[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi Leppy700m

May be you can advise.

I have successfully installed SL on my D620 NV.

Now I installed the QT MPEG2 plugin to enable DVD Playback.

Unfortunately DVD Playback results in an error message.

Have you or somebody else seen this issue?

Is there a setting that I need to apply?

Please help.

lemans

Moving the voodoo HDA to s/l/e didn't fix the audio crackle after sleep- BUT I found a voodooHDA kext at kexts.com that had the fix and it worked for my D630 loaded to s/l/e.

Anybody have a D630 solution for full track/touchpad scrolling? Tried several things with the latest voodoo trackpad.kext being the last and could never get the preference pane to load without crashing the sysprefs and error for ALPs trackpad not found.

yes the bootCD voodooHDA is out of date, the correct one was posted somewhere in this thread.

I just noticed something weird. For every 1 out of 4 boots, my CPU speed is cut back to half.

Normally I have a 2.5 ghz dual core. Using CPU-X, I noticed that it cut down my multiplier to 6.5, which is 1/2 of what it should be and result with 1.2Ghz. If I just reboot, it goes back to 2.5 ghz usually, but that's weird since it happens every now and then.

I disabled dynamic acceleration in the bios to see if it will help, but that did nothing. Disabling speedstep puts it at 1.2ghz ALL THE TIME, so I didnt touch that either. I'm kinda stumped. Is it because of intel NullCPUpowermanagement.kext?

Thanks guys

I just noticed something weird. For every 1 out of 4 boots, my CPU speed is cut back to half.

Normally I have a 2.5 ghz dual core. Using CPU-X, I noticed that it cut down my multiplier to 6.5, which is 1/2 of what it should be and result with 1.2Ghz. If I just reboot, it goes back to 2.5 ghz usually, but that's weird since it happens every now and then.

I disabled dynamic acceleration in the bios to see if it will help, but that did nothing. Disabling speedstep puts it at 1.2ghz ALL THE TIME, so I didnt touch that either. I'm kinda stumped. Is it because of intel NullCPUpowermanagement.kext?

Thanks guys

I think that's voodoo power doing it's thing, run prime 95 then start cpux again- it'll jump back to full speed.

OK, so I have a few questions and I cant find the answers. I have a Dell D630 Nvidia graphics, intel wifi and followed the guide which worked awesome (THANKS LEPPY), but i have a few issues:

1. Wired ethernet does not work at all

2. Wireless does not work (of course, but just listing it)

3. Sleep and shutdown do not work right; i think restart is ok

The largest issue I have is the following:

I want to be able to run Windows 7 side by side with SL, but am having some real issues. I followed this guide:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-ma...bootloader.html

It seemed to almost work. Every time I try and get them installed on the same disk, one of the installs complains about the formatting of the drive. Im not sure, but I was able to install win7 on the guid partition using that guide, but when i installed BCD, it crashed trying to boot into max osx.

I then tried to get the win7 installed again, but this time (following all of the same steps) got an error running gsync

ANY help or links would be appreciated thanks!!!

Funny things is I'm not using Voodoopower, just using VoodooBATTERY. I am not running the DSDT version of the D630 because I have no sound. I am running the original Post-Install configuration off Leppy's Snow leopard disc. I'm about to tear my hair out. I've mixed and matched kexts to figure it out but I cant. I dont know why during some boot ups, it defaults to 1.2 Ghz (which is, according to the bios, the lowest CPU state of my computer). It at other times runs at 2.56 ghz, which is its max.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks..

P.S. I almost found a solution to the scroll. But am getting sidetracked by this problem of mine.

I think that's voodoo power doing it's thing, run prime 95 then start cpux again- it'll jump back to full speed.

OK, so I have a few questions and I cant find the answers. I have a Dell D630 Nvidia graphics, intel wifi and followed the guide which worked awesome (THANKS LEPPY), but i have a few issues:

1. Wired ethernet does not work at all

2. Wireless does not work (of course, but just listing it)

3. Sleep and shutdown do not work right; i think restart is ok

It seemed to almost work. Every time I try and get them installed on the same disk, one of the installs complains about the formatting of the drive. Im not sure, but I was able to install win7 on the guid partition using that guide, but when i installed BCD, it crashed trying to boot into max osx.

I then tried to get the win7 installed again, but this time (following all of the same steps) got an error running gsync

ANY help or links would be appreciated thanks!!!

I find the broadcom kext has to go into s/l/e for it to reliably work on my machine. For sleep you will need to make a custom patched DSDT.

It's easiest to just use Chameleon for your 2/3X boot; here is a very quick run down on multibooting. Just briefly, as all these steps are described in detail in other threads.

You will need to use a hybrid GPT-MBR partition table, OSX will create one automatically as soon as you create a FAT partition on the GUID drive. However, OSX is borderline retarded about how it treats the MBR side of things; so you will need to install gptsync. The MBR partition can only have 4 non-extended partitions, windows has to be in the 1st or 4th of these. It's easiest to put it in the last one, since the first one is going to be a protective EFI one.

