[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Thanks. I will do this next, then to sleep. I can't get past the setting up of my wireless though. Any thoughts on that?

I was using ethernet but it says I can't do that without anything plugged into ethernet. My WiFi radio plugs into USB. The boot 132 did install the realtek100 so it should go when I can't get it past not seeing any ethernet.

Thanks

dont worry about the wireless just use wired, i am not sure if anyone with this mobo is wireless, ofcourse no one answers anyway. i used every recommended pci card for 10.5.6 and i got nothing i was back and forth to micro center 8 times just for the wireless card

Boot off your Kaly drive. Go into the wolfienuke folder and right next to the install.sh is a boot.plist. Also right next to it is the program for generating the hex for your graphics card, run it, grab the hex, and edit it into the plist in the wolfienuke folder. Then run wolfienuke script, point it at your hard disk with the retail install, and it will jam in the boot.plist you just edited somehow. IIRC you can say NO when wolfienuke asks if you want to modify the boot.plist, assuming you already whacked your boot.plist beforehand using the editor. Maybe also you can say YES and stuff in the hex on the fly?

ok, when you say "wolfienuke folder" are you speaking literally, because I have no folders by that name.

Sorry it's a little long, but here is what I have:

Kalyway Drive
- Library
- - Preferences
com.apple.alf.plist
com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist
com.apple.BezelServices.plist
com.apple.ByteRangeLocking.plist
com.apple.Catapult.plist
com.apple.CoreRAIDServer.cfdb
com.apple.dockfixup.plist
com.apple.headerdoc.exampletocteplate.html
com.apple.HIToolbox.plist
com.apple.keyboardtype.plist
com.apple.loginwindow.plist
com.apple.pcast_integration.plist
com.apple.security.systemidentities.plist
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
com.apple.windowserver.plist
com.apple.xgrid.agent.plist
com.apple.xgrid.controller.plist
DirectoryService
SystemConfiguration
- com.apple.Boot.plist
- com.apple.network.identification.plist
- com.apple.smb.server.plist
- NetworkInterfaces.plist
- preferences.plist

This also has a System folder at the same level as the above Library folder. THe next level in the System folder has a Library folder also. But where this has a Preference paynes folder, as does the above Library folder, it has no preferences folder.

Going over to USERS/MYSELF/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES: we have the following files:

AddressBookMe.plist
ByHost
Captain FTP AddressBook.plist
com.adobe.Lightroom.plist
com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist
com.apple.AddressBook.plist
com.apple.Console.plist
com.apple.CrashReporter.plist
com.apple.desktop.plist
com.apple.DiskUtility.plist
com.apple.dock.db
com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.help.plist
com.apple.iApps.plist
com.apple.iCal.plist
com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
com.apple.iPhoto.plist
com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
com.apple.iTunes.plist
com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
com.apple.LaunchServices.plist
com.apple.loginitems.plist
com.apple.mail.plist
com.apple.MenuBarClock.plist
com.apple.PreferenceSync.plist
com.apple.Preview.plist
com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist
com.apple.PubSubAgent.plist
com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist
com.apple.recentitems.plist
com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist
com.apple.scheduler.plist
com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
com.apple.spotlight.plist
com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
com.apple.systempreferences.plist
com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist
com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
com.apple.Terminal.plist
com.apple.TextEdit.plist
com.apple.universalaccess.plist
com.bombich.ccc.plist
com.bresink.system.tempmonitor.plist
com.c-command.SpamSieve.plist
com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist
com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
com.inside.EFIStudio.plist
com.intuit.QuickBooks.plist
com.kiwifruitware.Burn.plist
com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist
com.NoThirst.MoneyWell.plist
com.pcwiz.OSX86Tools.plist
com.plasq.ComicLife.plist
com.stone.Create.plist
com.xnet.CaptainFTP.plist
iCalExternalSync.plist
loginwindow.plist
Mailsmith Preferences
NeoOffice-1.x
QuickBooks
QuickTime Preferences
Tex-Edit Plus Preferences

In the Vanilla install, the differences are that;

1) In the root Library directory there are no boot lists at all. There is justt this list;

com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd
com.apple.alf.plist
com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist
com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist
com.apple.ByteRangeLocking.plist
com.apple.Catapult.plist
com.apple.CoreRAIDServer.cfdb
com.apple.dockfixup.plist
com.apple.headerdoc.exampletocteplate.html
com.apple.keyboardtype.plist
com.apple.loginwindow.plist
com.apple.pcast_integration.plist
com.apple.security.systemidentities.plist
com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
com.apple.xgrid.agent.plist
com.apple.xgrid.controller.plist
DirectoryService
SystemConfiguration

And in the USER/Library/Preferences: There are no “boot” files.

Hi DD...

I just want to report you after trying the most up-o-date guide.

My mobo, EVGA X58 SLI, is not GA EX58-UD5.

However, your guide has been a great installation with EVGA, too.

Only exception was the Sound, but I'm using USB sound which is not a problem.

This is just a report:

After installing your latest update, just hitting "(5) post-patch," the system with HD3870 shows graphic panic.

Booting went smooth, but at the final stage, the screen shows blue/black cracked image when graphic driver was not installed correctly.

So, I replaced VGA card with my ATI 4850. Yes, I was able to boot.

But no dual monitor, no QE/CI, with only basic resolution.

Then, I went back to your previous install folder, run " RUN-POST-PATCH," my system came back perfect with HD 3870.

Ok, that's about it. the problem maybe was caused by EVGA board.

But I just wanted let you know.

I guess I have to wait a little bit to use 4850. Maybe until 10.5.7 comes out.

Thanks DD as always.

ok, when you say "wolfienuke folder" are you speaking literally, because I have no folders by that name.

You are going to run wolf's EFI installer again. First add the hex string into the boot.plist that is in wolf's EFI Boot Installer v3 folder. Then run the script and make sure you click UPDATE rather than install. It will update the .plist with the one you just modified. If your hex is correct, everything should work just fine.

You are going to run wolf's EFI installer again. First add the hex string into the boot.plist that is in wolf's EFI Boot Installer v3 folder. Then run the script and make sure you click UPDATE rather than install. It will update the .plist with the one you just modified. If your hex is correct, everything should work just fine.
OK, I still have no ethernet and therefore no online capability. I have to switch monitor connections and work on one system or the other. So my times may get lagged a bit. Here is what I have been up too since my last post:

I erased and reinstalled Kalyway at least three (four) times now. The next thing that I do is I run:

File: "X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer"

Click on "RUN-PATCHER"

Point it to the disk that I want Leopard retail installed on.

Install Retail Leo and continue post patch with automated script.

I believe I have run the efi installer before, and I will again as you suggest it.

My very bad screen trails on dragging any window video problems persist, and Kalyway now has the white menus.

Hi DD...

I just want to report you after trying the most up-o-date guide.

My mobo, EVGA X58 SLI, is not GA EX58-UD5.

However, your guide has been a great installation with EVGA, too.

Only exception was the Sound, but I'm using USB sound which is not a problem.

This is just a report:

After installing your latest update, just hitting "(5) post-patch," the system with HD3870 shows graphic panic.

Booting went smooth, but at the final stage, the screen shows blue/black cracked image when graphic driver was not installed correctly.

So, I replaced VGA card with my ATI 4850. Yes, I was able to boot.

But no dual monitor, no QE/CI, with only basic resolution.

Then, I went back to your previous install folder, run " RUN-POST-PATCH," my system came back perfect with HD 3870.

Ok, that's about it. the problem maybe was caused by EVGA board.

But I just wanted let you know.

I guess I have to wait a little bit to use 4850. Maybe until 10.5.7 comes out.

Thanks DD as always.

jplee4907,

My patcher doesn't come with any drivers for video cards, just the injectors like natit.kext. All those injectors do is pull the hardware information off of the video card to provide the OS. Typically, it's the EFI ROM on the graphics card that contains that info, but that isn't present on the PC graphics card. So, you still have to install the latest drivers here to get that card going. You have probably already seen the 4850/4870 guide. Once 10.5.7 is officially released, everyone will already have those drivers installed and all they will need is the latest natit.kext that I have in the package.

As for why there was a problem with the 3870 card and the new natit, I don't know. I'll need to compare the two. They should have the same info for the 38XX series cards. I'll have a look and find out.

OK, I still have no ethernet and therefore no online capability. I have to switch monitor connections and work on one system or the other. So my times may get lagged a bit. Here is what I have been up too since my last post:

I erased and reinstalled Kalyway at least three (four) times now. The next thing that I do is I run:

File: "X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer"

Click on "RUN-PATCHER"

Point it to the disk that I want Leopard retail installed on.

Install Retail Leo and continue post patch with automated script.

I believe I have run the efi installer before, and I will again as you suggest it.

My very bad screen trails on dragging any window video problems persist, and Kalyway now has the white menus.

The Kalyway has a "white menu fix" option to select.

If you are using my Patcher, make sure you get the latest version, as it offers some refinements.

regards,

MAJ

If you are using my Patcher, make sure you get the latest version, as it offers some refinements.

The hardest part of all this great information is keeping it straight what part is the freshest and what parts are needed before installing what other parts.

I just ran that EFI install script. The Pre-patch said invalid command. The post patch repaired my permissions.

I just put that paragraph of hex code onto the boot file as you suggested. It did not help after reboot.

I hope I followed the instructions correctly, the boot file only had one paragraph string of hex code. I simply replaced that with my driver hex code. Or should I have added below it? I am sorry but I could not tell from the instructions.

I don't mind starting again from scratch if that is what it takes. But I seem to be stumbling a bit. Should it be that the EFI should be done BEFORE - the X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer is run? I really can't tell the order.

Which or where is the latest version of your script? And where is the white menu fix you mentioned? As it is in Kalyway it is annoying but I assume temporary.

jplee4907,

My patcher doesn't come with any drivers for video cards, just the injectors like natit.kext. All those injectors do is pull the hardware information off of the video card to provide the OS. Typically, it's the EFI ROM on the graphics card that contains that info, but that isn't present on the PC graphics card. So, you still have to install the latest drivers here to get that card going. You have probably already seen the 4850/4870 guide. Once 10.5.7 is officially released, everyone will already have those drivers installed and all they will need is the latest natit.kext that I have in the package.

As for why there was a problem with the 3870 card and the new natit, I don't know. I'll need to compare the two. They should have the same info for the 38XX series cards. I'll have a look and find out.

regards,

MAJ

Hi

Thanks for your kind information!

As a noobo, I didn't realize the graphic card driver and a patcher...

But I learned one more thing! Thanks again.

JP

The hardest part of all this great information is keeping it straight what part is the freshest and what parts are needed before installing what other parts.

Which or where is the latest version of your script? And where is the white menu fix you mentioned? As it is in Kalyway it is annoying but I assume temporary.

Follow post #1 only, or post #2 (expanded in post #301) only. Don't mix and match.

It sounds like step 8 in post #301 in this thread is where you are stuck?

The wolifienuke folder is the folder you get when you expand the zip file you downloaded from wolfienuke.

This folder has install.sh, the plist, and GFXutil all there in one convenient place.

Run GFXutil, select your graphics card, then generate the hex and copy it.

Then edit the plist file and stick it into the middle.

Then run install.sh.

Post your plist file for us.

Follow post #1 only, or post #2 (expanded in post #301) only. Don't mix and match.

The wolifienuke folder is the folder you get when you expand the zip file you downloaded from wolfienuke.

This folder has install.sh, the plist, and GFXutil all there in one convenient place.

Then run install.sh.

I grabbed wolfienuke EFI Installer 3.1, dated 1/5/2009, but it doesn't seem to have this GFXutil tool. Am I downloading an older version of wolfienuke's script?

Just a word about ATI HD4870 for those who havent seen that, i am using the same card as another member of the board and we're reporting no bug/need of dvi/vga adaptor/need 3/5 reboots to make it active/black screens, except when the computer go in sleep mode so its a good buying option.

FYI the card is :

Sapphire RADEON HD4870 512MB GDDR5

PN : 288-10E85-030SA

SKU : 11133-03-20R

Everthing works out fine, I did my research and found this thread. Hackintosh was never so easy ;-)

But now the next step. I would like to make my machine dualboot. And I don't know which type of dualboot I should use. I have a empty harddisk to install windows (xp/vista) on. But what method should I use for a dualboot?

Hey guys,

I tried to read the whole thing over here and I'm planning on getting a i7 setup, too.

But I was wondering, why all the hassle with the Kalyway disk is needed?

The awesome people, who created an all-in-one app for installing OS X on the Dell Mini 9, only use one USB stick

where they put a bootloader and a dmg of the retail disk on it, works like a charm.

http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-install...thod-t3925.html

Look for part B!

Maybe this can be used here, too, so that the Kalyway (or other distro) disk isn't needed anymore?!

Cheers,

hanzoh

Would you elaborate on this error? Does it always come up?

I need to know the full text surrounding it, like what command or line number, etc.

Thanks!

kind regards,

MAJ

I doubt it was the script but rather my own mis-steps that caused this. I had a disk running (as target, not trying to fix the disk I booted from). I already ran the "X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer" and possably the EFI script already. Do I need to run them both or would following the EFI script be enough?

I suspect it was not recognizing me as in user"fill_in_the_user_name" or some such derivative error was pretty clear to see. I am sorry I did not write down the details. I simply coup not get the first part of that script to work at a point. Again I suspect because I had already run it but forgot when, many reboots ago.

Then run install.sh.

I can do this again. I suspect that what I need to do is to remove a few drivers (KEXTs) that are the second part of changing the binary to the graphics card. I believe I Have already done all of this (my plist is posted earlier in this thread as well albeit before another couple of reinstalls).

Today (Sunday) I am hitting the slopes for some Ski time. Later this afternoon I will get deeper into it again. Once this gets all straightened out, I still have to get her back online. Some of my software titles these days want me to phone home to reinstall and I cant yet.

My friend who has been following this from my voice has also downloaded a different Kalyway and IPC and another one. IT appears that not all Kalyways are created equal nor are all distros the same. His board was a little different than mine but as he has tried the different installs he said that with some he had network access immediately but no sound. I Have sound but no network access, etc.

It seems I need to see just what would work with this MOBO and graphics card and go from there. In the mean time, when I return I will first try using the EFI script ONLY. If someone can verify this is all I would need I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Everthing works out fine, I did my research and found this thread. Hackintosh was never so easy ;-)

But now the next step. I would like to make my machine dualboot. And I don't know which type of dualboot I should use. I have a empty harddisk to install windows (xp/vista) on. But what method should I use for a dualboot?

Congratulations!

Likely you have the needed bootloader installed and working. So, all you need to do is hit ESC (twice if you have a Timeout) at the Darwin prompt and enter the hex number of the next hard drive, usually "81", and it'll list the contents of the other drive "Foreign OS installed" or such. Nothing else needed.

This is just one way to dual boot; there are other ways, but this one is included in your setup.

I doubt it was the script but rather my own mis-steps that caused this. I had a disk running (as target, not trying to fix the disk I booted from). I already ran the "X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer" and possably the EFI script already. Do I need to run them both or would following the EFI script be enough?

I suspect it was not recognizing me as in user"fill_in_the_user_name" or some such derivative error was pretty clear to see. I am sorry I did not write down the details. I simply coup not get the first part of that script to work at a point. Again I suspect because I had already run it but forgot when, many reboots ago.

I can do this again. I suspect that what I need to do is to remove a few drivers (KEXTs) that are the second part of changing the binary to the graphics card. I believe I Have already done all of this (my plist is posted earlier in this thread as well albeit before another couple of reinstalls).

Today (Sunday) I am hitting the slopes for some Ski time. Later this afternoon I will get deeper into it again. Once this gets all straightened out, I still have to get her back online. Some of my software titles these days want me to phone home to reinstall and I cant yet.

My friend who has been following this from my voice has also downloaded a different Kalyway and IPC and another one. IT appears that not all Kalyways are created equal nor are all distros the same. His board was a little different than mine but as he has tried the different installs he said that with some he had network access immediately but no sound. I Have sound but no network access, etc.

It seems I need to see just what would work with this MOBO and graphics card and go from there. In the mean time, when I return I will first try using the EFI script ONLY. If someone can verify this is all I would need I would appreciate it.

Thanks

You should only use ONE of the scripts, DD's standard (boot-132) retail install or wolf's EFI boot install, not both. They aren't designed to work together; two different methods.

My new script doesn't require any script editing by the user. All that's needed is that you type in your drive name and select from the available options. So, there shouldn't be any "fill in your user name" stuff anymore.

Decide on which method or script you want to use (i.e. wolf's boot from EFI script as you have mentioned) after installing OS X and you'll be ready to go.

regards,

MAJ

NVIDIA 9800 with CI/QE!! Way to go!

Put you specs in your signature, so we'll all know what you have.

regards,

MAJ

Hello everyone,

I currently have a working 10.5.6 retail install based on digital_dreamer's script method on a EX58-UD3R (not the UD5) motherboard, with a 9800GT 1024mb (using an EFI string generated from OSX86Tools, CI/QE working), and audio working using the alternate ALC888 drivers from the repository. I'm using a MBP to do my installing/patching with the desktop drive hooked up via a USB enclosure.

