[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am facing an issue upgrading to 10.6.3. When I run the update and reboot my Dell 620 nv gets stuck during boot ( white screen with the circle thing moving forever).

Has someone a solution to overcome this?

In 10.6. I can not get even vlc running. I have audio but only a black screen. I have searched the forum but did not find a solution...

Please assist.

Verified 10.6.3 update renders AppleIntelGMA950 kext unusable. Output of booting with -v:

VoodooBattery.kext: VoodooBattery.kext 1.2.11 (Release) Sep 5 2009 08:31:34 [1068]
VoodooBattery.kext: Snow Leopard Pre-release (C) 2009 Superhal, All Rights Reserved
RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device
Loading VoodooHDR 8.2.1 (based on hdac version 20090401_0132
Controller: Intel 82801G (vendor ID: 8086, device ID: 27d8)
Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - library kext com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport not found.
Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 failed to load (0xdc00000e).
Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 (error 0xdc00000e).
Couldn't alloc class "Intel915"
Natit: Starting.
Natit: Found device with ID = 0x27A2

Hopefully someone can use those to help figure this problem out. I'm going to backup my user state and then have to reinstall snow leopard and revert back to 10.6.2 .... I pulled the dumbass stunt of updating in the middle of a video editing project and now i've really screwed the pooch, as with QE/CI gone I can't open iMovie or FCS.

All Guru's Thanks so much for this forum and specially the D620 / D630 topic.

I think I need to play around with the kext. Is there a link to a wiki on how to best isntall these? (And where to get them? ) I might need to buy a new pair of glasses as I browsed and could not find it ;) Sorry!!!

Can somebody point me to the right place?

Also still wondering is D620 with nvidia and broadcom wifi is better or the D630? (whith what specs :) )

Thanks from the Netherlands and Happy Easter!

Frans

Hey all, wondering if anyone can help me sort this issue out. I have a D820 and followed the SL install guide. Install went well, but ran into some issues:

-Airport- For some reason any of the access points/passwords/profiles aren't saved. I have the Dell Wireless (Broadcom 4321) inside. Everytime I reboot or shutdown, no profiles/access points are saved, so I have to manually enter the SSID's and passwords.

-Sleep/Standby- Would hang with a black screen. Fixed this by using SleepEnabler and this function is working now.

-Monitor Sleep- Monitor sleep would shut the monitor off, BUT would not let the monitor resume/wake up.

I am running 10.6.3

950 people, I suggest you look here and use it as starting point to patch your DSDT so that you can use vanilla kexts.

Thanks Consolation!!! This was the link I was looking for! Somehow I was to stupid to find it while searching. Thanks for pointing me there. This forum has been so helpful.

Frans

Noticing some artifacting when opening Stacks.

Also, when waking from sleep the Translucent menubar switches to the solid menubar.

Using Dell D620 with Nvidia graphics and patched DSDT provided in the first post along with the same Kexts.

M.

I've had a good success with a D620 Nvidia, and OK with a D820 Nvidia. Sleep is the big issue with these, but leppy's install is amazing. I find I have to set up the GUID partition and immediately install, restarting gets me a blinking cursor even if the disk is properly partitioned and erased. The D820 also won't boot from OSX, I have to put in the D620SLV1 and choose the OSX hard disk. I have a lot of reading to do!!

Thanks to Leppy and you other genius contributors! I wouldn't have a mac without you guys!!

Thanks!!

Mux

Noticing some artifacting when opening Stacks.

Also, when waking from sleep the Translucent menubar switches to the solid menubar.

Using Dell D620 with Nvidia graphics and patched DSDT provided in the first post along with the same Kexts.

M.

Try getting rid of the device string in the plist and use the attached kext instead. It makes for a bit longer boot, but wake from sleep is much smoother. Also, if you get your NVCAP values sorted it should make for easy dual screen/dock, hell it might even work oob. More info here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4

NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

Has anyone else tried SleepEnabler on their D-series? I've also noticed when the computer is back from sleep, sound is static-scratchy... only remedy is to reboot.

If you read the last few pages of the thread you will find your solution.

My attempt at NVCAP:

And attached is my bios dump, although NVflash can't read it directly so I'm bit iffy about it.

01D7.006C.006F.vga.rom.zip

Attached are my NV kexts:

NVDAResman & NVDANV40Hal with our device ID added; goes s/l/e

NVEnabler 64; the new hotness that should make all your ports etc work automagically - only hardcoded our device ID.

NVinjectGoD620 - Old school injector; hardcoded NVCAP and device ID, fast boot etc - Doesn't work well on SL... used to work well on 10.5.

Goes without saying; not for Intel folk.

OK upload went awol.

Here is a linky instead http://www.mediafire.com/?mr5j4zh2mhm

Arsecustard, I just dropped and killed my external LCD. %$^&* Managed to push it off the back of my desk with my laptop. Could NV D620s try the NVenabler kext and see how it works with external displays - I've got mirroring going but didn't get much past that...

