[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Is it possible to run the script from Tiger? The only thing I've been able to get up and running is my 10.4.3 disc on my original asrock p4dual.

<snip>

No, the script won't work in Tiger. I can confirm that. Sorry!

The bash version is different and doesn't have the same behavior.

MAJ

No, the script won't work in Tiger. I can confirm that. Sorry!

The bash version is different and doesn't have the same behavior.

MAJ

Alrighty. I kind of figured since my 10.4.3 install didn't like the guid. Should it work with a SL disk though?

Between my 4 or 5 disks and 2 machines, I think I forgot a combination. I'll see if I can get iDeneb going on my old box. Hit an "appleacpips2nub startup complete" with the first try.

I had Kalyway working on it a while back, but I can't remember how I did it (other than about 9 tries anyway :P )

Thanks alot

Alrighty. I kind of figured since my 10.4.3 install didn't like the guid. Should it work with a SL disk though?

Between my 4 or 5 disks and 2 machines, I think I forgot a combination. I'll see if I can get iDeneb going on my old box. Hit an "appleacpips2nub startup complete" with the first try.

I had Kalyway working on it a while back, but I can't remember how I did it (other than about 9 tries anyway ;) )

Thanks alot

The current script can be used to get into SL, but you'll need to install all SL kexts into S/L/E, as Leopard cannot build a x86_64 boot cache for it. Once in SL, however, a boot cache can be built, but not with my current script. The bash commands are different.

I'm currently working on a SL compatible version and will be releasing a beta version in the next few days, I hope.

It'll contain the updated bootloader, PC-EFI v10, that's compatible with SL.

It also contains the SL kexts and can be used to get into SL. Be aware that SL is very picky about kexts and boot cache changes.

You'll be able to select EFI strings for various cards from within the script, too.

No boot from EFI partition support is in, yet.

regards,

MAJ

Install was a success, however I did not use the script :whistle:

I installed kalyway on a GUID disk, added a Leo partition, install leopard retail and chameleon v2 from within the kalyway partition, copied the kexts to the EFI chameleon partition, updated retail leo to 10.5.7 and rebooted into retail leo. All is working great now! Thank you for the effort you've put into this Digital_Dreamer!

Although I do have a question, is DDR3 working and reporting incorrectly or is it only working at DDR2 speed (667MHz)?

Cheers

It seems that in this group the same questions get asked and answered over and over again. I think building a FAQ might be in order. It would save everybodys work :ninja:

I like that idea, but, how many people would read it?! :pirate2:

That's the problem. All the answers are in this forum. If people actually spent time reading what's already posted and not asking redundant questions, posting volume would be cut in half. But, rather than taking the time themselves to research the subject, they'd rather waste the time of others who have already made that effort.

Just my 2 non-recession-proof cents.

regards,

MAJ

PingunZ,

The DDR3 reporting issue is just cosmetic. If you are using the Cham2 bootloader, you should be using the smbios.plist that comes with it and that should be installed in the /Extra folder. The DDR3 code in that plist is 24.

I don't know why it's reporting differently, as I thought I had changed it to 24 and it should be automatically installed.

PingunZ,

The DDR3 reporting issue is just cosmetic. If you are using the Cham2 bootloader, you should be using the smbios.plist that comes with it and that should be installed in the /Extra folder. The DDR3 code in that plist is 24.

I don't know why it's reporting differently, as I thought I had changed it to 24 and it should be automatically installed.

Ok, that's great! Thanks again for all the help

I like that idea, but, how many people would read it?! :D

That's the problem. All the answers are in this forum. If people actually spent time reading what's already posted and not asking redundant questions, posting volume would be cut in half.

You could edit your first post to include the FAQ. While there will still be people that will post questions without reading I think it would cut the numbers down since alot of people should see it pretty quick. If you want I'd be more than happy to contribute some answers/questions for the FAQ.

