[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm getting KP's when booting to my SL DVD. . .

I have a Dell D620, and I am using your SLV boot CD to boot from, I don't know what I could be doing wrong. . .

EDIT: I disabled the multi core support in CMOS and I can boot now without a KP, but now I'm getting the infamous Still waiting for root device. . .

Okay I installed it on my Intel version of the D620 and the DVD player plays video however I still can't get the sleep or PCMCIA to work. Any ideas?

Sleep has not been solved YET and you might get PCMCIA working with other kexts scattered around insanely.

Mikk

Okay, so I decided I would replace my motherboard with the nvidia video card. But I might as well get the upgraded screen while I'm at it... Has anyone had problems with the 1440x900 resolution, or whatever it is?

1440x900 works with no problems on machines that support that resolution.

Hi

I'm getting KP's when booting to my SL DVD. . .

I have a Dell D620, and I am using your SLV boot CD to boot from, I don't know what I could be doing wrong. . .

EDIT: I disabled the multi core support in CMOS and I can boot now without a KP, but now I'm getting the infamous Still waiting for root device. . .

What kind of Snow Leopard DVD are you using? The restore DVD supplied with a New Mac will not work. You need the retail version sold in the box set or the Upgrade version.

You should not have to disable multi core support.

Sleep has not been solved YET and you might get PCMCIA working with other kexts scattered around insanely.

Mikk

Thanks, I did try the PCMCIA kexts and they gave me a nice KP when plugging in the card. I can't wait for the sleep to work though. I'm okay with no PCMCIA as there are always USB data card options.

Hey all,

Thanks for this very easy install method Snow works almost flawlessly! The only thing i don't get working is scrolling on my trackpad... did anyone manage to get side scrolling working? In Leopard i got it working with a voodooPs2 kext from hxxp://macyourpc.com/2009/05/20/side-scrolling-on-your-hackintosh. But I can't get it to work in snow.

Maybe this thread helps us but I couldn't get it to work hxxp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,245.0.html

Did anyone manage to get this working?

Cheers

ps. my configuration is a D620 with intel GMA950

Hey all,

Thanks for this very easy install method Snow works almost flawlessly! The only thing i don't get working is scrolling on my trackpad... did anyone manage to get side scrolling working? In Leopard i got it working with a voodooPs2 kext from hxxp://macyourpc.com/2009/05/20/side-scrolling-on-your-hackintosh. But I can't get it to work in snow.

Maybe this thread helps us but I couldn't get it to work hxxp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,245.0.html

Cheers

First of all, I would like to thank the developers for making the retail install pretty flawless. As someone mentioned, its is pretty close to the work Meklort has done with the Minis.

As a side note, I used the Snow Leopard procedure to install SL on my son's Compaq CQ2009F.

The question I have is I have a D620 (2.16 GHz Core2Duo, Nvidia 110 NVS, Broadcom Wifi. Most everything works, except that I can't get any DVDs to play using the built-in DVD player. I am receiving the following error:

There was an initialization error

The current machine or system configuration is not supported.

[-70013]

I am not sure what need to be done to resolve this. I did notice my card is showing up as a GeForce Go 7300. In addition, I do not see Quartz enabled, which may actually be the underlying problem. If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. If this has been previously covered, I apologize. Thanks!

Mark

Nice to see a father trying to make his son's life easier :(.

Anyways, in Snow Leopard the Developers in apple removed the showing of QE/CI in system profiler.

The way to see if it is working is to see if you have a semi transparent menubar.

But the initial video kext's are somewhat limiting. I found that watching videos on a site that has a lot of flash, the video kept lagging but a user posted his com.apple.boot.plist file here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1329188

install that and your video card will be recognized as a 110NVS and will have much better video graphics and it might fix the DVD player but might not. It has been a pain in the neck in Snow.

Mikk.

The mic thing still persists and i noticed that my 300GB HDD is showing up as 320GB.

Is anyone else getting something similar?

Mikk.

Hey all,

Cheers

ps. my configuration is a D620 with intel GMA950

Hey all I solved my trackapd scrolling issues in Snow Leopard! This i my solution:

Used the attached trackpad kext. Copied it to /Extra/Extensions/ and used Leppy700m's "rebuild_mkext.command". Chose option "1. 32 bit. (Increased stability and compatibility)"

Lastly I replaced "Trackpad.prefPane" (also included in the attached zip file) in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/

Reboot and your scrolling :(

Side_Scrolling_d620_Snow.zip

The prefpane does not pop up for me...

I clicked the prefpane and did restarts but it wont show up...

Strange..

EDIT: It seems that the prefpane that you gave wants to replace the mouse preference but since it is a vital part of OS X it does not let me change it...

Mikk

Nice to see a father trying to make his son's life easier :(.

Anyways, in Snow Leopard the Developers in apple removed the showing of QE/CI in system profiler.

The way to see if it is working is to see if you have a semi transparent menubar.

But the initial video kext's are somewhat limiting. I found that watching videos on a site that has a lot of flash, the video kept lagging but a user posted his com.apple.boot.plist file here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1329188

install that and your video card will be recognized as a 110NVS and will have much better video graphics and it might fix the DVD player but might not. It has been a pain in the neck in Snow.

Mikk.

The mic thing still persists and i noticed that my 300GB HDD is showing up as 320GB.

Is anyone else getting something similar?

Mikk.

You are right - on both my Mac mini and Macbook, I no longer see the Quartz status after I installed Snow Leopard. My menu bar is translucent and Front Row loads, so I think I am okay in regards to Quartz.

I replaced the original com.apple.Boot.plist with the one mentioned in the post. Now, my card is properly recognized although I did not see any difference in video performance or quality.

The DVD player provided my Apple still will not run. In the interim, I have installed VLC, which ironically does work.

At this point, I am basically where I was in the way of functionality when I was running Leopard using the Kalyway disk - except that using Leppy's instructions was more simple and more legal (I bought the SL media). Thanks!

Mark

For some reason I only see 1 processor. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 1.03 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

For some reason I only see 1 processor. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 1.03 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

That is correct. You have one CPU (processor) with two processing cores.

After you put in the SL DVD, press F10 until Chameleon displays the SL boot DVD, then select that and boot. If your drive isn't reading the SL install DVD, then you will get a panic or it will just hang.

And make sure your CD is made from the D620SLV1.iso and not the Leopard iso.

Those instructions are kind of different than the ones that were provided here:

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

When I had Win7 installed, I was able to get Chameleon to boot up. I swapped the Chameleon CD with the SL DVD, and it showed SL after the display refreshed... But when I went to install, it would KP on me.

Then, I tried to wipe the HDD using Disk Utility on an old Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD I had laying around (that one installs okay, but half of the devices don't work haha). Now whenever Chameleon boots up and I try to swap the CD with the SL DVD, I get a memory allocation error. :)

Those instructions are kind of different than the ones that were provided here:

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

When I had Win7 installed, I was able to get Chameleon to boot up. I swapped the Chameleon CD with the SL DVD, and it showed SL after the display refreshed... But when I went to install, it would KP on me.

Then, I tried to wipe the HDD using Disk Utility on an old Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD I had laying around (that one installs okay, but half of the devices don't work haha). Now whenever Chameleon boots up and I try to swap the CD with the SL DVD, I get a memory allocation error. :D

What SL DVD are you using?

As a last breath, has anyone had any problems with the colors on your computers?

Top bar buttons being purple!?

Dock icons being purpleish?

Its driving me nuts by now, ive used 2 discs to see if something changes and still the same.

Everything is well in the install bit, everything is blue as it should be and the colors are great but when i get into my system its just all around dark blue and purple.

Its drop dead idiotic to the point that i have to do graphic work and my colors are messed up.

Snow is just fantastic and the minor updates are just my piece of candy but in 10.5.6 i didn't have color issues. Everything was like it was supposed to be.

Anyways reverting back for now, i will get to the bottom of this ;)!

Mikk.

There's an issue with the appearance of highlights; I use graphite so it's not an issue for me, but if you go into prefs, you can only get graphite or blue/purple highlight to work. However, on my system, this has no impact on appearance of the rest of the screen/windows. I run a professional screen calibration tool on my LCD and managed to calibrate it correctly. The default appearance was too washed out- the gamma was out a bit, plus some minor colour imbalance. The colour gamut on these Dell screens is not the best, while the 1440 screen is better than the 1280, neither is great; hey, at least it's not glossy... If you don't have access to some hardware, you can do a rough job with prefs-displays-colour-calibrate/expert mode.. Trick is to squint as if you were looking at a magic eye picture and do the colour adjustment then brightness on each panel. It's not quite up to professional standard, but it's better than nothing. I do a fair amount of image editing / pre-press and the screen has been as good as you'd expect - on a two year old laptop. I suspect that our .plist string might need tweaking; I'll see if I can get a new one generated if I get a bit of free time.

P.S. actually scratch that; the purple highlight affects the 950 based HP, I installed on also - so it's not the string. Damn, I know how to fix that...

There's an issue with the appearance of highlights; I use graphite so it's not an issue for me, but if you go into prefs, you can only get graphite or blue/purple highlight to work. However, on my system, this has no impact on appearance of the rest of the screen/windows. I run a professional screen calibration tool on my LCD and managed to calibrate it correctly. The default appearance was too washed out- the gamma was out a bit, plus some minor colour imbalance. The colour gamut on these Dell screens is not the best, while the 1440 screen is better than the 1280, neither is great; hey, at least it's not glossy... If you don't have access to some hardware, you can do a rough job with prefs-displays-colour-calibrate/expert mode.. Trick is to squint as if you were looking at a magic eye picture and do the colour adjustment then brightness on each panel. It's not quite up to professional standard, but it's better than nothing. I do a fair amount of image editing / pre-press and the screen has been as good as you'd expect - on a two year old laptop. I suspect that our .plist string might need tweaking; I'll see if I can get a new one generated if I get a bit of free time.

P.S. actually scratch that; the purple highlight affects the 950 based HP, I installed on also - so it's not the string. Damn, I know how to fix that...

I love you! :censored2:

I was thinking for a second that it really is hardware based faults. I haven't done any graphic work right now on this computer but im running out of options to work on stuff.

But what calbiration tool are you using?

Ill see if i can seek that out and buy it :(.

EDIT: Or is there a way that you could send me the color profile. Since we do have similar computer it should work?

Mikk.