[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Leppy700m

How do you get the D630 shutdown/restart fix I read through the whole 33 pages here could not find anything regard to

the shutdown restart fix. All I see was to use the Openhalt but there is already one located in e/e and did not work

how do you apply it.

To be honest, I haven't looked at my D630s on OSX in a while because those are my work machines. Once I get a little more progress on the D620 GMA950 machine, I am going to move back to the D630s again. They are both in need of some snowy tweaking.

In short, I don't have an answer for you offhand.

Leppy 700m

Hi, i wanted to install mac os on my dell latitude laptop, with win Xp as a dual boot. I have D620 with 945 inbuilt vga and intel 3945 wifi card.

Please recommend me which Os X version will be suitable OS X 10.5.6 or OS X 10.6.0. I mean to ask which version will support most of my hardware.

Either would be fine provided you have Broadcom wifi, but why not go with the latest and greatest?

To be honest, I haven't looked at my D630s on OSX in a while because those are my work machines. Once I get a little more progress on the D620 GMA950 machine, I am going to move back to the D630s again. They are both in need of some snowy tweaking.

In short, I don't have an answer for you offhand.

Either would be fine provided you have Broadcom wifi, but why not go with the latest and greatest?

thx. for the quick response, I'll be looking forward to it and if I do get it fix I'll let every1 know

Hello Leppyu,

I have successfuly setup my d620 with 10.6.2 I have been using it, and all works, fantastic performance. The onlyitem I cannot get to work is mic input - any ideas? Sound works fine, video works, etc.

let me know?

Hello Leppyu,

I have successfuly setup my d620 with 10.6.2 I have been using it, and all works, fantastic performance. The onlyitem I cannot get to work is mic input - any ideas? Sound works fine, video works, etc.

let me know?

I did not install the control panel for voodoohda. It is my understanding that this may work, perhaps with some device ID patching. I haven't bothered with it yet. FYI - the built in mic should work, but it's noisy because of built in fans.

Thanx for the reply.

ok then will try my luck with the 10.6.0 version. i will keep you posted of my results.

Make sure you are using a retail DVD and not a system restore DVD. A DVD supplied with a MAC will not work. The upgrade DVD and the DVD in the box set are retail and they work.

thx. for the quick response, I'll be looking forward to it and if I do get it fix I'll let every1 know

Leppy700m,

I was diggin around and found this package made by slic. I've install the package and it work perfect with shutdown/restart except that I lost my nVidia Quadro NVS 135M (128MB)driver, it has default to something else with just 64MB. I've lost the ability to run Front row, DVD player but it still kept my resolution at 1280x800 and I notice the resolution wasn't great.

Can you take alook at this package I'm trying to figure out a way to install the package without losing my nVidia driver or is there a easy way to reinstall just the nVidia from your cd after I install the package.

DELL_D620_630_830_NVIDIA.mpkg.zip

I did not install the control panel for voodoohda. It is my understanding that this may work, perhaps with some device ID patching. I haven't bothered with it yet. FYI - the built in mic should work, but it's noisy because of built in fans.

Make sure you are using a retail DVD and not a system restore DVD. A DVD supplied with a MAC will not work. The upgrade DVD and the DVD in the box set are retail and they work.

Hello, I installed the preference pane, and all work!! Great Job, and thank you again Leppy700m :wallbash:

Hello, I installed the preference pane, and all work!! Great Job, and thank you again Leppy700m :wallbash:

Leppy700m,

I was diggin around and found this package made by slic. I've install the package and it work perfect with shutdown/restart except that I lost my nVidia Quadro NVS 135M (128MB)driver, it has default to something else with just 64MB. I've lost the ability to run Front row, DVD player but it still kept my resolution at 1280x800 and I notice the resolution wasn't great.

Can you take alook at this package I'm trying to figure out a way to install the package without losing my nVidia driver or is there a easy way to reinstall just the nVidia from your cd after I install the package.

