[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Generally Yes, I haven't tried it on a 620; but previously miniPCIe WWAN cards have worked on other Leopard Hackies. Assuming the chipset driver was included by Apple. They show up as modems in your network prefs. There is one caveat; only some sims will work - some will keep asking for sim pin - and it won't matter if you pin the sim or not. I have not bothered trying to source a miniPCIe card because :

a) I use the slot for a second WLAN card (or possibly a SSD once they become cheaper.)

;) The ones I could find were really expensive for fairly old tech. Over here I can get a prepay HDSPA USB 7.2MBit card for ~ $30 incl. month's data. The Dell ones are old 3G that's only good for 2.6MBit (or 256Kbit for some models), the world mode (850/900/1900/2100) unlocked ones are 100$+.

c) USB makes it easy to move between computers; ripping out a miniPCIe is a real PITA.

d) No guarantee it'll work under OSX.

Having said that. If I stumble across a really cheap one, I might give it a shot.

I tried to see of using legacy kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/legacy-appleac...leacpiec-kexts/

to see if it would give us better temperature management. As you can see from curves below it did absolutely nothing. The slightly higher temp (1 degree) on 10.6.2 is probably due to it being a second run. Stable idle was 49 degrees on first run and on the second was 50; I couldn't be bothered waiting for it to cool down fully. As you can see the curve is the same and the 1 degree difference stays constant through the run. I used prime95 to load the cores to ~100%. Max temps were 82/83, idle 49/50 degrees Celsius, in case our imperial friends are wondering - that's ~ 180/120 of your funky degrees ;-) .

It'd be good if other people tried them out; incase it's just my rig being a pig.

tempwe.png

What program are you using to graph the temperature readings?

Thanks, leppy for the bootloader and tutorial. Worked perfectly for me out-of-the-box. :D

D620, GMA950, T7200, 3GB RAM

Added SleepEnabler.kext that was referenced here to my /e/e folder and now the thing won't boot. Will revert tonight, hopefully it will work (updated VoodooHDA and fakesmc v2 from earlier posts as well).

Planning on getting my Fn key to function. Found link below. If anyone got it to work, please let me know.

http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/

Thanks, leppy for the bootloader and tutorial. Worked perfectly for me out-of-the-box. :(

D620, GMA950, T7200, 3GB RAM

Added SleepEnabler.kext that was referenced here to my /e/e folder and now the thing won't boot. Will revert tonight, hopefully it will work (updated VoodooHDA and fakesmc v2 from earlier posts as well).

Planning on getting my Fn key to function. Found link below. If anyone got it to work, please let me know.

http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/

All my function-keys work. :)

I would avoid SleepEnabler like the plague. You don't need it anyhow.

All my function-keys work. ;)

I would avoid SleepEnabler like the plague. You don't need it anyhow.

You guys continued to discuss SleepEnabler, so I felt left out :)

Regarding Fn keys: I think I phrased that wrong and it might be a bit dumb to do this, but what I am after are those pop-ups you get on-screen when you adjust brightness, change volume, etc. Those dedicated keys for volume (that don't require Fn key) work with the onscreen pop-up, while brightness gets adjusted properly, but no onscreen.. I know this is stupid, but I want it. I will post my results, if it works

Vlad, you should patch your DSDT and use that method, if you are not confident in patching your own DSDT try the one leppy posted with his extra folder. If it works for you, you will have sleep etc, if it does not, you will have a KP. Just remember to move boot0 to root & to use Kext Utility after messing with e/e/ or s/l/e.

Leppy, perhaps you should add an EXPERIMENTAL section to first post? Put your DSDT, bootloader & extras folder and outline how to install them. I just got feedback from a friend who used it on his D620 with no problems, just needed mini Voodoo power kext for speedstep - same as me. It seems this is more and more a viable option, as long as someone knows how to remove it if necessary. My 2c.

Hello,

I know this is a little off topic. I have a fully working Dell D620 with 10.6.2. All works perfectly. I have it plugged into a docking station, and all of the pass throughs work. In the docking station I have a brand new nvidia 8400 gs. I tried setting the video to docking station, and when the system boots it start to boot up, then eventually dies with the rotating circle. Do you think there is away for me to get this vidoe card working when plugged into the docking station, and when undocked utilize the onboard video?

I have it such that when I plug the laptop into the docking station the video automatically sets to 1980 * 1200, when undocked it sets to the standard lcd screen 1400 ... This is using the onboard 960 grpx.

