[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi again,

I like to use two external monitors. One via DVI the other via Analog.

I tried verious settings when I use the monitors together with the Dell Portrelicator. It offers one DVI and one Analog connection.

I only get the internal screen and one analog display working.

Is there any way to use 2 monitores and expand on these?

Lemans

Has anyone been able to get the GMA950 hardware acceleration working under 10.6.3 yet?

I've tried a few kext's but always wind-up with a black screen after boot and need to reset back to the base ones that come with Leppy's disk.

Great information! I was able to install and updgrade to 10.6.2 on my d620 with no issues at all. Afterwards i installed win 7 on the second partition.

My first issue is when i boot up it went straight to windows and not the boot choice screen like it did in 10.5.8. To get this to happen i have to live in the original boot disk D620SLV1.iso.

My seconde issue is that i then installed the experimental kexts (d620in_03022010_e.zip) and thinking that could help issues and now i cannot seem to boot at all to windows either with or without the boot disk D620SLV1.iso. I am able to boot into os x but in win just get a cannot find boot file.

is there any fix to either of these problems? thanks in advance.

Great information! I was able to install and updgrade to 10.6.2 on my d620 with no issues at all. Afterwards i installed win 7 on the second partition.

My first issue is when i boot up it went straight to windows and not the boot choice screen like it did in 10.5.8. To get this to happen i have to live in the original boot disk D620SLV1.iso.

My seconde issue is that i then installed the experimental kexts (d620in_03022010_e.zip) and thinking that could help issues and now i cannot seem to boot at all to windows either with or without the boot disk D620SLV1.iso. I am able to boot into os x but in win just get a cannot find boot file.

is there any fix to either of these problems? thanks in advance.

I got dual booting osx and win7 doing this:

Boot into snow leopard and use terminal to do these commands

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

flag Z (Z = windows partition number, usually 3)

write

exit

now restart and boot the windows DVD and repair the bootloader

restart and windows now should boot right away

now in windows, goto start and run cmd

do these commands:

Diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 2

active

Restart and chameleon shoulld boot between osx and win7

I got dual booting osx and win7 doing this:

Boot into snow leopard and use terminal to do these commands

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

flag Z (Z = windows partition number, usually 3)

write

exit

now restart and boot the windows DVD and repair the bootloader

restart and windows now should boot right away

now in windows, goto start and run cmd

do these commands:

Diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 2

active

Restart and chameleon shoulld boot between osx and win7

i should say right away that i am not too familiar with mac terminal commands

ok i get an error when typing the first part in terminal

MacUser01s-Mac-Pro:~ macuser01$ fdisk -e /dev/rdsik0

fdisk: /dev/rdsik0: No such file or directory

MacUser01s-Mac-Pro:~ macuser01$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Password:

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1>

below is the diskutil list

MacUser01s-Mac-Pro:~ macuser01$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *80.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Hackintosh 40.0 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data 39.7 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: CD_partition_scheme *31.9 MB disk1

1: Apple_partition_scheme 27.8 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1s1

3: Apple_HFS D620SLV1.iso 27.6 MB disk1s1s2

what am i missing or doing wrong?

thanks in advance,

Thank you for the suggestion, but i am hoping to resolve this issue without having to resize my hard drive and reinstall win 7.

The do the last step with easybcd.. :D

//--> Leon Bollerup

--------------------------------------------------------

My Company: SABAS Online backup

My Blog: Leon Bollerup

Here's how I did it step by step:

sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

fdisk: 1> flag 3

Partition 3 marked active.

fdisk:*1> write

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> exit

then restart the computer with windows dvd and repair bootloader

windows should boot now and run cmd

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 2

active

now restart and chameleon should boot now and you should be able boot both

Here's how I did it step by step:

sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

fdisk: 1> flag 3

Partition 3 marked active.

fdisk:*1> write

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> exit

then restart the computer with windows dvd and repair bootloader

windows should boot now and run cmd

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 2

active

now restart and chameleon should boot now and you should be able boot both

This worked great and solved my booting into win 7 issue!

The only thing i have an issue now is having to use the D620SLV1.iso disk to boot into chameleon. I am not sure why it is not booting from the installed chameleon as i ran the post_install.command file that you are supposed to when installing 10.6.

Well i reinstalled the post_install.command and it booted to either but again the win 7 boot got an error and would not load. So i redid the terminal commands in mac then redid bootloader steps in win 7, along with cmd prompt steps. Now it is working along with chameleon!!

This worked great and solved my booting into win 7 issue!

The only thing i have an issue now is having to use the D620SLV1.iso disk to boot into chameleon. I am not sure why it is not booting from the installed chameleon as i ran the post_install.command file that you are supposed to when installing 10.6.

Well i reinstalled the post_install.command and it booted to either but again the win 7 boot got an error and would not load. So i redid the terminal commands in mac then redid bootloader steps in win 7, along with cmd prompt steps. Now it is working along with chameleon!!

Good to hear.

Hey, i did some searching but didn't have any luck with trying to find out which key is mapped to be the mac fn key. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, i should say this now, Insanelymac and this thread are great! thanks to all who have posted in the past and made it able to run oxs on my D620!

Hey, i did some searching but didn't have any luck with trying to find out which key is mapped to be the mac fn key. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, i should say this now, Insanelymac and this thread are great! thanks to all who have posted in the past and made it able to run oxs on my D620!

it doesnt matter. i pressed a random button then it failed to recognize that key, but it continued installing anyway. and i got no problem with that.

it doesnt matter. i pressed a random button then it failed to recognize that key, but it continued installing anyway. and i got no problem with that.

no offense, but huh!?! This has nothing to do with installation (as I have successfully installed it) but to what key represents the Fn key. That is what I am wanting to find out.

