[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

i want all you guys to check your processors after every restart. Mine runs at 2.56 for half the time and 1.2 (minimum) for the other half. I cannot figure out why anymore. It's driving me insane. I cant be the only one with this problem. I bet alot of you guys have it but dont notice. do a Cpu-x after every reboot, and see what results u get. Also, voodoopowermini.kext doesnt work on my d630 either...

Hey! Baltic I notice that on my system as well are here my spec:

D630 nVidia quadro NVS 135m CPU 1.8ghz original

with DSDT : first boot CPU reading: 1.6ghz

dropping down to 1.07ghz it is really off.

Hey! Baltic I notice that on my system as well are here my spec:

D630 nVidia quadro NVS 135m CPU 1.8ghz original

with DSDT : first boot CPU reading: 1.6ghz

dropping down to 1.07ghz it is really off.

I have a D630 with the X3100. When I run processor intensive task, I max out at 10X - 2.02 GHz, even though in XP, I get 11X or 2.2 GHz. Not that big of a deal. I get better Open GL frame rates under SL than XP Pro.

So, anyone update their D630s to 10.6.3?

Reporting from my Dell D620 with OS X 10.6.3!

Everything seems to be working okay. Also the update fixed my usb dongle wake problem. When i waked the computer the darn thing wouldnt work unless id remove it and put it back. Now everything is okay!

M.

Did you do anything special or simply download - install/run - reboot? 10.6.2 is running fine for me. I'll update to 10.6.3 if there are no tricks.

I just updated and everything seemed normal at first. Thing looks like Quartz is disabled. I went into the system info and sure enough it's not listed. The wierdest thing is after the update it thinks my video card is NVidia which it's not. I have the GMA950.

I don't know how to get out of this without a complete screwing up of my install (it was running so nice).

Ideas?

Dell D420

Removed NullCPUPowermangement and SleepEnabler - rebuilt kext cache and installed 10.6.3 with no fuzz

Hello Lutin.

Can you tell me which kexts are you using? Do you have PCMCIA, cardreader and sleep working on D420?

Same problem with video card confusion at my D420. :)

Thanks a lot,

Simon

New progress made. I tried removing certain .kexts from the /S/L/E folder and also from a /Extra/Extentions folder that I have due to this installation. None of them made a difference until I put them all back to try and get it working to the point it was before (both internal and external monitors working, no QE).

Well now I have all QE working (I don't know how), but only the external screen works. I can't get the build in display to detect. I am baffled :P

Again, looking for ideas.

New progress made. I tried removing certain .kexts from the /S/L/E folder and also from a /Extra/Extentions folder that I have due to this installation. None of them made a difference until I put them all back to try and get it working to the point it was before (both internal and external monitors working, no QE).

Well now I have all QE working (I don't know how), but only the external screen works. I can't get the build in display to detect. I am baffled :D

Again, looking for ideas.

Uh-oh! Starting to talk to myself! After doing a rebuild_mkext I am back to the same issue as before. 2 screens (Both internal and external work) but no QE. Also listed as an Nvidia card again.

D620 GMA950 update to 10.6.3 no QE, so went back to 10.6.2

Tried for a few hours with all the gma950 hacks out there, but nothing seemed to work. Sometimes no internal display, sometimes no kext loaded for graphics, so not sure. All this is in 32bit mode since I need built in ethernet to work. Tried in 64bit mode but no luck with the display, and built in ethernet did not work then. :P Maybe a good DSDT would fix it? Haven't had the chance to learn about the internals of DSDT.

by the way, anyone have the prefpane for Chameleon. One of the other installer packages had a pref pane for it, but I can't find it anywhere now.

What kinds system do you have? is it an nvidia or intel gpu? Any idea regarding USB and SATA fixes for 10.6.3?

NOTE: THIS IS FOR A10 D620 BIOS!!!

OK, decided to give DSDT patching a go...

