[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

My graphics card is a 9800 GT. I don't have any issues with it in Windows, but I'm wondering if it may be running a little hotter than it should in OS X.

Any thoughts?

I was also wondering about this because the fan connector on my 9800GT failed one day and the screen locked up. Heatsink was boiling hot when I examined it. I had to connect the graphics card fan to a main. I don't understand it because 9800GT was very stable for over a year in 10.5.8.

I got my EP45-UD3R motherboard a day ago. Whole yesterday went in getting it up. Whole today went in getting it up. Just now I have been able to get it up with full resolution and audio. However, I think I still suffer from the CMOS RESET problem and also my system time is incorrect.

This is one of the reasons I replaced my otherwise perfect S975XBX2 .... please help with the time! If the time issue is sorted out, I'll have a perfect hack-mac!

Hey... I stumbled across Kakewalk. That thing is really a cake walk, by jove! Everything running perfect. I updated to 10.6.3 as well. Did not use 10.6.4 due to Valve advising against it... This was the easiest install ever since the JaS 10.4.8 distro which was my entry into OSX... I donated this guy! Deserves it completely...

Im using 10.6.4 with cartri's bios and everything is running awesome, even have wake from keyboard and mouse finally. check it out cartri.net

Just follow the manual to a T and everything works, only 3 kexts in extra, and no com.apple.boot.plist or smbios needed or DSDT!!!!

Im using 10.6.4 with cartri's bios and everything is running awesome, even have wake from keyboard and mouse finally. check it out cartri.net

Just follow the manual to a T and everything works, only 3 kexts in extra, and no com.apple.boot.plist or smbios needed or DSDT!!!!

Will using a modded bios affect performance in any other OS? Does overclocking still work?

Will using a modded bios affect performance in any other OS? Does overclocking still work?

I'm currently using the Cartri BIOS on my EP45-UD3R rig with both SL and Vista. I've noticed no negative effect in Windows whatever and I aggressively overclock.

I have vmware with xp working just fine, haven't done a multisystem install as I use a serparate windows machine. Also haven't done any overclocking yet because I'm unsing the stock 9550 fan.

I'm currently using the Cartri BIOS on my EP45-UD3R rig with both SL and Vista. I've noticed no negative effect in Windows whatever and I aggressively overclock.

What fan are you cooling the cpu with for overclocking? Do you find it makes a big performance difference?

Hey... I stumbled across Kakewalk. That thing is really a cake walk, by jove! Everything running perfect. I updated to 10.6.3 as well. Did not use 10.6.4 due to Valve advising against it... This was the easiest install ever since the JaS 10.4.8 distro which was my entry into OSX... I donated this guy! Deserves it completely...

Glad it worked for you. The one thing I like about doing it all by hand, includng the DSDT file, is that I can troubleshoot problems easier. Using an automatic installer means you don't know what's going on under the hood. YMMV.

Glad it worked for you. The one thing I like about doing it all by hand, includng the DSDT file, is that I can troubleshoot problems easier. Using an automatic installer means you don't know what's going on under the hood. YMMV.

getting ready to try Kakewalk with my EP45-UD3R + 9400GT. However carti looks nice as well, expect for the confusing website.

Which one of these will work better and have the most working right away? Also, which is better for future SL + OSX upgrades?

Thanks

getting ready to try Kakewalk with my EP45-UD3R + 9400GT. However carti looks nice as well, expect for the confusing website.

Which one of these will work better and have the most working right away? Also, which is better for future SL + OSX upgrades?

Thanks

I'd recommend doing it the way that's illustrated in the very first post. That way if something goes awry your not having to flash your mobo's bios- which is risky. Also if anything does come up its just a matter of trading out kext files.

