[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

You need to ensure that you have the most recent VoodooHDA. I think that 0.2.3 fixes the sound glitches after sleep issue. I don't think you need the other two .kexts. I don't have 'em and sound works flawlessly.

Where do I find this version? I have several - some 64 bit and some 32 bit - and they all do the same thing after sleep. I've looked for a 0.2.3 - no joy. I get the same result with all kexts in 32 and 64 bit modes, except for the ones that don't work at all in 64 bit mode.

Lid sleep and wake works for me when I'm on battery power, but when I'm on AC, closing the lid doesn't do anything. Opening still wakes properly.

Same here.

If I do a hot dock/undock, I lose the trackpad.

The only niggly things that are still bugging me are that the trackpad occasionally goes completely nuts and the USB ports still aren't working 100% correctly.

Leaving a usb key plugged in to USB during sleep on battery power results in a warning about correctly un-mounting devices. Digging deeper into the issue, I found that Dell doesn't provide any power to the USB ports during sleep, so I don't think there is a solution to the USB sleep issue while on battery power. While I'm on AC, the ports behave correctly with the USB patches I linked to above. I also occasionally encounter OHCI errors with the USB ports, but these errors don't appear to affect functionality and are probably just verbose output from the debug USB kexts that I installed from the developer site to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts between the USB ports and the HPET device.

I think that the trackpad issues are due to the hacked VoodooPS2 driver I got from the voodooprojects site that enables side-scrolling with the ALPs trackpad. When I use the drivers provided by leppy, I lose side-scrolling but the trackpad has never gotten erratic or stopped working.

Remove the trackpad plugin from the VoodooPS2.kext. That's your issue with the nutty trackpad & mouse functions.

The screen doesn't wake properly when it goes to power-save mode, but a simple wakeup script solves that issue. I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop, I think that the problem is that the 7-series nVidia cards don't behave properly because Apple never had a 7-series mobile card in its lineup.

What script are you using and how do you invoke it? I just put the machine to sleep using Fn+Escape, then wake it again. Not the fastest solution, but it works.

All-in-all, I'm really happy with the D620 as a hackintosh notebook. If I can get c-states going, the batter life is going to be pretty good. I'm getting 3.5 - 4 hours with the extended battery now, with c-states, I should get well past 4.5 hours.

Amen. Thanks for motivating me to do more work on this with your good news about sleep.

I'm using the D620SLv1.iso thing, but when I put my Snow Leopard disc from the Apple Store in, I doesn't work. I doesn't work with Empire FI, Rebel EFI, or the older Boot 132. I bought the $30.00 disc, as it contains the full version (Or I think It did) Is my disc defective? Also, I can install OSX 10.5.4 Server. it installed fine. But how will I be able to update to 10.5.8? I used Apple's software update, and it kernel panicked. I'm going to try, going to 10.5.5, then 10.5.6, then doing what Your guide said. If you have recommendations, let me know, as I'm a bit lost. Leppy, thatnks for your amazing work! It makes hackintoshing that much easier.

PS,

I have the D620, with 3GB ram, and Intel Core Duo T2300E at 1.66GHz, and the Intel GMA 950 on a GMA945 chipset. I do not have the Nvidia option.

I'm using the D620SLv1.iso thing, but when I put my Snow Leopard disc from the Apple Store in, I doesn't work. I doesn't work with Empire FI, Rebel EFI, or the older Boot 132. I bought the $30.00 disc, as it contains the full version (Or I think It did) Is my disc defective? Also, I can install OSX 10.5.4 Server. it installed fine. But how will I be able to update to 10.5.8? I used Apple's software update, and it kernel panicked. I'm going to try, going to 10.5.5, then 10.5.6, then doing what Your guide said. If you have recommendations, let me know, as I'm a bit lost. Leppy, thatnks for your amazing work! It makes hackintoshing that much easier.

PS,

I have the D620, with 3GB ram, and Intel Core Duo T2300E at 1.66GHz, and the Intel GMA 950 on a GMA945 chipset. I do not have the Nvidia option.