I suggest adding the

<key>graphicsenabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

back into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

That package just installed about a dozen kexts into your s//l/e directory after adding someone else's dsdt.aml to your config. How one DSDT works with all the different machines listied in that package is beyond me - and if it does it's job, it's doubtful that you'd need so many customized kexts as well. I don't recommend or support that approach because 1. It's a pain in the ass to back out of when things don't go well 2. The next time an apple update comes along, it may well wipe out half of those customized kexts you just added to the default /s/l/e directory, and 3. I just generally have a bug up my butt about that approach. I don't like spiders, either.

I'd try the the graphicsenabler or maybe try an EFI string in the boot.plist. If that doesn't work, try asking around on the thread that posted the package. After all, everything is supposed to work with it, right?

Just been catching up on the thread while I reinstalled for Africa; must do backups... must do backups... Nice to see the dsdt work. Just a few tangential points.

AFAIK all d620s have a smart card reader it's the skinny slot under your headphone/mic sockets (ok, i'm speaking for NZ market here, but I never found one without). There's an osx driver for it, but frankly, unless you are mega security paranoid, it's pretty useless. In win you can get software to duplicate satellite/cable TV cards etc...

No matter what you do, you can only get 64MB video memory to work, no matter what display profiler says. I don't see how one method would produce better results then others; same drivers will get initialised. The reason our card causes hassles is that it has half the memory bandwidth (not size) of any 7xxx series used by apple and half the rendering pipelines. It is, in fact, a POS - not an ultra-mega-POS like the intel 950 (which dumps some of render operations onto the CPU etc) - but it's a POS never the less. (But, it's our POS and we love it, eh... like the {censored} red headed stepchild that it is...)

There are T5600 based D620s, I'm typing on one now. The extra 2MB cache in T7xxx helps, but not so that you'd notice.

OH FFS!!!

I just spent a blimin' hour patching me DSDT, got chuffed with reliable sleep and somewhat annoying error messages at shutdown/boot. Then, accidentally copied it over with the one leppy posted in his extra folder (too many finder windows all in various versions of "extra" folder) - turns out the bloody thing runs perfectly

/facepalm

So, uhh, thanks leppy? ;-)

I suspect your dsdt will run fine on any core2/nvidia D620. I think we can make a reference nVidia/C2D dsdt to stick in your installer.

Oh, not so much when using the drive in the mediabay (and fck I lost the drive screws due to all the drive swapping); but it's more to do with the fact that the media bay interface is ATA, while the media bay caddy takes a SATA drive.

Just been catching up on the thread while I reinstalled for Africa; must do backups... must do backups... Nice to see the dsdt work. Just a few tangential points.

AFAIK all d620s have a smart card reader it's the skinny slot under your headphone/mic sockets (ok, i'm speaking for NZ market here, but I never found one without). There's an osx driver for it, but frankly, unless you are mega security paranoid, it's pretty useless. In win you can get software to duplicate satellite/cable TV cards etc...

No matter what you do, you can only get 64MB video memory to work, no matter what display profiler says. I don't see how one method would produce better results then others; same drivers will get initialised. The reason our card causes hassles is that it has half the memory bandwidth (not size) of any 7xxx series used by apple and half the rendering pipelines. It is, in fact, a POS - not an ultra-mega-POS like the intel 950 (which dumps some of render operations onto the CPU etc) - but it's a POS never the less.

There are T5600 based D620s, I'm typing on one now. The extra 2MB cache in T7xxx, helps but not so that you'd notice.

Serves me right for trusting NewEgg for CPU specs. Of course you're right - Intel lists every version of the T5600 CPU as socket M, though NewEgg has the discontinued item as a socket P. I think Intel knows better than NewEgg.

Bottom line is this: Don't try using a socket P cpu on a socket M system board. The D620/D820 are socket M, the D630/D830 are socket P. Best case, it won't fit.

You're also right about profiler. It could probably be modified to say just about anything.

OH FFS!!!

I just spent a blimin' hour patching me DSDT, got chuffed with reliable sleep and somewhat annoying error messages at shutdown/boot. Then, accidentally copied it over with the one leppy posted in his extra folder (too many finder windows all in various versions of "extra" folder) - turns out the bloody thing runs perfectly

/facepalm

So, uhh, thanks leppy? ;-)

I suspect your dsdt will run fine on any core2/nvidia D620. I think we can make a reference nVidia/C2D dsdt to stick in your installer.

