[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

hey blackosx, i seem to recall that the previous changes to the boot file was only for the EP45-DS3L.

Is this new one the same case, only for the ep45? I am running your guide on the p35-ds3l. Pretty stable but always like like upgrades.

It's a modified Chameleon RC4 bootloader. So if you currently use Chameleon then it will work yes.

It's a modified Chameleon RC4 bootloader. So if you currently use Chameleon then it will work yes.

Thanks for all your hard work, Black. I'd be in a heap of hurt without it.

To chime in on this one, I'm also running the p35-ds3l and any version of RC4 I try gives me a KP or a CMOS reset depending on my DSDT. It's really weird. I've checked and checked to make sure the proper RTC fix is in there, but I get the reset anyway.

I've spent some days editing/compiling DSDTs (thanks to your guide and the Gigabyte fix thread) but I can't find an answer to it. I'm certainly no DSDT wiz, so I'm sure it's a mistake in my coding.

The best I can do with RC4 is a broken Restart and Sleep not waking on mouse/KB & the CMOS reset. (I've used the boot.plist restart fix commands & graphics enabler to no avail)

I'm currently using iSoprano's #5 DSDT (modified a bit for my equipment) and RC3 with very stable results. Restart/Sleep/Graphics work great. Kexts: Disabler (mouse lag), FakeSmc, OpenHaltRetart & Platform UUID

So, I can't really complain. Just a bit concerned about getting left behind and future updates borking my system.

I wish I could contribute more. The one tip that's helped me a lot is installing a stable Cham to a little USB thumb drive so when things go bad I can always boot 'er up again.

System: P35-DS3L, intel e8400 Wolfdale, 4GB DDR2 800, N9800 GT NVIDIA

Actually you said here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1364166 that you could only use dual300 restart fix if you were running the ep board.

Is this still true do you have to have the ep45 for the newest mod to the boot file? And we no longer need any restart kext?

Actually you said here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1364166 that you could only use dual300 restart fix if you were running the ep board.

Is this still true do you have to have the ep45 for the newest mod to the boot file? And we no longer need any restart kext?

That was true for that post as that was when Duvel300 first released the patch which needed the FADT.aml but as time has moved on the patch no longer needs the FADT.aml. You can find out more by reading from Duvel300's post on the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread. Follow the thread through from there and you'll find what you need.

System: P35-DS3L, intel e8400 Wolfdale, 4GB DDR2 800, N9800 GT NVIDIA

I have the same system except i have a gtx 260. But i have e8400.

Im gonna try this new boot on my thumbdrive to see how it goes.

Thanks for all your hard work, Black. I'd be in a heap of hurt without it.

To chime in on this one, I'm also running the p35-ds3l and any version of RC4 I try gives me a KP or a CMOS reset depending on my DSDT. It's really weird. I've checked and checked to make sure the proper RTC fix is in there, but I get the reset anyway.

I don't know exactly about the P35-DS3L, but your DSDT shouldn't affect Chameleon RC4 working, if RC3 works without problem.

Im gonna try this new boot on my thumbdrive to see how it goes.

Best way to trial it. Good thinking ;)

The boot0 isnt modified is it? From the asere package

Didnt work for me,wont even boot. I think because im using DSDT graphics and this seems to try to inject strings?

You need to replace boot0, boot1h and boot as I said in my post.

The fact that you have your video patched in to DSDT shouldn't matter.

You need to replace boot0, boot1h and boot as I said in my post.

The fact that you have your video patched in to DSDT shouldn't matter.

Yeah i followed your instructions. But just wanted to know ifthe boot0 is a modified version.

Yeah i followed your instructions. But just wanted to know ifthe boot0 is a modified version.

I don't think so, but I can't be 100% sure, but I think he wanted to make sure we're using the latest versions.

To quote Asere from his original post on EFI-X forum

You should also update boot0 (with fdisk) and boot1h with (dd), because the Chameleon team fixed some bugs there.

So it's worth doing it anyhow.

