[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

This is running great on my D620. My friend as a similar model, the only difference is I have 2 gigs of ram and he has 1. I get an error "Memory Allocation Error (Ox4382c50, 0x0) when I try to swap out the boot cd for his Snow Leopard Retail DVD. I've tried external DVD drives and get the same error.

Any ideas?

I've tried several different settings in the BIOS, but it doesn't seem to help. FYI, we are running the same BIOS A10.

First make sure you are using the correct boot CD for Snow Leopard. Then make sure you are really using a retail CD and not a CD that was provided with a new MAC - that's not retail. If all that checks out, borrow his DVD drive and install from that - or stuff your HD in his machine and install there - then swap back.

I am also a little confused - you say it's running great on your D620 and then you get a memory error when you try to start the install DVD.

I'm no expert, but I'm glad that I was able to help out by collating the relevant info so that it was more easily accessible. You're right on that the only way forward from here is actually studying the ACPI specification and doing some honest-to-god coding. It's a tough slog, but there you are.

For my own part, I'm not likely to be pursuing this DSDT stuff much further on the D620 because as of yesterday, my primary computer is a MacBook Pro. I'll still be running OS X on my desktop computer, but it's been nailed down in terms of DSDT patches since the override became available last year.

I'll probably still follow this thread out of interest's sake. Best of luck to all of you and thanks to leppy for all the hard work! :)

Congrats on the acquisition of the Macbook Pro. I am sure you'll love it. I am sure that someday I'll own one.

Thanks for your contribution and I look forward to seeing you around the board.

I've updated the first post on page 1 with my latest DSDT and Extra contents. Sound and ethernet have been stripped out to test changes. Test at your own risk, and please use the correct download.

There's an error in the smbios.plist file. To quote plisteditor "There was an error reading the property list file (The file /Users/consolation/Downloads/Extra 2/smbios.plist could not be opened because an error occurred parsing the file.

Encountered unexpected character k on line 13).Would you like to open the raw text of the file instead?"

here's the problem

" <string>D620/string> "

should be

"<string>D620</string>"

I've attached my smbios plist. I don't think there's need to set maxclock as it'll vary from machine to machine; and it's autodetected just fine.

smbios.plist.zip

Your new extra folder works fine with my d620. Weirdly (despite kext cache rebuilds and permission repair) first boot KPs, second boot ok only with -f but no ps2 support, following boots are golden. Tried it 3 times, always same sequence when swapping my old extra folder for yours - I've only kept my smbios.plist and *boot.plist; odd. I get consistently faster boot up times with your new dsdt. Leppy, are you rocking VoodooPowerMini.kext in your s/l/e?

SA22C sad to hear you go, fully get where you're coming from. If I didn't need a laptop that I can afford to get trashed in the back of a ute, I don't known if I'd persevere with hacky laptops. Desktops are so much less of a pita than these things. Leppy, thanks for all your hard work. Any chance you can log your dsdt edits so we don't cover same ground? Perhaps chuck it on sourceforge? TBH, I've got fa time to spend on this at the moment, but one day, one day. (Probably next time I catch something that makes me bed ridden, stupid tradeshows...)

There's an error in the smbios.plist file. To quote plisteditor "There was an error reading the property list file (The file /Users/consolation/Downloads/Extra 2/smbios.plist could not be opened because an error occurred parsing the file.

Encountered unexpected character k on line 13).Would you like to open the raw text of the file instead?"

here's the problem

" <string>D620/string> "

should be

"<string>D620</string>"

I've attached my smbios plist. I don't think there's need to set maxclock as it'll vary from machine to machine; and it's autodetected just fine.

yeah, that smbios is pure {censored}, though it doesn't seem to matter much.

Desktops are so much less of a pita than these things.....

You said a mouthful there - I've got three desktops that run SL perfectly - they are stable, sleep works, display sleep works, I mean everything works - perfectly. Running their intended OS (Windows) these laptop machines act like the spawn of Satan. Although it's unlikely they'll ever behave perfectly with Snow Leopard, they run pretty well - better than they do with any version of Windows.

Are you listening Microsoft? Most definitely not.

But we can pretend, and if you were listening, we'd like to tell you that your OS (and those directing it's development) need some rectal-cranial inversion. Maybe swallow that huge ego you have and build WIN8 on a linux kernel and start charging a fair price for your products. Then maybe we could have a widely supported OS that doesn't get shot in the head immediately at deployment by the latest virus definition files.

If your lappy is booting faster, it's probably because there are missing kexts for ethernet and sound.