My first attempt to do a clean install based on wolfienuke's script failed, but it might have been due to the kexts I was using (see below).

First, I would like to switch to wolfienuke's method, mostly because this system will be used by other people and I want to minimize the chance of some updates breaking it. Do I need to do a clean reinstall of OSX and then use his method, or can I run his script on a partition that is already successfully running with digital_dreamer's?

Second, do I have to keep the kexts provided by wolfienuke's script, or can I use the kext set that is working with my current install? I ask this because the kexts included with d_d's download seem to be newer and more comprehensive (also known to work on my board which needs a different audio driver than the UD5). But I am worried that there might be something special about wolfienuke's kexts that is required for the EFI method to work.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I currently have a working 10.5.6 retail install based on digital_dreamer's script method on a EX58-UD3R (not the UD5) motherboard, with a 9800GT 1024mb (using an EFI string generated from OSX86Tools, CI/QE working), and audio working using the alternate ALC888 drivers from the repository. I'm using a MBP to do my installing/patching with the desktop drive hooked up via a USB enclosure.

My first attempt to do a clean install based on wolfienuke's script failed, but it might have been due to the kexts I was using (see below).

First, I would like to switch to wolfienuke's method, mostly because this system will be used by other people and I want to minimize the chance of some updates breaking it. Do I need to do a clean reinstall of OSX and then use his method, or can I run his script on a partition that is already successfully running with digital_dreamer's?

Second, do I have to keep the kexts provided by wolfienuke's script, or can I use the kext set that is working with my current install? I ask this because the kexts included with d_d's download seem to be newer and more comprehensive (also known to work on my board which needs a different audio driver than the UD5). But I am worried that there might be something special about wolfienuke's kexts that is required for the EFI method to work.

Thanks!

You will have to do a clean install. No running wolf's script over digital_dreamer's. You may pull the kexts from digital_dreamer's install folder and replace the ones in wolf's. Also add your correct audio kext in the correct folder and it should work just fine. I used digital_dreamer's method also because I had more success with it than wolf's. I have taken a few updates and it is running perfectly fine. If something does happen after an update, running the script again should clear it all up.

For those that have a working install and now want to overclock and for those that are having trouble overclocking after updating your bios, I may have a solution. I have a stable overclock at 3.67ghz on f5. That was my target clock rate; I did not want anything higher. I ran prime95 for one hour. I don't think that I will ever put my computer to more extensive stresses, so I stopped at one hour. The temp was an average of 90 degrees Celsius and never went over 92 degrees Celsius. My system does not have the most cooling capabilities so I think that those temps are not bad for my mediocre set-up. A better cooler would make a difference. Here is the bios setup:

CPU Clock Ratio: 19x

Turbo Boost: Disabled

QPI Link Speed: x36

Uncore Frequency: x16

BCLK Frequency: 193

Performance Enhance: Standard

System Memory Multiplier: 8.0

CPU Vcore: 1.38750v

QPI/VTT voltage: 1.255v

IOH core: 1.240v

Dram voltage: 1.640V

HacPro_3.67.jpg

Prime95 testing on Windows Vista

Above picture snapped at exactly 1hr. of testing.

You will have to do a clean install. No running wolf's script over digital_dreamer's. You may pull the kexts from digital_dreamer's install folder and replace the ones in wolf's. Also add your correct audio kext in the correct folder and it should work just fine. I used digital_dreamer's method also because I had more success with it than wolf's. I have taken a few updates and it is running perfectly fine. If something does happen after an update, running the script again should clear it all up.

For those that have a working install and now want to overclock and for those that are having trouble overclocking after updating your bios, I may have a solution. I have a stable overclock at 3.67ghz on f5. That was my target clock rate; I did not want anything higher. I ran prime95 for one hour. I don't think that I will ever put my computer to more extensive stresses, so I stopped at one hour. The temp was an average of 90 degrees Celsius and never went over 92 degrees Celsius. My system does not have the most cooling capabilities so I think that those temps are not bad for my mediocre set-up. A better cooler would make a difference. Here is the bios setup:

CPU Clock Ratio: 19x

Turbo Boost: Disabled

QPI Link Speed: x36

Uncore Frequency: x16

BCLK Frequency: 193

Performance Enhance: Standard

System Memory Multiplier: 8.0

CPU Vcore: 1.38750v

QPI/VTT voltage: 1.255v

IOH core: 1.240v

Dram voltage: 1.640V

HacPro_3.67.jpg

Prime95 testing on Windows Vista

Above picture snapped at exactly 1hr. of testing.

