[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5

Hope that's not too much info.

That doesn't look like a "retail" DVD. If it came with a new MAC system, it won't work.

You need the DVD that is sold separately - either the $29.00 upgrade dvd or the one sold in the box set.

That doesn't look like a "retail" DVD. If it came with a new MAC system, it won't work.

You need the DVD that is sold separately - either the $29.00 upgrade dvd or the one sold in the box set.

Ah, thanks. Somehow I was under the impression that the real DVD would not work. Will go grab a copy this week, thanks!

Hello, youtube HD and Vimeo HD lagging like hell...even in quartz enabled mode.

Also, has anyone gotten the mic input or onboard mic to work?

Mikk.

I have no issues with playback all the way to 720p I get a very occasional skip at 1080p, T5600 C2D @1.8GHz. Mikk are you sure you have a C2D? The model T250 in your profile doesn't exist, but T2*** are all CDs.

Im pretty sure that i have a C2D but i got the T250 from my windows 7 profiler.

It might be wrong about the make tho but im sure it is a C2D @ 1.63 GHz.

I even have a sticker on that says "Inter Centrino Duo"

Mikk.

Mikk.

Seems that you have a Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo.

Mikk.

It'd be one of these I presume, either can be used with centrino label; it only meand Intel CPU+chipset+wireless. Which one, has implications on the type of power management used and your ability to run 64bit. Neither has Intel VT extensions, unfortunately.

Download CPUX (osx) or CPUZ (win) to get your cpu easily identified.

Model Number sSpec Number(s) Frequency L2-Cache Front Side Bus Mult Voltage TDP

Core Duo T2050 SL9BN 1.6 GHz 2 MiB 533 MT/s 12x 0.762 - 1.3 V 31 W

Core 2 Duo T5200 SL9VP (B2) 1.6 GHz 2 MB 533 MT/s 12x 1.0375 - 1.3 V 34 W

On the up side, you've got VT extensions; but the artefacting is weird. I'd download the new fakeblahblah kext of netkas' site and set up iStat or Temp monitor to keep an eye on your temperatures. Are you sure you have the string set up correctly?

The fact that it's a CD not C2D, could explain some skipping. BUT, the CD HP that I setup using this method has no major issues, except for 1080p - where it skips like buggery.

WHEEEW...just read through 25 pages, most of which I didn't understand. LOL.

First of all thanks for this great thread, your tutorial was simple, fast, and works like a CHARM.

So looks like sleep is outta the question, no biggie.

What about the video on a d620 NVDIA machine, I'm on 10.6.0 and the DVD Player only plays audio, I saw it mentioned a couple times, but didn't see a fix. I guess if it isn't working in 10.6.0, I might as well go to 10.6.2, right?

Once again, thanks.

On the up side, you've got VT extensions; but the artefacting is weird. I'd download the new fakeblahblah kext of netkas' site and set up iStat or Temp monitor to keep an eye on your temperatures. Are you sure you have the string set up correctly?

The fact that it's a CD not C2D, could explain some skipping. BUT, the CD HP that I setup using this method has no major issues, except for 1080p - where it skips like buggery.

Now i see, didn't know there was a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo.

That might really explain why im not getting the most power out of my computer as i want to.

Mikk.

Now i see, didn't know there was a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo.

That might really explain why im not getting the most power out of my computer as i want to.

Mikk.

The cpu is upgradeable, if you can find a compatible one.

That was a good catch about the CPU. Also, it doesn't help that the video ram in OS X on any D620 is limited to 64 mb.

I've read all 25 pages so hopefully I didn't miss the solution (if there is one). I'm trying to install SL on my D630 w/Intel GMAX3100 that is currently running 10.5.8. My problem is that the screen goes black while it's reading the SL install disc. I get the standard grey screen with the Apple logo and everything seems okay and then suddenly the screen goes black and then nothing.

I'm going to try connecting an external monitor to see what's happening but wanted to post here to see if anyone had some insight. Does the D630 have the same display issues (the need for the sleepdisplay script) with SL that it has with Leopard?

Edit: External monitor didn't help... it never showed anything.

I've read all 25 pages so hopefully I didn't miss the solution (if there is one). I'm trying to install SL on my D630 w/Intel GMAX3100 that is currently running 10.5.8. My problem is that the screen goes black while it's reading the SL install disc. I get the standard grey screen with the Apple logo and everything seems okay and then suddenly the screen goes black and then nothing.

I'm going to try connecting an external monitor to see what's happening but wanted to post here to see if anyone had some insight. Does the D630 have the same display issues (the need for the sleepdisplay script) with SL that it has with Leopard?

Are you using the correct Boot-132?

And are you using a Retail DVD supplied by Apple?

Im going to change my T2300 to a T5450.(processor)

We shall see if it works.

Mikk.

I don't think the D630 with X3100 graphics will work with my CDs. The GMA950 and framebuffer kexts would probably need to be removed.

Are you using the correct Boot-132?

And are you using a Retail DVD supplied by Apple?

Im going to change my T2300 to a T5450.(processor)

We shall see if it works.

Mikk.

I'm using a Retail DVD and used the boot CD supplied in the second post of this thread (D620SLV1). I was hoping it would work with the D630/Intel graphics but I guess not.

I don't think the D630 with X3100 graphics will work with my CDs. The GMA950 and framebuffer kexts would probably need to be removed.

Any suggestions or should I just give up on SL? Ever since I upgraded to 10.5.8 I'm having trouble with speedstep (I think).... not exactly sure the problem, the symptom is that the system clock is running fast and I have to lock the CPU at 2200 mHz or else it doesn't run correctly. Haven't been able to figure out a fix which is why I was trying to upgrade to 10.6.

Hey Leppy,

Got the retail DVD like you said and it worked perfectly. The only thing is the wireless doesn't work, as you stated in your note. But everything else works flawlessly. So thank you so much for your very detailed instructions!!

Side note, anyone know of any cheap USB WiFi adapters that work?

Cheers!

I suppose you can't really install a C2D on a CD computer.

Since my T5450 did not fit into the socket.

Mikk.

there are 2 types of sockets for C2Ds; M & P. T5450s are P you want a socket M for our Dells, most of the 7x00 and 5x00 models come in M flavour. You ideally want the 5600 or 7x00 model, they are the full featured versions most like the CPUs used by apple. 5x50 series are budget versions missing some features, VT extensions notably.

Do you happen to have a boot CD for a Latitude D830?

The boot CDs on page one should work for a D830 with Nvidia. It's doubtful it will work on a D830 with Intel graphics.

Hey Leppy,

Got the retail DVD like you said and it worked perfectly. The only thing is the wireless doesn't work, as you stated in your note. But everything else works flawlessly. So thank you so much for your very detailed instructions!!

Side note, anyone know of any cheap USB WiFi adapters that work?

Cheers!

You can get Dell DW 1490s and 1500/1510s on Ebay on the cheap. They work well.