Disclaimer:

Back up before doing anything and know how to boot in -s mode to edit stuff in your /Extra/Extension folder in case you can't get things to work. Don't blame me if you screw up and this is probably easier if you know how to use command line.

I did this a few days ago, so hopefully I didn't miss a step.

Thanks to everyone who actually did the work, I did nothing except gather information from this forum.

NOTES:

I am running 10.6.3 on a D820 GMA950 w/a 32-bit cpu (T2600) at 1680x1050. I have QE/CI, ability to change resolutions on internal and external display, NO MORE ARTIFACTS, and the ability to rotate an external display (i.e., portrait mode for reading/writing). I can watch 1080p mkv videos in Plex with no stutter.

Here's how:

1. Installed SL using the method outlined here and apply all the updates, rebooting when prompted. After installing 10.6.3, QE/CI is gone. Don't ask for help getting to this point, this thread is filled with how to do that.

2. Go into /Extra/Extensions and remove these files:

AppleIntel*

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

Natit.kext

3. run rebuild_mkext.command in the /Extra/Extensions folder

4. Using OSX86Tools, add the GFX string for intel gma 950 (laptop) to com.apple.boot.plist IN YOUR /EXTRA/EXTENSIONS file. If you forget to do this, your internal display will not be detected once the desktop loads and you'll need to plug in an external display. Mine reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>6d0000000100000001000000610000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400
100000006d006f00640065006c0000000b000000474d4120393530200000004100410050004c002c004800610073005
00061006e0065006c0000000800000001000000</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

5a. Download and install Screen Sleeper Solution http://www.mediafire.com/?kjkdvzy2nnd (this fixes the black screen).

And/or

5b. Go into System Preferences, enable Expose and set at least one active screen corner to "put display to sleep" (this is more of a failsafe if you need to wake up the black screen--if you get a black screen on boot move the mouse to the corner, wait a second and move it away).

6. Cross your fingers and reboot.

Known issues:

If you plan to use multiple monitors, by default mirror mode is used when you plug in. This results in a garbled green screen. To get around this, install MirrorDisplay before plugging in an external display and read this:

http://www.fabiancanas.com/Projects/MirrorDisplays/

If you use a dock, the DVI port doesn't seem to work (although VGA is fine).

Gentle bump. So has no one tried this model of laptop?

Installed using the OP cd method on a d420 that I use for my daughter. Everything worked fine except sleep/wake and it seems that is never going to work on this model. So while the laptop was very useable & stable the inability to just close the lid then come back to it was quite important for me. Not so much for other people but it was for me with a six year old using the machine.

So I have put Win7 on it for now. If ever the sleep/wake issue was solved I would revert back in a shot.

Never tried DSDT. I just don't feel confident or knowledgeable enough but may its time to start tinkering again.

Hope this helps.

This was meant to be a private message to Leppy but apparently he has it disabled :(

Hey dude.

Found your guide on the forum about 3 weeks ago and was really excited to try it out.

To make a reeeaaaally long story short, I ended up uninstalling my main OS (Windows 7) and had two Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) partitions.

On one I had installed iPC 10.5.8 which worked like a charm.

On the other, I restored the dmg of Snow Leopard Retail Installation, and thought I would be able to use your Snow Leopard boot CD to boot into it and install.

It didn't work out so great, I can't boot into the Retail Snow Leopard install disc. It hangs at the white apple screen with the circular thingy.

So basically I have:

• A working 10.5.8 (iPC)

• A partition with Snow Leopard Retail Installation DMG burned onto it.

• Your Boot-132 iso for 10.6.

What's my next step?

Did u read the info on the first few posts? If not, you need to.

For u to install with these install discs, it must be installed in the first partition (that is the first partition must be mac). This worked like a champ for me.

Only issue I ran into was getting chameleon to boot both and not get a win 7 boot error. But on prior page (53) I got instruction on just how to fix issue.

hope this helps, if not, just disregard.

OK what is your laptop model? I have a D620, but knowing the model may help others help you out.

If it is one of the following;

quoting leppy's 2nd post of this thread.

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

•Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

•Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

I think you said you used the

So basically I have:

•A working 10.5.8 (iPC)

•A partition with Snow Leopard Retail Installation DMG burned onto it.

•Your Boot-132 iso for 10.6.

I think you need to use the D620SLV1.iso, not the boot-132 iso and follow the following instructions from the 2nd post of leppy's;

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

If desired, download and install the 10.6.1 updates from software updates in OS X.

Again i am new to this and if i am way off, just disregard. Also I am assuming you are using one of the models leppy described above.

I have a Dell D620 and full legal retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3, purchased today.

I tried the D620SLV1 boot disk, followed by booting the SL DVD.

The Install DVD is accessed a few times, but I never get anything past the gray apple screen and spinner.

Thanks for any helpl.

I think you need to start with 10.6.0 then work your way up to 10.6.1 then do 10.6.2 and then stop. 10.6.3 i think is very temperamental. You can find a backup copy of 10.6.0 on torrent sites like demonoid etc... PM me if you want more info.

Well, I am borrowing my wife's D620 this week for a conference (her machine has a working battery - my D820 does not). Luckily, hers has the DW1390 card and the NVidia card as well. I swapped hard drives and prayed....

And everything worked out perfectly. Been using the 620 with no issues at all. It's pretty alright. I may not give it back!!

So here's a question for you guys - did we ever get to the point where sleep works with the 620? Anyone with the same config as I've got (DW1390, NVS110M, blah blah) have any success with it?