Attached is a cleaned up dsdt.dsl and a patched dsdt.aml & .dsl. I used DSDTse to edit and compile; all the hacks are from that tool. Errors/Warnings were fixed mostly from DSDTse & Ubuntu forums instructions. So, I've installed the patched aml and will start to remove kexts from /extra. If I don't post for a while... it's bit me on my arse.

First of all.

Arsecustard, why do we have 2 RTCs? argh, Dell!

Device (RTC)
			 {
				 Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				 Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
				 {
					 IO (Decode16,
						 0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						 0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						 0x10,			   // Alignment
						 0x02,			   // Length
						 )
					 IO (Decode16,
						 0x0072,			 // Range Minimum
						 0x0072,			 // Range Maximum
						 0x02,			   // Alignment
						 0x06,			   // Length
						 )
				 })
				 Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				 {
					 Return (RT)

Maybe they know http://bbs.pcbeta.com/archiver/tid-586045.html ?

Here are the edits and their descriptions as taken from the DSDTSE hack files:

RTC fix.

Consists in eliminating all the IRQs from RTC.

original code:

Device (RTC)
{
 Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
 {
	 IO (Decode16,
		 0x01,			   // Alignment
		 0x08,			   // Length
		 )
	 IRQNoFlags ()
		 {8}
 })
}

Clean Code:

Device (RTC)
{
 Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
 {
	 IO (Decode16,
		 0x01,			   // Alignment
		 0x08,			   // Length
		 )
 })
}

There must be no IRQ code left in RTC

HPET FIX

This fix allows us to load the driver Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, and in that way have the option to use the native speedstep available in osx

This is the HPET code from a Mac:

Device (HPET)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
				Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{0}
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{8}
					Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
						0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
						0x00000400,		 // Address Length
						_Y09)
				})

This is the HPET code from a PC:

Device (HPET)
{
 Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
 {
	 Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
		 _Y0F)
 })

We only have to add the "Irqnoflags" and that would fix it.

IRQNoFlags ()
	{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
	{8}

After adding "Irqnoflags", here is what it would look like on your DSDT:

Device (HPET)
{
 Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
 {
	IRQNoFlags ()
	   {0}
	IRQNoFlags ()
	   {8}
	 Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
		 _Y0F)
 })

On some machines, this hack enables sleep.

At the end of the _WAK method, this must be added:

Return (Package (0x02)
{
 Zero, 
 Zero
})

Example:

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
 {
	 P8XH (One, 0xAB)
	 If (LOr (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03), LEqual (Arg0, 0x04)))
	 {
		 If (And (CFGD, 0x01000000))
		 {
			 If (LAnd (And (CFGD, 0xF0), LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1)))
			 {
				 TRAP (0x3D)
			 }
		 }
	 }

If (LEqual (RP2D, Zero))
	 {
		 Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP02, Zero)
	 }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03)) {}
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
	 {
		 \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.SELE ()
	 }

P8XH (Zero, 0xCD)

Return (Package (0x02)
	 {
		 Zero, [b]#this was 0x00 in our BIOS[/b]
		 Zero [b]#this was 0x00 in our BIOS[/b]
	 })
 }

You must use the search feature to locate the _WAK section and add the hack

Final compile output

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090903 [sep 3 2009]

Copyright � 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

ASL Input: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 6350 lines, 226835 bytes, 1989 keywords

AML Output: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/./dsdt.aml - 19549 bytes, 662 named objects, 1327 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 673 Optimizations

Right, Tally Ho!!

Anyway, the aml file doesn't do any harm. I will see if it lets me remove some kexts from /e/e/ tomorrow.

I am still waiting for replay from leppy. Tried IOpcmciaFamily.kext which activates my umts pcmcia Card but sl stoped booting after loading this kext.so no real success.

