[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

The boot CDs on page one should work for a D830 with Nvidia. It's doubtful it will work on a D830 with Intel graphics.

Were you referring to the Post Installer D620 D820? That one was not a boot CD so I just wanted to make sure. I know the D620SLV1.iso did not work as it gave a KP right away.

Were you referring to the Post Installer D620 D820? That one was not a boot CD so I just wanted to make sure. I know the D620SLV1.iso did not work as it gave a KP right away.

What SL DVD are you using? An OEM DVD won't work - the boot CDs only work with the retail version used for upgrade or included in the box set. You should not get a kernel panic with the correct DVD.

The post installer is just to update the 10.5.6 Leo installer.

What SL DVD are you using? An OEM DVD won't work - the boot CDs only work with the retail version used for upgrade or included in the box set. You should not get a kernel panic with the correct DVD.

The post installer is just to update the 10.5.6 Leo installer.

I am using the D620SLV1 boot CD with a retail copy of Snow Leopard that is installed onto a USB jump drive. This works perfect on my D620 but for some reason it does not with the D830. The D830 does have the Intel graphics and not the NVidia.

I am using the D620SLV1 boot CD with a retail copy of Snow Leopard that is installed onto a USB jump drive. This works perfect on my D620 but for some reason it does not with the D830. The D830 does have the Intel graphics and not the NVidia.

That's why - it's not compatible with D630/D830 Intel Graphics.

Hi Leppy and everyone contributing to this forum, I wanted to give a big shout out and say thanks to everybody for all the great info here, Leppy, you are the man, this install of SL is even easier than installing old Win Xp etc. not to mention the 'other' distros (OSX) that I have used, "iAtkos, Leo4All", this is great, by far the easiest I have ever done, I had a d630 intel from my office that I was expermenting on, and got so interested that I bought a D620 from ebay, (which was supposed to have been an intel but arrived as an nvidia, no complaints), I have been reading and lurking on this thread for some weeks, so I was totally ready to go when the D620 arrived, happy to report, all is working and the machine runs really well, also followed the dual boot from earlier in this thread, so that got me dual booting as well, FYI d620 , nvidia, 120 GB Hdd, 1 Gb memory, Dell 1490 W/lan...now, I will be in the background keeping an eye on the thread but once again - THANKS...

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?acti...tem&id=5060 If you want to upgrade the CPU on your D620 this is as good as it gets.

Good news, the SmartCard reader works; I tried it out at friend's work - they use them with some custom app to allow access to one of the dept. servers. It worked fine with my laptop. If you boot verbose you can see it activated.

PCMCIA, I can get it to work with a firewire card - but not with a Cellular Data or WAN cards I've got - so I'm guessing it depends on the support for the card.

BTW, I've been trying to find a better solution for audio. One with a working input for starters. However, I've had very little luck. Patching HDA seemed like the best goer but success eludes me. I'm attaching my linux codec dump; if anyone wants to have a play with Taruga's patcher.

Leppy700m, where is the System Profiler info generated in your install? Also, who is OSvKernDSPLib.kext when it's at home?

codec_dump.txt

BTW, I've been trying to find a better solution for audio. One with a working input for starters. However, I've had very little luck. Patching HDA seemed like the best goer but success eludes me. I'm attaching my linux codec dump; if anyone wants to have a play with Taruga's patcher.

Leppy700m, where is the System Profiler info generated in your install? Also, who is OSvKernDSPLib.kext when it's at home?

Good news on the smart card. Which kext did you end up using?

I've also used Taruga's patcher, but never got an input working. I decided not to use it on the CD anyway, since I never got audio working at all with that method without a mod to /s/l/e.

I thought someone mentioned that the mic input worked with voodoo's control panel that works with the voodoohda.kext, but I could be remembering wrong. I haven't tried it yet.

I *think* OSvKernDSPLib.kext is loaded because it is required by IOAudioFamily.kext which is required by voodoohda.kext.

The install itself is an ordinary OS X install, so if it's put anywhere, profiler info would be wherever the OS X installer puts it - no place special using my boot CD. I always thought profiler info came from a dynamic read of current dsdt info the boot loader injects from bios, smbios, dsdt and loaded kexts. Since we're just using Chameleon to load /Extra/Extensions.mkext, then Chameleon and those kexts are the only difference between profiler operation on a real mac and this method, unless the end user adds custom dsdt or smbios, however it works.

On another subject - ain't this grande? http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10686302

Heya folks! Longtime lurker, not exactly a first time poster...yada yada yada...

I have an Nvidia D620 and installed a retail SL and upgraded to a 10.6.1 (I've probably reinstalled SL close to 10 times and upgraded directly to 10.6.2 and kept getting KPs) after I read the middle pages of this thread.

So I am happily chugging along now - but I need to install network printers on this thing. Last time I did it, I printed a ream's worth of garbage (not intentionally!). Is there anything special I need to do?

Secondly - it seems like a lot of folks got their wired ethernet working - I havent been able to make mine work. Is there anything I should be doing for that as well?

Thanks a lot to the folks contributing to this thread and mad props to leppy for getting this party started!

What is the wireless card that works in this build on 10.6? I thought it was said it was

BroadCom Mini PCI-E Wan Lan Card BCM94311MCG 802.11 b/g

I purchased one on ebay, tried in both the WLAN, and WWAN port with no response. Are there additional steps I have to take?

