[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

If only I could get sleep working I would be truly happy.

Sorry you're not truly happy, but if all that's standing between you and complete tranquility is digital insomnia, then buy a Macbook!

Hi:

Question - is there a way to disable Tap-To-Click on the D620 trackpad? Thanks again to all for all your hard work!

I haven't found one.

i just wanted to say thanx for all the work you did. this is the best thing that's ever happened to this dell. SL 10.6.2 is running fine no issues updating. one panic while booting, i rebooted and there's been no issues since. thanx again.

i just wanted to say thanx for all the work you did. this is the best thing that's ever happened to this dell.

Thank you. I agree - these are machines that are becoming somewhat dated now and a lot of people are buying newer equipment. That means they can be found on the cheap often for less money than a netbook with 10.1 inch screen - and in the end they are much nicer.

Ditto to all the praise thrown upon Leppy for the files and the tutorial. I've now got me a nicely-running D620 with 10.6.2.

I as well echo all the sentiment about the desire to get sleep working, but I'll gladly wait the 4 mins (or so) too boot up.

Nice work!

as soon as there is a good Intel 3945 driver for snow leopard, I will be all over this for my D620. . .

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Instead, I'd bite the bullet and buy a DW 1490 on Ebay for under $20.00 usd.

These machine will fit two wireless cards, so you can retain the Intel card for Linux if you like. Just disable one or the other in Windows.

Has there been an alternative to running 10.6.2 without reverting to 32 bit?....BTW what is the (dis)advantage if I went 32 or conversely - any advantage to going to 10.6.2?

Finally - I swear - I've been trying to find it - but how do I throttle down to 32bit? Is it just disabling the dual processor?

TIA

Has there been an alternative to running 10.6.2 without reverting to 32 bit?....BTW what is the (dis)advantage if I went 32 or conversely - any advantage to going to 10.6.2?

Finally - I swear - I've been trying to find it - but how do I throttle down to 32bit? Is it just disabling the dual processor?

TIA

No, it has nothing to do with disabling anything in the processor and everything to do with how kextcaches are built and what flags are in Boot.plist. In order to build a 64-bit kextcache, you must have 64-bit compatible kexts.

Right now there isn't much advantage with 64 bit with these laptops since they don't support a lot of memory and most applications are still 32 bit. In the future, the application mix is bound to change.

The Nvidia machines could probably run 64 bit, but I messed up the script that builds the 64 bit Extensions.mkext and puts the flag in Boot.plist. The GMA950 Lattitudes seem to be stuck at 32 bit until we figure out how to get away from 16 bit kexts needed to get the internal display working. My boot CD defaults at 32 bit, and at this point, it's not a huge deal to run 32 bit.

:) Hello everyone. I have the d620 with the intel graphics. I had 10.5.8 working perfectly via ideneb 10.5.8 lite edition dvd install.. My video passed through my docking station and allowed me to use my external monitor without a hitch as the primary, no extending. The only thing I had to switch to extrenal via function and f8 prior to launching macos. I also upgraded chameleon via the package that is out there to 2 rc4 - worked perfectly.

Here is the problem:

I purchased the os 6.0 / installed via the boot cd D620SLV1 as posted in this thread. All went well after a few times. I noticed if the laptop was in the docking station I could not install. So, I installed not connected to the docking station. Afterwards, booted perfectly. I then connected to the docking station, and it never boots, - after the initinal screen, the twirling circle, the screen goes blue, and that is it. If I disconnect the dock, it boots fine - any reason ? 10.5.8 worked fine.

If I connect the monitor to the laptop it extends fine. I do not want this just want to use the monitor as primary display, as I did when using 10.5.8 Ideneb lite edition.

Also, I tried the chameleon 2rc4 udate package, boom, dead laptop. after the boot screen comes on, it goes to never never land. Any Ideas??

Ok I figured out to upgrade to rc4 just repaply the correct video kext. Still having the dock issue though... No pass through of video...

:P Hello everyone. I have the d620 with the intel graphics. I had 10.5.8 working perfectly via ideneb 10.5.8 lite edition dvd install.. My video passed through my docking station and allowed me to use my external monitor without a hitch as the primary, no extending. The only thing I had to switch to extrenal via function and f8 prior to launching macos. I also upgraded chameleon via the package that is out there to 2 rc4 - worked perfectly.

Here is the problem:

I purchased the os 6.0 / installed via the boot cd D620SLV1 as posted in this thread. All went well after a few times. I noticed if the laptop was in the docking station I could not install. So, I installed not connected to the docking station. Afterwards, booted perfectly. I then connected to the docking station, and it never boots, - after the initinal screen, the twirling circle, the screen goes blue, and that is it. If I disconnect the dock, it boots fine - any reason ? 10.5.8 worked fine.

If I connect the monitor to the laptop it extends fine. I do not want this just want to use the monitor as primary display, as I did when using 10.5.8 Ideneb lite edition.

Also, I tried the chameleon 2rc4 udate package, boom, dead laptop. after the boot screen comes on, it goes to never never land. Any Ideas??