You could edit your first post to include the FAQ. While there will still be people that will post questions without reading I think it would cut the numbers down since alot of people should see it pretty quick. If you want I'd be more than happy to contribute some answers/questions for the FAQ.

I'll 2nd / 3rd the suggestion for an FAQ. Part of the trouble with reading through the entire thread is the changes that have happened to the script / process over time as 10.5.7 has been released, new drivers, etc. So while the initial post should be up to date, what problems that people have found in early parts of the thread are no longer relevant, or are they still relevant?

I'm willing to dig through the thread to find answers to specific issues I might have (just ordered the parts this morning so I haven't gotten far enough to have trouble), but it's true... there seem to be some common issues that seem to have common culprits.

As far as who would read it... you could always just post a link to the FAQ anytime someone asks a question covered there-- at least then you don't have to spend the time writing out a response ;)

I like that idea, but, how many people would read it?! ;)

I agree. Not that many people want to read an addendum to the tutorial. We should just have a tutorial that has every detail and every possible problem addressed in this possible mega-tutorial. On top of that, I could help out as well. Maybe we could wiki the tutorial as to ease the creation of a group-contributed masterpiece. The first page of this tutorial would link to a wikidot page (free wiki interface) with the tutorial in it. I am sure other people want to contribute. I think this would be the best solution.

As far as who would read it... you could always just post a link to the FAQ anytime someone asks a question covered there-- at least then you don't have to spend the time writing out a response ;)

I second that and it's also easier to translate a faq than a forum :-)

I agree. Not that many people want to read an addition to a tutorial. We should just have a tutorial that has every detail and every possible problem addressed in this possible mega-tutorial. On top of that, I could help out as well. Maybe we could wiki the tutorial as to ease the creation of a group-contributed masterpiece. I think this would be the best solution.

You mean a wiki like someone started and linked to on about page 40 of this thread? ;)http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._Mobo,_Scripted

I have this same issue. I suspect that it's related to the JMicron/GSATA port since when I unplug any hard drives connected to those ports the problem goes away. In my case when not using those ports I'm still unable to wake up from sleep even though I can enter it properly but I suspect this is a separate problem related to my 4890.

Confirmed! I plugged all my drives on SATA ports and all my issues went away. Sleep is now fully working (in Mac OS X - not in Vista), shutdown/restart is quicker and I haven't experienced any weirdness with saving documents. Since the GSATA problems occurred on 2 different OS, I suspect that drivers are not to blame. This issue is most likely something that will have to be resolved through a BIOS update. Until we get such an update, I decided to deactivate the JMicron/GSATA ports. It looks like your sleep issues are indeed caused by your graphics card...

I haven't removed my fstab entries yet (the ones deactivating auto-mount) or the HD spin down in Energy Saver prefs. Will play with that and see how it goes.

Colddiver

You mean a wiki like someone started and linked to on about page 40 of this thread? :thumbsup_anim:http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._Mobo,_Scripted

I remember that wiki but it blanked on me when I wrote my last message. Since you may or may not have noticed the smoking chameleon, you may have figured out that I would have forgotten this. Its hard to see the forum with the bloodshot eyes.

I remember that wiki but it blanked on me when I wrote my last message. Since you may or may not have noticed the smoking chameleon, you may have figured out that I would have forgotten this. Its hard to see the forum with the bloodshot eyes.

:D

Confirmed! I plugged all my drives on SATA ports and all my issues went away. Sleep is now fully working (in Mac OS X - not in Vista), shutdown/restart is quicker and I haven't experienced any weirdness with saving documents. Since the GSATA problems occurred on 2 different OS, I suspect that drivers are not to blame. This issue is most likely something that will have to be resolved through a BIOS update. Until we get such an update, I decided to deactivate the JMicron/GSATA ports. It looks like your sleep issues are indeed caused by your graphics card...

I haven't removed my fstab entries yet (the ones deactivating auto-mount) or the HD spin down in Energy Saver prefs. Will play with that and see how it goes.

