[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Leppy. You rock. Do you take Paypal?
This isn't a commercially viable thing, it's just a hobby, and I am just tinkering. No, I don't accept money for this.

Already was. Always was. I've yanked the voodoo mini kext and am trying the straight voodoopower.kext.

Nope, still no sleep. I think it's the HDA kext that gives me sound. So I appear to be able to have sound but no sleep, or sleep but no sound.

All the more reason to see if there's a solution for sound in a DSDT patch.

I have to agree with Leppy that keeping /s/l/e pure is the way to go. Keeping everything in /Extra means an easy way to try things and an easy way to back out if needed.

Can't say I really agree, there seems to be some fixation of late with keeping things "vanilla." Meh, as long as it gets the job done, who cares how you get there? It was a big thing in 2006, when we had to edit the {censored} out of each and every kext in s/l/e and every update meant you had to set things up from scratch. Now? Not so much, I mean seriously; do we really expect Apple to release an update that will overwrite a couple of voodoo kexts?

Kexts in s/l/e get loaded after the ones in e/e, this does have an effect on how your system boots, one that you can sometimes use to your advantage; for example to keep consistent en* assignments. VoodooHDA especially can cause distorted sound when woken from sleep, if it's not found in s/l/e.

I can understand why Leppy as the installer's maintainer wants to keep it simple; but once you know what you want to achive, there's no reason to fear s/l/e.

Can't say I really agree, there seems to be some fixation of late with keeping things "vanilla." Meh, as long as it gets the job done, who cares how you get there? It was a big thing in 2006, when we had to edit the {censored} out of each and every kext in s/l/e and every update meant you had to set things up from scratch. Now? Not so much, I mean seriously; do we really expect Apple to release an update that will overwrite a couple of voodoo kexts?

Kexts in s/l/e get loaded after the ones in e/e, this does have an effect on how your system boots, one that you can sometimes use to your advantage; for example to keep consistent en* assignments. VoodooHDA especially can cause distorted sound when woken from sleep, if it's not found in s/l/e.

I can understand why Leppy as the installer's maintainer wants to keep it simple; but once you know what you want to achive, there's no reason to fear s/l/e.

Well I never said /s/l/e should not be modified. My only point is this - the user should be aware of what's going on outside of the /Extra folder. I just won't do it if I don't have to, and then only after I document the change. What bothers me is when a hack install package installs a dozen things and doesn't document what it's done. I could care less about "vanilla". With a hack, there is no professional support whatsoever, so the user must maintain his own environment. Because of that, I don't think it's right to put out a "secret sauce" fix in a pretty installer without a document much less a clear back out procedure.

Per leppy's latest response, I need to amend my agreement with the sentiment. I am not obsessed with 'vanilla' either. Rather, as with leppy, I perfer to know what's going on with any given suggestion and I like to know there's a simple way of backing out rather than, as you say, having to start from scratch every time (due to update from Apple, or after trying a new tweak).

Consider your suggestion from earlier:

"Try putting the attached kexts in /system/library/extensions/ then use Kext Utility.app (attached to one of the earlier posts in this thread) not rebuild_mkext.command to fix system up. Reboot."

Use Kext Utility.app (which I did find). What does it do?

"fix system up" - what does that mean? What if my system is then goofed up? What did kext utility do and how do I undo it? I'm perfectly willing to try your suggestion of putting those three kexts in /s/l/e, except for Ethernet because I don't care about that, but what is involved with "fix(ing) system up"? Would I just need to remove the VoodooHDA and VoodooPowerMini kexts from /s/l/e?

Per leppy's latest response, I need to amend my agreement with the sentiment. I am not obsessed with 'vanilla' either. Rather, as with leppy, I perfer to know what's going on with any given suggestion and I like to know there's a simple way of backing out rather than, as you say, having to start from scratch every time (due to update from Apple, or after trying a new tweak).

Consider your suggestion from earlier:

"Try putting the attached kexts in /system/library/extensions/ then use Kext Utility.app (attached to one of the earlier posts in this thread) not rebuild_mkext.command to fix system up. Reboot."

Use Kext Utility.app (which I did find). What does it do?

"fix system up" - what does that mean? What if my system is then goofed up? What did kext utility do and how do I undo it? I'm perfectly willing to try your suggestion of putting those three kexts in /s/l/e, except for Ethernet because I don't care about that, but what is involved with "fix(ing) system up"? Would I just need to remove the VoodooHDA and VoodooPowerMini kexts from /s/l/e?

