[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hats off and a big thanks to you, Mr. Leppy700m.

After many hackintoshing many netbooks for family and friends, I've been looking for a decent sized laptop for SL until I can get a real mbp. I spent quite a bit of time reading various threads and looking on ebay and decided on a D620 C2D Nvidia and your guide.

Wow.

Everything works and it looks great (except for corrupt audio on resume, but I'm not TOO worried about that. If I get it fixed, then great). My only problem now is that I don't think I'll be able to go to the 13" mbp per my original plan as I really like the 1440x900. Well, thanks again and keep up the good work.

Hats off and a big thanks to you, Mr. Leppy700m.

After many hackintoshing many netbooks for family and friends, I've been looking for a decent sized laptop for SL until I can get a real mbp. I spent quite a bit of time reading various threads and looking on ebay and decided on a D620 C2D Nvidia and your guide.

Wow.

Everything works and it looks great (except for corrupt audio on resume, but I'm not TOO worried about that. If I get it fixed, then great). My only problem now is that I don't think I'll be able to go to the 13" mbp per my original plan as I really like the 1440x900. Well, thanks again and keep up the good work.

There's a newer voodoohda.kext out there that will fix the audio issue on resume from sleep, however, it doesn't load properly from /Extra/extensions.mkext . You can also unload and then reload load the voodoohda kext after you resume from sleep and that will get audio working properly again.

This is a common voodoohda issue, and when I get more time, I am going to see if we can enable audio via DSDT instead of using kexts.

I just wrote myself a shell script last night and put it on the desktop to unload / reload the kext. Not the perfect or cleanest solution, but definitely acceptable to me and quite usable. I was thinking about making it automatically do it on wake, but I've only seen 3rd party support for script-launching at wake time. It seems that this should be launchd-provided functionality, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it and based on the number of questions I've found online regarding the same, I don't think it is easy without a 3rd party daemon of some sort.

Thanks again. For the price, this D620 makes an amazing mac

I just wrote myself a shell script last night and put it on the desktop to unload / reload the kext. Not the perfect or cleanest solution, but definitely acceptable to me and quite usable. I was thinking about making it automatically do it on wake, but I've only seen 3rd party support for script-launching at wake time. It seems that this should be launchd-provided functionality, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it and based on the number of questions I've found online regarding the same, I don't think it is easy without a 3rd party daemon of some sort.

I think a script like that is the ticket - I did the same thing.

And yeah, these things do run pretty well, but I have no illusions about it being a Mac. Have you seen a Mac screen lately? They're amazing. They look a little better than my desktop LCD (Samsung), which looks a ton better than my D620 LCDs. Backlit keyboards, batteries that just go, power plugs that don't tear up the computer if they get tripped over. There's a Macbook Pro in my future.

I think a script like that is the ticket - I did the same thing.

And yeah, these things do run pretty well, but I have no illusions about it being a Mac. Have you seen a Mac screen lately? They're amazing. They look a little better than my desktop LCD (Samsung), which looks a ton better than my D620 LCDs. Backlit keyboards, batteries that just go, power plugs that don't tear up the computer if they get tripped over. There's a Macbook Pro in my future.

Oh absolutely no question of that, I was just about to pull the trigger on buying a 13" mbp a few weeks ago when plans changed and I suddenly found myself with $300 instead of $1200. My wife has a 13" white macbook from like last september and apple certainly builds a nice product. That magsafe connector is one of the greatest ideas ever for laptops. My only problem now is that instead of saving $1200, I'm now saving $1700 since I don't think I could give up the 1440x900 resolution.

Oh absolutely no question of that, I was just about to pull the trigger on buying a 13" mbp a few weeks ago when plans changed and I suddenly found myself with $300 instead of $1200. My wife has a 13" white macbook from like last september and apple certainly builds a nice product. That magsafe connector is one of the greatest ideas ever for laptops. My only problem now is that instead of saving $1200, I'm now saving $1700 since I don't think I could give up the 1440x900 resolution.

So what does your wife think of the D620?

Hi leppy700m,

Ok, I should have read the instruction..

Now it works fine. I just need to swap the intel wifi card to the Dell 1395 wifi with the broadcom chip.

Now I have to create a win7 partition in addition to the MAC SL.

Thanks again for the great work on this. Its dummy proof ( :-) )

lemans

She likes her real macbook better :D I don't think she'd be in a hurry to trade me.
No big surprise there, right?

Hi leppy700m,

Ok, I should have read the instruction..

Now it works fine. I just need to swap the intel wifi card to the Dell 1395 wifi with the broadcom chip.

Now I have to create a win7 partition in addition to the MAC SL.

Thanks again for the great work on this. Its dummy proof ( :-) )

lemans

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Hi there Mr Leppy !

First of all Thank you very much for your tools

I've successfully installed leo 10.57 on a D430 , before that I've tried deneb or ipc ppf and it was not working at all....

