[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

This DSDT doesn't have anything to do with the one we are using. It looks like some kind of a mixup of vanilla Gigabyte and MC's Asus DSDT and it has a lot of code that is useless on GB boards.

Firewire doesn't need any code in dsdt to work and adding PS2 support back shouldn't be too difficult, it just requires adding a couple of hundreds lines of code back to DSDT.

Those P-states don't look right, I have never seen VID values being so close to each other, on my Q9550 PSS table values go from 0x616 to 0x4820.

Hi, can you post your DSDT? i have the same processor and i would love to see your speedstep configuration, my mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L should my dsdt be different from yours?

Hi, can you post your DSDT? i have the same processor and i would love to see your speedstep configuration, my mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L should my dsdt be different from yours?

I'm using something like this: dsdt_cut.dsl.zip

You can use my scope PR as a model but you should get the rest of dsdt from this thread's model's, my UD3 dsdt has some differences with DS3L dsdt.

Hi, I have q9550 as well, I have just looked under system profiler and ran geekbench, both indicate that the CPU is running at 2.67GHz.

I just done the installation 2 days ago, so my cham is up to date (2010-01-10).

this whole dsdt, cham setup, and whatever that add to the completion of my snow is very foreign to me, it was monkey see, monkey do for me, but I hope I can help in any way

Edit: I just updated my dsdt file, replacing scope PR from mm67, and I still have 2.67GHz showing both in about this mac and in geekbench.

Ok i implemented mm67 cpu scope with Blackosx dsdt with included firewire, everything looks ok

BUT the hard disk icons are now YELLOW

those are my kext in chamaleon:

Disabler (for my g9800 GT)

EvOreboot

fakesmc (2.5)

LegacyHDA

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

Vodoomonitor (BTW this one never installs i don tknow why, i can't monitor my speedstep, i just feel it for the temperature and the cpu fan working)

Im using lates netkast PCEFI 10.5

this is the resulting dsdt

dsdt.aml.zip

First post here,

I'd like to say thanks to Blackosx and the community for the information to get my hackintosh up and running. I successfully installed Snow Leopard yesterday and attempted to install Windows 7 on a separate partition. Windows 7 works fine but now when I boot, it requires the Boot CD or else I get a "Missing operating system" error and now my Snow Leopard partition will only display in 1024x768 (it was originally 1680x1050 before installing Windows 7).

I'm a complete newcomer to the Hackintosh scene, so I'm open to learning anything.

EDIT: I went over your guide again and read Part 3 and basically repeated the steps involving the Support Files and now the Chameleon appears when I boot w/o the Boot CD and it now boots up into 1680x1050, now to find a way to have it stop at the Chameleon screen to prompt to choose between Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

I really didn't want to start over, installing Logic Studio takes forever.

EDIT: Awesome, I downloaded the dual booting guide from the first page and am getting the same error when I choose Windows 7 in Chameleon, looks like I have a road map to follow. Hopefully everything turns out fine.

Firewire doesn't need any code in dsdt to work and adding PS2 support back shouldn't be too difficult, it just requires adding a couple of hundreds lines of code back to DSDT.

I guess that shows how much i don't know... :P

Edit: I just updated my dsdt file, replacing scope PR from mm67, and I still have 2.67GHz showing both in about this mac and in geekbench.

The CPU detection is done by DigitaDJ's code in Chameleon RC4, not DSDT.

@xAberracus - This might work for you too.

Have a look in your SMBIOS.plist and see if you have

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>2666</string>

If so, either change the value to the speed of your CPU or try booting your machine with this key/string removed.

Ok i implemented mm67 cpu scope with Blackosx dsdt with included firewire, everything looks ok

BUT the hard disk icons are now YELLOW

those are my kext in chamaleon:

Disabler (for my g9800 GT)

EvOreboot

fakesmc (2.5)

LegacyHDA

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

Vodoomonitor (BTW this one never installs i don tknow why, i can't monitor my speedstep, i just feel it for the temperature and the cpu fan working)

I read you posted above that you have the GA-EP45-DS3L - Can you create a quick signature so I can easily tell what hardware you have without searching for it? (Same of anybody here without a signature).

Have a look at my 'Part 4' or my recent PDF guides I have posted to the front page to see what kexts you can use now. This will also answer your orange icon issue, as Chynaman has also posted (thanks for pitching in).

NOTE: Just a quick note for everyone, 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L' is now at version 1.01 with a couple of slight amends.

EDIT: Awesome, I downloaded the dual booting guide from the first page and am getting the same error when I choose Windows 7 in Chameleon, looks like I have a road map to follow. Hopefully everything turns out fine.