I don't think so, but I can't be 100% sure, but I think he wanted to make sure we're using the latest versions.

To quote Asere from his original post on EFI-X forum

So it's worth doing it anyhow.

Yeah i agree you should cover all your basis. Wonder why its not working for me. The resolution isnt being set on boot for some reason. Is that still defined by

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

What is the patch file for? Maybe thats my issue i dont know what to do with AsereBLN_Booter_v1.1.2.patch

BlackOSX,

For rest of the files like boot0, boot1f32, boot1h, boot1he, boot1hp, cdboot, chain0... Do I just copy all the files to the Cham partition like i did with "boot" file? (Terminal cp -f filename destination)

thanks.

He posted directions here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1379649

BlackOSX,

For rest of the files like boot0, boot1f32, boot1h, boot1he, boot1hp, cdboot, chain0... Do I just copy all the files to the Cham partition like i did with "boot" file? (Terminal cp -f filename destination)

thanks.

Is this for Asere's bootloader?

For our Cham partition we only need boot0, boot1h and boot.

The they need to be installed as i detailed here

We don't need the other files which you find in the original Chameleon RC4 binary files.

keypox,

Those files aren't in the revised package, but the official RC4 release.

I installed RC2 with a installer and replaced only RC4 Boot, but do i need to replace the other files I have mentioned?

I see now.

The original RC2 installer did install boot1h and boot0 but you just don't see them.

Here's a preview of pages 1-3 from my revised guide, the 'installing Chameleon Bootloader' section. It basically covers what I have said in this thread but note that it's not finished yet and might well change, but it hopefully gives some details.

EDIT: I have moved this file to the front page under the Files Section

Yeah i agree you should cover all your basis. Wonder why its not working for me. The resolution isnt being set on boot for some reason. Is that still defined by

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

What is the patch file for? Maybe thats my issue i dont know what to do with AsereBLN_Booter_v1.1.2.patch

Yes, I still use the following in my com.apple.Boot.plist for resolution.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

The patch file is a DIFF result which shows what changes Asere has made to the source files against the original Chameleon files. Nothing for us to worry about.

Hi Blackosx,

Can I ask what kexts you are using now to boot your snow install?

Also, on the note of DSDT, ive been thinking. It would be good to compile a library of patched dsdts that contain fixes ONLY for built in hardware on your motherboard. That way they can be distributed as is and people can use them. I feel that the dsdt should only have fixes for the built in hardware and either use kexts to fix other problems or alternatively, it would be nice if you could include a basic dsdt to fix your built in hardware, and a custom dsdt to fix graphics for instance both within the extras folder (obv cham would need to support this, but its an idea). What are your thoughts?

Oli

Hi Blackosx,

Can I ask what kexts you are using now to boot your snow install?

Also, on the note of DSDT, ive been thinking. It would be good to compile a library of patched dsdts that contain fixes ONLY for built in hardware on your motherboard. That way they can be distributed as is and people can use them. I feel that the dsdt should only have fixes for the built in hardware and either use kexts to fix other problems or alternatively, it would be nice if you could include a basic dsdt to fix your built in hardware, and a custom dsdt to fix graphics for instance both within the extras folder (obv cham would need to support this, but its an idea). What are your thoughts?

Oli

Hi Oli

I am currently using fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext and finally Disabler.kext which is just for the QuickTime mouse lag bug with my 8800GT.

Here's a preview of another section from my revised guide 'Configuring for the GA-EP45-DS3L'. It hopefully brings up to date what's needed with regard to kexts etc.. It's nearly finished with a couple of edits still needed so it's not the final version. But it might help.

EDIT: I have moved this file to the front page under the Files Section

The DSDT I have supplied in the latest support files (v2.4.1) is the latest version for our motherboard. It is generic and doesn't include video and it will work for your default on-board hardware. I use Chameleon's auto device-injection for my video card now. Thanks to mm67 for his DSDT that this is based on and it includes mm67's Shutdown fix.

