[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

I managed to get WIN7 going after installing OS X, but I am not sure exactly if everything I did was required or how to repeat the process.

I don't know why the mouse was frozen repeatedly after I switched to Windows 7. I had to go back to Windows XP and install Windows 7 as VMWare client OS.

No working micro

First of all, great job : almost everything has been working on the first try using the ISO DVD.

One probleme. I'm trying to make my d620 microphone working. In the OSX configuration panel, the Mic seems to be OK even with the 10.6.2 update.

I've tried a lot of versions of VoodoHDA.kext including the last one 32-64 recompiled for SL, I configured the voodoohdahelper in the user startup preference (it works and preferences are loaded), i removed the applehda.kext, ... and no microphone sound in the applications, even the test app from OSX.

The output sound has always been working.

Can you help me ? Tell me what i can bring to you.

[EDIT] Resolved by tuning the level in the Voodoo PrefPane

I managed to get WIN7 going after installing OS X, but I am not sure exactly if everything I did was required or how to repeat the process.

If you could provide the steps it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, looks like the Dell DW1490 was no good, bought another from EBay, guess I'll try again.

BTW, looks like the Dell DW1490 was no good, bought another from EBay, guess I'll try again.

Ok! here how I got my working OSx and win7 after 3 fail attempt.

download chameleon rc3package install it on a usb drive make sure you format it as HFS you're going to need this to boot both OSes later.

Now let get starting:

Format and create your own Partition with HFS (Guide.) I create 4 partition for my HD the first 2 I use HFS

the last two I use fat.

1. Install SL on 1st partition like you normally do after completion and your Mac is running reboot pop in your win7 disk.

2. Format the partition that you like to install Win7 to (I use partiton 3) after installation completed. You can only boot to 7 at this time.

3. Open cmd(run as Admin) type in

Diskpart

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list partition (Find what number your OS X partition is, pay attention to the size to determine)

DISKPART> select partition X (replace X with the number of your partition. IF you want OSx to be the main booting system select your OSx partitions)

DISKPART> active

exit

exit

Restart you PC with the USB flash drive.

Now we are goig to use the USB to boot our PC(make sure your PC boot off the flash drive)

1. Once we are in SL (download chameleon rc4package and install it to your Mac HD)

2. Open your com.apple.boot.plist and change the timeout second to at least 3sec. save everything

and restart.

You will know have 3sec to select which OSes you want to boot.

BTW, looks like the Dell DW1490 was no good, bought another from EBay, guess I'll try again

Hey Guys, i have a perfectly dual boot SL 10.6.1 & Win 7 on my D630, by following these steps EXACTLY:

(BTW, its a direct copy and paste from an early post in this thread, I just added a copule of notes i thought would be useful)

*install SL on 1st partition - follow leppy's guide

*install W7 on 2nd partition, REBOOT

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL, this will rather show the file system and not say Snow leo)

* write

* quit

*RUN again the post_install.cmd from leppy's cd. "if i did not run the post install, after reboot ill get a blinking curser"

*REBOOT and make sure SL are ok.

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 3 (W7 you will have to know the file system as the info will not say Win 7, but something like NTFS file system)

* write

* quit

*REBOOT and select Windows 7 in Dual Boot

its going to ask you to repair your win7, just follow the instruction. (put dvd in the tray and boot from it following the repair to boot loader instructions)

*reboot & boot to leppy's cd again.

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL)

* write

* quit ( I wrote exit and that worked to exit out of the terminal)

I bolded the 3 things (using the boot cd and not the HDD) that gave me the most problems above, also, when you are completed, make sure to hit the down arrow or the enter key when the bootloader starts to load, it will expose the boot option for Win 7, that was the issue I had not taken into account and thought the processes failed, mine does o by quickly, maybe 5 seconds and it defaults to Snow

On another note, I updated my SL to 10.6.2 and had KP, so did a full reinstall this past weekend, I will just stick with 10.6.1 for now, (T2600, 1 gb Ram, nVidia, Dell 1490 )

Cheers

BTW, looks like the Dell DW1490 was no good, bought another from EBay, guess I'll try again

Hey Guys, i have a perfectly dual boot SL 10.6.1 & Win 7 on my D630, by following these steps EXACTLY:

(BTW, its a direct copy and paste from an early post in this thread, I just added a copule of notes i thought would be useful)

*install SL on 1st partition - follow leppy's guide

*install W7 on 2nd partition, REBOOT

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL, this will rather show the file system and not say Snow leo)

* write

* quit

*RUN again the post_install.cmd from leppy's cd. "if i did not run the post install, after reboot ill get a blinking curser"

*REBOOT and make sure SL are ok.