So, using disk utility format 1)HFS+ 2)FAT 32 3)FAT 32 of whatever size you require on GUID disk. Since we are creating fat partitions on a GUID drive OSX will automatically create a hybrid GPT-MBR disk . Giving us disk0s0 EFI, s1 HFS+, s2 FAT32, s3 FAT32. disk0s3 is where windows is going.

Install OSX, then use gptsync to sync your tables, fdisk to set s3 active. The other fat 32 can be used to install linux or whatever you want to use it for.

Boot windows install media, reformat (quick) the fourth partition to NTFS, install windows. Once you have windows working, use bootCD to boot into your OSX install. Sync your partitions with gptsync, use fdisk to set s2 as active. Install chameleon.

Done...

If you are going to add another os put it in s3, rinse and repeat. For *nix you will need to have made a 5th partition (remember s0 is invisible to disk utility) that will become your swap partition. Most distros read the GUID table ok so it's not a problem. During install, format s3 to ext3/4 or whatever file system you use and set s5 to swap. Remember to install GRUB to /dev/sda3 NOT MBR!!!

Voila - triple boot via Chameleon.

Note, gptsync removes the active partition marker, that makes sense for real macs / efi computers - for us it's just a nuisance, use fdisk to fix this up.

Below is a screenshot of my 500GB drive after a OSX/Debian/XP install. Note gptsync wants to remove my active marker and that the 5th partition is not shown on the MBR side, which is ok as windows doesn't need to see it.

gpt.png

I find the broadcom kext has to go into s/l/e for it to reliably work on my machine. For sleep you will need to make a custom patched DSDT.

It's easiest to just use Chameleon for your 2/3X boot; here is a very quick run down on multibooting. Just briefly, as all these steps are described in detail in other threads.

You will need to use a hybrid GPT-MBR partition table, OSX will create one automatically as soon as you create a FAT partition on the GUID drive. However, OSX is borderline retarded about how it treats the MBR side of things; so you will need to install gptsync. The MBR partition can only have 4 non-extended partitions, windows has to be in the 1st or 4th of these. It's easiest to put it in the last one, since the first one is going to be a protective EFI one.

So, using disk utility format 1)HFS+ 2)FAT 32 3)FAT 32 of whatever size you require on GUID disk. Since we are creating fat partitions on a GUID drive OSX will automatically create a hybrid GPT-MBR disk . Giving us disk0s0 EFI, s1 HFS+, s2 FAT32, s3 FAT32. disk0s3 is where windows is going.

Install OSX, then use gptsync to sync your tables, fdisk to set s3 active. The other fat 32 can be used to install linux or whatever you want to use it for.

Boot windows install media, reformat (quick) the fourth partition to NTFS, install windows. Once you have windows working, use bootCD to boot into your OSX install. Sync your partitions with gptsync, use fdisk to set s2 as active. Install chameleon.

Done...

If you are going to add another os put it in s3, rinse and repeat. For *nix you will need to have made a 5th partition (remember s0 is invisible to disk utility) that will become your swap partition. Most distros read the GUID table ok so it's not a problem. During install, format s3 to ext3/4 or whatever file system you use and set s5 to swap. Remember to install GRUB to /dev/sda3 NOT MBR!!!

Voila - triple boot via Chameleon.

Note, gptsync removes the active partition marker, that makes sense for real macs / efi computers - for us it's just a nuisance, use fdisk to fix this up.

Below is a screenshot of my 500GB drive after a OSX/Debian/XP install. Note gptsync wants to remove my active marker and that the 5th partition is not shown on the MBR side, which is ok as windows doesn't need to see it.

gpt.png

Ok, so i have a few questions here. First off, thanks for your help.

I am a n00b when it comes to the stuff here so:

1. Where can I get a kext for the ethernet? I am not sure if I have an intel wired ethernet or broadcom, I can tell you in a bit

2. How the heck to I make a DSDT patch?

3. I have osx installed and created two partitions, one 100GB HFS partition and the other is a 350GB fat partition. I ran the Nvidia patch once booted into MAcosx for chameleon bootloader. But when I boot from the osx dvd to install gptsync, it tells me: gptsync: Data write failed at position 0: Bad file descriptor

What the heck?

I tried running the sudo command, but that isnt found at all. If I boot into the mac install, sudo is there. What is going on?

Thanks

I have put it under load. It's NOT running voodoopower.

When I run Cpu-x, no matter WHAT application I run, it stays at 1.2Ghz.

I also ran "sysctl -a | grep freq" and it shows this

hw.cpufrequency: 1200000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 1200000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 1200000000

Which means its BLOCKED at 1.2ghz!

Normally it should say 2.56 ghz. My computer is NOT throttling... its stuck in one state. Why is this?!