Oh, not so much when using the drive in the mediabay (and fck I lost the drive screws due to all the drive swapping); but it's more to do with the fact that the media bay interface is ATA, while the media bay caddy takes a SATA drive.

Well that's really good news. I have an even better DSDT since then. I'd like more people to test it before I build a new package though.

I am also working on one for the Intel graphics model that finally gets rid of the ancient GMA and framebuffer kexts we were preloading. It's still a work in progress though.

Here's my latest and greatest NV setup. If anyone would like to test it, just back up the contents of your /Extra directory, replace what's in /Extra with the contents of what's in this. Move the boot file from /extra to / (root).

Serves me right for trusting NewEgg for CPU specs. Of course you're right - Intel lists every version of the T5600 CPU as socket M, though NewEgg has the discontinued item as a socket P. I think Intel knows better than NewEgg.

Bottom line is this: Don't try using a socket P cpu on a socket M system board. The D620/D820 are socket M, the D630/D830 are socket P. Best case, it won't fit.

You're also right about profiler. It could probably be modified to say just about anything.

Well that's really good news. I have an even better DSDT since then. I'd like more people to test it before I build a new package though.

I am also working on one for the Intel graphics model that finally gets rid of the ancient GMA and framebuffer kexts we were preloading. It's still a work in progress though.

Here's my latest and greatest NV setup. If anyone would like to test it, just back up the contents of your /Extra directory, replace what's in /Extra with the contents of what's in this. Move the boot file from /extra to / (root).

Just a caution about using other people's DSDT files:

Sure, you may have the same hardware, but do you have the exact same RAM configuration as leppy? Does he have 2GB in one or two DIMMs? It makes a difference and using a DSDT generated by another computer with even the slightest difference in hardware configuration, BIOS revision or BIOS settings can result in kernel panics.

My recommendation is to boot into a Ubuntu live environment, dump your own DSDT table and make the required patches from there. I know that it's not convenient, but it has the benefit of matching up exactly to your hardware and you might just learn something about the ACPI specs and how your computer behaves at the lowest level.

Works fine on my Dell. No speedstep but otherwise fine.

Just a caution about using other people's DSDT files:

Sure, you may have the same hardware, but do you have the exact same RAM configuration as leppy? Does he have 2GB in one or two DIMMs? It makes a difference and using a DSDT generated by another computer with even the slightest difference in hardware configuration, BIOS revision or BIOS settings can result in kernel panics.

My recommendation is to boot into a Ubuntu live environment, dump your own DSDT table and make the required patches from there. I know that it's not convenient, but it has the benefit of matching up exactly to your hardware and you might just learn something about the ACPI specs and how your computer behaves at the lowest level.

You are preaching to the choir here. However, for the vast majority of people coming to this board (it's insanelymac, right) this is going to be above their abilities/desire to learn. We can put a disclaimer that everyone is to update to A10 BIOS before using etc...

Regarding memory, here is my take on it. This 945 chipset that intel has blighted the planet with is only capable of addressing 4GiB of memory. In fact, iirc, the top part of that 4GiB is taken up I/O address space. Those locations are fixed regardless of the amount of memory you use. The other confounding factor is shared GPU memory (that has to come out of the 4GiB allocation); unfortunately (or fortunately), our kexts can only call up the discrete 64MB allocation. TBH, given our anaemic gpus, it's all it needs.

I tested Leppy's file with 2,3 & 4 GiB; worked without a hitch on either. I know 2x2GiB is supposed to enable dual channel, but I can't see a measurable metric showing a bandwidth increase over 2+1GiB - my usual setup since I donated a 2GiB to GF's ageing macbook.

Hi Leppy

Just tried your latest /extra package on my D820 and thought I'd give some feedback.

It seems to be working better than it was previously, I think its starting up faster than it was before, sleep now works too. I'm running 10.6.1. My D820 has a Core Duo rather than a Core 2 processor, NVidia 120M graphics card and 3Gb RAM. The only thing that I've noticed so far is that sound has stopped working. Will try restoring the VoodooHDA kext file to see if that gets sound going in the meantime.