Hi there,

my SL 10.6.2. runs pretty fine :P

the only"problem" i found actually is that i cant do "top" on the shell or open the "Activity monitor" in Utilities.

After opening "top" the system crashs...

any suggestions?

@Leppy

THANK YOU

I followed the instructions but i installed the osx on external drive. now when i am trying to run post script it is giving sudo password login in terminal. trying to put system password i set when i installed is not working also when i unmount the internal drive and run the post script command i just get blank terminal. I guess have to do manually what post script does...I have Dell 620D with Intel GMA 950 and intel wireless 3945 which i will be swapping with dell 1390 from another laptop....any pointers on how to fix postscript command or how to do manually what post script does. Thnx

BTW...very impressed with your work...this has been easiest and my first succesfull install on Intel

Try getting rid of the device string in the plist and use the attached kext instead. It makes for a bit longer boot, but wake from sleep is much smoother. Also, if you get your NVCAP values sorted it should make for easy dual screen/dock, hell it might even work oob. More info here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4

Works awesomely!

Although some strange artifacting going on in Stacks but when its okay its a lot faster than the ones provided by Leppy. Also it fixed the sleep problem i had and made all graphics a bit smoother. NICE!

M.

Works awesomely!

Although some strange artifacting going on in Stacks but when its okay its a lot faster than the ones provided by Leppy. Also it fixed the sleep problem i had and made all graphics a bit smoother. NICE!

M.

Try the kexts from here http://www.mediafire.com/?mr5j4zh2mhm

NVDAResman & NVDANV40Hal with our device ID added; goes into s/l/e

nvinject is there just for old times sake - bin it.

Try the kexts from here http://www.mediafire.com/?mr5j4zh2mhm

NVDAResman & NVDANV40Hal with our device ID added; goes into s/l/e

nvinject is there just for old times sake - bin it.

Installing them as we speak.

Do i need to hold the NVEnabler64.kext in e/e too?

Its working without them so im not sure if it should be somewhere!?

Also, as an update the 3945 drivers are going pretty smoothly. Mercurysquad has a new beta out for unsecured 11b and 11g connections.

Secured drivers with WPA and WPA2(if i remember correctly) are coming to beta in a few weeks time. So there might be a slight chance we can throw away our USB WiFi sticks and enjoy the summer with a solid Hack.

M.

Thanks Consolation!!! This was the link I was looking for! Somehow I was to stupid to find it while searching. Thanks for pointing me there. This forum has been so helpful.

Frans

Frans,

Since I upgraded my D620 to 10.6.3, I'm encountering the same problem as you described (GMA950 appears as NVIDIA graphic, no more Quartz acceleration). I'd rather not use the DSDT patch as I never managed to make the sound work with it. Can you explain with more details how you managed to fix the graphics problem? Thanks in advance!

Do i need to hold the NVEnabler64.kext in e/e too?

Its working without them so im not sure if it should be somewhere!?

I just added our device ids. I keep NVenabler in e/e the others in s/l/e where they usually live.

My next step is to have it load the extracted rom and patch it for our native resolution & allow it access to more than 64MB by setting beginning and end memory addresses. Since the dedicated memory is only 64bit GDDR, it might improve performance if we give it 128MB DDR2 to play with instead. It's slow going as I don't really have the free time to sit down for a long session. Also, before the next ice age, passing our native edids to boot so that we can get native res on boot -> no black bars or distorted grey apple.

But honestly, right now I'm just trying to get a clean vga rom out of the pos dell firmware, unfortunately it's not a separate video card bios and I'm not sure that the stuff I extract from shadow ROM is clean. Have a peak at the bios file I attached if you have any ideas.

I'm quite happy extracting bios and editing it from desktop cards, but this laptop thing is a whole bag of hurt.

Reporting from a CRT Display that is running on the side of my Hackintosh D620 usin consolation's drivers.

Pretty solid, the videocard is kind of coping with the 1280*800 resolution i get with the CRT. Artifacting in the Stacks region and while in screensaver mode.

The screensaver mode laggs on the CRT but completley artifacts on the LCD installed in the D620.

M.

hmmm...... can you get extended desktop or only mirrored displays? I'm going to get hold of another external display next week, right now my {censored} external LCD I used for testing is well and truly dead. I'll see if I can score something that can do more than 1024x768 this time.

Weird about artefacting, I only get some corruption on "magick" garageband.

hmmm...... can you get extended desktop or only mirrored displays? I'm going to get hold of another external display next week, right now my {censored} external LCD I used for testing is well and truly dead. I'll see if I can score something that can do more than 1024x768 this time.

Weird about artefacting, I only get some corruption on "magick" garageband.

Mirrored display makes the LCD go black. Im running an extended desktop.

I did a restart and it seems that the artifacts are gone. The screensaver works but its a bit laggy.

M.

Go to Kexts.com and get the sleepenabler.kext for your version of osx. 10.6.2 snf 10.6.3 both have fixed kexts available on there.

Has anyone else tried SleepEnabler on their D-series? I've also noticed when the computer is back from sleep, sound is static-scratchy... only remedy is to reboot.