I don't use such a card, but others have with mixed success. I think it depends on the OS X compatibility of the pcmcia device. That, and selecting the right driver. There was a discussion about this earlier in the thread where a couple people were using the slot successfully with a certain card.

anyone have a Generic DSDT for only a T9300 processor? I think my d630 is screwing up because it has the wrong p-states/c-states, and is defaulting and getting stuck at lowest processor state. I have no idea how to mess with DSDT files. Any help please? thanks!
My D630 is screwing up too, but I don't think it's related to the processor. I think I have a long way to go to fix the D630 DSDT. It's far more difficult than a D620.

Great work dude! everything is working great, i have the same system as you. Have you managed to get the pcmcia card slot working? and if i wanted to use a hacked SL install disc that permits MBR installs, can i still use your boot disc or would it need to be modified?
If it's a hacked retail disk - maybe. I have no way of knowing how a hacked disk would impact installation.

Hi,

I followed your instructions for my D420 and snow leopard. When I boot the chameleon cd and get the boot menu I then remove the chameleon cd and put in my snow leopard retail dvd. When I press enter to boot the install dvd I get a can't find mach_kernel error and get brought back to the chameleon boot screen. Any ideas on this issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

You have to get Chameleon to ready the boot dvd before you can boot to it. You can't just press enter after you swap in the boot DVD - that's not what the guide says. Try hitting F5 or F10 a couple of times to see if the OS X install DVD shows up on the chameleon menu. Then you boot that.

Not all of these have DVD players that work well with the install DVD. 2 out of 4 of mine do. In the event yours does not, you can backup the dvd to a USB flash drive and install with the flash drive in place of the DVD.

OK - 4 things. I'd like to add bluetooth. I know the little usb external ones usually work. I was wondering if anyone had installing an internal one to a D630.

My original Dell Bluetooth modules just work. I never had to do anything for those.

Perhaps with this kext?

Clamshell Sleep

I haven't tried it yet.

Didn't help me in any way in my testing.

I've tested sleepenabler on D420: Sleep works (only with keyboard shortcut or via menue not via lid) but it does not wake up again :D I checked all hints with BIOS: USB legacy off, USB Wake off, no passwords at all. Any tips or tricks?

I have a copy of a D420 DSDT is was going to patch and post for experiments. I've been extremely busy with other things lately. It's still on my list of things to do unless someone beats me to the punch.

Reporting from my Dell D620 with OS X 10.6.3!

Everything seems to be working okay. Also the update fixed my usb dongle wake problem. When i waked the computer the darn thing wouldnt work unless id remove it and put it back. Now everything is okay!

M.

Great news! I was wondering about that. I am really not sure about Intel GMA950 machines without the DSDT patch. I haven't checked to see if the kexts used to enable graphics are still compatible.

The wireless card is a DW 1395, I have seen statements around the web that it should just work. I have a second hard drive for this machine with XP on it. The wireless card works with it. When I boot XP the wifi light is automatically on. I leave the switch in the on position and shutdown and replace with the OS X hard drive and boot it up and the wifi light is off, and system profiler shows "No information found." for Airport.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, sound and wired ethernet are not working. But I really want to get wifi working first, I can deal with those things later.

Thanks,

Kevin

Okay, sound should be working. 1395 cards are not proving to be as reliable for this install as the 1490 cards are. There is supposed to be a trick to get 1395s to work, but since I don't actually have one, I don't have anything for you.

For wired ethernet, you can try adding the ethernet kext to /s/l/e using kexthelper.

Oh, and unless you have a pressing reason to use 10.5.6, I'd spring for the Snow Leopard update and get current.

Hi Leppy700m

May be you can advise.

I have successfully installed SL on my D620 NV.

Now I installed the QT MPEG2 plugin to enable DVD Playback.

Unfortunately DVD Playback results in an error message.

Have you or somebody else seen this issue?

Is there a setting that I need to apply?

Please help.

lemans

It's pretty well documented that The Apple drivers in 10.6.x are broken for that graphics chipset. You still have hardware acceleration, but certain apple programs (like DVD player) don't work. You can still play DVDs with VLC.