I did find something to shorten that "waiting for dsmos" or whatever message at boot - seems when root doesn't own /, it confuses the process some. just do a

sudo chown root:wheel /

okay, I'll document my DSDT changes.

I hope to be joining SA22C in the very near future, as soon as Apple refreshes the line. There's a rumor that the mini will get an HDMI port, so hopefully that means other hardware changes are afoot...like USB 3.0 on board(!!!). Soon as they update the 13" MacBook Pro, I'm in.

Til then I'll just have to enjoy my D630 with the rapid diminishing battery (albeit 9 cell) but no sleep. At least I have all of my OS X apps at hand.

I hope to be joining SA22C in the very near future, as soon as Apple refreshes the line. There's a rumor that the mini will get an HDMI port, so hopefully that means other hardware changes are afoot...like USB 3.0 on board(!!!). Soon as they update the 13" MacBook Pro, I'm in.

Til then I'll just have to enjoy my D630 with the rapid diminishing battery (albeit 9 cell) but no sleep. At least I have all of my OS X apps at hand.

I think we're close to getting sleep working properly on the D630. Mine wakes, but cursor/focus are squirrely on wake from full sleep. I just haven't had time to sort that out.

I'd also like a Macbook Pro. Funny, because before I started playing with hacks, I had no interest in Apple hardware.

I've got a couple errands to run, but if you need another D630 to test on, I'll be home in a bit and I've got plenty of time since I was laid off last week. I'd be happy to try out whatever you come up with. Also, I'm a tech writer by trade so I wouldn't mind taking a crack at consolidating the instructions into a single, updated, all-inclusive set at least for the D630 since I've tried those. I could do the D620, too, if you just provide the material so I can organize it and make steps.

I think we're close to getting sleep working properly on the D630. Mine wakes, but cursor/focus are squirrely on wake from full sleep. I just haven't had time to sort that out.

I've got a couple errands to run, but if you need another D630 to test on, I'll be home in a bit and I've got plenty of time since I was laid off last week. I'd be happy to try out whatever you come up with.
It's posted at the bottom of the second post on page one - the SL guide.

If your lappy is booting faster, it's probably because there are missing kexts for ethernet and sound.

Nah, I keep them in s/l/e, otherwise they occasionally go flakey on wake from sleep. Hibernate "works" btw, but you loose RTC sync so you get mouse stutter and laptop is dog slow, if I run it with a single core it's all good. Not something I'm willing to put up with for the sake of hibernation - which I never use tbh.

Here's what happened.

1. I made a SuperDuper backup of my system to an external USB drive.

2. I downloaded d630nv_03022010.zip from the 2nd post on page 1.

3. I expanded the ZIP file and pasted my UUID into platformuuid.kext.

(show contents of it then open plist in textedit)

4. I made a copy of my existing /Extra folder.

5. I copied everything from the ZIP file into my /Extra folder.

I had a bunch of other kexts, but I refrained from adding them back. I'm leaving it all as leppy provides.

6. I reran the rebuild kext script.

7. In terminal, I used "sudo mv boot /" to get leppy's boot file to the root of my hard drive.

8. I shut down and restarted.

9. I selected sleep from the apple menu and it went to sleep (awwwww).

When it woke up (from pressing power button), there was the forewarned focus problem.

10. I selected restart from the apple menu and it restarted, although it took foreeeeeever to finish the last little bit.

11. I'm back in front of a working system (Dell D630 with NVidia).

I'll take it, man. It's got sleep and restart, even if I don't have sound anymore.

Here's the list of kexts I'd been running with, gathered from other forums and posts for the D630:

AppleACPIThermal.kext

AppleAirPort.kext (definitely not necessary now that I've got a Dell 1490)

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (never did get Ethernet working, but not important now with the 1490)

AppleRTC.kext

Disabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext (I may put this back in if I get a firewire PC card)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPower.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

...... It's got sleep and restart, even if I don't have sound anymore.
You can probably add the sound kexts back in okay. I am less sure about the ethernet kext. I need more time to fiddle with the D630. I had display sleep working fine. Full sleep also had sound issues on wake as well as focus issues.

Nah, I keep them in s/l/e, otherwise they occasionally go flakey on wake from sleep. Hibernate "works" btw, but you loose RTC sync so you get mouse stutter and laptop is dog slow, if I run it with a single core it's all good. Not something I'm willing to put up with for the sake of hibernation - which I never use tbh.
D620nv hibernate (I call it full sleep) works fine here - fast and reliable with no issue on wake. Display sleep does not.