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 3 (W7 you will have to know the file system as the info will not say Win 7, but something like NTFS file system)

* write

* quit

*REBOOT and select Windows 7 in Dual Boot

its going to ask you to repair your win7, just follow the instruction. (put dvd in the tray and boot from it following the repair to boot loader instructions)

*reboot & boot to leppy's cd again.

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL)

* write

* quit ( I wrote exit and that worked to exit out of the terminal)

I bolded the 3 things (using the boot cd and not the HDD) that gave me the most problems above, also, when you are completed, make sure to hit the down arrow or the enter key when the bootloader starts to load, it will expose the boot option for Win 7, that was the issue I had not taken into account and thought the processes failed, mine does o by quickly, maybe 5 seconds and it defaults to Snow

That looks about right to me.

On another note, I updated my SL to 10.6.2 and had KP, so did a full reinstall this past weekend, I will just stick with 10.6.1 for now, (T2600, 1 gb Ram, nVidia, Dell 1490 )

Cheers

Are you using sleepenabler.kext? If so, that's the source of your KP after 10.6.2 update. There's a new version just for 10.6.2.

Hello all,

Has anyone gotten a microphone to work with Snowy and the D620 using Leppy's fine install? I recently bought a simple plug in mic that on the box says that it is compatible with both windows and OSX, I plugged into into my D620 and it does not appear to work. Is there a preferred mic out there that works with our laptop on Snowy 6.2?

Thanks,

A.

That looks about right to me.

Are you using sleepenabler.kext? If so, that's the source of your KP after 10.6.2 update. There's a new version just for 10.6.2.

No, the only additions I made to the install, after the post install from your boot CD, was the speedstep kexts as described some pages back ( I cant say if it works or not, but the system is very stable and when I do stuff like video conversion, The fan kicks up to high),

When I did the 10.6.2 upgrade, i used the software update, since i already have a copy of the 10.6.1 update dmg file downloaded and burned to CD i can do that upgrade as a stand alone,

Since there was no real confirmation on the sleep issue, I just avoided that whole matter completely

I now have a backup install on a USB drive that i can use for experiments before applying any new things to my internal HDD install

For another report, the Mic Voodoo file that was posted recently works perfectly as well, it does need to be 'turned up' each time I boot, but i can even do the 'speak' commands now - Whoo Hoo (actually typing this in SL now, it feels faster than W7 to me)

Hello all,

Has anyone gotten a microphone to work with Snowy and the D620 using Leppy's fine install? I recently bought a simple plug in mic that on the box says that it is compatible with both windows and OSX, I plugged into into my D620 and it does not appear to work. Is there a preferred mic out there that works with our laptop on Snowy 6.2?

Thanks,

A.

Yes mic works, look a few posts above yours. USB soundcards need to be selected as the input/output device in sound prefs or configured as an aggregated device in Audio/Midi Utility. Look up my thread on how to set up multi-channel audio if you need instructions for setting up aggregates.

Has anyone tried this to get sleep to work?

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/dell-d620-6...ext-pack-t3840/

It KPs my install.

BTW, Has anyone with nVidia got at least the display sleep to work?

ON AN UNRELATED TOPIC:

Pro Logic / Garage Band; if your loops are not working it's due to a sample rate mismatch; make sure the sample rate of your project is the same as the one in Audio MIDI Setup.app in your utilities folder. To avoid clock sync issues in Pro Logic you will need to use an Aggregate with a working clock source.

NOTE: THIS IS FOR A10 D620 BIOS!!!