Some DVD readers have trouble reading the 10.6.0 install disk. Keep hitting F10 to try to load the DVD. If that doesn't work, then you can use the boot CD to boot a copy of the install DVD restored to a 8 GB USB drive.

Okay. Could that still be the DVD drive's issue, even when Rebel EFI is used? It loads the SL DVD for 1 second, then kernal panicks? Also, if I use a Thumb drive, do I just highlight te cotents on the retail snow leopard disc onto a thumb drive, and will that work? Also how will te booting of a thumb drive work? Do I have to do any different steps? Or do all the steps, as if it was the DVD?

Thank You Leppy for your help, and great work. I'm really glad you made hackintoshing that much easier for beginers.

Pulling my hair out here. I have a d630 with nvidia graphics card. I put in the D620SLV1.iso and it boots up fine and sees the USB drive that I have put the SL image on. I choose that and I get the gray screen for a while. Then everything goes blank. Display is black. Computer is on but I see nothing. I know this must be a problem with the graphics but I'm a complete noob and have no idea what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Pulling my hair out here. I have a d630 with nvidia graphics card. I put in the D620SLV1.iso and it boots up fine and sees the USB drive that I have put the SL image on. I choose that and I get the gray screen for a while. Then everything goes blank. Display is black. Computer is on but I see nothing. I know this must be a problem with the graphics but I'm a complete noob and have no idea what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

How did you put the SL image on the USB drive?

What wifi card supports injection and is also recognized by OSx86?

Dell (Broadcom) DW 1490 or 1500/1510 cards work fine.

Okay. Could that still be the DVD drive's issue, even when Rebel EFI is used? It loads the SL DVD for 1 second, then kernal panicks? Also, if I use a Thumb drive, do I just highlight te cotents on the retail snow leopard disc onto a thumb drive, and will that work? Also how will te booting of a thumb drive work? Do I have to do any different steps? Or do all the steps, as if it was the DVD?

Thank You Leppy for your help, and great work. I'm really glad you made hackintoshing that much easier for beginers.

EFI won't work unless it is configured with a kext pack for these machines. Use the OS X disk utility to restore the Snow Leo retail boot DVD to a 8gb or greater USB flash drive. With thte USB drive plugged in, boot from the D620SLV1 boot CD and then select the OS X install image you put on your USB flash drive.

I formatted the USB drive using another Snow' leopard mac. Then restored the SL image onto the USB.

How did you restore the DVD to the Flash drive if not from a MAC? Use the MAC disk utility.

It is the upgrade DVD.

Are you using an external monitor or laptop display? This should work with the laptop display - nothing connected to the VGA port and not docked.

How did you restore the DVD to the Flash drive if not from a MAC? Use the MAC disk utility.

I did restore it with another Mac using disk utility

Are you using an external monitor or laptop display? This should work with the laptop display - nothing connected to the VGA port and not docked.

I did have a monitor connected. I'll try it with out that.

That's odd. Here you are:

Also, here is the link to the thread detailing the sleepwatcher hack for screen wakeup.

Groovy - the hda kext works like a charm. Only caveat is that it won't load from /e/e. Thanks.

The voodoohda works in 64 bit mode too, and still works after wake from sleep.

The cscreen fix doesn't work quite right. I still have a a lot of vertical lines on the left side of the screen after the display wakes. Wake from full sleep works fine.

Leppy,

If you have done some customization to it, would you mind posting your DSDT? I'd like to start working through mine (I have a 620, too), and would like something to compare it against.

Thanks,

LT

It's a work in progress. I started with DSDT patcher, then patched in another IRQ in HPET and then patched USB devices and added DGTP method. Display only sleep is still not working, full sleep works about 95%. Shutdown and restart are sometimes slow. Using as is may well panic another machine. This machine has A10 bios, 2GB ram and NV110 graphics.

If you want to try it, move the boot file from this Extra directory to / of your Snow Leopard directpry. You won't have sound unless you move voodoohda to the /s/l/e directory. If you try this, don't forget to reboot with -f parameter at the Chameleon prompt, or you will certainly panic. Do this each time until you shutdown or reboot cleanly.