I am running the post-install kexts only. I am NOT running the DSDT provided in the new zip file as I lose my Sound in the process and cant get it back for some reason no matter what kexts i use.

I have a D630 with 4gigs of 667 mhz ram. My processor is a t9300 2.56 ghz.

Please Leppy or someone help. Thanks!

i want all you guys to check your processors after every restart. Mine runs at 2.56 for half the time and 1.2 (minimum) for the other half. I cannot figure out why anymore. It's driving me insane. I cant be the only one with this problem. I bet alot of you guys have it but dont notice. do a Cpu-x after every reboot, and see what results u get. Also, voodoopowermini.kext doesnt work on my d630 either...

My t7250 shows 1.99ghz after every reboot. The 2.5.3 voodooHDA kext (s/l/e) fixed my audio in after sleep, but I still don't have trackpad clicking after sleep. Tried another voodoops2 with the trackpad plugin that rendered the trackpad and keyboard dead on reboot, so I'm back with the ps2 kext from the Leppy's iso.

Great work leppy. I am almost happy with my D420 with SL 10.6.2......but......can you activate the PCMCIA slot like writen in your first topic and do you know a way to get the SD-cardreader (O2 Micro) work on my D420?

Thanks a lot, Simon

Great work dude! everything is working great, i have the same system as you. Have you managed to get the pcmcia card slot working? and if i wanted to use a hacked SL install disc that permits MBR installs, can i still use your boot disc or would it need to be modified?

anyone have a Generic DSDT for only a T9300 processor? I think my d630 is screwing up because it has the wrong p-states/c-states, and is defaulting and getting stuck at lowest processor state. I have no idea how to mess with DSDT files. Any help please? thanks!

Great work dude! everything is working great, i have the same system as you. Have you managed to get the pcmcia card slot working? and if i wanted to use a hacked SL install disc that permits MBR installs, can i still use your boot disc or would it need to be modified?

I just installed the Sleepenabler.kext 10.2 for OSX 10.6.2 and it work for enabling all sleep accept the display. I just put it in the /Extras/Extensions folder and rebuilt the mkext and it worked. Anyone know how to fix the display sleep on a nvidia D620?

Also installed Chameleon RC4 since leppy's disc comes with RC3. Used ipoco's installer? then rebuilt mkext in the /Extras folder and voila!

Im trying that Clamshell kext right now, it works, but its doesnt resume automatically when you open the lid, and since i dont have full trackpad support, i need to use the powerbutton to wake it. Its more than i had before though.

I installed the newest voodoobattery 1.3.2 in e/e and rebuilt mkext and now i have my batt meter at the top and the thing wakes from sleep when i open the lid, pretty fast too, the only thing not working now is the display sleep w/ lid open and full trackpad support, and PCMCIA. Guess ill just keep trying different combos and see what i get.

Perhaps with this kext?

Clamshell Sleep

I haven't tried it yet.

Hi,

I followed your instructions for my D420 and snow leopard. When I boot the chameleon cd and get the boot menu I then remove the chameleon cd and put in my snow leopard retail dvd. When I press enter to boot the install dvd I get a can't find mach_kernel error and get brought back to the chameleon boot screen. Any ideas on this issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Two things - I have the battery indicator, but it shows two batteries. Sleep works, including closing the clamshell, but the system uses the battery settings for sleep rather than power adaptor settings, even when plugged in.

I'm also upgrading to 4 GB of ram from two. What changes do I have to make in the DSDT file?

BTW, I'm running VirtualBox from Sun - open source virtualization. I am very impressed. Seems kinda weird - dell D630 running Snow Leopard, running VirtualBox running Unbuntu and Windows XP Pro. That's one of the reasons I'm updating to 4 GB of ram.

OK, three things - I think my processor supports 11X - T7500@2.2 GHz, but the multiplier maxes out at 10X based on CPU-X

OK - 4 things. I'd like to add bluetooth. I know the little usb external ones usually work. I was wondering if anyone had installing an internal one to a D630.

......When I press enter to boot the install dvd I get a can't find mach_kernel error and get brought back to the chameleon boot screen. Any ideas on this issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes.......try to hit F5 until the Leo DVD is shown in the screen. Wait a few seconds until the DVD spins up. Then it works.

I've tested sleepenabler on D420: Sleep works (only with keyboard shortcut or via menue not via lid) but it does not wake up again :P I checked all hints with BIOS: USB legacy off, USB Wake off, no passwords at all. Any tips or tricks?

I will try newest voodoo battery this afternoon. Hoping not to worsen the situation :(

Great topic here..........

Yours Simon

Reporting from my Dell D620 with OS X 10.6.3!

Everything seems to be working okay. Also the update fixed my usb dongle wake problem. When i waked the computer the darn thing wouldnt work unless id remove it and put it back. Now everything is okay!

M.