On the other hand, I'm now having issues with the cartri bios deal. My ethernet is no longer functioning properly- instead of getting an ip address from my router its now self-assigning. I'm not sure if its the bios or perhaps a bad kext for the lan. This type of problem has happened before and it was just a matter of changing out kext files and I was in business. I've tried multiple ones and still nothing works- Anyone else have this problem? I have the EP45-UD3R board on OS 10.6.3. Sound and everything else is working- including sleep.

Thanks

I've got the EP45-UD3R + E8400 + HD4870

Cartri is a peace of cake and absolutely superb! The only kexts I'm using in extra ATM is Fakesmc, OrangeIcons & LegacyHDA. In fact the only other file I have in the Extra folder is the boot.plist (which u don't need) to get by boot time resolution up. Cartri is hoping to get it to a point where no kexts will be needed. AWESOME!

I'd recommend doing it the way that's illustrated in the very first post. That way if something goes awry your not having to flash your mobo's bios- which is risky. Also if anything does come up its just a matter of trading out kext files.

On the other hand, I'm now having issues with the cartri bios deal. My ethernet is no longer functioning properly- instead of getting an ip address from my router its now self-assigning. I'm not sure if its the bios or perhaps a bad kext for the lan. This type of problem has happened before and it was just a matter of changing out kext files and I was in business. I've tried multiple ones and still nothing works- Anyone else have this problem? I have the EP45-UD3R board on OS 10.6.3. Sound and everything else is working- including sleep.

How are you getting the ethernet to work? I'm using the standard drivers along with the Bonjour app that d00m42 has included in his pack. Everything has been absolutely perfect. I'm running in 64bit mode as well.

One thing about the latest 0.8 Bios which I just found out recently. You HAVE to turn Green Lan option in Bios off (even though the Manual asks you to switch it ON). Found it through trial and error but then later realised it was posted on Cartri's site ages ago :blink:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;st=980

How are you getting the ethernet to work? I'm using the standard drivers along with the Bonjour app that d00m42 has included in his pack. Everything has been absolutely perfect. I'm running in 64bit mode as well.

One thing about the latest 0.8 Bios which I just found out recently. You HAVE to turn Green Lan option in Bios off (even though the Manual asks you to switch it ON). Found it through trial and error but then later realised it was posted on Cartri's site ages ago :wacko:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;st=980

Well, my Ethernet does show up in system profiler and everything seems to work, even can tell when its unplugged. However, the moment it goes to get and ip address from DCHP it self-assigns. I doubt its my router since every other pc works on every port. I even tried plugging the card straight into the cable modem- nada. I've tried other ionetworkfamily kexts as well as the realtekr1000 kext. Nothing is working!

I'm thinking about just getting a wireless n card. Any suggestions that aren't outrageous? It's hard to find any good HCL's that aren't two or three years old...

Well, my Ethernet does show up in system profiler and everything seems to work, even can tell when its unplugged. However, the moment it goes to get and ip address from DCHP it self-assigns. I doubt its my router since every other pc works on every port. I even tried plugging the card straight into the cable modem- nada. I've tried other ionetworkfamily kexts as well as the realtekr1000 kext. Nothing is working!

I'm thinking about just getting a wireless n card. Any suggestions that aren't outrageous? It's hard to find any good HCL's that aren't two or three years old...

I was looking into Mac compatible NICs and came across this site www.sonnettech.com

They have wireless cards too. Check it out.

Have you tried using the regular ionetworkingfamily kexts along with the unmodified RTL8169?

I've tried the unmodified RTL8169 and still got no where. I've read that some people had to boot back into their windows partition and I guess release the IP address and then it was working. However the bios update broke my Windows 7 install.

I'm in the process of installing 7 on one drive and seeing if the card still works. I'm guessing it might be a combination of some sort of hardware that's causing cartris bios to not function properly.

All this run around just to try and get OSX working. Again. Makes me appreciate my MBP now...

I've tried the unmodified RTL8169 and still got no where. I've read that some people had to boot back into their windows partition and I guess release the IP address and then it was working. However the bios update broke my Windows 7 install.