Well done so far menikmati. The dual boot guide is old now, but it should still have the relevant information you need to set your cham partition back to active.

.....now to find a way to have it stop at the Chameleon screen to prompt to choose between Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

I cover some of the simple bootloader options in 'Part 5' of this guide (but it's not ready to be uploaded yet).

But for this you need to add the following key/string to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I cover some of the simple bootloader options in 'Part 5' of this guide (but it's not ready to be uploaded yet).

But for this you need to add the following key/string to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Thanks, I'll make sure to try this out in the morning.

I followed your dual boot guide and now have a successful SL and Win7 dual boot.

One problem though, I use a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ USB sound card and cannot get it to be noticed. I've installed the drivers off of the CD that came with the sound card the exact same way on my laptop and yet it does not show in the preference pane when I plug it in. I've tried all the USB ports and with a powered USB hub to no avail. I compared the readings in System Profiler between my MacBook and Hackintosh and everything matches except:

MacBook

"Current Required (mA): 270"

Hackintosh

"Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)"

I'm still scratching my head at trying to get this to work. I've plugged in an external USB hard drive and that worked immediately.

I followed your dual boot guide and now have a successful SL and Win7 dual boot.

One problem though, I use a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ USB sound card and cannot get it to be noticed. I've installed the drivers off of the CD that came with the sound card the exact same way on my laptop and yet it does not show in the preference pane when I plug it in. I've tried all the USB ports and with a powered USB hub to no avail. I compared the readings in System Profiler and everything matches except:

I'm still scratching my head at trying to get this to work. I've plugged in an external USB hard drive and that worked immediately.

Congratulations with the install. That's really all this guide sets out to do.

And now you have your install up and running, it's going to need some research to get extra hardware running. I really can't be sure as to why your sound card won't work and am sorry I can't help you more here. You have tested the USB works with your external HDD, so if somebody else here can shed some light on this for you then great, if not you might be better searching for someone with the sound card.

Congratulations with the install. That's really all this guide sets out to do.

And now you have your install up and running, it's going to need some research to get extra hardware running. I really can't be sure as to why your sound card won't work and am sorry I can't help you more here. You have tested the USB works with your external HDD, so if somebody else here can shed some light on this for you then great, if not you might be better searching for someone with the sound card.

Alright, looks like I have some hunting around to do. It might be a little difficult since the sound card isn't really that popular and it came out in September of last year, but it doesn't hurt to try.

One problem though, I use a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ USB sound card and cannot get it to be noticed. I've installed the drivers off of the CD that came with the sound card the exact same way on my laptop and yet it does not show in the preference pane when I plug it in. I've tried all the USB ports and with a powered USB hub to no avail. I compared the readings in System Profiler between my MacBook and Hackintosh and everything matches except:

MacBook

"Current Required (mA): 270"

Hackintosh

Try this. Boot with USB audio disconnected, put system to sleep, wake up and connect USB audio card. Does it work then ?

Try this. Boot with USB audio disconnected, put system to sleep, wake up and connect USB audio card. Does it work then ?

Hi mm67 - Thanks for staying alert to this thread and offering your advanced support. :(

I remember reading about an issue with current in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread. Is this similar to the Aluminium keyboard issue which you fixed in your DSDT?

Hi mm67 - Thanks for staying alert to this thread and offering your advanced support. :(

I remember reading about an issue with current in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread. Is this similar to the Aluminium keyboard issue which you fixed in your DSDT?

Yes, I think this is the same issue again. Changing these under Ehci devices:

OperationRegion (PWRC, PCI_Config, 0x52, 0x2F)
               Field (PWRC, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                       ,   11, 
                   PMES,   5, 
                           Offset (0x2E), 
                   WRTA,   1
               }

into these:

OperationRegion (PWRC, PCI_Config, 0x52, 0x2F)
               Field (PWRC, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   PMES,   16, 
                           Offset (0x2E), 
                   WRTA,   1
               }

and using INI method like this:

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Store (One, ^PCI0.EHC1.WRTA)
           Store (0xC2C9, ^PCI0.EHC1.PMES)
           Store (One, ^PCI0.EHC2.WRTA)
           Store (0xC2C9, ^PCI0.EHC2.PMES)
       }

should take care of that power problem.

Changing these under Ehci devices:

..... /snip/ .....

should take care of that power problem.

Thanks mm67 :D

@ menikmati - I have taken mm67's recommendations and amended the DSDT from here.

File removed: Revised file posted below.

Can you try it and see if it works for you?

Note: I am at work at the moment and not on my hack. therefore, this has not been tested.