Thanks

Chris

The only thing that I've noticed so far is that sound has stopped working. Will try restoring the VoodooHDA kext file to see if that gets sound going in the meantime.

Put the voodoo audio kext posted earlier into s/l/e not /e/e

WORKING SPEEDSTEP AOK ;-)

Using SuperHai's VoodooPowerMini.kext from here. IIRC, he uses a dell for his work, so we may have struck lucky there.

Holy {censored}!! Everything works...

Oh, usb drives get dirty unmount on sleep. I seem to remember that problem from 10.4 days. There was a script that forced a clean unmount on sleep, when computer came back on they just remounted. Ugh, I'll trawl through some old drives when I get home.

Oh BTW, Leppy,

Your smbios file has an extra "]" character that needs removing. I also cut your CPU clock speed line, it seems unnecessary (and wrong for my 1.83GHz cpu).

Put the voodoo audio kext posted earlier into s/l/e not /e/e

WORKING SPEEDSTEP AOK ;-)

Using SuperHai's VoodooPowerMini.kext from here. IIRC, he uses a dell for his work, so we may have struck lucky there.

Holy {censored}!! Everything works...

Oh, usb drives get dirty unmount on sleep. I seem to remember that problem from 10.4 days. There was a script that forced a clean unmount on sleep, when computer came back on they just remounted. Ugh, I'll trawl through some old drives when I get home.

USB's dismount incorrectly due to the BIOS implementation. Dell has programmed the USB ports to cut power when not tethered to AC power. OS X doesn't know how to handle this and fails to unmount the USB drives properly. I tried adding the requisite flags in my DSDT to provide power to the USB ports while in sleep mode, but that only solved the issue while on AC power. When on battery alone, the USB ports do not provide power, period.

As for speedstep, try setting your model to MacbookPro5,1 in the smbios.plist file. That worked for me to enable system-controlled speed-step, but c-states appear to be out of reach for now.

As for RAM bandwidth, you're getting asymmetric dual-channel with your 2+1 GB configuration, which provides up to 95% of the bandwidth you get from true dual-channel. You'll see a drop in available bandwidth if you use only one DIMM.

Hey Consolation, thanks for that. I'd placed the voodoo audio kext in e/e, its now been moved to s/l/e and audio is back :-)

Will do some more testing when I get a chance.

Works on my systems in /e/e, once I run rebuild_mkext.

Oh BTW, Leppy,

Your smbios file has an extra "]" character that needs removing. I also cut your CPU clock speed line, it seems unnecessary (and wrong for my 1.83GHz cpu).

I'll check it out.

SA22C, thanks again for all of your guidance regarding the dsdt patches to apply. You get big points.

You guys all rock - this kind of feedback is what's driven this project to a whole new level.

USB's dismount incorrectly due to the BIOS implementation. Dell has programmed the USB ports to cut power when not tethered to AC power. OS X doesn't know how to handle this and fails to unmount the USB drives properly. I tried adding the requisite flags in my DSDT to provide power to the USB ports while in sleep mode, but that only solved the issue while on AC power. When on battery alone, the USB ports do not provide power, period.

As for speedstep, try setting your model to MacbookPro5,1 in the smbios.plist file. That worked for me to enable system-controlled speed-step, but c-states appear to be out of reach for now.

As for RAM bandwidth, you're getting asymmetric dual-channel with your 2+1 GB configuration, which provides up to 95% of the bandwidth you get from true dual-channel. You'll see a drop in available bandwidth if you use only one DIMM.

Yeah, I realise the USB issue; the solution I mentioned was one I used on a 945 mobo when I first built a hacky way back in 06. It's a hack, but it worked reasonably well, in that it unmounted drives automatically when sleep was triggered. Obviously, a DSDT based solution would be much better.

Setting my model didn't give me working speedstep, frequency was stuck on x11 - with superhai's kext it scales from x6 to x11.

Thanks for the RAM info, I had no idea we could do that - asymmetric DC; last 945 board I had only gave you DC when both channels were equally stocked. Great news.

Hey Consolation, thanks for that. I'd placed the voodoo audio kext in e/e, its now been moved to s/l/e and audio is back :-)

Will do some more testing when I get a chance.

Hey Guys, Leppy, Consolation, SA22C, thanks for sharing and contributing to this post ;) , Leppy, i tried your DSDT (downloaded the file you posted and did the backup / replace Extra folder, re ran the script to do the rebuild, and also did the repair permissions with the disk utility), got the new VoodooHPA and the VoodooPowerMini, did the placements in the correct folders, replaced the 'boot' as you mentioned, well, here is my findings, when the machine boots, i go directly to the options screen to select the OS I want to boot into, used to be it defaulted to SL, now I have to make the choice, , I think i like this, boots fine, sleep works, but on waking, i lost sound, so i did what Consolation suggested, move the Voodoo HPA to S/L/E and that restored sound , but here is the issue, the touch pad works, but the tap to click, / select, is lost on waking from sleep, just a quick note to say that while I understand the principle of Patching a custom DSTD per individual machine, the how-to is the rocket science for me, so kudos on getting this far on these machined guys, I really respect and appreciate your work!!! whew, sorry for being so wordy guys... :whistle: ps, mine is nv, core duo t2600, 1 gb ram, 1 stick, latest bios and just about the same selections in the bios :)

when the machine boots, i go directly to the options screen to select the OS I want to boot into, used to be it defaulted to SL, now I have to make the choice

If you want to change that, edit the Time Out value in apple.com.Boot.plist to something other then 0.

i.e.

open terminal. Don't type the quotes, it's just to distinguish term commands from rest of post.

"cd /Extra"

"sudo nano apple.com.Boot.plist"

change

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

to

<string>3</string>

or any other value over 0, the larger the value the longer the wait. control-o to write out, control-x to exit. As a precaution run kext utility to fix up permissions, kext utility attached.

I found that the ethernet kext has to be in s/l/e otherwise it won't load due to missing dependencies. VoodooPowerMini works better in s/l/e otherwise it unloads itself then reloads again on boot. VoodooHDA works much more reliably in s/l/e as well.

I wouldn't worry about 64bit mode btw. Unlike windows/linux you can execute 64bit binaries with the 32bit mach kernel, the performance gain is so tiny I wouldn't worry about 64bit kernel at the moment.

Attached are my s/l/e kexts, if you use them - remove the same ones from /e/e/ , then run Kext Utility.

s_l_e_kexts.zip

Kext_Utility.app.zip

P.S.

Here is a potential solution to the USB unmount issue; http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...080329201951648

it worked well back in the day - will try it when I get home.

I wonder if it could also trigger cscreen if required.

....but here is the issue, the touch pad works, but the tap to click, / select, is lost on waking from sleep

If you're using my /Extra setup, I don't use the trackpad kext because it doesn't work properly. The trackpad works, but enhanced features do not. I prefer it that way anyway.

Want to hear something crazy?

I have a D620, NVIDIA graphics, and a D620, Intel Graphics both at the same (latest) rev bios. I used Ubuntu to copy out my DSDT from each machine, disassembled the code and ran a diff on the two disassembled texts. Absolutely no difference. Zero. Zilch. Nada. None. I knew the only difference in the two machines was supposed to be graphics, but there are not even hooks to graphics in the DSDT, only displays.

Want to hear something crazy?

I have a D620, NVIDIA graphics, and a D620, Intel Graphics both at the same (latest) rev bios. I used Ubuntu to copy out my DSDT from each machine, disassembled the code and ran a diff on the two disassembled texts. Absolutely no difference. Zero. Zilch. Nada. None. I knew the only difference in the two machines was supposed to be graphics, but there are not even hooks to graphics in the DSDT, only displays.

Huh. Here's my untouched DSDT.dsl from an Ubuntu dump. My machine has 2x2GB of RAM, nVidia graphics, high-res screen and the fingerprint scanner. If you could do a diff bewteen this and yours, I'd be interested to see the results. I have the latest BIOS revision (A10).

dsdt.dst.txt