I have many questions for you:

Is it possible to multiboot osx / ubuntu / window$7 with your tool and how ?

Can I use a Dell 3G mini pc card on leo with my D430 ?

Do you think I can install snow leo on a D430 too or is it better to stay with leo 10.57 ?

Do you plan to make a boot cd for the latitude E Family E4300/E6500/E5500 ?

Is there any tutorial somewhere on how to create this kind of custom boot cd ?

Anyway thanx for your time and your hard work

Hi there Mr Leppy !

Can I use a Dell 3G mini pc card on leo with my D430 ?

Do you think I can install snow leo on a D430 too or is it better to stay with leo 10.57 ?

Leppy's guide works great with Snow Leopard on a D430 although sleep does not appear to work.

I would like to know about the 3G compatibility as well.

Hi leppy700m,

I was wondering if you could implement a Win7 boot option for your bootloader (D620SLV1) ? :(

I like the style with the dell Logo and the apple for MACOS.

Is that difficult? :angel:

Please advise.

lemans :rolleyes:

Hi there Mr Leppy !

I've successfully installed leo 10.57 on a D430 , before that I've tried deneb or ipc ppf and it was not working at all....

I have many questions for you:

1. Is it possible to multiboot osx / ubuntu / window$7 with your tool and how ?

2. Can I use a Dell 3G mini pc card on leo with my D430 ?

3. Do you think I can install snow leo on a D430 too or is it better to stay with leo 10.57 ?

4. Do you plan to make a boot cd for the latitude E Family E4300/E6500/E5500 ?

5. Is there any tutorial somewhere on how to create this kind of custom boot cd ?

Anyway thanx for your time and your hard work

1. Yes. I use the Chameleon boot loader, and there are WIN7 discussions about multiboot with WIN7 eslewhere. I really don't want to get into that here.

2. I don't not know for certain, but I suspect it will work if there is MAC support for it.

3. Snow should be fine.

4. Not unless someone gives me an e-series laptop. My D-series seems to fits my needs for now.

5. Not in one place, no. The docs in the Chameleon package touch on how to get the boot loader working, but beyond that it's it's trial and error for each hardware type.

Hi leppy700m,

I was wondering if you could implement a Win7 boot option for your bootloader (D620SLV1) ? :(

I like the style with the dell Logo and the apple for MACOS.

Is that difficult? :angel:

Please advise.

lemans :rolleyes:

It's not my bootloader. The Voodoo/Chameleon team developed that. All I did was marry it with a kext package and dump it on a cd.

Chameleon can boot WIN7, but I don't want to get into that discussion here. There are other threads out there with multiboot info for Chameleon with WIN7.

Thanks to all the contributors/posters in this thread I've got my D630 running 10.6.2 in a completely usable state. The only noticeable issue at this point is some audio static after sleeping- but that's not to say that the audio isn't usable- just like a little bit of radio static. At least that's what it sounded like in a streamed Vimeo video (the sys sounds are far worse).

What I've done:

- Started with the D630/10.6.2 ISO and procedure at the beginning of this thread.

- Swapped in Leppy's DSTM file(s) from the "d630nv_03022010.zip" (second post, this thread)

- The downloaded and installed the most recent voodoohda.kext in s/l/e

Did the repair & reboot- and tah dah! :)

Next up is installing all my graphics apps and seeing how it manages a workout.

Thanks The only noticeable issue at this point is some audio static after sleeping

Easily solved; move the voodooHDA kext from e/e/ to s/l/e. Same with the ethernet kext if it's messing with your iPhone/iTunes store authentication. Use kext utility to repack both mkext and fix permissions.

Easily solved; move the voodooHDA kext from e/e/ to s/l/e. Same with the ethernet kext if it's messing with your iPhone/iTunes store authentication. Use kext utility to repack both mkext and fix permissions.

I did move the HDA to s/l/e. I had no sound (device wasn't even visible to the OS) when it was in e/e. Haven't moved the enet kext in there. Would that impact sound? I'm imaging the drive now, but will resume playing with it this weekend. thx

Cheers leppy,

I am writing this in a fresh mac os x 10.6 install on a DELL D820. The process took me some time (3 hours) but where a piece of cake.

I had just one incident, during instalation the computer scrren went in sleep mode and did not came back. I had to restart the instalation process and babie sit my notebook so it did not went in sleep mode and this time everything went right.

I have dual core working, nvidia ok with monitor native resolution (1920x1080), usb and network working as well.

The sleep mode dont work and i have no wireless (intel 3945ABG nightmare). I´m not sure if it is runing 32 or 64 Bits, don´t konw how to check this on mac osx, but it seems prety fast to me.

Finaly, thank you very much for your generosity and communal spirit. Without your help it would be a traumatic experience to install this OS.

Thank you.

Herman

could I get a copy of that script or could you please post the code? I've been using the latest driver version from Mercurysquad for my WiFi but it doesn't ever want to load after a reboot or sleep. Of course it just came out so it's not even a beta yet but it's for the 3945 card and when it does work, it works well...