Let me also say preemptively that I know I'm being a PITA and asking for some extra hand-holding and explanation/elaboration on technical aspects of this hobby. I can live with that. I'm asking for myself, for understanding and clarity, but I'm also asking for anyone else who follows along. The more complete and thorough any suggested courses of action are, the fewer (hopefully) follow up questions will be needed to understand what is going on and how to fix any gotchas that invariably arise for some.

But mainly, at the moment, it's for me, so I can understand what's being suggested so I can try it out.

Yeah, just tried experimental patch posted on first page to get sleep working - and it works great. D620/Nvidia. Ok, now it has problem with sound, but I think i's not a big problem. Now searching for solution.

All that the kext utility does is delete kext caches, repack and fix permissions; for both e/e and s/l/e.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the response. I have to run out for a bit, but I'll try adding those files via the utility. I have a full backup and it'd be nice to have sleep and sound so I'll try it.

If it doesn't work, can I just pull the kexts out of /s/l/e or will I need to do something with kext utility?

Alrighty then. Thanks for the response. I have to run out for a bit, but I'll try adding those files via the utility. I have a full backup and it'd be nice to have sleep and sound so I'll try it.

If it doesn't work, can I just pull the kexts out of /s/l/e or will I need to do something with kext utility?

Just pull them out, re-run the Kext Utility and reboot. All will then be as it was before you added them.

Gaah, big fat nothin'.

I put VoodooHDA and VoodooPowerMini into /s/l/e via kext utility and then removed VoodooHDA from /Extra/Extensions and of course reran the command to clean everything up. I no longer have restart (did for a moment waaaay back when I didn't have sound), no sleep, but I do have sound.

At least now I know what's what with that kext utility and feel more comfortable with trying stuff out.

Hi,

I've got a problem. I loaded your boot CD and booted from it, then inserted my Leopard Retail disc and it gets to the white screen with the Apple logo and loads for about 1 minute and then goes to a black screen. I've got a D630 with Intel GMA graphics card. Would you happen to know why it doesn't load? I left it for about 10 minutes on the black screen and nothng happens.

Regards,

Dez

Hi,

I've got a problem. I loaded your boot CD and booted from it, then inserted my Leopard Retail disc and it gets to the white screen with the Apple logo and loads for about 1 minute and then goes to a black screen. I've got a D630 with Intel GMA graphics card. Would you happen to know why it doesn't load? I left it for about 10 minutes on the black screen and nothng happens.

Regards,

Dez

That's because it's a D630 with an Intel GMA graphics card. Sorry, but the boot CD doesn't work with that machine.

Hi leppy,

Just installed osx on a d420 for a friend. ran the post install script, but when i go into about this mac, i will get my display listed as nvidia. The kexts show up under /extra/tmp/gma

Things seems to work, expect dual screen :/

Any hints?Is there a way I can pull out the kexts for that (nvidia) and reinstall for intel ? :)

Hi,

Regards,

Dez

I booted in safe mode for the install DVD. It worked for me, but I don't know about others. I have the X3100 on my D630.

I booted in safe mode for the install DVD. It worked for me, but I don't know about others. I have the X3100 on my D630.
Well, that's news to me. I stand corrected.

Hi leppy,

Just installed osx on a d420 for a friend. ran the post install script, but when i go into about this mac, i will get my display listed as nvidia. The kexts show up under /extra/tmp/gma

Things seems to work, expect dual screen :/

Any hints?Is there a way I can pull out the kexts for that (nvidia) and reinstall for intel ? :hysterical:

natit.kext is the culprit. You can play with removing or replacing that with whatever else works for you.

How do I do this exactly? Do I boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows XP loads? Or is it a different method with the Boot CD provided by leppy700m? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob.

Regards,

Dez

How do I do this exactly? Do I boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows XP loads? Or is it a different method with the Boot CD provided by leppy700m? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob.

Regards,

Dez

Boot with the -x flag and you will boot into safe mode.

Once your bootloader screen comes up, hit tab a few times till it gets you to a command prompt (of sorts) then type in the -x and hit enter.

Itoolio, mate it worked a treat. However, I used an installer package which contains all of the kexts except wireless which I downloaded from InfiniteMac. I keep getting this error saying the kext for the ethernet installed improperly. Have I done something wrong?

Dez

So, has anyone figure out the sleep issue? I'm playing with my D630, but haven't had much luck.

?? - How do you revert to a previous setting with OS X? I keep having to boot into safe mode and copy back all of my previous settings.

I too have a D630, with NVidia. I haven't reverted all the way back yet to leppy's latest ZIP file for D630, but when I'd switched to it before, I had sleep working, albeit with no sound and with wonky focus issues on menus. Since then I've played around with various things, ultimately getting sound via VoodooHDA.kext, but sleep is gone. I kinda like having sound, but I imagine, and I'll try it out soon, that it's possible to go back and forth between having sound (HDA kext) but no sleep, and sleep but no sound (no HDA kext).