I just noticed something weird. For every 1 out of 4 boots, my CPU speed is cut back to half.

Normally I have a 2.5 ghz dual core. Using CPU-X, I noticed that it cut down my multiplier to 6.5, which is 1/2 of what it should be and result with 1.2Ghz. If I just reboot, it goes back to 2.5 ghz usually, but that's weird since it happens every now and then.

I disabled dynamic acceleration in the bios to see if it will help, but that did nothing. Disabling speedstep puts it at 1.2ghz ALL THE TIME, so I didnt touch that either. I'm kinda stumped. Is it because of intel NullCPUpowermanagement.kext?

Thanks guys

Not sure, but I suspect it's just normal speedstep operation. Does the machine seem slow? If you're getting your CPU speed from profiler - don't rely on that. You can make profiler say that you get your groove on your grandma. If you want to fix the profiler display, then used an smbios.plst edited to say what the CPU speed is. Otherwise to test CPU speed, use a reputable speed checking utility and forget about what system profiler says.

I have put it under load. It's NOT running voodoopower.

When I run Cpu-x, no matter WHAT application I run, it stays at 1.2Ghz.

I also ran "sysctl -a | grep freq" and it shows this

hw.cpufrequency: 1200000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 1200000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 1200000000

Which means its BLOCKED at 1.2ghz!

Normally it should say 2.56 ghz. My computer is NOT throttling... its stuck in one state. Why is this?!

I am running the post-install kexts only. I am NOT running the DSDT provided in the new zip file as I lose my Sound in the process and cant get it back for some reason no matter what kexts i use.

I have a D630 with 4gigs of 667 mhz ram. My processor is a t9300 2.56 ghz.

Please Leppy or someone help. Thanks!

I just haven't seen that happening, so I really don't know how to advise, other than to use an smbiops.plist to see if that actually impacts CPU operation. That's a very fast CPU for a D series, I'm wondering if a chipset driver makes it work properly in windows that earlier core 2 duos don't require. As a hardware platform ages, sometimes manufacturers use soft fixes to add compatibility and add a smidge to the lifespan of the platform. Is your BIOS current? I wonder what would happen with your machine config with Linux.

Cheers leppy,

I am writing this in a fresh mac os x 10.6 install on a DELL D820. The process took me some time (3 hours) but where a piece of cake.

I had just one incident, during instalation the computer scrren went in sleep mode and did not came back. I had to restart the instalation process and babie sit my notebook so it did not went in sleep mode and this time everything went right.

I have dual core working, nvidia ok with monitor native resolution (1920x1080), usb and network working as well.

The sleep mode dont work and i have no wireless (intel 3945ABG nightmare). I´m not sure if it is runing 32 or 64 Bits, don´t konw how to check this on mac osx, but it seems prety fast to me.

Finaly, thank you very much for your generosity and communal spirit. Without your help it would be a traumatic experience to install this OS.

Thank you.

Herman

Those incidents are bummers, but the real bummer is this: That's happened to me more than once. Sometimes I just wait a half hour, restart the machine and the install has completed okay. No need to start over, unless you have a need to actually see the progress bar.

Cheers leppy,

I am writing this in a fresh mac os x 10.6 install on a DELL D820. The process took me some time (3 hours) but where a piece of cake.

I had just one incident, during instalation the computer scrren went in sleep mode and did not came back. I had to restart the instalation process and babie sit my notebook so it did not went in sleep mode and this time everything went right.

I have dual core working, nvidia ok with monitor native resolution (1920x1080), usb and network working as well.

The sleep mode dont work and i have no wireless (intel 3945ABG nightmare). I´m not sure if it is runing 32 or 64 Bits, don´t konw how to check this on mac osx, but it seems prety fast to me.

Finaly, thank you very much for your generosity and communal spirit. Without your help it would be a traumatic experience to install this OS.

Thank you.