Here is the problem:

I take it you are using a VGA monitor? You might try plugging a DVI to VGA adapter into the DVI port of the dock.

Many video kexts were updated since 10.5.8. I guess you could revert back to all the video kexts you used in 10.5.8.

I take it you are using a VGA monitor? You might try plugging a DVI to VGA adapter into the DVI port of the dock.

Many video kexts were updated since 10.5.8. I guess you could revert back to all the video kexts you used in 10.5.8.

Hello Leppy

I tried a DVI to DVI cable, since my lcd uses dvi with my other computer - same thing nothing...

It is just strange, as soon as I conect the laptop to the dock nothing. I have tried booting off of your boot disk, while connected to the dock, and just use the laptop screen. When I switch the cds to the mac install dvd, and press enter screen goesd blank, and then nothing.

So, it is just not after a full install, even while trying to install.

Any thoughts?

I also tried putting a low profile pci 8400 nvidia card in the pci slot i the docking station, natta..

Thanks

Brian

BR

Hello Leppy,

I figured it out.

I did a full re-install. Same issue, I then installed the disabler kext, pcimcia kext, system profiler kext, and chameleon 2 rc4, and then everything worked perfectly. In and out of docking station.

THanks for your help.

Brian

Hello Leppy

I tried a DVI to DVI cable, since my lcd uses dvi with my other computer - same thing nothing...

It is just strange, as soon as I conect the laptop to the dock nothing. I have tried booting off of your boot disk, while connected to the dock, and just use the laptop screen. When I switch the cds to the mac install dvd, and press enter screen goesd blank, and then nothing.

So, it is just not after a full install, even while trying to install.

Any thoughts?

I also tried putting a low profile pci 8400 nvidia card in the pci slot i the docking station, natta..

Thanks

Brian

BR

Sadly, no. A lot of people have worked on this. Some report some success when the bios is set to use a password on resume. It never worked reliably for me.

Sleep works just fine. You're just not doing it right. ;)

In the Extra folder, I have the following .kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub

fakesmc

VoodooBattery

VoodooPS2Controller

VoodooTSCSync

My DSDT has been patched to fix USB ports using the method posted here, and I have removed IRQ entries from RTC, TMR and PIC as indicated here. I have also modified my HPET device so that it doesn't conflict with my USB ports by using IOReg to find unused IRQs and hard-coding those entries in the DSDT, similar to what was posted here. After those fixes were made, I installed the aserebln bootloader from here, which auto-magically includes restart, UUID and SMBIOS fixes.

The final result is that my D620 has speed-step (but not c-states, sadly) and all devices are functioning and available to the OS. Sleep, shutdown and restart work like a charm. The key is to use as few .kexts in the Extra folder as possible.

Sleep works just fine. You're just not doing it right. :(

AppleACPIPS2Nub

fakesmc

VoodooBattery

VoodooPS2Controller

VoodooTSCSync

My DSDT has been patched to fix USB ports using the method posted here, and I have removed IRQ entries from RTC, TMR and PIC as indicated here. I have also modified my HPET device so that it doesn't conflict with my USB ports by using IOReg to find unused IRQs and hard-coding those entries in the DSDT, similar to what was posted here. After those fixes were made, I installed the aserebln bootloader from here, which auto-magically includes restart, UUID and SMBIOS fixes.

The final result is that my D620 has speed-step (but not c-states, sadly) and all devices are functioning and available to the OS. Sleep, shutdown and restart work like a charm. The key is to use as few .kexts in the Extra folder as possible.

please post your dsdt.

Here's what's going on there - it's actually seeing your laptop's display and the external display as two separate displays, and the laptop display is the primary, with your menu bar and all the stuff. Your external display has nothing on it, so it gives you a stock blue background. What you want to do in that instance is, with the machine docked, open the display on your laptop, navigate to the Display Preferences control panel, and in the Arrangement tab, click "Mirror Displays."

That will get you set up the way you want. I had the same thing.

Here's my DSDT, but it bears noting that sleep worked on this D620 out-of-the-box, provided that I was not using a disabler.kext and was allowing HPET and IntelPowerManagement to load properly. The quickest way to make that happen is to use the DSDT patcher to create a base DSDT file with the HPET fix and set your model to MacBookPro5,1 in the SMBios.plist. For whatever reason, setting your model to that (or one of several others like MacPro3,1 or iMac9,1) particular one allows OS X to at least access the P-States for the CPU, but not the C-States.

dsdt.txt

Here's my DSDT, but it bears noting that sleep worked on this D620 out-of-the-box, provided that I was not using a disabler.kext and was allowing HPET and IntelPowerManagement to load properly. The quickest way to make that happen is to use the DSDT patcher to create a base DSDT file with the HPET fix and set your model to MacBookPro5,1 in the SMBios.plist. For whatever reason, setting your model to that (or one of several others like MacPro3,1 or iMac9,1) particular one allows OS X to at least access the P-States for the CPU, but not the C-States.

Okay, somehow you have managed to do something impossible. And awesome. Or so it seems to me.

Could you explain in simple instructions what I would have to do to make this happen for my D620?