OK, decided to give DSDT patching a go...

Attached is a cleaned up dsdt.dsl and a patched dsdt.aml & .dsl. I used DSDTse to edit and compile; all the hacks are from that tool. Errors/Warnings were fixed mostly from DSDTse & Ubuntu forums instructions. So, I've installed the patched aml and will start to remove kexts from /extra. If I don't post for a while... it's bit me on my arse.

First of all.

Arsecustard, why do we have 2 RTCs? argh, Dell!

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x10,			   // Alignment
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0072,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0072,			 // Range Maximum
						0x02,			   // Alignment
						0x06,			   // Length
						)
				})
				Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (RT)

Maybe they know http://bbs.pcbeta.com/archiver/tid-586045.html ?

Here are the edits and their descriptions as taken from the DSDTSE hack files:

RTC fix.

Consists in eliminating all the IRQs from RTC.

original code:

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
	IO (Decode16,
		0x01,			   // Alignment
		0x08,			   // Length
		)
	IRQNoFlags ()
		{8}
})
}

Clean Code:

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
	IO (Decode16,
		0x01,			   // Alignment
		0x08,			   // Length
		)
})
}

There must be no IRQ code left in RTC

HPET FIX

This fix allows us to load the driver Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, and in that way have the option to use the native speedstep available in osx

This is the HPET code from a Mac:

Device (HPET)
		   {
			   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
			   Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
			   {
				   IRQNoFlags ()
					   {0}
				   IRQNoFlags ()
					   {8}
				   Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
					   0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
					   0x00000400,		 // Address Length
					   _Y09)
			   })

This is the HPET code from a PC:

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
{
	Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
		_Y0F)
})

We only have to add the "Irqnoflags" and that would fix it.

IRQNoFlags ()
   {0}
  IRQNoFlags ()
   {8}

After adding "Irqnoflags", here is what it would look like on your DSDT:

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
{
   IRQNoFlags ()
	  {0}
   IRQNoFlags ()
	  {8}
	Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
		_Y0F)
})

On some machines, this hack enables sleep.

At the end of the _WAK method, this must be added:

Return (Package (0x02)
{
Zero, 
Zero
})

Example:

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	P8XH (One, 0xAB)
	If (LOr (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03), LEqual (Arg0, 0x04)))
	{
		If (And (CFGD, 0x01000000))
		{
			If (LAnd (And (CFGD, 0xF0), LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1)))
			{
				TRAP (0x3D)
			}
		}
	}

If (LEqual (RP2D, Zero))
	{
		Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP02, Zero)
	}

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03)) {}
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
	{
		\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.SELE ()
	}

P8XH (Zero, 0xCD)

Return (Package (0x02)
	{
		Zero, [b]#this was 0x00 in our BIOS[/b]
		Zero [b]#this was 0x00 in our BIOS[/b]
	})
}

You must use the search feature to locate the _WAK section and add the hack

Final compile output

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090903 [sep 3 2009]

Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

ASL Input: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 6350 lines, 226835 bytes, 1989 keywords

AML Output: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/./dsdt.aml - 19549 bytes, 662 named objects, 1327 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 673 Optimizations

Right, Tally Ho!!

Anyway, the aml file doesn't do any harm. I will see if it lets me remove some kexts from /e/e/ tomorrow.

Cleaned_up.dsl.zip

patched.dsdt.dsl.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

NOTE: THIS IS FOR A10 D620 BIOS!!!

Final compile output

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090903 [sep 3 2009]

Copyright � 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

ASL Input: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 6350 lines, 226835 bytes, 1989 keywords

AML Output: /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/./dsdt.aml - 19549 bytes, 662 named objects, 1327 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 673 Optimizations

Right, Tally Ho!!

Anyway, the aml file doesn't do any harm. I will see if it lets me remove some kexts from /e/e/ tomorrow.

If you are generating a DSDT file to patch using OS X, one thing I found when I was doing this on my Atom machine was that it is important to do this with just enough kexts to get single user mode going and use the command line tools to generate a dsdt file from BIOS. Kexts can inject their own junk into the process that results in a less than optimum DSDT patch.