What is the wireless card that works in this build on 10.6? I thought it was said it was

I purchased one on ebay, tried in both the WLAN, and WWAN port with no response. Are there additional steps I have to take?

That one should work. Make sure it's on in the bios and the switch on the side of the machine is enabled. If it's a good card, OS X should automatically detect and use it.

I purchased one on bay, tried in both the WLAN, and WWAN port with no response. Are there additional steps I have to take?

What leppy said, plus; you might need to go to network prefs and add an interface (+ button under the list.) You might also need to trash your networkinterfaces.plist then add all your network interfaces back in.

Good news on the smart card. Which kext did you end up using?

I've also used Taruga's patcher, but never got an input working. I decided not to use it on the CD anyway, since I never got audio working at all with that method without a mod to /s/l/e.

I thought someone mentioned that the mic input worked with voodoo's control panel that works with the voodoohda.kext, but I could be remembering wrong. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm honestly not sure, I think it recognises the slot with our standard kexts. Although; I did spend some time trying to get my Mobile BB card to work under OSX; so I may have left an odd kext under /s/l/e/. I think it depends more on the OSX recognising the chipset in the slot, rather than the slot itself; definitely seems to work for generic UHCI/EHCI stuff.

I wouldn't mind the odd kext in /s/l/e/ if we can get input to work; I just get KPs when I patch the HDA kext. Same for the voodoo control panel - KP city.

On a side note, I think there maybe an issue with how nvidia40hal deals with our cards. When I try to use openGL accelerated renders in Autodesk I often get corruption. My suspicion, based on the {censored} we put up with in ~2006 with 10.4 and agp cards, is that it's caused by us running a 64 bit memory interface on our crappy 7300go based cards; the weakest card in the 7xxx series macs shipped with was a 7300GT/128bit. This is pure speculation on my part, it could be just that I've got a bung version of Maya.

I'm close to getting SL on my D630 with Intel X3100 graphics. I can boot in Safe Boot mode but if I try to boot in normal mode I get this error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I suspect it has something to do with the DSDT file. I've tried removing the DSDT but I still get the same error.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm close to getting SL on my D630 with Intel X3100 graphics. I can boot in Safe Boot mode but if I try to boot in normal mode I get this error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I suspect it has something to do with the DSDT file. I've tried removing the DSDT but I still get the same error.

Thoughts anyone?

What kexts are you using to address the power management compatibility issue?

What kexts are you using to address the power management compatibility issue?

These are all of the kexts I'm using:

AppleACPIBatteryManager

AppleACPIPS2Nub

AppleBCM5751Ethernet

ApplePS2Controller

fakesmc

IOATAFamily

legacySTAC9205

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

These are all of the kexts I'm using:

AppleACPIBatteryManager

AppleACPIPS2Nub

AppleBCM5751Ethernet

ApplePS2Controller

fakesmc

IOATAFamily

legacySTAC9205

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

I would try adding PlatformUUID.kext and dumping OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext and legacySTAC9205.kext.

I would try adding PlatformUUID.kext and dumping OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext and legacySTAC9205.kext.

I'll see about getting rid of those. However, I've been able to get my system fully functional. I installed AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, Natit.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, and VoodooPowerMini.kext.

So far so good.

Thanks everyone for your help. Glad to have Snow Leopard running.

Now I just need to move the install off my USB stick and onto the hard drive.

Hello,

I've try that on 7 but it did not work on dual booting on my D620.

Here what I did, format HD,create 4 partitions( Guide)

1st partition is for Mac journal= Install retail SL and it working great.

2nd partiton is just blank(journal)= I use it for backup

3rd "" is for Win 7(ntfs)= Install 7 work but can't boot into Mac anymore.

4th "" is just black(fat)= use for image backup.

After I install 7 will only boot to win7 not Mac anymore so what I did was use the win7 diskpart cmd

and activate Mac partiton again put in the D620SLv1 boot cd.

It boot up I selected Mac HD and was able to boot back to Mac HD did a repair on the post cd chameleon so I don't have to use the D620SLv1 to boot, it fix the Mac HD but did not fix the Win7.

So now I'm back to only booting one OSes. any help would be great to get both OSes booting from chameleon.

My question is if I decided not to use the D620SLv1 CD and just use chameleon rc3 package install will I be able keep all my setting in the extra/extensions from Mac HD.

The reason I ask is because it work on my hackintosh with dual booting win7 and Mac 10.5.8.

In order for this to work you must set up a second fat partition for WINXP in OS X. Then when you install WINXP, do not adjust partitions AT ALL. Just reformat the fat partition, don't delete it, or any others. Once you do that, you mess up the GUID partition table. I know this works, because I did it here.

Windows always screws up the bootloader, so install windows first, then OSX. If you reinstall Chameleon it should see a windows partition and happily boot that. Just remember to hit a button when cham is booting (it'd probably be helpful to increase the timeout in boot.plist if you are dual booting), so that you get into drive selection / boot options.

Windows always screws up the bootloader, so install windows first, then OSX. If you reinstall Chameleon it should see a windows partition and happily boot that. Just remember to hit a button when cham is booting (it'd probably be helpful to increase the timeout in boot.plist if you are dual booting), so that you get into drive selection / boot options.

Thx. for the info I'll try that tonight and see if it can boot both OSes.

I managed to get WIN7 going after installing OS X, but I am not sure exactly if everything I did was required or how to repeat the process.