Colddiver

Wow I sure hope this works for me!! I have been waiting for a solution to this!! I am going to try right now!

EDIT: This did the trick! I now can sleep and wake from it with no problems!! :D THANKS COLDDIVER!!

The current script can be used to get into SL, but you'll need to install all SL kexts into S/L/E, as Leopard cannot build a x86_64 boot cache for it.

Sorry, I meant will it work with an image that's been cut down to fit on a single layer disc or does it need to be an unmodified disc. Too many acronyms, should've been more specific.

Personally I would rather search for a solution than make a post. It's just easier for me to find a possible solution that I can try right away.

Nearly everything I've searched for (on both the forums and google) points to this thread though and 100+ pages is overwhelming to say the least.

I think an i7/x58 specific faq would definitely be beneficial. The resources for these boards just isn't quite there yet. There will always be people who won't search for themselves, but this would at least make it easier for those who do.

At any rate, thanks for your hard work. ;)

Wow I sure hope this works for me!! I have been waiting for a solution to this!! I am going to try right now!

EDIT: This did the trick! I now can sleep and wake from it with no problems!! ;) THANKS COLDDIVER!!

Glad I could be of help but the credit should go to knightprozac, he is the one who pointed me in the right direction... I auto-mount some of the HD now (decided to not auto-mount Windows and a backup boot drive) and I also re-enabled the HD sleep option and I didn't get any trouble. The JMicron SATA was the only culprit here...

Colddiver

Front Panel Audio, 2nd Ethernet Port and Boot Time

Hello Digital Dreamer and all,

I am a noob to the Hackintosh world, but setting up an excellently working system was extremely easy using Digital Dreamers installer. THANK YOU!

I have a few minor issues that I am hoping you guys can help me work out.

Firstly, only one of my Ethernet jacks works correctly. When I plug in the second one, it shows up in my Network preferences as an Airport connection. It works okay as such for a while, but it will eventually cause a kernel panic if I leave it plugged in. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a known solution?

The second minor issue I have is I cannot figure out how to get the front audio panel working. I tried installing some of the optional audio drivers that came with the installer, but this results in a kernel panic on start up. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to get this to work?

Finally, I am wondering if there is a way to speed up booting. Is it possible to cache the AHCI settings so that I do not have to sit through the long AHCI bios boot? Also, I tried to edit the "timeout" setting in com.apple.boot.plist to get Chameleon to boot OS X more quickly... but to no avail. Where can I change this setting?

Thanks again, and sorry for the noob questions.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

920 core i7

Sapphire 4870 w/ 1gig RAM

6 gig Corsair DDR 3 memory

Glad I could be of help but the credit should go to knightprozac, he is the one who pointed me in the right direction... I auto-mount some of the HD now (decided to not auto-mount Windows and a backup boot drive) and I also re-enabled the HD sleep option and I didn't get any trouble. The JMicron SATA was the only culprit here...

Colddiver

I was pretty sure it'd be the problem. Unfortunately for me I'm running a hardware RAID from the motherboard and I could only get that to work in OS X with the JMicron ports so fixing my sleep is not so easy. I need to figure out the fix for my graphics card (if it really is the cause of one of the problems) and either find a fix for sleep on the JMicron or figure out how to get my RAID to work on the blue ICH10 ports.

Hello community

So I am one step further in my OSX project. :D

Here again the specs of my hardware for your reference:

- GA-EX58-UD5

- Core i7 920 with D0 stepping

- 6 Gb RAM (Mushkin, tripple channel)

- NVIDIA GT 9600 graphics card (Asus Type, silent)

- WD VelociRaptro HD 300 Gb.

Currently installed: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on the first partition.

Thanks to help in the forum, I managed to boot the iATKOS Distro 10.5.7 (busratio=20 was the key).

After that, I installed from iATKOS DVD to an external USB HD. Restarting working ok.

First I fixed the Graphics with EFI-Studio, rebooted again and voila, GFX working as well.

