[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

If using the EFI partition for the bootloader is no longer the preferred method, can I achieve a similar degree of separation between the hacks and the retail by creating 2 partitions on my drive (the first one being a small boot partition and the other being the partition for my retail Mac OS X)?

A little update on my situation... I tried setting up my EFI partition using the script described here and it worked. I copied the kext, com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist from DD's script into the appropriate folders on this script and everything seems OK. I was able to mount the EFI partition and verify that everything was in its place (my EFI partition now does have the /Extra folder).

After running this, I was wondering if DD's script would recognize the /Extra folder on the EFI partition. I tried running step 5 again and I got the exact same result (i.e. Chameleon not installed - no /Extra folder on osX86).

So what is the full story on the /Extra folder? Should it be on the EFI partition or should it be on the main system partition?

It will be interesting to see if I will be able to boot after having installed the bootloader this way. I should get my case tomorrow (crossing fingers) I guess I will know soon enough...

Colddiver

I have a same GPU (GeForce 9600 GSO 392mb)

Please help me to install or sendme a files.

tanks

Edson-Brasil

No it doesn't matter as long as you follow the pattern of tags. I've attached my boot.plist for reference but don't use it because I have a different video card than you.

A little update on my situation... I tried setting up my EFI partition using the script described here and it worked. I copied the kext, com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist from DD's script into the appropriate folders on this script and everything seems OK. I was able to mount the EFI partition and verify that everything was in its place (my EFI partition now does have the /Extra folder).

After running this, I was wondering if DD's script would recognize the /Extra folder on the EFI partition. I tried running step 5 again and I got the exact same result (i.e. Chameleon not installed - no /Extra folder on osX86).

So what is the full story on the /Extra folder? Should it be on the EFI partition or should it be on the main system partition?

It will be interesting to see if I will be able to boot after having installed the bootloader this way. I should get my case tomorrow (crossing fingers) I guess I will know soon enough...

Colddiver

I accepted the script defaults for the install. Does that mean that it did not install a EFI partition? I do have a /Extra folder in my install.

I accepted the script defaults for the install. Does that mean that it did not install a EFI partition? I do have a /Extra folder in my install.

If there's a /Extra folder on your install then it will show up as a folder at root level. Just double click your HD and look for the folder.

Sorry I don't think I can help you colddiver. I just did an install /Extra onto my main install.

I think your issue is certainly with trying to do an EFI install rather than installing from your G5.

Yeah, that's right. "About This Mac" miscalculates the speed. The issue is purely cosmetic, and has no bearing on the actual speed. If you're the OCD type, there's an option in DD's script for pasting the correct information directly into loginwindow.app. It doesn't really solve the problem, as it's just reporting what you tell it to, but whatever.

Sounds about right. I think I had about 12-something, but that was with a hefty overclock.

Alright, I still have a feeling it is running at 3.2 instead of 2.67 because when it puts me on the chart of similar builds... it shows me as 3.2ghz on the processor scale... unless geekbench is misreading as well.

I probably will end up overclocking as soon as i buy an aftermarket processor heatsink.

thanks.

If there's a /Extra folder on your install then it will show up as a folder at root level. Just double click your HD and look for the folder.

Sorry I don't think I can help you colddiver. I just did an install /Extra onto my main install.

I think your issue is certainly with trying to do an EFI install rather than installing from your G5.

Ok. So I guess the success stories that we keep reading in this thread were all for non-EFI boot setup. Did you guys run into any disadvantages of having the /Extra folder on your main partition? I guess I will try that next. I just thought I was supposed to pick the EFI option...

Colddiver

Ok. So I guess the success stories that we keep reading in this thread were all for non-EFI boot setup. Did you guys run into any disadvantages of having the /Extra folder on your main partition? I guess I will try that next. I just thought I was supposed to pick the EFI option...

Colddiver

Sorry, colddiver, I see why you are having issues - I don't have the EFI partition install completed. I had thought I commented that section out, so that users wouldn't see it. But, it appears to have slipped through. The default selection (Extra) is the only portion that works.

I'll upload a minor update to remove that portion.

The boot from EFI partition setup is a big project and requires a rewrite on just about every routine. Additionally, it's going to require thorough bug testing. So, expect it to be a while before I get version 4.0 out the door.

Version 4.0 will include:

• EFI boot setup (lots of work yet to do)
  • Creation of pre-boot CD/ISO to boot OS X Installer DVD (basically done)
  • EFI strings support for 135+ graphics cards
  • Snow Leopard support

best regards,

MAJ

The boot from EFI partition setup is a big project and requires a rewrite on just about every routine. Additionally, it's going to require thorough bug testing. So, expect it to be a while before I get version 4.0 out the door.

• Snow Leopard support

best regards,

MAJ

MAJ,

Where do we send the donation? Seriously.

• Snow Leopard support

MAJ, count me in for beta testing. I have a super cool SSD with Snow Leopard.

and I shall praise:) 

picture1vth.th.png

The only problem that occurred during the installation of the KP (headphones connected to the panel during the installation of the casing). When I disconnected the handset installation went smoothly. 