As for reverting, which plays into what I just described, all I do is add or remove kexts in /Extra/Extensions and rerun the command to rebuild the kext file. So far I haven't done anything that FUBARs the whole setup. Waaaay back I had to reboot with the CD and then copy stuff back into place (separate folder on desktop holding kexts). But that's just kexts. Are you experiencing something weirder or deeper than that ("all of my previous settings")?

I too have a D630, with NVidia. I haven't reverted all the way back yet to leppy's latest ZIP file for D630, but when I'd switched to it before, I had sleep working, albeit with no sound and with wonky focus issues on menus. Since then I've played around with various things, ultimately getting sound via VoodooHDA.kext, but sleep is gone. I kinda like having sound, but I imagine, and I'll try it out soon, that it's possible to go back and forth between having sound (HDA kext) but no sleep, and sleep but no sound (no HDA kext).

As for reverting, which plays into what I just described, all I do is add or remove kexts in /Extra/Extensions and rerun the command to rebuild the kext file. So far I haven't done anything that FUBARs the whole setup. Waaaay back I had to reboot with the CD and then copy stuff back into place (separate folder on desktop holding kexts). But that's just kexts. Are you experiencing something weirder or deeper than that ("all of my previous settings")?

Most of the problems I have are when I mess with the DSDT file. I think Chameleon allows you to specify a DSDT file during pre-boot. I'll figure that out and point to the file that worked prior to my fiddling around.

Hey Leppy,

I've been a happy D620 SL user for quite some time now and I'm trying to improve my setup a bit by trying your DSDT exploits. Up to now I had some artifacts on my GMA950 and sleep wasn't working, so I thought let's try your experimental zip file.

I've made a clean install just in case and followed your instructions on replacing the /Extra folder with the one from the zip file you provided. Replaced the boot file in / and rebuild the mkext file with your script.

After all of this my d620 boots quite normally, no strange errors during verbose startup but I end up wtith just a White screen, no mouse or anything.

Any idea on what's going wrong? thanks

My setup:

D620 Bios A10

CPU T5500

Intel gma950 0x27a2

2gb Ram

500gb Hdd

Hey Leppy,

I've been a happy D620 SL user for quite some time now and I'm trying to improve my setup a bit by trying your DSDT exploits. Up to now I had some artifacts on my GMA950 and sleep wasn't working, so I thought let's try your experimental zip file.

I've made a clean install just in case and followed your instructions on replacing the /Extra folder with the one from the zip file you provided. Replaced the boot file in / and rebuild the mkext file with your script.

After all of this my d620 boots quite normally, no strange errors during verbose startup but I end up wtith just a White screen, no mouse or anything.

Any idea on what's going wrong? thanks

My setup:

D620 Bios A10

CPU T5500

Intel gma950 0x27a2

2gb Ram

500gb Hdd

Make sure you are not running the Nvidia version. It's not going to work with the Intel GMA950 video.

Make sure you are not running the Nvidia version. It's not going to work with the Intel GMA950 video.

Hi There,

I am very unexperienced with this. But I would really like to get SL working on my D620 nv.

I tried the bootdisk for D620nvSL1 I think was the name. It boots and I can select the CD (bootcd) but then it returns an error and I get a nice multilangual screen that tells me to reboot right away. Thats it... I can not proceed..

Please assist.

Thanks,

lemans

Hi There,

I am very unexperienced with this. But I would really like to get SL working on my D620 nv.

I tried the bootdisk for D620nvSL1 I think was the name. It boots and I can select the CD (bootcd) but then it returns an error and I get a nice multilangual screen that tells me to reboot right away. Thats it... I can not proceed..

Please assist.

Thanks,

lemans

The boot cd is for initial boot up only. As soon as you get to the Chameleon boot menu, you'll need to switch to a copy of the Snow Leopard installation DVD. Please make sure you read through the guide and skim this thread.

Everything seems to work on my D630 (Intel 965 X3100) except c states and sleep. I can live without the c states, but the sleep issue is a problem.

Here's what I've noticed:

• The screen dims then turns off. If I click in the keyboard quickly enough, the screen turns back on
  • The screen turns off. After a certain amount of time (don't know how long), I have to hold down the power button to reboot. The screen will not turn back on.
  • At all times, the green power light never flashes.

Restart and shutdown both work. I've searched this thread and others on different boards. From what I read, there is a trade off between full graphics acceleration and sleep; you either have one or the other.

Anyway, if someone has any ideas please let me know. I do think I have extra kexts in my E/E folder. I'm going to start removing them one by one, and see what happens.