Anyway thought I would ask,

Thank you,

Brian

Hello,

I know this is a little off topic. I have a fully working Dell D620 with 10.6.2. All works perfectly. I have it plugged into a docking station, and all of the pass throughs work. In the docking station I have a brand new nvidia 8400 gs. I tried setting the video to docking station, and when the system boots it start to boot up, then eventually dies with the rotating circle. Do you think there is away for me to get this vidoe card working when plugged into the docking station, and when undocked utilize the onboard video?

I have it such that when I plug the laptop into the docking station the video automatically sets to 1980 * 1200, when undocked it sets to the standard lcd screen 1400 ... This is using the onboard 960 grpx.

Anyway thought I would ask,

Thank you,

Brian

Maybe the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag would work - it would fail when you boot out of the dock with the GMA950 and possibly work in the dock with Nvidia 8800.

Leppy, perhaps you should add an EXPERIMENTAL section to first post? Put your DSDT, bootloader & extras folder and outline how to install them. I just got feedback from a friend who used it on his D620 with no problems, just needed mini Voodoo power kext for speedstep - same as me. It seems this is more and more a viable option, as long as someone knows how to remove it if necessary. My 2c.
Yep, good idea. I just need to make a back out procedure so people aren't stuck with a machine that panics.

Hello Leppy700m,

I tried the GraphicsEnabler=Yes, no dice. The screen m freezes as the circle rotates. I believe the system is conituing to boot though.

Just the screen is not working.

BR

Maybe the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag would work - it would fail when you boot out of the dock with the GMA950 and possibly work in the dock with Nvidia 8800.

Yep, good idea. I just need to make a back out procedure so people aren't stuck with a machine that panics.

Just a quick question for you Dell owners.

Would this also work with a Dell D430? Or is the difference between the D420 and D430 significant?

Thinking about purchasing one and would like to install SL and leaning more towards the D420 because a few people have already confirmed everything working.

Looks like they both use i945gm chipset but dell has different drivers listed on the website for the models.

D420 lists as 8.1.1.1010

D430 lists as 8.2.0.1014

But the gpu driver is the same.

Looks like they're the same except the processor.

This works so much better than my cobbled together install! I tried upgrading to 10.6.2 and everything works fine except sleep. Can I fix this or should I just stick with a previous version if I want sleep functionality? Any input would be appreciated.

Leppy posted his DSDT if you can't patch your own; it might work for you. Sleep only works via dsdt patch plus NO sleep enabler & disabler kexts.

Well given that it'll KP with it; about the only thing to do is to boot the install DVD, go into terminal, and delete the DSDT file.
Sort of. It's not quite that simple because when you boot the install DVD, the the DVD is mounted root, not the HD. You have to

rm "/Volumes/whatever your HD volume name is/Extra/dsdt.aml"

So unless someone knows the volume name (they should), they'll have to navigate to /Volumes first to figure it out. If that's too confusing, I am afraid they'll be SOL.

Hello Leppy700m,

I tried the GraphicsEnabler=Yes, no dice. The screen m freezes as the circle rotates. I believe the system is conituing to boot though.

Just the screen is not working.

BR

Then the only thing I can think of is using two different USB boot loaders instead of booting from the hard drive. A pair of cheap 1 GB usb thumb drives should be fine. You really have two completely different environments there - and MAC OS might be able to handle that on MAC hardware, but you're pushing beyond the limit of it's flexibilty. With USB boot loaders, you could have a virgin MAC drive and custom boot files for any environment. Please don't ask me how to get it going with your hardware - I don't have it so I can't test. The undocked side should be easy enough, but it's going to take some trial and error to get the docked side working properly. To start, research how to make a MACOS bootable thumb drive. Copy the /Extra directory your hard drive that my post created to the root of the thumb drive and you should have a working boot for the undocked lappy. Repeat for the other thumb drive, then delete /extra from the HD and customize one of the thumb drives for docking.

Sort of. It's not quite that simple because when you boot the install DVD, the the DVD is mounted root, not the HD. You have to

rm "Volumes/whatever your HD volume name is/Extra/dsdt.aml"

So unless someone knows the volume name (they should), they'll have to navigate to /Volumes first to figure it out.

Yep - that's what I meant. It's not hard.