So far so good, the problem with the distro is that most of the other hardware is not properly working.

My idea now was to use the latest script version 3.9.1 here to install the missing kexts and set permissions right. IATKOS already uses Chameleon 2 RC1 so i figured that I could skip the first points in the script and directly start with 5.

Did 5 and 7. Rebooted.

Very strange.... the installation with the script did not seem to have any effect regarding hardware working, made it even worse: GFX card was not working anymore, could however easily correct this with EFI Studio again. Still no network.

My next idea:

Install over the existing installation the latest 10.5.7. compo updater from apple (to make sure that all vanilla kexts and kernel are installed)

After that I would again proceed with the script and do steps 5-7.

I have not done that yet.

Would that be a wise idea to do?

So:

Any suggestions how to get the distro working so that I can use it for my retail installation?

I would like the have at least networking which is not currently working. I know this is not exatly the thread here to "fix" the iATKOS distro installation for my needs, but I still hope the script can also serve as a tool to do that so I can plan the next steps for my installation on my internal HD, which will be dual boot.

Thanks

Mike

Hello community

So I am one step further in my OSX project. :D

Here again the specs of my hardware for your reference:

- GA-EX58-UD5

- Core i7 920 with D0 stepping

- 6 Gb RAM (Mushkin, tripple channel)

- NVIDIA GT 9600 graphics card (Asus Type, silent)

- WD VelociRaptro HD 300 Gb.

Currently installed: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on the first partition.

Thanks to help in the forum, I managed to boot the iATKOS Distro 10.5.7 (busratio=20 was the key).

After that, I installed from iATKOS DVD to an external USB HD. Restarting working ok.

First I fixed the Graphics with EFI-Studio, rebooted again and voila, GFX working as well.

So far so good, the problem with the distro is that most of the other hardware is not properly working.

My idea now was to use the latest script version 3.9.1 here to install the missing kexts and set permissions right. IATKOS already uses Chameleon 2 RC1 so i figured that I could skip the first points in the script and directly start with 5.

Did 5 and 7. Rebooted.

Very strange.... the installation with the script did not seem to have any effect regarding hardware working, made it even worse: GFX card was not working anymore, could however easily correct this with EFI Studio again. Still no network.

My next idea:

Install over the existing installation the latest 10.5.7. compo updater from apple (to make sure that all vanilla kexts and kernel are installed)

After that I would again proceed with the script and do steps 5-7.

I have not done that yet.

Would that be a wise idea to do?

So:

Any suggestions how to get the distro working so that I can use it for my retail installation?

I would like the have at least networking which is not currently working. I know this is not exatly the thread here to "fix" the iATKOS distro installation for my needs, but I still hope the script can also serve as a tool to do that so I can plan the next steps for my installation on my internal HD, which will be dual boot.

Thanks

Mike

I think I'd boot from the iATKOS distribution, then use that to install the retail DVD/combo updater and all the relevant steps onto your internal disk (i assume that's the end goal?). The iATKOS distribution doesn't need to be 100%. As long as you can see your internal disk, I think that's all that really matters. For me when I originally set up my utility disk, even my graphics didn't work... no audio, no nothing... but it booted long enough for me to install the retail install and the relevant bootloader/kext onto the internal disk.

Once that's done, if you want a 100% utility disk, then you can set that up from your NEW working OS :D

I think I'd boot from the iATKOS distribution, then use that to install the retail DVD/combo updater and all the relevant steps onto your internal disk (i assume that's the end goal?). The iATKOS distribution doesn't need to be 100%. As long as you can see your internal disk, I think that's all that really matters. For me when I originally set up my utility disk, even my graphics didn't work... no audio, no nothing... but it booted long enough for me to install the retail install and the relevant bootloader/kext onto the internal disk.

Once that's done, if you want a 100% utility disk, then you can set that up from your NEW working OS :(

Do you have suggestion what to do for patitioning?