:thumbsup_anim: Digital_dreamer thanks to you! :)

picture1vth.th.png

The only problem that occurred during the installation of the KP (headphones connected to the panel during the installation of the casing). When I disconnected the handset installation went smoothly. 

:mellow: Digital_dreamer thanks to you! :(

Did you overclock your i7 on purpose? and buy 1600 ram or did it do it automatically?

Colddiver

The second post in this thread (Wolfienuke on page 1) has a script for EFI partition boot. That script installs Darwin bootloader, not Chameleon2. Zhell created a script that installs Chameleon2 on top of Munkey's EFI partition proceedure (Wolfie's script automates Munkey's proceedure). I used the combination of Wolfie's and Zhell's script to create an EFI partition boot with Chameleon2 on my X58-UD3R board. It worked as advertized but I do not like some of the 'features' of Chameleon2 when two bootable Mac OSes are present so I reverted to EFI partition using Darwin and the 9.6 Voodoo kernel. I used the kexts from DDs script with Wolfie's script as well as using different kernels. You can also add a boot.plist file for boot flags and a video EFI string to Wolfies install folder - it is quite flexible.

I would much prefer the Darwin bootloader with the vanilla 10.5.7 kernel but that combination results in a 33% faster system clock. It's very disconcerting to see the clock gain 20 minutes every hour! Chameleon2 with the 10.5.7 kernel works properly, so does Darwin with the Voodoo kernel, Alas, what to do?

To answer an earlier question you posed: Yes, there is a script to use a small partition (instead of the EFI partition) to hold the bootloader and modified kexts. I used that method on another board and it worked OK, but I like EFI partition better.

MAJ,

Where do we send the donation? Seriously.

Thanks for your comments. I love doing this stuff. Being "old" and single helps, too. :P

MAJ, count me in for beta testing. I have a super cool SSD with Snow Leopard.

Sure thing.

picture1vth.th.png

:wacko: Digital_dreamer thanks to you! :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats.

Server version! Nice machine.

---------------------

RE: Some thoughts on SL, so far:

Pretty buggy. If you run into mdworker KPs, just turn off Spotlight - drag all drives to the exclude or Privacy window. Unfortunately, this turns off Spotlight for your other OS installs, too. Still get occasional KPs from windowserver and other processes.

ATI 2600 XT Graphics:

I've never been able to make a EFI string that works for my 2600 XT, so rely on the ATY_Init.kext. I found that this injector will ONLY work when installed into S/L/E and booted in 32-bit mode (-x32 at prompt). Additionally, I would get the graphics corruption, so that requires deleting the ATIRadeonX2000.kext. I don't get QE or CI, but, at least, it boots.

The graphics card issue was the biggest hurdle for me on SL. I would always boot to the same area in the log, but would find that I had keyboard activity: caps lock light worked, plus DVD eject from the key worked. So, I knew video was the culprit.

I can't take screen grabs, whether from keyboard shortcut, Preview, or Grab. They are just blank files. Likely related to no QE or CI.

Networking:

Installing the RealtekR1000.kext into S/L/E appears to work fine. Like the ATY_Init.kext graphics injector, it won't work in /Extra, even when you have the boot cache built properly in SL. Also, this is another kext that requires 32-bit support during boot, requiring the "-x32" flag. (NOTE: The "-x32" flag is a bootloader flag, not a kernel flag, so don't insert this into your boot.plist, expecting it to work. It needs to be typed at the boot prompt.)

I was afraid TM wouldn't work, since I wasn't using the IONetworkingFamily.kext w/TM fix that encloses the RealtekR1000.kext. But, surprise, works great. Funny, the log still complains about not being able to find "en0" during the whole TM backup. Haven't tested much further than that, though.

TM is fast, now. Backed up the whole 6.5GB boot drive in less than 10 minutes. Much, much better than before.

MAJ

I'll upload a minor update to remove that portion.

• Snow Leopard support

best regards,

MAJ

I am in the process of building this machine...I just have a few quick questions.

1. What is "better", the /extras folder, or waiting until 4.0 where EFI partition is supported?

-I think I am just confused on the difference between the two and need some guidance.

2. Is there a way to update scripts when DD posts new ones? Or should we not update?

Anyways, thanks DD so much for this guide, saved me a ton of money!! Thanks all!

Did you overclock your i7 on purpose? and buy 1600 ram or did it do it automatically?

This is a standard installation via script, only what I change and modify: the Efi string added to the full service graphics card (in com.apple.boot.plist) and change processor name via script.

1600Mhz ram do it automatically, the hardware is on standard settings in the BIOS, not overclocked. (processor speed is wrong, correctly is 2,66Mhz)

When j install via script only needs to call osinstall.mpgk from second window terminal for server version leopard (little another path: open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Server Install Disc/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg") and unplug headphones.... :pirate2:

Sorry for my broken english!

I would be interested in beta testing.