Oh yea, thanx to you Mr. Leppy700m sir for a fine post!

Snow Leopard rocks on this old Dell!

The only thing left to fix is the loading of the 3945 kext.

could I get a copy of that script or could you please post the code? I've been using the latest driver version from Mercurysquad for my WiFi but it doesn't ever want to load after a reboot or sleep. Of course it just came out so it's not even a beta yet but it's for the 3945 card and when it does work, it works well...

Oh yea, thanx to you Mr. Leppy700m sir for a fine post!

Snow Leopard rocks on this old Dell!

The only thing left to fix is the loading of the 3945 kext.

Just swapped my Extensions folder with the one Leppy provided in the second first post "d630nv_03022010.zip" and what it did was it recognized the 3945ABG drivers provided by Mercurysquad. Seems that some of the kext's that are being loaded by the default setup are messing up something. Although the kexts are giving me an output of 1280*800 which sucks. Somewhat made me fall in love with the 1490*900 setup.

So whats going on?

Why isnt the Graphics being displayed properly?

Ive got a bit ahead of myself. Ive gotten everything to work normally now. The dsdt seems to be loading awesomely and all systems including sleep, sound and somewhat airport are working.

The 3945ABG card is detected and you can even connect to a /b network which is not WPA or WPA2 protected.

My battery is a bit shot though. Not sure if its my problem or the battery's but fully charged running everything full steam it can hold around 50 min.

M.

Just swapped my Extensions folder with the one Leppy provided in the second first post "d630nv_03022010.zip" and what it did was it recognized the 3945ABG drivers provided by Mercurysquad. Seems that some of the kext's that are being loaded by the default setup are messing up something. Although the kexts are giving me an output of 1280*800 which sucks. Somewhat made me fall in love with the 1490*900 setup.

So whats going on?

Why isnt the Graphics being displayed properly?

Ive got a bit ahead of myself. Ive gotten everything to work normally now. The dsdt seems to be loading awesomely and all systems including sleep, sound and somewhat airport are working.

The 3945ABG card is detected and you can even connect to a /b network which is not WPA or WPA2 protected.

My battery is a bit shot though. Not sure if its my problem or the battery's but fully charged running everything full steam it can hold around 50 min.

M.

Interesting, so did you run the DSDTPatcher from your laptop and then put the dsdt.aml in you root then? or are you using Leppy's dsdt.aml?

My battery sucks too, btw. . .it's like over 3 years old or something. . .

Interesting, so did you run the DSDTPatcher from your laptop and then put the dsdt.aml in you root then? or are you using Leppy's dsdt.aml?

My battery sucks too, btw. . .it's like over 3 years old or something. . .

Using everything within the file " d620nv_03022010_e.zip ". I have not added anything else besides the voodooHDA files and the Ethernet port kext's in S/L/E

M.

Using everything within the file " d620nv_03022010_e.zip ". I have not added anything else besides the voodooHDA files and the Ethernet port kext's in S/L/E

M.

thanx for your help. Are you having any trouble getting your 3945 driver to load on reboot?

Moving the voodoo HDA to s/l/e didn't fix the audio crackle after sleep- BUT I found a voodooHDA kext at kexts.com that had the fix and it worked for my D630 loaded to s/l/e.

Anybody have a D630 solution for full track/touchpad scrolling? Tried several things with the latest voodoo trackpad.kext being the last and could never get the preference pane to load without crashing the sysprefs and error for ALPs trackpad not found.

thanx for your help. Are you having any trouble getting your 3945 driver to load on reboot?

Not at all. The kexts are loading everytime and even after sleep. Everything seems to be stable and after multyple restarts everything is still as it should.

Really happy about this!

M.

Thanks for the guide. It has been the easiest install I have found so far. But I can not seem to get my wifi or wired ethernet working. I have installed this twice because I have tried so many fixes I wanted to get a fresh start.

I have been up and down through this thread and all over google looking for an answer for the wifi and I have a tried a lot of different things but nothing is working.

My specs are D630, 3 gb ram (recognized and working), nvidia card (recognized and working at 1440x900 with CI/QE working)

I installed using the boot disk and a retail copy of 10.5 I then followed the directions in the first post of this thread and updated to 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 and I ran the associated scripts per the directions.

After that didn't work I ran the Post Install D620 D820 with still no success on the wifi, wired or sound. That is what fixed the graphics though.

I really wish I would have taken notes during this. Perhaps I will start over again if I can not find a fix.

The wireless card is a DW 1395, I have seen statements around the web that it should just work. I have a second hard drive for this machine with XP on it. The wireless card works with it. When I boot XP the wifi light is automatically on. I leave the switch in the on position and shutdown and replace with the OS X hard drive and boot it up and the wifi light is off, and system profiler shows "No information found." for Airport.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, sound and wired ethernet are not working. But I really want to get wifi working first, I can deal with those things later.

Thanks,

Kevin