That said, good job, and I am watching your progress with great interest.

Kexts can inject their own junk into the process that results in a less than optimum DSDT patch.

Yeah, I saw that - was manually trying to remove some methods; I think your idea might be better. I got sleep working for one brief, shining, moment; unfortunately after reboot it was gone... And since I did a number of changes I'm not sure which fixed/broke sleep. LOL, this might take more than one evening, don't know how much time i'll have with the holiday insanity - but I'll plug at it. Dell definitely seems to have it's own dialect...

Hey guys!

Problems away, i wanted to try out the other kext pack that was shown here via link and messed up my install. No biggie there although when i wanted to reinstall i got the Hold Down Power Button message, i then tried 10.5.6 and it worked so i formatted the disk with the 10.5.6 disc, now when i pop in the SL install dvd it gives me an error "Memory error". Not sure what caused this, 10.5.6 runs normally although having problems with the graphics.

Any ideas?

Mikk.

Hey guys!

Problems away, i wanted to try out the other kext pack that was shown here via link and messed up my install. No biggie there although when i wanted to reinstall i got the Hold Down Power Button message, i then tried 10.5.6 and it worked so i formatted the disk with the 10.5.6 disc, now when i pop in the SL install dvd it gives me an error "Memory error". Not sure what caused this, 10.5.6 runs normally although having problems with the graphics.

Any ideas?

Mikk.

Make sure you use the correct boot CD before trying to run the install DVD.

Make sure you use the correct boot CD before trying to run the install DVD.

Problem lied in the new 1GB memory that i added. After removing that everything started up and is installing right now. Im thinking that the boot CD might not be acceptable to 3GB RAM installations?

Mikk.

Problem lied in the new 1GB memory that i added. After removing that everything started up and is installing right now. Im thinking that the boot CD might not be acceptable to 3GB RAM installations?

Mikk.

It's more likely that your new ram is bad or it's not well matched.

thank you, thank you!

running 10.5.6 on my dell d420.

Got everything running even with a Leopard upgrade DVD (trick is to choose "restore with time machine" then cancel, which takes you back to the installation page, but this time with the "continue" button made clickable) on my d420, which I just could not get the video to work. but with Leppy600m's ISO it worked!

sleep is perfect with the password in Bios after the clamshell kext install from "dell laptops post installer" (thanks to Gujal)

but I just can't get any form of scrolling to work unfortunately. granted I could be loading the kexts wrong, but I've tried the voodoo ps2 kext and the alps driver with FFScroll to no avail. (anyone have any hints for that?)

I have been doing a lot of reading in this topic and I haven't see this problem - probably because it is so specific.

To start I have the D620 with Intel graphics and am running 10.6.2. It works quite well and I even have the PCMCIA working with the fix from this thread (yay for firewire!).

My audio was working quite similarly to everyone else here in that input support is weak but it's not of concern to me really. I tend to switch between headphones and the internal speakers a lot. When I was running 10.5.x I was able to do this after having done a lot of work with the Dell Post Installers.

When I first installed 10.6.2 I was able to use the internal speakers. After the first time I plugged in the headphones they would not switch back. The headphones continue to work but the audio card seems to be stuck in that mode and the internal speakers don't work any longer.

The interesting thing is that when trying to get the PCMCIA working I pooched the install 100%. I ended up having to do a restore from a TimeMachine backup (holy cow TM rocks!).

The first reboot after having restored from TimeMachine by internal speakers were back. Next I tried earphones - which worked. Then unplugging them they are back in a 'stuck' state.

Any ideas?

Did you change the source in system prefs after unplugging?

I only have one output in the sound prefs page. Funny you replied because I just was able to get them working again. Something is very strange because for the hell of it when I unplugged the headphones this time and nothing came out of the internal speakers, I shot the headphone connector in the mic/line in jack. As soon as it was in the sound reverted to the internal speakers!

How weird is that? Sounds like the detection of the connector is hardware based but the switch is software/driver based and so something is not pointing to the correct address.

Any ideas now? :rolleyes: