Airport-like app for Ralink 2870

aqua-mac

141 posts in this topic

Hi, i ve read throguh the thread but unfortunately am not as expert at these things as you guys obviously are and am a bit lost. i am using a linksys wusb600n with my leopard install (now snow leopard) and have the ralink utility installed as per instructions in anohter forum and everything works fine. i ofcourse also hate that icon, and that program, as it is constantly giving me the beachball. i am trying to follow the instructions in the very first post, but as i read throguh the thread, there are mentioned new versions being posted, people doing things their own way, making small changes to program or kind of isntallation, etc etc, and at the end of the posts im very very confused. can someone please give a step by step guide with links to the current versions of the various programs (i did not understand if the installed and the manual install pref pane BOTH have to be installed, or if one of them has to be isntalled for example), and exactly waht works and waht doesnt.

i would really appreciate it as i ahte that hideous clunky program.

I am working on this, but in the meantime, download this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/240231007/Ralink_Airport.zip

Place the contained file in your Applications folder and remove the unsightly RT app. Set both the apps in the download folder to open at startup. You can either delete or keep the Ralink app you already have as the one in the folder is the same.

Basically I cleaned up the RT app and set it to run hidden in the background so it cannot be seen. It should work though. Let me know how it goes. If it works for you I will add it to the installer and clean things up.

aqua-mac is this something that you are still working on? if not, would you be able to post your source files for what you have so far? Maybe others can build upon it and continue adding support. I used to use Prasys rt utility for my wusb54g, but now they fell off the face of the planet with support for that and now I use rt2870... i can't get a working link right now, but hopefully it will support my asus usb-n11.

best!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it to work...by doing nothing!!!!

I actually switched out my old AEBS to a new time capsule that has the dual-band access. My hack automatically connects now (to the 2.4 GHz band). It used to be with the old AEBS, I would have to go into the system preferences to manually connect using the airport-like app. Now it connects without me doing a thing.

So, maybe there is nothing wrong with the app, but something dealing with the type of router you are connecting to...

Otter

• 1 month later...

My new Alfa AWUS050NH is equipped with v.2 of the Ralink 2870. The CD only contained drivers for Panther, Tiger and Leo. The Leo driver is not working in Snow Leo. The current driver 2.0.0.0 Ralink offers on their website contains a package for Snow Leo, but that one only appears to be for the 2870 v.1.

Anyway, I just got my Alfa AWUS050NH with the 2870 v.2 working in Snow Leo 10.6.1 by taking the Snow Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from Ralink's installer from their website (2.0.0.0) and adding the info.plist from the Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from the CD for the Alfa AWUS050NH v.2. You can download the modded kext at the bottom of this posting.

Apply the kext with your favorite kext tool (in Snow Leo I use kext helper b7). You don't even necessarily have to restart; usually it is enough to just wait a minute until the kext is loaded and the diode flashes on the adapter. Then go into System Preferences/ Network and confirm the new network interface, then Apply.

I also confirm aqua-mac's Airport-like app for Ralink 2870 working with v.2 once the kext is loaded.

For those who have probs with disconnects: if you are running on WPA-PSK, try to connect via AES instead TKIP, or vice versa. I have made good experiences with flipping the encryption mode.

Please give some feedback if this driver works for your Ralink 2870 v.2 in Snow Leo.

hey aqua-mac thanks for creating the Ralink system pref and making the Ralink AirPort menu icon work with 2870.

Anyhow I am currently using your RalinkAirport.app and rename it to USBWirelessUtility.app in Application Folder, also install your Ralink system pref and use this latest driver from Ralink website: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

Which I just extract and install two file using Pacifist as you can see below:

System\Library\Extensions\RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

System\Library\StartupItems\WiUtilityUSBStartUp

After doing this I notice that I don't have to add RalinkAirport.app to the login items, if you just rename RalinkAirport.app to USBWirelessUtility.app and install the WiUtilityUSBStartUp, it will auto connect to WiFi when you startup your mac or if you remove USB dongle and reinsert or vice-versa.

anyhow i am currently using this file with your RalinkAirPort mod: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2009_03_10.dmg

BTW i haven't figure out what this app (AwakeRalinkUI.app) does but it install in the login items.. anyway I remove this from the login items and application folder... and it stilll work with your RalinkAirPort mod and WiUtilityUSBStartup... but for what ever reason your driver did not work with mine usb wifi dongle so I have to use whatever it was in the RTUSB D2870-1.3.0.0 UI-1.7.1.0_2009_03_10.dmg...