I don't see a disabler.kext in my /Extra/Extensions folder, so that's okay then?

Do I need to remove all the extensions you didn't mention in your previous post?

HPet? Has this something to do with the bios settings?

And how about IntelPowerManagement?

Where do I leave this DSDT file?

Setting my model to MacBookPro5,1 in the SMBios.plist, okay I could do that, but where is it?

I know, Google is your friend and all that, but there are so many hits on all of these subjects, I really don't have time for that. ( I have 7 demanding children, a nagging wife and a job, so please excuse me for being a total dickhead.)

P.S

I have a Intel graphics card, would that be a problem with your dsdt file?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Ta.

Okay, somehow you have managed to do something impossible. And awesome. Or so it seems to me.

Could you explain in simple instructions what I would have to do to make this happen for my D620?

I don't see a disabler.kext in my /Extra/Extensions folder, so that's okay then?

Probably not. You probably have NullIntelCPUPowermanagement, which is a disabler kext with a unecessarily long name.

Do I need to remove all the extensions you didn't mention in your previous post?

Depends. What do you have in your Extra folder?

HPet? Has this something to do with the bios settings?

HPET stands for High-Precision Event Timer and is used by OS X to do a number of things, including manage CPU P-States.

And how about IntelPowerManagement?

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is the kernel extension that controlls power and speed-throttling in OS X.

Where do I leave this DSDT file?

You store the DSDT in the root of your hard drive. But you can't use mine, because it contains information specific to my computer. If you were to use this DSDT file, you would most likely encounter kernel panics on boot.

Setting my model to MacBookPro5,1 in the SMBios.plist, okay I could do that, but where is it?

You have to create the SMBios.plist file.

I know, Google is your friend and all that, but there are so many hits on all of these subjects, I really don't have time for that. ( I have 7 demanding children, a nagging wife and a job, so please excuse me for being a total dickhead.)

P.S

I have a Intel graphics card, would that be a problem with your dsdt file?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Ta.

I understand this stuff can be daunting, but it's not a drag-n-drop fix. You'll have to understand what each part of the equation does (DSDT, SMBios, etc) before you will be successful in getting sleep to work, or powermanagement, etc.

Here are a couple of excellent links to get you started:

Guide to creating custom SMBIOS.plist files

SpeedStep with AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement

Useful DSDT patches by Slice

Sleep works just fine. You're just not doing it right. ;)

AppleACPIPS2Nub

fakesmc

VoodooBattery

VoodooPS2Controller

VoodooTSCSync

Very cool. I've got a start. I had to disable USB waking in bios, or it wouldn't stay asleep. The only drawback is having to push the power button to wake it up again, but it works well. How did you get sound going? I added back in 3 kexts -

VoodooHDA.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

Sound and sleep work, but sound is screwed up after waking from sleep. I can fix it by unloading then loading voodoohda in a script.

[Edit]

I should point out that SA22C is 100% right when he said this is not a drag and drop approach and that his dsdt would cause a kernel panic in another machine. I tried to take a shortcut, and it did. I ended up creating my own dsdt from Ubuntu Linux and patching that to get one that enables the machine to boot and sleep using the kexts he mentioned. With wake from USB disabled in the BIOS, I use the power button to wake. I can use the autodetect string in Boot.plist to get the NV110 graphics working, but the EFI string still works better.

You need to ensure that you have the most recent VoodooHDA. I think that 0.2.3 fixes the sound glitches after sleep issue. I don't think you need the other two .kexts. I don't have 'em and sound works flawlessly.

Lid sleep and wake works for me when I'm on battery power, but when I'm on AC, closing the lid doesn't do anything. Opening still wakes properly. If I do a hot dock/undock, I lose the trackpad.

The only niggly things that are still bugging me are that the trackpad occasionally goes completely nuts and the USB ports still aren't working 100% correctly. Leaving a usb key plugged in to USB during sleep on battery power results in a warning about correctly un-mounting devices. Digging deeper into the issue, I found that Dell doesn't provide any power to the USB ports during sleep, so I don't think there is a solution to the USB sleep issue while on battery power. While I'm on AC, the ports behave correctly with the USB patches I linked to above. I also occasionally encounter OHCI errors with the USB ports, but these errors don't appear to affect functionality and are probably just verbose output from the debug USB kexts that I installed from the developer site to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts between the USB ports and the HPET device.

I think that the trackpad issues are due to the hacked VoodooPS2 driver I got from the voodooprojects site that enables side-scrolling with the ALPs trackpad. When I use the drivers provided by leppy, I lose side-scrolling but the trackpad has never gotten erratic or stopped working.

The screen doesn't wake properly when it goes to power-save mode, but a simple wakeup script solves that issue. I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop, I think that the problem is that the 7-series nVidia cards don't behave properly because Apple never had a 7-series mobile card in its lineup.

All-in-all, I'm really happy with the D620 as a hackintosh notebook. If I can get c-states going, the batter life is going to be pretty good. I'm getting 3.5 - 4 hours with the extended battery now, with c-states, I should get well past 4.5 hours.