[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Ok, I've got a new problem. :D

If I try to launch Activity Monitor, I get an instant kernel panic. Screenshot is attached below. I think that the issue can be backtraced to using 2 cpus via the VoodooTSCSync.kext.

leppy: Could you do me a favor and list the modified .kexts you're using in both Extra and S/L/E ? Also, if you could attach your com.apple.Boot.plist and your SMBios.plist, that'd be great. I want to chase this error down. That is, of course, you're not also getting a kernel panic when you launch Activity Monitor.

No kernel panic here - activity monitor works fine. I also use both CPUs with VoodooTSCSync.kext, and the only kext in /s/l/e is voohoohda, until I can figure out how to get it to load from /e/extensions.mkext like the previous version I used did.

I use the latest BIOS - version A10. I still don't know why your dsdt made my machine panic. They are nearly identical, except for memory - mine is 2gb and i think you said yours is 4gb.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

No kernel panic here - activity monitor works fine.

Thanks for the super-quick reply. :D

Are you using the built-in Ethernet port? I don't see an AppleBCM57xx kext.

Also, which bootloader are you using?

Thanks for the super-quick reply. :D

Are you using the built-in Ethernet port? I don't see an AppleBCM57xx kext.

Also, which bootloader are you using?

No built in ethernet as of yet. I was going to try to patch up a 64 bit kext to use in case we get the panics resolved for our vid cards in 64-bit mode.

The bootloader is the one in the /Extra folder in the zip file. I stuck it there - but it also resides at root.

No built in ethernet as of yet. I was going to try to patch up a 64 bit kext to use in case we get the panics resolved for our vid cards in 64-bit mode.

The bootloader is the one in the /Extra folder in the zip file. I stuck it there - but it also resides at root.

Right, but are you using Chameleon RC4, AsreBLN or PC-EFI?

Don't know offhand. I guess I can reboot and try to catch it.

edit: Chameleon Screen says

Darwin/X86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBLN r

Build Date 2010-01-20 23:32:44

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes tonight when I am back in front of the laptop.

This forum should have rep points, you've been very helpful.

You too. You came up with guidance for a dsdt solution for sleep.

Dammit! :wacko:

Still getting kernel panics when I launch activity monitor. Do you mind going over your BIOS settings with me? What settings have you changed from the default? What revision of the BIOS are you using? Do you have multi-core support enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

Thanks again for all your help.

Dammit! :wacko:

Still getting kernel panics when I launch activity monitor. Do you mind going over your BIOS settings with me? What settings have you changed from the default? What revision of the BIOS are you using? Do you have multi-core support enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

Thanks again for all your help.

A10 Bios, multicore is enabled.

from the top:

System-

System Info-

System = Latitude D620

BIOS Version = A10 (05/16/2008)

Processor Info = Intel Core2 Duo

Processor ID = 06F6

Current Clock Speed = 2.16 Ghz

Processor Cache Size = 4096 KB

Dual Core Present = Yes

Memory Info-

Memory Installed 2048 MB

Memory Speed = 667 Mhz

Memory Channel Mode = Dual

Device Info-

Video Controller = QUadro NVS 110M

Video Bios Version = 005.072.022.021.162.000

Panel Type = 14" XGA+

Native Resolution = 1440 x 900

Wifi - Broadcom (DW1510)

Cellular Device = {none}

Bluetooth Device = Installed

Fast IR = OFF

Integrated NIC = Enabled

Internal Modem = Enabled

External USB ports = Enabled

Integrated USB Ports = High Speed

Parallel Port = Off

Serial Port = COM1

PC Card = Enabled (Empty)

Brightness = MAX

Brightness (AC) = MAX

Ambient Light Sensor = LCD Panel Expansion Enabled

Primary Video = Onboard Video

No passwords, no Bypass

Wireless switch change = permitted

W-fi Catcher Change = permitted

CPU XD Support = Enabled

TMP Security = OFF

TMP Activation = Deactivate

Computrace = Deactivate

Multi Core Support = Enabled

HDD Acoustic Mode = Performance

Speedstep Enable = Enabled

Auto On Mode = Off

USB Wake Support = Off

Wake on LAN/WLan = OFF

Serial ATA DIPM = Enabled

Hot Undock = enabled

PCI Slot Monitoring = Enabled Silent

Universal COnnect = Enabled

Adapter Warnings = Enabled

FN key emulation = Scroll Lock

Fast Boot = Minimal

Virtualization = Enabled

keypad (Embedded) = Fn Key Only

Mouse/Touchpad = Touchpad-PS/2

Numlock LED = On

USB Emulation = Enabled

Internal Bluetook = Enabled

Internal Wi-fi = Enabled

Internal Cellular = Off

Wireless Switch = ALL

Wi-Fi Catcher = Enabled

There were rumours of a security update that was distributed early this week causing panics. I haven't run into that yet.