Been messing with my DSDT, I can resume by mouse click now & can leave wake from USB on (not what I was trying to fix btw). Unfortunately if I sleep the lappy manually all is good, if I let it time out there's ~1/4 chance the display won't come on. Which reminds me, anyone got the ambient light sensor working? Mine thinks it's pitch black all the time. Oh and, I have mystery wire coming out of my screen bezel, it comes out together with the 2 wan cables and has the same connector and colour as the primary wan cable. But, instead it veers to the middle of logic board and is not connected to anything. You can see if you take the keyboard off. Any ideas?

Anyhow, going back to leppy's dsdt and starting again - this time I'm taking notes and rebooting after each edit. You really have to reboot after each speculative edit. It's mighty tedious.

Just a quick question for you Dell owners.

Would this also work with a Dell D430? Or is the difference between the D420 and D430 significant?

Thinking about purchasing one and would like to install SL and leaning more towards the D420 because a few people have already confirmed everything working.

Looks like they both use i945gm chipset but dell has different drivers listed on the website for the models.

D420 lists as 8.1.1.1010

D430 lists as 8.2.0.1014

But the gpu driver is the same.

Looks like they're the same except the processor.

If the D430 didn't use the 3100 graphics like the D630 intel did, it might work. If the boot cd/DVD get you to the install program, it's a very good sign.
Yep - that's what I meant. It's not hard.

Been messing with my DSDT, I can resume by mouse click now & can leave wake from USB on (not what I was trying to fix btw). Unfortunately if I sleep the lappy manually all is good, if I let it time out there's ~1/4 chance the display won't come on. Which reminds me, anyone got the ambient light sensor working? Mine thinks it's pitch black all the time. Oh and, I have mystery wire coming out of my screen bezel, it comes out together with the 2 wan cables and has the same connector and colour as the primary wan cable. But, instead it veers to the middle of logic board and is not connected to anything. You can see if you take the keyboard off. Any ideas?

Anyhow, going back to leppy's dsdt and starting again - this time I'm taking notes and rebooting after each edit. You really have to reboot after each speculative edit. It's mighty tedious.

Okay, you've got my attention: what'd you do to get USB resume working?

If you set the display sleep to be equal to the machine sleep, the display will still sleep first, and it won't wake until the machine goes to sleep fully. If I mess up and try to wake it before it goes to full sleep, I can force it to full sleep with some keystrokes - I forget which - I just keep hitting ctrl-sleep fn sleep fn esc - basically beat that corner of the keyboard until the machine submits. One of these days I'll actually figure out the key combo that's actually working for me.

I think we all have the mystery wire. I think it's a another antenna wire for something or other that I don't have. Some wifi cards have three antenna connectors. It's like the wiring harness in my car - it's got a connection for heated seats, but I don't have them - I like cloth seats and they don't heat those.

I have mystery wire coming out of my screen bezel, it comes out together with the 2 wan cables and has the same connector and colour as the primary wan cable. But, instead it veers to the middle of logic board and is not connected to anything. You can see if you take the keyboard off. Any ideas?

That wire is for a WWAN card (Mobile Broadband card):

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...d.htm#wp1084976

Btw, got my laptop to boot fine again after booting into the system with a disc and rerunning "post_install" script. consolation, thanks for suggesting Kext Utility.

That wire is for a WWAN card (Mobile Broadband card):

No it's not, look at my sig; I'm running dual wan cards so wwan antennae are connected. It doesn't come out near wwan slot but by the CPU socket.

Okay, you've got my attention: what'd you do to get USB resume working?

Well, I THOUGHT it was my edit to fix the USB unmount issue combined with attempt at fixing display only sleep (I'll post my broken dsdt when I get back from work, just don't try to use it, I think I kept it) - that's when it started working. Weird thing is; even after I put back your DSDT I still have it working, except the display won't wake when I wake via mouse click.

If you set the display sleep to be equal to the machine sleep, the display will still sleep first, and it won't wake until the machine goes to sleep fully. If I mess up and try to wake it before it goes to full sleep, I can force it to full sleep with some keystrokes - I forget which - I just keep hitting ctrl-sleep fn sleep fn esc - basically beat that corner of the keyboard until the machine submits. One of these days I'll actually figure out the key combo that's actually working for me.

Yeah, but it doesn't always work even if it's been asleep for hours; will try your key combo trick.

Some wifi cards have three antenna connectors. It's like the wiring harness in my car - it's got a connection for heated seats, but I don't have them - I like cloth seats and they don't heat those.

It doesn't terminate anywhere where there conceivably could be a card, even though - it looks just like an antennae connector. Maybe feed from ambient light sensor to backlit keyboard?

My SAAB has cloth heated seats ;-) Toasty bottom in winter.

Does anyone's light sensor work as advertised?