It doesn't include any speedstep information so you will need to run NullIntelCPUPowermanangement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext.

After looking at a few original Gigabyte DSDT's, it has been confirmed this is identical for GA-EP43-DS3L and GA-EP45-UD3L too.

I have been trying to put together a revised guide and to be honest it's been quite difficult with all the changes and more recently the modified bootloaders. To help myself keep them up to date more frequently, I have broken the guide down in to sections. In some places the content isn't much different from the previous guide, but elsewhere there is more recent info and new stuff. It's not finished yet but there are now 6 sections posted to the front page and I would appreciate any feedback if anybody wants to have a look at them?

I will post any updates when I can.

Regards

blackosx

Hi Blackosx,

To throw this into the mix, might it be an idea to add the guide to the wiki, perhaps have a guides section in there for different hardware?

Would allow others to contribute then.

Oli

I'm all ears :P

I like the sound of that.. How exactly would it work, create a new section in the wiki? as there is already an installation guides link but they just point to the existing url's. Could be the next step forward for documenting an up to date install?

Yeah,

What id like to see ideally is the following:

An installation guide section in the wiki, broken down as follows:

Desktops > Motherboards > Manufacturer > Model

> Complete computers > Manufacturer > Model

Laptops > Manufacturer > Model

Add-in cards > Type (gfx, network, firewire etc) > Manufacturer > Chipset

Each of these could contain a guide about how to install that specific bit of hardware. Ideally with the newest kexts attached to the wiki (dunno if you can do that).

Might also be a good idea to create a standard format for these guides so that they're all laid out the same.

It would be great to have a 1 stop place for all you need to know about the EP45 for example, with the associated kexts you need for version 10.X.X, and as stuff changes when apple releases updates, the guides get updated, rather than having to trawl through forum posts over several months of a conversation with all the other irrelevant info in there too.

What are your throughts?

Oli

Yeah,

What id like to see ideally is the following:

An installation guide section in the wiki, broken down as follows:

Desktops > Motherboards > Manufacturer > Model

> Complete computers > Manufacturer > Model

Laptops > Manufacturer > Model

Add-in cards > Type (gfx, network, firewire etc) > Manufacturer > Chipset

Each of these could contain a guide about how to install that specific bit of hardware. Ideally with the newest kexts attached to the wiki (dunno if you can do that).

Might also be a good idea to create a standard format for these guides so that they're all laid out the same.

It would be great to have a 1 stop place for all you need to know about the EP45 for example, with the associated kexts you need for version 10.X.X, and as stuff changes when apple releases updates, the guides get updated, rather than having to trawl through forum posts over several months of a conversation with all the other irrelevant info in there too.

What are your throughts?

Oli

And what do you think of the current wiki?

For instance here's the 10.6.0 section which already contains a lot of that information, in a structured manor and maintained by users. It might not be exactly in the format you want, but the info is there.

Problem is,

The install guides are all part of the forum, which often makes finding what youre after rather difficult.

If we had install guides, that are all formatted the same, eg.

About

Pre-requisites

Intro

Pre-install checks

Bios settings

Installer boot

Installer config

Post install steps

First boot

Mac Setup

Post setup steps

Additional Info

Files:

Kexts

Kexts

Kexts

DSDT.aml/.dsl

SMBIOS

Kind of like how you format yours, it would make like alot easier for anyone new to the scene. There is a very large learning curve here, and until someone can come up with an automated installer that can detect your hardware and make all the necessary changes that need making automatically etc, then making life easier for doing it manually is a good thing, no?

Oli

Yes, I agree that when approaching OSX86 for the first time, it's can be very overwhelming and you are absolutely right in that it would make installation for different hardware far simpler. But there would be a tremendous amount of duplication if there was a complete guide for each system.

When I was thinking about structuring my revised guide, I intentionally made 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L' a separate section with the idea that this part can easily be amended/re-written for a different system.