I'd maybe try deleting /system/library/caches/com.apple.boot.caches/startup/extensions.mkext, then let disk utility verify/repair the volume and repair permissions. On next boot, use -f parameter.

Well, I've managed to get to the point where the panic is intermittent, but I still haven't figured out exactly what the hell is going on. There isn't a consistent error message on boot or other indication as to why it will panic one time and not the next.

I do go back and re-do my DSDT with a fresh dump from Ubuntu, which made the difference between panic all the time and intermittent panics. I think there are still some IRQ issues going on.

Do you have the fingerprint scanner and smart-card slot installed on your machine? Maybe that's the difference between our two computers (aside from the CPU speed and installed memory)

Well, I've managed to get to the point where the panic is intermittent, but I still haven't figured out exactly what the hell is going on. There isn't a consistent error message on boot or other indication as to why it will panic one time and not the next.

I do go back and re-do my DSDT with a fresh dump from Ubuntu, which made the difference between panic all the time and intermittent panics. I think there are still some IRQ issues going on.

Do you have the fingerprint scanner and smart-card slot installed on your machine? Maybe that's the difference between our two computers (aside from the CPU speed and installed memory)

No smart cards, no finger print scanners. You must have two memory modules. Maybe try removing one at a time and see if one or the other makes the difference.

No smart cards, no finger print scanners. You must have two memory modules. Maybe try removing one at a time and see if one or the other makes the difference.

I tried using one 2GB DIMM, two 1GB DIMMs and two 2GB DIMMs.

Right now it appears stable. I've got the HPET grabbing IRQ 8 and 11 consistently, and my USB issues have been resolved. I think that getting a base DSDT table from Ubuntu, rather than from inside OS X, made a difference. The dump from Ubuntu included all the ACPI tables, including several that aren't accessible from OS X, so there could be several differences that I have neither the inclination nor the talent to cross-check. ;)

In any case, I noticed in your DSDT that you're using the same device ID in all your patched USB devices. That isn't really a good thing. Take a look at my attached file to see what I did with the USB0-3 and EHCI devices. Those patches, coupled with the HPET IRQ changes, ensure that shutdown/restart works consistently.

DSDT.dsl.zip

I tried using one 2GB DIMM, two 1GB DIMMs and two 2GB DIMMs.

Right now it appears stable. I've got the HPET grabbing IRQ 8 and 11 consistently, and my USB issues have been resolved. I think that getting a base DSDT table from Ubuntu, rather than from inside OS X, made a difference. The dump from Ubuntu included all the ACPI tables, including several that aren't accessible from OS X, so there could be several differences that I have neither the inclination nor the talent to cross-check. :angel:

In any case, I noticed in your DSDT that you're using the same device ID in all your patched USB devices. That isn't really a good thing. Take a look at my attached file to see what I did with the USB0-3 and EHCI devices. Those patches, coupled with the HPET IRQ changes, ensure that shutdown/restart works consistently.

I did look, and of course you're right. I thought it was running pretty well until I made those adjustments. Now the thing shuts down and restarts very quickly. The only problem remaining is that the display sleep corrupts the video when it wakes. To recover, I can use full sleep and then wake. No biggie, I just set power management so that display sleep and full sleep occur at the same time.

I am glad you got your situation straight again, and thanks again for all of your input. The Nvidia Machine is good - I will be ironing out some issues on the Intel machine next, and then on to the D630nv.

Hey,

i see that a Sleep fix is on the way :).

Leppy are you planning on making a step by step or something in that nature?

And also on a side note, i have a chance to get a Intel C2D T5600@1.83GHz for around 50 dollars, thats a large amount of cash so would a C2D update really make a difference or is the changes minimal.

Thanks,

M.

Well, when someone puts together stupid simple instructions (or at least instructions for technical professionals who aren't exactly hardware ins-and-outs gurus but catch on to most regular stuff quickly as long as the instructions are written clearly and explain what's going on and why) on how to do this for a D820 with the 110M ... I'm in.

Hey,

i see that a Sleep fix is on the way .

And also on a side note, i have a chance to get a Intel C2D T5600@1.83GHz for around 50 dollars, thats a large amount of cash so would a C2D update really make a difference or is the changes minimal.

Thanks,

M.

I wouldn't bother myself with the 1.83GHz. My previous laptop was a Toshiba with a 1.6 GHz and I don't see too much improvement in 'day-to-day' usage with the D620 equipped with the 2GHz chip.

Well, when someone puts together stupid simple instructions (or at least instructions for technical professionals who aren't exactly hardware ins-and-outs gurus but catch on to most regular stuff quickly as long as the instructions are written clearly and explain what's going on and why) on how to do this for a D820 with the 110M ... I'm in.