No it's not, look at my sig; I'm running dual wan cards so wwan antennae are connected. It doesn't come out near wwan slot but by the CPU socket.

It doesn't terminate anywhere where there conceivably could be a card, even though - it looks just like an antennae connector. Maybe feed from ambient light sensor to backlit keyboard?

My SAAB has cloth heated seats ;-) Toasty bottom in winter.

Does anyone's light sensor work as advertised?

My light sensor works great, if you take a flashlight and shine into it close up, you can see the immediate results, btw, maybe the extra antenna is for bluetooth, the module should be located just under the 'Latitude D620 bezel, close to the cpu vicinity

Quick note, my test on that 3d app you asked was the same result as Leppy's nvidia machine, 5807 mine is core duo (non c2d) Nvidia 1400x900

Question, anyone having issues with their nvidia graphics, especially after lots of quicktime or flash videos or gameplay?, mine tends to lock up the machine and under W7, I can see some pretty high GPU temps, been reading about a copper shim mod, thinking of that route, takes about 10 mins to cool off and return to normal, also, i have 1 gb ram, thinking of an upgrade, would an additional 1 stick of 2 gb be ok, or although this is a non 64 bit cpu, go and do a full 2 x 2 gb (total 4 gb) upgrade?, suggestions welcome

Hi leppy.

I wanted to thank you for the great work you have done. Your D620 bootloader is the only one I have been able to get to partially work. I have a Toshiba P105 S6024 with the Intel 945 Express Crapset. I have to set the D620 to boot in safe mode but it does install Snow Leopard. Not much works. I have video and video acceleration, sata hard drive, dvd burner, and was able to get the PRO/100 VE ethernet controller working as well by adding the controller vendor and device id to the kext. None of the audio kexts or fixes work. They all are ICH6 compliant and my hardware is ICH7. No USB or wireless. I do know the 3945/ABG currently is not supported. I have a few questions

1. Would you be willing to work with me to build a bootloader for the P105?
    2. If not, could you give me direction or direct me to the proper documentation so I can make an attempt on my own?
    3. I would more than willing to be you test platform for the P105.

I not a total newbie, I do program visual studio .Net applications, some moderate Linux experience and I am willing to help as much as I can. Exported Hardware List:

Toshiba P105 S6024 Satellite Notebook.

Phoenix Bios Version: 4.07

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27dO] (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:2704] (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 02)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c4] (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 02)

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/WireIess 3945ABG Network Connection [8086:4222] (rev 02)

0a:04.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller [104c:8039]

0a:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller [104c:803a]

0a:04.2 Mass storage controller [0180]: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD) [104c:803b]

0a:04.3 SD Host controller [0805]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller [104c:803c]

0a:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation PFIO/100 VE Network Connection [8086:1092] (rev 02)

Keep up the great work and let me know if you can help...

Doug

Hi Leppy700m

Just wanted to let you know here's another D420 working very well at 10.6.2 after following your guide. Thanks very much. I pretty much had given up with this little notebook after building a Kalyway 10.5.2 install up to 10.5.6. It used to sleep/wake on lid close/open and power settings about 80% of the time. The voodoohda kext worked pretty well but needed a script to get good sound after wake.

Your installer has breathed new life into my d420. I can live without sleep. The keyboard shortcut for shutdown makes finishing a session pretty painless and boot up time is quite fast.

Not sure if the DSDT stuff if for me or even if it's worth trying as strictly speaking your thread is about it's bigger brother. Maybe I'll give it a go when I have some time.

For now I'm happy with what I have. Performance is pretty good and it does everything that's been asked of it so far.

Once again, thanks again for all your work. It's guys like you that make this hobby so absorbing. BTW, typing this on my MacBook Pro which just keeps everything in perspective. The Dell is very good at running SL, but I'll always use my Mac whenever I can.

Hi Leppy: I'm new here so pls. understand if I'm not following all the protocols. I've downloaded and burned boot CD's and followed your directions. I consistently get "Install Failed" Max OSX could not be installed on your computer. he installer could not copy the necessary files. Click restart to ....... blah blah.

Things seem to work as you document, I've even used Disk Utility to format the drive (GUID), the installer starts, the DVD runs and the light flash ...like files are being copied. A progress bar shows ~30 minutes to finish... then, I get the listed error. I've tried OSX 10.6 (yes, I bought the retail DVD), and OSX 10.5 (also retail DVD). In both cases, multiple times, each install fails the same way at the same point.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx, Ed