Is a partition with Mac OS Journaled ok or is GUID mandatory? I assume the Chameleon loader will be installed on the same partition then as Mac OS or is that also depandant whether MBR or GUID installation?

This is still something I find very confusing.

Cheers, Mike

hi,

ill start from here:

specs:

gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.6)

intel core i7 920 (D0 stepping)

ECS geforce 9500GT 512mb

(i also have my previous, ATI radeon hd2400 256MB somewhere)

pioneer bdc-202 (sata bd-rom drive)

3ware 9650SE (2-port hardware raid controller, pci-e) striping a pair of big fat seagate sata II 32mb cache disks

another seagate sata II disk inside an enclosure (usb2.0 / fw800 / eSATA)

macbook pro (core 2 duo) with 10.5.7

onboard stuff:

azalia audio

texas instruments firewire chip

realtek LAN chip

intel ICH10R southbridge (6-port sata II)

gigabyte sata II controller, 2-port (i noticed in verbose mode that Jmicron driver is handling it on my hackint0sh installs)

i can do a very "vanilla-like" installation using "1. DIGITAL_DREAMER'S STANDARD RETAIL DVD INSTALL" method at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505 with no big problems. LAN is working, onboard audio - i dont care, coz im using firewire audio interface anyway, gfx - here we get to my...

problem #1:

i can't get either of my two gfx cards to work with QE / CI. i need this coz i intend to work with Logic Studio on this machine and it requires QE (i know there are ways around it using Pacifist, but it didn't turn out the best way for me so far). i may be using Final Cut Pro later in the future, and imagine it will need QE/CI even more critically than Logic.

problem #2:

wow to make a working install onto my RAID array?

method:

- i connect my enclosured disk through fw800 to my macbook,

- re-partition it in disk utility

- do everything by the afore-mentioned digital dreamer's guide, installing onto the external disk, from retail 10.5.6 ISO, apply 10.5.7 patch to the same disk, do the tweaks, disconnect ext. disk from macbook, connect it to pc, boot from it, everything works like charm.

from here on, my priority is the the hw-accelerated gfx. if i dont make the RAID work, well then, phuck it i guess, ill be on normal sata II AHCI. but that QE/CI i will need.

for either gfx card, i have tried several methods all found on this forum (nvinstaller v52, messing with efi strings, osx86 utils, EFI studio, all of that...) none seems to work. i have even extracted the vga bios rom from the geforce and then the EFI string from it. i have a 15-year pc servicing experience, but im rather new to macs. it took me 3 days just to find a way to successfully boot from usb on this board (!) as it's been a few years since i last needed to do that. who would have thought that this board will only boot from usb if you disable usb2.0 in bios and only keep usb 1.1 on? ;))

about that RAID:

i have managed to successfuly inject RAID controller drivers into my iATKOS v7 ISO and the installation works well, but i end up with the notorious "waiting for root device".

haven't found a way around it yet, but my thoughts here are:

iatkos installer recognises my raid and allows me to install to those raid disks, but: is it possible that the same drivers that are present in the installer, are not loaded when booting after installation?

i guess tonight i could try this: boot PC to the installation on the enclosed drive, install raid drivers to recognize raid disks, run digital dreamer's installation to the raid disk, then reboot from raid disk.

sorry to splash my problems here in such an inconsistent manner, but this is all doing my head in, i have spent all week studing this forum and although i am making some progress, i still have some essential problems unsolved. thoughts anyone? :()

I'm currently working on a SL compatible version and will be releasing a beta version in the next few days, I hope.

It'll contain the updated bootloader, PC-EFI v10, that's compatible with SL.

It also contains the SL kexts and can be used to get into SL. Be aware that SL is very picky about kexts and boot cache changes.

You'll be able to select EFI strings for various cards from within the script, too.

No boot from EFI partition support is in, yet.

Hey MAJ,

I'll be happy to help Beta test this, out of interest are you still getting the CMOS reset when restarting/shuting down in SL?