Herman

Those incidents are bummers, but the real bummer is this: That's happened to me more than once. Sometimes I just wait a half hour, restart the machine and the install has completed okay. No need to start over, unless you have a need to actually see the progress bar.

Disappear for a few days and holy {censored}! So - OS X 10.6.3 is out! Those of you running the DSDT should not have major issues with it, and all those on Nvidia. But those running Intel GMA950 without a DSDT graphics fix should proceed carefully. Apple has been known to roll out new video kexts that are not compatible with older, patched ones. I'll get around to checking it out over the next few days, but I only have a few different machines to test with.

If you want to test and post results, that would be great. All of you can do a lot more than I can. If you can do a full time machine backup, the risk is pretty low that you won't be able to recover from an awful result. If not - you've entered the twilight zone.

Disappear for a few days and holy {censored}! So - OS X 10.6.3 is out! Those of you running the DSDT should not have major issues with it, and all those on Nvidia. But those running Intel GMA950 without a DSDT graphics fix should proceed carefully. Apple has been known to roll out new video kexts that are not compatible with older, patched ones. I'll get around to checking it out over the next few days, but I only have a few different machines to test with.

If you want to test and post results, that would be great. All of you can do a lot more than I can. If you can do a full time machine backup, the risk is pretty low that you won't be able to recover from an awful result. If not - you've entered the twilight zone.

I have the D630 with the Intel GMA graphics card. I tried all day yesterday to get 10.6.3 system sleep working, no luck. Every time the system went to sleep, I had to do a hard reboot to get the system back up. Everything else seemed to be OK, including firewire, wireless, ethernet, trackpad and sound (needed the Voodoo prefpane). But dysfunctional sleep is a big problem on a laptop.

So I installed my backup of 10.6.2 and the world is right again. Still wondering - do I have to make changes to the DSDT file when I upgrade to 4 Gigs of ram? I currently have 2 (2X1).

I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic a couple days ago. By far the easiest SL how-to and install I've come across. As of this morning, I'm up and running 10.6.3. Everything is working great except ethernet. I have a D630C with Intel 82566MM LAN. I already swapped the Intel WIFI for a Dell 1510 N :( I've found a kext that supposedly works for the LAN and after installing it, it seems to be recognizing as en1 but it's "stuck", it only grabs a private IP address via DHCP. It's not that big of a deal since wifi is working but if anyone out there has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I read thru the first 19 pages of this topic but did not see anything. I also have a D dock and now understand why it's not recommended. Thanks again leppy and everyone for chiming in.

I had a working D620 (intel video) but accidentally upgraded to 10.6.3

Most video stuff works except in iPhoto when I want to edit a picture and the slidshow. I think due to wrong video setup. Is there anything to fix ( or revert to lower then 10.6.3?)

Sorry for asking this but this forum is so helpfull!!!

Thanks!

Frans

I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic a couple days ago. By far the easiest SL how-to and install I've come across. As of this morning, I'm up and running 10.6.3. Everything is working great except ethernet. I have a D630C with Intel 82566MM LAN. I already swapped the Intel WIFI for a Dell 1510 N :) I've found a kext that supposedly works for the LAN and after installing it, it seems to be recognizing as en1 but it's "stuck", it only grabs a private IP address via DHCP. It's not that big of a deal since wifi is working but if anyone out there has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I read thru the first 19 pages of this topic but did not see anything. I also have a D dock and now understand why it's not recommended. Thanks again leppy and everyone for chiming in.

Here are the kext that are working for my system D630

ehternet put in s/l/e

pcmcia put in e/e

rebuild mkext

repair permission

restart your system.

Dell630_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.zip

PCMCIAkext.zip

I had a working D620 (intel video) but accidentally upgraded to 10.6.3

Most video stuff works except in iPhoto when I want to edit a picture and the slidshow. I think due to wrong video setup. Is there anything to fix ( or revert to lower then 10.6.3?)

Sorry for asking this but this forum is so helpfull!!!

Thanks!