-1<3

Have you managed this nice trick on snowleopard?

I tried many things but can't do without opening either the Ralink-systempref or the ugly Wirelessuti from Ralink.

If so could you write a small howto?

Ed

Well I've sort of got it working, just by changing the loading order.

I made a new StartupItem to load RalinkAirport.app before USBWirelessUtility.app loads. I ensured this by setting its OrderPreference to "Late" while that for USBWirelessUtility.app is "Last".

RalinkAirport.app loads in the menubar, briefly shows [Connecting] then fails and shows [Disconnected]. Just after this, USBWirelessUtility.app loads and makes the connection correctly, so the already running RalinkAirport.app updates its status to reflect this, without the PrefPane having to be run. Now USBWirelessUtility.app can be hidden or quit.

I tried lots of ways to hide USBWirelessUtility.app as its running, including using NSUIElement/LSUIElement and LSBackgroundOnly in its .plist but this only partially worked. In the end I used a modified version of an applescript someone else created to auto-hide USBWirelessUtility.app by selecting its "hide" menuitem. The disadvantage of this is that it requires "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" to be turned on.

I've ended up with something that looks far more mac-like and works well, although behind the scenes it's a bit untidy!

Thanks again aqua-mac.

Now that sounds great! Could you share your startupitem??

Ed

• 1 month later...
Now that sounds great! Could you share your startupitem??

Ed

from what i read you guys are saying that wireless utility is necessary to be run. on my mac it loads at startup but after that i can quit it without any issues. im not sure why?? ofcourse it would be great if it had an airport like utility by default but still atleast its good to get it out of the way by quitting but still maintaining connection. i download the 2.0 version and recently 2.0.1 and i saw that with these latest two versions wireless tuility takes up alot of resources while its running. anybody esle seen that?

Hello -I was wondering if this is related to my Newertech Maxpower Wireless USB 802.11b/g/n adapter - it uses the Ralink RT2870 chipset...

Basically I would like this adapter & the associated software to make a wireless connection to my wireless network when the system boots *without* the need for a user to log in. I need the to remotely control this Mac and I can't have it autologin to any user.

Can someone help? THANKS

computer: Mac min G4, OS 10.5.8

Using NewerTech USB wireless utility software

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, This has been great. Thanks for all the posts, they have helped me get as far as I am now. (2870 all working)

However, has anyone ever tried altering the driver?

I'm hoping to disable legacy support on my chipset so wireless n is the only option.

Long and complicated story but boils down to fact that on a router that can't be tied to only n (I want to use an iphone on it) the ralink 2870 and mac seem to default to wireless g.

Can I turn off this support?

Any ideas how?

Thanks all

• 3 weeks later...
I am working on this, but in the meantime, download this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/240231007/Ralink_Airport.zip

Place the contained file in your Applications folder and remove the unsightly RT app. Set both the apps in the download folder to open at startup. You can either delete or keep the Ralink app you already have as the one in the folder is the same.

Basically I cleaned up the RT app and set it to run hidden in the background so it cannot be seen. It should work though. Let me know how it goes. If it works for you I will add it to the installer and clean things up.

Fantastic no more Ralink utility on startup !

Got this working with Edimax EW-7711UTn

Wireless nLITE Mini-size USB Adapter

which is a tiny USB dongle.

Couldn't fit a Broadcom mini PCIe in an ASUS UL50Ag :( not enough space on the motherboard

Very nice to have the airport icon in the menubar too :)

Haven't a clue what chipset is in the dongle but it works !?! :D

Working here also, with an usb dongle from TrendNet: TEW-644UB

Good work aqua-mac

btw: would u mind recompiling the prefpane for x64, please, please, please

go to the prefpane after having the wifi dongle plugged in, normally u should see Available Wireless Networks there.

If not, push the Start Scan button

sorry for misunderstanding, but this seems to be really impossible as it means hacking an usb device to be recognized as built-in airport device;
this release is far from hacking stuff, it is sorta remake of the wireless-utillity and a prefpane. maybe some dsdt geeks could take a look into this and give us a hand