Or just look over my pretty ordinary dsdt.dsl.

Still want it?

Leppy, shutdown and restart are probably slow due to USB issues. Do you get random UIM errors during verbose boot? If so, you need to ensure that your HPET isn't conflicting IRQ choices with USB.

Leppy, shutdown and restart are probably slow due to USB issues. Do you get random UIM errors during verbose boot? If so, you need to ensure that your HPET isn't conflicting IRQ choices with USB.

Got it. I made some progress there. Thanks for all your input - it's been helpful.

D620NV110 - running pretty well now with DSDT - full sleep works, but display sleep does not. I think it's because I use an EFI string instead of the Chameleon video injector. I'll test that later. Progress has been made regarding shutdown/restart, but it is still slower than I'd like.

D620GMA950 - Display sleep works, but not full sleep. The machine doesn't wake properly using the same dsdt patches. I did manage dump all of the video kexts in /E/E by patching the DSDT to use the internal display. I may have to start over again on this one to get full sleep working, but with with vid fully working with no added kexts - it has a ton of promise.

How is the video performance for the nVidia users here? I'm getting some sluggish stacks menus and playing high-def flash video is definately out. It's not nearly as good as my old Toshiba, thus far, but that had a 7600 Go 128 MB, which is a much better card.

How is the video performance for the nVidia users here? I'm getting some sluggish stacks menus and playing high-def flash video is definately out. It's not nearly as good as my old Toshiba, thus far, but that had a 7600 Go 128 MB, which is a much better card.

The NV110 is pretty much an inferior chip to the 7600 with half the memory - which isn't much. The EFI string makes it about as good as it's going to get. I can use it on Hulu okay, where the GMA950 is kind of iffy. These are dated machines now. I think of mine as sort of a netbook with a much faster cpu. They are great for surfing, email and compiling code and running emulated VAX machines. Not so great at high def graphics. How do you have your graphics set up? Going from the chameleon graphics enabler to the EFI string made a huge difference here - with the caviat that even with the patched DSDT, I can't wake the display properly without going fully to sleep first.

The NV110 is pretty much an inferior chip to the 7600 with half the memory - which isn't much. The EFI string makes it about as good as it's going to get. I can use it on Hulu okay, where the GMA950 is kind of iffy. These are dated machines now. I think of mine as sort of a netbook with a much faster cpu. They are great for surfing, email and compiling code and running emulated VAX machines. Not so great at high def graphics. How do you have your graphics set up? Going from the chameleon graphics enabler to the EFI string made a huge difference here - with the caviat that even with the patched DSDT, I can't wake the display properly without going fully to sleep first.

I'm using the EFI string. Overall performance is pretty snappy, but the expose effects and stacks menus lag pretty heavily. I was hoping that it would be more responsive, is all. Does the interface work any smoother on a GMA-equipped 620?

I'm using the EFI string. Overall performance is pretty snappy, but the expose effects and stacks menus lag pretty heavily. I was hoping that it would be more responsive, is all. Does the interface work any smoother on a GMA-equipped 620?

To be honest, I don't notice much difference until I look at streamed video, then the Nvidia does better. Streaming HD vid from the internet doesn't work so well even with my Desktop with a 9800GT card in it. Seems netlag causes the buffer to run dry and I start getting the stutters during peak net use hours on popular sites. In windows 7 on the D620NV, I can plug into the ethernet and watch HD video recorded on PVR machine okay. Forget it on the GMA950 machine.

Ok, I've got a new problem. <_<

If I try to launch Activity Monitor, I get an instant kernel panic. Screenshot is attached below. I think that the issue can be backtraced to using 2 cpus via the VoodooTSCSync.kext.

leppy: Could you do me a favor and list the modified .kexts you're using in both Extra and S/L/E ? Also, if you could attach your com.apple.Boot.plist and your SMBios.plist, that'd be great. I want to chase this error down. That is, of course, you're not also getting a kernel panic when you launch Activity Monitor.

post-57247-1264777918_thumb.jpg