Well, I would suggest reading the exellent blog of AsereBLN, located here. He goes through the process of installing and patching the DSDT of a Gigabyte-based board, but the standard HPET, RTC and TMR patches are equally valid for any computer, including the Dell. Then I would read the DSDT patching section of Project OS X. They have some good discussion on DSDT patching and the USB fix that I incorporated into my DSDT was sourced from that board. Once you have a good grasp of what the DSDT actually does and how to change it, you'll be well on your way.

Hey,

i see that a Sleep fix is on the way :(.

Possibly, I don't know. It would take some time for me to put together and it would take some dedication for the user to make it work. There is no way I'd try to offer help on whatever goes wrong - it would be a full time job even if I were good at it, which I am not. I've done a few, but I am still learning. The best I could hope to do is update a guide specific to the machines I have and make it as clear and helpful as possible. I still don't have display only sleep working on my Nvidia, and I still don't have full sleep working on the Intel. I can keep posting post my extra folder as an example, but the DSDT may well panic another machine.

I am playing with sleep because I am curious, but it's really not critical to me. My take on it is still this: if you just want a "perfect" Mac, then go buy a Mac. At some point I plan on buying one - the rest of this fooling around is just a hobby, because it has no commercial value. I don't mean to diminish anyones hard work, but still this IS a hobby and as J.A. said, facts are stubborn things.

Thanks,

M.

Definitely not. It's not compatible and would definitely not work. The T5600 CPU is socket P, and you need a socket M processor for a D620. I am not even sure if it would fit in the socket, but even if it did, it would be a very bad idea to power your machine up with a socket P CPU. Also, SA22C's right anyway- you wouldn't notice any difference.

Edit: 2/4/2010:

I stand corrected: The T5600 is socket M and would work, but you still won't notice any difference.

Well I don't own any D820s, so I won't have anything specific for you. But aside from graphics and display, I think they are pretty much the same as a D620, so whatever patches work for us should work for you, since the patches for the NV machines don't really impact graphics. You'd be starting with your own DSDT extraction, so it should be good in the end. I guess I'll get to work documenting what I've got so far.

I am most excited about this aspect for GMA950 machines: We can finally get rid of relic framebuffers and out of date kexts to fix that stupid backwards display implementation Dell decided on. I can do it with DSDT and not preload any graphics kexts. I am hoping that I can figure out how to get the DVI port in the dock working, too.

Again, it is unlikely to be a fully scripted solution unless someone comes up with a dsdt that plays nice with a majority of a certain model with a certain bios.

Posting this from my newly acquired D620 thanks to your ISO you put together. Nice work!

Like some others have noted, the Chameleon menu got scrambled for me when I swapped DVD's and hit F5 to have it read the SL DVD. This was due to my Combo Drive (CD Burner + DVD Drive) so I swapped it out for my girlfriend's plain DVD drive from her work laptop, which happens to be a D620 as well. I gather that one could use a USB DVD drive if they did not have a spare DVD drive to use.

Thanks again, Leppy!!

Posting this from my newly acquired D620 thanks to your ISO you put together. Nice work!

Like some others have noted, the Chameleon menu got scrambled for me when I swapped DVD's and hit F5 to have it read the SL DVD. This was due to my Combo Drive (CD Burner + DVD Drive) so I swapped it out for my girlfriend's plain DVD drive from her work laptop, which happens to be a D620 as well. I gather that one could use a USB DVD drive if they did not have a spare DVD drive to use.

Thanks again, Leppy!!

Glad you were successful. Yes, it's easy to make a USB drive work if you have another Mac. I wanted something easy to start from scratch.

I'd like to worn people against using mac-fuse; it permanently corrupted my HD catalog b-tree structure. Apparently it's not that uncommon on hackies. Oh well; summer holidays are over, so once I get my data recovered and re-install everything I can waste time at work trying to get my dell to run osx properly :-b

I'd like to worn people against using mac-fuse; it permanently corrupted my HD catalog b-tree structure. Apparently it's not that uncommon on hackies. Oh well; summer holidays are over, so once I get my data recovered and re-install everything I can waste time at work trying to get my dell to run osx properly :-b

Hey, we've got some progress, and I think you're easily up to the DSDT patches SA22C researched and pointed out.

Bummer about your HD. Great excuse to get a bigger badder one though.

Leppy700m

How do you get the D630 shutdown/restart fix I read through the whole 33 pages here could not find anything regard to

the shutdown restart fix. All I see was to use the Openhalt but there is already one located in e/e and did not work

how do you apply it.

Leppy 700m

Hi, i wanted to install mac os on my dell latitude laptop, with win Xp as a dual boot. I have D620 with 945 inbuilt vga and intel 3945 wifi card.

Please recommend me which Os X version will be suitable OS X 10.5.6 or OS X 10.6.0. I mean to ask which version will support most of my hardware.