Frans

I had to go back to 10.6.2 due to this issue. Could not find a working solution at this time. Hope you have a backup.

Good to know. No backup :( my own mistake but no worries It was a 'play and learn ' setup I now wonder if I'm better of buying a D630 or a D620. I can;t find how good the D630 is. D620 is pretty good out of the box. I see some D630 postings but does anybody know how the compair??

I had to go back to 10.6.2 due to this issue. Could not find a working solution at this time. Hope you have a backup.

10.6.3 went on without a hitch. I think it bears reminding that you should use DSDT patch OR sleep enabler, not both. Personally I had very little success with sleep enabler. Since our display sleep doesn't work, use sudo pmset displaysleep 0 to disable it - this also works when using the install dvd, if you must see the progress bar, rather than waiting for the machine to reboot at the end of the install. I suspect that to make display sleep work will require the use of NVenabler + NVCAP values; rather than chameleon graphics enabler/ plist string. If I finally get some free time over easter I'll try to have a play with this. The advantage of that approach is that you should be able to add the right strings to make things like VGA-svideo adapters or docks work. That's what I used with my 250GTS on the desktop to get TV-out working anyway - but laptops the horror the horror.... Of course if anyone is a genius with DSDT edits and can fix it there...

Just noticed, .3 killed my PCMCIA firewire card, nuts. Unlike Mikkp it failed to fix usb unmount on sleep for me.

P.S. Don't use the examples of DSDT I posted earlier, it was generated from within SL; I got better results with one taken from 64 bit Debian.

Good work all.

P.P.S. Now is the time to buy 2nd hand C2D chips to upgrade your C2 620s, they are cheap now but will start to get more expensive as they are soaked out of the market. Since our laptops can't run 45nm C2D cpus there's no more upgrades being made. (This according to a mate who works in a computer parts supply biz) Ditto for DDR2 memory, prices are already climbing up as fabs switch to DDR3, 2GiB modules will fetch an ever greater premium as it's the biggest module size intel's pervasive 945 chipset takes and the available pool is shrinking. I think since I upgraded to 4GiB RAM, 500GB drive to run Debian/Snow/Xp, got the extended and media bay batteries I ended up with a very solid C2D road machine with a 5~6 hr battery life. Given D620s robust design it's worth considering doing the upgrades now, if you plan on keeping your rig for a year or two.

P.P.P.S. I find to get the built in mike working I need to install the Voodoo pref pane, then plug and unplug a mike (or headphones, same difference) into the external mike socket. That seems to make the internal mike come alive for me, it will persist for a while. Sound quality is quite poor however, it's rather scratchy and prone to pops - ok for skype etc but not much else.

Here are the kext that are working for my system D630

ehternet put in s/l/e

pcmcia put in e/e

rebuild mkext

repair permission

restart your system.

thanks for the reply fyangster, but I believe the kext you attached is for a Broadcom LAN/NIC, yes? I have an Intel LAN/NIC in my D630C.

It seems I was wrong reporting my D620 having no problems with 10.6.3.

VLC stopped working, my screensaver don't work anymore, and video performance took a huge step backwards.

Tried installing a third party screensaver, this works, only the system preference pane crashes each time I want to change some settings for mentioned screensaver.

Could this have something to do with the videocard my 'about this mac' reports?

It says I've got a Nvidia card, which I don't, this should read Intel.

Applied the dsdt patch. everything working ok now.

thanks again leppy for the brilliant work!

wait a minute..... damn! no sound!

I seem to have lost my soundcard. :wub:

Inserted voodoohda.kext.

problem solved.

This is the contents of my extensions folder; everything seems to work. except sleep, ofcourse.

post-277688-1270245786_thumb.png

I am also encountering the same issue regarding the Intel graphics. For the most part, everything else seems okay when I updated to 10.6.3, but I did lose Quartz GL (my menu bar is no longer translucent). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mark

D620 - Intel GMA, SL 10.6.3