My system is,

EX58-UD5

i7-920, Stock Cooler

3x2 1600 DDR3 OCZ

Diamond HD 4890 XOC, 1Gig, 2 Dual Link-DVI, S-Video

1 Seagate 1.5Tb, Windows 7

1 Seagate 1.5Tb, SL 10A380 installed, fades from gray to black KP

38Gig USB 10.5.8, Upgrade from 10.5.7 went smooth, time is still to fast

2 SamSung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233F DVD Burners

Antec TruePower Trio 650W Power Supply

4U Rack Mount Server Case

I beta test for,

Apple, Server & Client, SL Server & Client, ARD

Intuit

This is a standard installation via script, only what I change and modify: the Efi string added to the full service graphics card (in com.apple.boot.plist) and change processor name via script.

1600Mhz ram do it automatically, the hardware is on standard settings in the BIOS, not overclocked. (processor speed is wrong, correctly is 2,66Mhz)

When j install via script only needs to call osinstall.mpgk from second window terminal for server version leopard (little another path: open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Server Install Disc/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg") and unplug headphones.... :)

Sorry for my broken english!

I ask because my RAM did not read correctly, it's 1333 ddr3 and only read as 1066 in bios, I had to manually go into bios and up the frequency, voltage, and timing to fit 1333.... Yet in osx it reads as 1600. I'd assume a miscalculation on osx's part... Thanks morganpl

I ask because my RAM did not read correctly, it's 1333 ddr3 and only read as 1066 in bios, I had to manually go into bios and up the frequency, voltage, and timing to fit 1333.... Yet in osx it reads as 1600. I'd assume a miscalculation on osx's part... Thanks morganpl

Edit the "SMmemspeed" key in the smbios.plist to display the correct RAM speed.

MAJ

Success!!!

I received my case today and I installed everything successfully (will have to finish the job - the computer is not closed and I still have quite a few wires to connect). My OS X boot, GTX285 is recognized (EFI string), I'm scoring about 9400 on Geekbench (64-bit) and I am definitely happy.

Many thanks to everybody and especially to Digital Dreamer... This is really cool!

Colddiver

Try the kext in the file i uploaded they work for me on EVGA x58

drop them in /extras/extensions and update book cache

Hmmm... I tried using your kexts and now my system doesn't detect audio ports on my UD5. Did anyone else get 5.1 audio using non-optical. I would even settle for 2.1 audio, but there is a constant humming in my speakers while the speakers are on and connected to my computer only in OSX and not Windows 7.

Sorry guys for this off-topic question, but I've seen lots of configs with this board now.

When I want to overclock the i7-920 to 3.6GHz and install a 4870, what kind of PSU do I need, is 425W enough?

Personally, i use Superduper! to clone my mac drive. I just clone my hackintosh drive using the "backup - all files" option. When the backup is complete, i install chameleon (2) on the drive and voila, i have a perfect (bootable) backup of my hackintosh installation :( . I now have 2 SATA drives in my system, the first is my primary installation and the second is a perfect (bootable) clone of it ;) (and best of all, it's free xD)

Superduper

Okay, so following the dd script, all I need to do to make my cloned drive is to use Superduper as above, then run #5 and #6 of the script and I'm set?

Can I leave this drive connected and when the chameleon boot screen comes up, just select the backup drive to boot from?

Sorry guys for this off-topic question, but I've seen lots of configs with this board now.

When I want to overclock the i7-920 to 3.6GHz and install a 4870, what kind of PSU do I need, is 425W enough?

some people would say yes... most would say no

i think it depends on HOW you overclock it...

i think there are online calculators that can figure out how much power youll need to overclock...

Okay, so following the dd script, all I need to do to make my cloned drive is to use Superduper as above, then run #5 and #6 of the script and I'm set?

Can I leave this drive connected and when the chameleon boot screen comes up, just select the backup drive to boot from?

No, actually, you only need to run option 2 (the bootloader) or run the stand-alone chameleon v1 of V2 RC1 installer ;). Superduper really copies every byte of your drive, except for the bootloader. So that's the only thing you need to install manually.

Hello,

I played a bit with my new Hackintosh. I haven't had any success installing Windows on a separate (tried XP, Vista, and 7 beta). It looks like it will load and then throws a BSOD at me. I tried having the HD on GSATA (IDE mode) and on SATA (AHCI) and I always seem to be getting the same results. I have XP installed into Parallels and it works fine however (had some network issues initially but all is good now). Still, I would like to have another native OS to boot this thing, just in case. Not sure Windows will be that useful to restore a hosed osX86 install but I still would prefer to have it.

What works so far:

- All my apps (including Adobe CS3 and Aperture)

- CD-DVD burning with Lightscribe, playing DVD

- Audio (TASCAM US122 & Plantronics headset all seem to be OK)

- Network

- Bluethooth

- Time Machine

- iChat with my Logitech webcam

- Virtualization (Parallels - had one KP probably because of it though)

- Quartz Extreme/Core Image

- Heck, everything I tried worked (aside from the Windows install)

Temperature-wise, temperature monitor gives me a pretty broad range of temperatures for the 8 cores (from 44-60 celcius under fairly low load). I was expecting a little less than that with the Mugen 2 (this thing is huge!). I will do a few tests under load to verify that everything is OK.

Colddiver