First make sure you are using the correct boot CD for Snow Leopard. Then make sure you are really using a retail CD and not a CD that was provided with a new MAC - that's not retail. If all that checks out, borrow his DVD drive and install from that - or stuff your HD in his machine and install there - then swap back.

I am also a little confused - you say it's running great on your D620 and then you get a memory error when you try to start the install DVD.

Let me try to clarify. I have a D620. I used your install procedure for Snow Leopard and everything worked fine for me. I have a retail SL DVD that I used for my install. I also insisted that my friend get his own retail DVD for his install. Both install DVDs have the same product code, both notebooks are D620's

The hardware is exactly the same on both notebooks, except I have 2 GB of ram, he has 1. I used my dsdt.aml on his notebook. Is there anything I have to do with the dsdt? I extracted the dsdt from both notebooks using Ubuntu LiveCD and then compared with your's and made appropriate changes to mine. No matter what, I can't get his notebook to boot up all the way.

I hope this clears some things up.

Let me try to clarify. I have a D620. I used your install procedure for Snow Leopard and everything worked fine for me. I have a retail SL DVD that I used for my install. I also insisted that my friend get his own retail DVD for his install. Both install DVDs have the same product code, both notebooks are D620's

The hardware is exactly the same on both notebooks, except I have 2 GB of ram, he has 1. I used my dsdt.aml on his notebook. Is there anything I have to do with the dsdt? I extracted the dsdt from both notebooks using Ubuntu LiveCD and then compared with your's and made appropriate changes to mine. No matter what, I can't get his notebook to boot up all the way.

I hope this clears some things up.

I'd try it without the DSDT, using the original post install from the boot cd. If that works, start fresh and make a DSDT for his machine. It's very possible the DSDT could cause a problem - particularly when used on a machine with less memory than the machine it was produced with.

You can probably add the sound kexts back in okay. I am less sure about the ethernet kext. I need more time to fiddle with the D630. I had display sleep working fine. Full sleep also had sound issues on wake as well as focus issues.

D620nv hibernate (I call it full sleep) works fine here - fast and reliable with no issue on wake. Display sleep does not.

I added the audio family kext back, rebuilt the file and restarted, but still no audio. There's only 1 obvious audio kext (the uh one with audio in the name)...what other kexts would qualify for inclusion in the audio bunch?

I'd like to report that I got full sleep working on my D620 with Intel GMA 950 graphics. But there are caveats.

Snow Leopard: updated to 10.6.2 with no problems.

Kexts in Extra folder:

1) I use the package posted by Leppy a few pages back, labeled "d620gma950_021510_kexts.zip," since this gets rid of the screen artifacts (mouse cursor artifacts in MS Word) and gets display sleep to work.

2) I also added a trackpad kext for edge scrolling (like in Windows if you install touchpad driver from Dell); this kext was extracted from a package called "trackpad 32bits-side scroll-alps.zip" posted earlier by another user (sorry I forgot the name).

3) I also added the power management kexts from "PM_Kexts.zip" posted earlier as well.

4) For sleep, I'm using the SleepEnabler.kext downloaded from here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list

I've tried both versions for 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 and both work.

Here are the caveats:

1)In System Preferences>Security, make sure to put a check mark on both "Require password immediately after sleep…begins" and "Disable automatic login"

2) To enable sleep, click the Apple logo on the Menu bar and then choose Sleep. Once it goes to sleep, you can leave the lid open or close the lid. If the lid is opened, you wake it up by pushing the power button. If the lid is closed, simply open the lid and the computer awakes.

Simply closing the lid without clicking Sleep from the menu bar will do nothing.

If you push the Power button and choose Sleep from the popup menu, you will enter a "deep sleep" mode (similar to "hibernate" in Windows) but you won't be able to get back to the login screen unless you boot the computer using Leppy's boot CD.

Display sleep still works.

Thanks again Leppy and all the other contributors for making further progress on this project.

You can probably add the sound kexts back in okay. I am less sure about the ethernet kext.

I find that they only work properly in s/l/e not in e/e/, ethernet needs device id added iirc.

Are we talking about the same thing? Hibernate is when your computer stores ram to file and shuts down. To restart you go through a reboot, select drive in cham as normal. You then get the progress bar at bottom on top of a whitewashed screen shot. If you have it working and I don't, guess I'll roll my sleeves up. I've removed the second card from the wwan slot so that our systems are as close as possible.