I'm in the process of installing 7 on one drive and seeing if the card still works. I'm guessing it might be a combination of some sort of hardware that's causing cartris bios to not function properly.

All this run around just to try and get OSX working. Again. Makes me appreciate my MBP now...

Do you run 64bit or 32bit?

If 32bit, can you try installing the latest 'official' Realtek drivers? I had a similar problem once and this is what fixed the problem.

32 bit. I tried the realtek update but it only made my driver disappear. I've tried multiple drivers and nothing is copacetic. I'm re-flashing my bios to see if F12 fixes it as I've read elsewhere people were having problems also.

I'll report back my findings. And thanks for the help guys

Well, flashed F12 bios- still self-assigned, flashed F11- same result. Used older versions of Chameleon- same. I've used Realtek1000, Realtek1000SL, Realtek's own drivers, the standard Realtek drivers in IONetworkingfamily. Nothing on them at all.

I'm installing a fresh OS X copy on a spare drive to see if that will work. If not I really don't know what else to do. At the bios level I've tried changing thing and that didn't work- if a new copy of OS X doesn't work then what else is there!

Just to list it, I have the EP45-UD3R V1.1 with Green LAN DISABLED and using OS 10.6.4. Cartri's bios was what originally started the problem. Thank God for my MBP.

UPDATE: Brand spanking new OS X copy still is having the self-assigned ip address. I'm at my wits end.

Well, flashed F12 bios- still self-assigned, flashed F11- same result. Used older versions of Chameleon- same. I've used Realtek1000, Realtek1000SL, Realtek's own drivers, the standard Realtek drivers in IONetworkingfamily. Nothing on them at all.

I'm installing a fresh OS X copy on a spare drive to see if that will work. If not I really don't know what else to do. At the bios level I've tried changing thing and that didn't work- if a new copy of OS X doesn't work then what else is there!

Just to list it, I have the EP45-UD3R V1.1 with Green LAN DISABLED and using OS 10.6.4. Cartri's bios was what originally started the problem. Thank God for my MBP.

Weird. I remember having the same problem (way before Cartri) and I think it was because I used the 'Flush DNS Cache' option with 'Main Menu'. Nothing I did got it to work. Finally installed the latest official Realtek driver and that worked.

Have you tried booting in 64bit mode? You might also want to run 'pfix' (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/06/pfix-v3-1-released/) and see if that helps.

UPDATE: Brand spanking new OS X copy still is having the self-assigned ip address. I'm at my wits end.

Try installing this:

SnowR1000.zip

I had the same problem, and this helped. Don't know why really, but anyway, happy it works again.

-xopher

Try installing this:

SnowR1000.zip

I had the same problem, and this helped. Don't know why really, but anyway, happy it works again.

-xopher

I'm pretty sure I've tried this, but upon doing so again I FINALLY have my ethernet functioning properly. I also tried the pfix mention above as well- that may have been it too as I did both at the same time (not very smart of me...)

I'm also now using Cartri's bios and EVERYTHING is working smooth with only 3 kext files and that's it! Gotta love this community!

NOTE: I also disabled the LAN BOOT ROM in bios as well as disabled GREEN LAN if someone else ever has the same problems. Cheers.

I also tried the pfix mention above as well

Please make sure you repair permissions with Disk Utility as well. pfix sorts out kext permissions but I don't think they are sorted out ideally for Snow Leopard.

Please make sure you repair permissions with Disk Utility as well. pfix sorts out kext permissions but I don't think they are sorted out ideally for Snow Leopard.

Using Cartri's BIOS v0.8 right now, and noticed I still had the RealtekR1000.kext installed in S/L/E, so tried to remove it, and voilà, broken ethernet again, so I had to put it back. Is there a vanilla RealtekR1000.kext? Because I didn't have a backup.

Thanks

Edit: Anyway, Cartri says that he's working on this, and it will probably be fixed in a future release.