Thanks mm67 :D

@ menikmati - I have taken mm67's recommendations and amended the DSDT from here.

Can you try it and see if it works for you?

Note: I am at work at the moment and not on my hack. therefore, this has not been tested.

You need to change both EHC1 and EHC2 devices or only six USB ports have that power fix.

You need to change both EHC1 and EHC2 devices or only six USB ports have that power fix.

Thanks mm67.

That'll teach me to do this when busy at work...

@ menikmati

Sorry about my error - can you try this one (I will remove the previous one).

File removed: Revised file posted here.

GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_with_Power_Fix___Revised.zip

Hello everyone.. I Just tried this out on my board last night, and everything went as planned.. no KP except when I ran the 10.6.2 update and didn't update some Kexts before hand. However I still haven't had luck in getting my Linksys 300N PCI wireless card to work, and my 8800GT card I don't think is running at its fullest potential. I haven't given up yet, and still have lots of threads to go through, but I wanted to say Great guide.. Thanks alot!

Hello everyone.. I Just tried this out on my board last night, and everything went as planned.. no KP except when I ran the 10.6.2 update and didn't update some Kexts before hand. However I still haven't had luck in getting my Linksys 300N PCI wireless card to work, and my 8800GT card I don't think is running at its fullest potential. I haven't given up yet, and still have lots of threads to go through, but I wanted to say Great guide.. Thanks alot!

Well done with the install.

Quick question: Did you use the revised PDF guides, or the old one?

Thanks mm67.

That'll teach me to do this when busy at work...

@ menikmati

Sorry about my error - can you try this one (I will remove the previous one).

GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_with_Power_Fix___Revised.zip

Maybe next you can fix my typo :D INI should be like this:

{
           Store (0xC9C2, ^PCI0.EHC1.PMES)
           Store (0xC9C2, ^PCI0.EHC2.PMES)
       }

Done. :)

@ menikmati

Can you try this one (I will remove the previous one).

Had to make one more change to method INI, without this one bit wouldn't get set on my board. You can check if you need this by running sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w right after boot. If result is already C9C2 then you don't need this change, on my board result is C8C2 which means that bit 8 doesn't get set. Modified INI looks like this.

{
           Sleep (0x5)
           Store (0xC9C2, ^PCI0.EHC1.PMES)
           Store (0xC9C2, ^PCI0.EHC2.PMES)
       }

Had to make one more change to method INI, without this one bit wouldn't get set on my board. You can check if you need this by running sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w right after boot. If result is already C9C2 then you don't need this change, on my board result is C8C2 which means that bit 8 doesn't get set.

Okay. Thanks for double checking.

As it is, I don't think menikmati has been back yet to try it..

I will test it when I get back on my hack this evening and post a revised DSDT if it's needed.

Hi Blackosx, after reading the 4 pdf, and implementing it, i have correct icons now for my hard disks, everything look cool, my firewire card now looks good on the system profiler and can recognize a hard disk when i plug it, BUT it doesn't show in finder and after some time my computer hangs, really no the hack just the USB ports, is there something wrong with the dsml with firewire enabled?

BTW Blackosx, im using you latests DSML, " GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_with_Power_Fix___v3.zip " modified with my cpu details as recommended by mm6.

I followed your recomendations and implemented the smbios.plist with the correct speed of my procesor and FSB, i put this:

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2833</string>

note the SMexternalcock its supposed to be the FSB so iput there the FSB of my q9550, i am ok with that? BTW my system now says 2.83 ghz, so this is the solution for the 2.67 ghz in about this mac.

MM67 please can you post your full dsml , i have a GA-EP45UD3L with another Q9550 and will love to use your DSML if its possible.

Thanks

Had to make one more change to method INI, without this one bit wouldn't get set on my board. You can check if you need this by running sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w right after boot. If result is already C9C2 then you don't need this change, on my board result is C8C2 which means that bit 8 doesn't get set.....

mm67,

When I run sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w on EX38-DS4 the results are c802. Is this OK or do I need to change the ini?

Thanks!

MM67 please can you post your full dsml , i have a GA-EP45UD3L with another Q9550 and will love to use your DSML if its possible.

Thanks

If by full you mean my original unmodified DSDT then this is it: DSDT_r1_GBT_GBTUACPI_1000_MSFT_100000C.dsl.zip

You should run diff on both unmodified DSDT files, then you know what parts of my modified DSDT have to be changed for UD3L

mm67,

When I run sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w on EX38-DS4 the results are c802. Is this OK or do I need to change the ini?

Thanks!

That's ok if you don't have some device that checks USB port's power capabilities, but it won't do any harm if you use that new patch anyway.