I like to be positive towards change and as long as you know that what you ask for would be a huge undertaking as there are so many variables and of course many users across different forums, not just Insanely. But if something is wanted then there's no reason it can't be done though it would need a lot of planning, thought, time and the vote of everybody else to use it.

As for an automated installer, EmpireEFI aims to offer an installation CD to suit a wide range of systems and I think I read the other day that prasys had released a newer version?

So when are you starting this project? ;)

Haha,

Well, i dont think im quite knowledgeable on all this to be able to start something, I am however a good web developer so getting something setup technically that would do what we're thinking of wouldnt be too much of a challenge.

Have you seen the product selectors that hardware manufacturers use, like on the nvidia site, where you select an option and it filters a list of next available options and so on? It would be nice to have something like that.

I think perhaps a system where you can select a "How to install OSX 10.X", then select your hardware from a list like the above thing i mentioned, that then pulls through a generic how to install os x guide and slots in the hardware specific parts of the guide would be a good idea. So bios settings, post install, bonjour config etc are all merged with a generic guide.

This would avoid duplication of content for the generic bits.

There also needs to be a glossary that explains the terms like kext, kernel, dsdt, mkext etc, for the real noobs.

And ive said before, that a kext database would be brilliant as half of the kexts im using i have no idea what they do or if i need them.

Regarding the automated installed i think they should come in 3 flavours.

1. A preboot enviroment that is used to install os x.

2. A post install application that either detects, or you select your hardware, and click go, and it installs cham, your kexts, the dsdt for your board etc.

3. A post apple updater (or even disabling the apple updater for os x updates and using this app to do them) that will run cleanup operations after doing an upgrade that will perform known fixes (like the sleepenabler issue with 10.6.2).

Now all this is purely speculative but in an "ideal world" type scenario. There was an app like no 3 above for the EP35-DS3 board that pcwiz made for 10.5 which was cool, except it modded s/l/e but it did work well.

I like what you're saying about having part 4 of your guide for the ep45 only, good idea.

Thoughts?

Haha,

Well, i dont think im quite knowledgeable on all this to be able to start something.

No problems

I am however a good web developer so getting something setup technically that would do what we're thinking of wouldnt be too much of a challenge.

That's good.

Have you seen the product selectors that hardware manufacturers use, like on the nvidia site, where you select an option and it filters a list of next available options and so on? It would be nice to have something like that.

I think perhaps a system where you can select a "How to install OSX 10.X", then select your hardware from a list like the above thing i mentioned, that then pulls through a generic how to install os x guide and slots in the hardware specific parts of the guide would be a good idea. So bios settings, post install, bonjour config etc are all merged with a generic guide.

This would avoid duplication of content for the generic bits.

There also needs to be a glossary that explains the terms like kext, kernel, dsdt, mkext etc, for the real noobs.

I know exactly what you mean. I like it :thumbsup_anim:

And ive said before, that a kext database would be brilliant as half of the kexts im using i have no idea what they do or if i need them.

I can help with some, but once it's up and running the community can fill in the blanks etc.

Regarding the automated installed i think they should come in 3 flavours.

1. A preboot enviroment that is used to install os x.

2. A post install application that either detects, or you select your hardware, and click go, and it installs cham, your kexts, the dsdt for your board etc.

3. A post apple updater (or even disabling the apple updater for os x updates and using this app to do them) that will run cleanup operations after doing an upgrade that will perform known fixes (like the sleepenabler issue with 10.6.2).

Now all this is purely speculative but in an "ideal world" type scenario. There was an app like no 3 above for the EP35-DS3 board that pcwiz made for 10.5 which was cool, except it modded s/l/e but it did work well.

That should be discussed separately as that's more specialised.

I like what you're saying about having part 4 of your guide for the ep45 only, good idea.

Thoughts?

Yeah.. that would tie in with this large project.

But overall, I like it and think it's do-able. :)

Who would host the site and how would it be paid for?

Maybe we could ask the moderators if they would allow this database on their servers and link it in with this Forum?