L3B3R,

I have almost the same setup except I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. I need some help getting mine started since I am totally new at this.

I have the iAtkos 5i disk ready to go, but am debating because I also have the boot 132 and the leopard retail 10.5.6. I just need to know what is the best to go? I don't know what kext is? So if someone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

L3B3R,

I have almost the same setup except I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. I need some help getting mine started since I am totally new at this.

I have the iAtkos 5i disk ready to go, but am debating because I also have the boot 132 and the leopard retail 10.5.6. I just need to know what is the best to go? I don't know what kext is? So if someone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I honestly don't know the difference between the the UD5 and the UD3R besides the audio. Is there not a UD3R thread? Otherwise, read through this thread and you will most likely get all the info you need. I read it all and it made more sense when I sat down to install. Read first, then ask the questions because otherwise this thread will be too redundant.

NVIDIA 9800 with CI/QE!! Way to go!

Put you specs in your signature, so we'll all know what you have.

Done!

Next step, change SATA RAID/AHCI MODE: RAID in BIOS, migration MacOSX from eSATA -> Raid0@motherboard controller... possible? Currently system hangs(MacOS) when change AHCI/RAID in BIOS.

Apple Final Cut Studio 5.1 working, Adobe CS4 soon testing, network with DHCP ok, sound - testing.

All of which merit your kext and advice on forum!

Done!

Next step, change SATA RAID/AHCI MODE: RAID in BIOS, migration MacOSX from eSATA -> Raid0@motherboard controller... possible? Currently system hangs(MacOS) when change AHCI/RAID in BIOS.

Apple Final Cut Studio 5.1 working, Adobe CS4 soon testing, network with DHCP ok, sound - testing.

All of which merit your kext and advice on forum!

CS4 works great! The only issue I have had is that when I am using Photoshop and I scale the window manually, sometimes I get weird artifacts. It has to do with the graphics card. This does not hinder the use though.

OK, thanks for all the help. It wasn't clear to me that I had to use one system of the other, sorry. As it stands now, I am running. But a glitch or two remain. The WIFI problem has been temporarily solved. My Realtek high power 802.11g usb unit has no driver for Leopard. Durn! They dropped support of my unit after Tiger. So now I Have to shop for a new WIFI solution. At least that means this may be almost done.

I also show only 4 gigs ram in the system profiler and there are 6. it shows two sticks in two slots of 2 gigs each and that is correct. But a third slot shows empty and not with a 2 gig stick in it, this is incorrect.

One more odd thing is that I cannot get my system to boot from my SATA (external)/internal 1 TB drive. This is my 1 TB external drive which is hooked directly to the MOBO so it is internal. I have completely erased it and made sure it is GUID and HFS+. I used CCC to put the working main vanilla drive on that drive. But I can't get it to boot. It just goes into pooling DMI data ... and stays there.

I am assuming that I am missing one or more Kexts yet. The following is a list of all the Kexts that I now have. I pulled these off the OSX58 Kexts folder, from the EFI install script and from digital dreamers script. Can someone please say which if any of these Kexts must be put in? Better yet, is there a link anywhere that gives as complete a rundown as possible as to what each one actually does?

The other question is, what if some are already installed, will reinstalling replace them, or leave duplicates and thereby mess everything up? What is the best way to see a folder where they reside and check this myself? Pacifist? Something else?

AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
AppleHDA.kext
AppleSMBIOS.kext
AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext
Disabler.kext
dsmos.kext
HDAEnabler.kext
IOAHCIFamily.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext
LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
LegacyAppleYukon2.kext
LegacyHDAController.kext
LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext
LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
LegacyJMicronATA.kext
Natit.kext
NVinject.kext
NVkush.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext
RealtekR1000.kext
SMBIOSEnabler.kext
System.kext
seatbelt.kext

Got a few Quick questions to anyone that has any idea what is going to happen when 10.5.7 is released. I haven't been on here in a while since my i7 is almost perfect, but now with the 10.5.7 I am peeking around again.

The questions are what exactly are we going to do when it comes out? There won't be a need for the voodoo kernel right? If this is true will there have to be a new script by wolfie or can we just manually remove the kernel so that it isn't part of the EFI?

thanks again guys, hopefully this will help others that have the same questions as me too.