I added the audio family kext back, rebuilt the file and restarted, but still no audio. There's only 1 obvious audio kext (the uh one with audio in the name)...what other kexts would qualify for inclusion in the audio bunch?

Try putting the attached kexts in /system/library/extensions/ then use Kext Utility.app (attached to one of the earlier posts in this thread) not rebuild_mkext.command to fix system up. Reboot.

3) I also added the power management kexts from "PM_Kexts.zip" posted earlier as well.

You should just use VoodooPowerMini.kext if you need it for speedstep; others do nothing especially AppleThermalACPI.kext.

4) For sleep, I'm using the SleepEnabler.kext downloaded from here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list

You shouldn't need it, in fact, it screws up proper sleep with patched DSDT

1)In System Preferences>Security, make sure to put a check mark on both "Require password immediately after sleep…begins" and "Disable automatic login"

Simply closing the lid without clicking Sleep from the menu bar will do nothing.

If you push the Power button and choose Sleep from the popup menu, you will enter a "deep sleep" mode (similar to "hibernate" in Windows) but you won't be able to get back to the login screen unless you boot the computer using Leppy's boot CD.

This sounds really screwy, I think that's the result of using sleepenabler.kext You can have normal, fully working sleep with A10 bios plus pached dsdt.

kexts.zip

I find that they only work properly in s/l/e not in e/e/, ethernet needs device id added iirc.

This sounds really screwy, I think that's the result of using sleepenabler.kext You can have normal, fully working sleep with A10 bios plus pached dsdt.

I think we're talking about different machines. My D620 Nvidia sleeps fine (deep/full only - no display only sleep, no hibernate) has fully working audio and ethernet.

the D630 NV behaves very differently. Folks, when we discuss these things, lets make sure we say with what machines what issues we are dealing with, otherwise we're never going to be on the same page.

I'd like to report that I got full sleep working on my D620 with Intel GMA 950 graphics. But there are caveats.

Snow Leopard: updated to 10.6.2 with no problems.

Kexts in Extra folder:

1) I use the package posted by Leppy a few pages back, labeled "d620gma950_021510_kexts.zip," since this gets rid of the screen artifacts (mouse cursor artifacts in MS Word) and gets display sleep to work.

2) I also added a trackpad kext for edge scrolling (like in Windows if you install touchpad driver from Dell); this kext was extracted from a package called "trackpad 32bits-side scroll-alps.zip" posted earlier by another user (sorry I forgot the name).

Here are the caveats:

2) To enable sleep, click the Apple logo on the Menu bar and then choose Sleep. Once it goes to sleep, you can leave the lid open or close the lid. If the lid is opened, you wake it up by pushing the power button. If the lid is closed, simply open the lid and the computer awakes.

Display sleep still works.

Thanks again Leppy and all the other contributors for making further progress on this project.

This with the DSDT I posted?

Next, I am going to try adding some DSDT fixes for sound. It would be pretty cool to get that going. There are a few patches for that out there that I haven't really looked at yet. I'll start that right after I get what I already have documented.

Leppy,

Latitude D630 using your DSDT

3. Move boot from the new /Extra folder to /

I try to copy boot from /Extra folder to the root and getting this error message

The item "boot" can't be replaced because it's invisible.

Is there any other way to copy this to the root.

Leppy,

I try to copy boot from /Extra folder to the root and getting this error message

You have to do the copy in Terminal and know where you are. For example, I opened the zip file on my Desktop (on the D630!!!) in a folder called "Working". I then opened Terminal and typed:

sudo cp /Users/me/Desktop/Working/Extra/boot /

You should have to authenticate and then it'll do the copy. Note the spaces, especially after "boot". The command works as follows:

1. Runs as root: "sudo"

2. Copies: "cp"

3. From where I extracted the file: "/Users/me/Desktop/Working/Extra/boot"

4. To the root folder: "/"

All you have to do is adjust the path to your particulars such as user name and folder name.

Leppy,

yep, in terminal

sudo cp /Extra/boot /

You have to do the copy in Terminal and know where you are. For example, I opened the zip file on my Desktop (on the D630!!!) in a folder called "Working". I then opened Terminal and typed:

You should have to authenticate and then it'll do the copy. Note the spaces, especially after "boot". The command works as follows:

All you have to do is adjust the path to your particulars such as user name and folder name.

Thank you and consolation for the quick response I'll let you guy know if it work or not I'm keeping my finger cross.

Alright guy everything is working as it describe, I even got my sound back and Ethernet is also working as well, thx to all that help make this latitude model working. Looking forward for the shutdown mode in the future.