

should treat HDDs with OrangeIconFix but I quite like them in orange :(

I haven't been around for a few months, but it looks like there's been quite a bit of dsdt progress for the ud3r. Swavek, any chance of posting your latest dsdt? Looks like you might have the slimmest install right now for our board.

Thanks,

kk

youre welcome here

you probably need to change your CPU sstep info, mine includes E8400 OC'ed to 3600 also Device (PEGP) contains my GPU info which is Nvidia 9600GT

ciao

s

Thanks Swavek. I'll make the necessary adjustments for speedstep and GPU. Only 2 kexts required are ALC889a.kext and fakesmc.kext?

Thanks again,

kk

Thanks Swavek. I'll make the necessary adjustments for speedstep and GPU. Only 2 kexts required are ALC889a.kext and fakesmc.kext?

Thanks again,

kk

thats right, these two only if you happy with orange HDD icons, otherwise +orangeiconfix.kext

best

s

does anyone ever have problems with their network with this motherboard. I had problems with it with leopard and sadly they've remained in snow leopard. Just quite often it'll boot and end up with its own broken directly assigned IP. The only way to fix it is to reboot repeatedly or shutdown.. I just totally powered down the PC and it thankfully worked.

When it works its all fine so i don't think its a problem with any config changes.

does anyone ever have problems with their network with this motherboard. I had problems with it with leopard and sadly they've remained in snow leopard. Just quite often it'll boot and end up with its own broken directly assigned IP. The only way to fix it is to reboot repeatedly or shutdown.. I just totally powered down the PC and it thankfully worked.

When it works its all fine so i don't think its a problem with any config changes.

It's been rock solid for me on this board in both 32- and 64-bit through DSDT. The EX58 board is another story, though.