[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Temperature-wise, temperature monitor gives me a pretty broad range of temperatures for the 8 cores (from 44-60 celcius under fairly low load). I was expecting a little less than that with the Mugen 2 (this thing is huge!). I will do a few tests under load to verify that everything is OK.

Colddiver

Ive had very similar results but I still have the stock cooler... I do have 4 fans in my case running on high all the time though...

Any reason to worry since this is idle temperatures?

MAJ.

If you need help beta testing for 10.6, give me a yell too.

I just ran your script again on a fresh setup with the following hardware with pretty much 100% success for what I need.

Hardware for beta testing includes:

GA-EX58-UD5 w/ i7 920

12GB RAM

Areca ARC-1222 SAS/SATA RAID HBA

ATI HD4870 Dual DVI

FW800 Add on Card

LG BD/HDDVD Combo

Wireless Di Novo KB for Mac, MX Revolution

Mac webcam from Logitech (forgot the model ;))

Drobo w/ Drobo Dash via FW800

WD MyBook Studio 2 via FW800

Dual 24" DVI screens.

Would be using a AHCI attached 2.5" HDD for testing if required.

Still, I would like to have another native OS to boot this thing, just in case. Not sure Windows will be that useful to restore a hosed osX86 install but I still would prefer to have it.

Temperature-wise, temperature monitor gives me a pretty broad range of temperatures for the 8 cores (from 44-60 celcius under fairly low load). I was expecting a little less than that with the Mugen 2 (this thing is huge!). I will do a few tests under load to verify that everything is OK.

You are correct in thinking Windows won't be very useful to fix your osX86. If you want that security you could always do 2nd OSX install.

Temperature monitor isn't quite as good as windows programs at reporting temperature but your temps do seem a bit high. I'm running overclocked at 3.8GHz (181x21) and my idle temps are 35°C-40°C. I do have case fans right next to my mugen 2 though and better quality thermal paste.

I'm a little stuck and could use a little help :blink:

I've followed the guide aswell as what this guy said (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144639&st=640&p=1168561entry1168561) because he's got the same board as me. (P6T, non-deluxe)

Anyway I get to the point where I'm about to boot on this drive for the 1st time after and it just hangs here... its been here for 45min :P

post-379327-1246946666_thumb.jpg

Alright, I still have a feeling it is running at 3.2 instead of 2.67 because when it puts me on the chart of similar builds... it shows me as 3.2ghz on the processor scale... unless geekbench is misreading as well.

I probably will end up overclocking as soon as i buy an aftermarket processor heatsink.

thanks.

Geekbench is just reporting the same bad info as About This Mac. Neither app is getting the speed directly --they're both using the same intermediate library (part of the OS). Even if that library knows how to calculate the speed for our i7's, it could still get bad parameters from other sources, such as SMBIOS.

If you look at CPU-X, you can see for yourself how screwed up the information is. For me, it's reporting 3200MHz core, with a 9.5 multiplier and a 333MHz FSB. Absolutely impossible. Firstly, 9.5x333 = 3163.5; not 3200. Secondly, in order to reach 3200 with a 9.5 multiplier, you'd need a base clock of 336.84... but fractional divisions are not permissible. Thirdly, the X58 base clock tops out at around 200MHz, when HEAVILY overclocked -- 336MHz would literally melt your northbridge.

Above all, Mac OS X is completely incapable of overclocking your CPU. It would require third party software that doesn't exist for the Mac.

My machine is running fine, but I still have some minor issues with the shutdown/awake from sleep:

Shutdown sometimes (but this is quite rare) does't work: Finder (and any opened app fin any) is closed, but I still have the wallpaper and the machine never shuts down.

The sleep/wake up works fine if I do it manually, but when the computer goes in sleep mode automatically (as set from the energy saver pane from systeme preferences) then it is not possible to wake up.

Any clue ?

I am using a retail installation (from DD script v3.8) and only added an efi string in boot.plist to get CI/QE enabled on my 9500 GT

Edit: waow, 100 pages...

Maybe you should consider splitting this topic (the "print/download this topic" does not fully display it) as searching for information inside the topic is difficult.

You are correct in thinking Windows won't be very useful to fix your osX86. If you want that security you could always do 2nd OSX install.

Temperature monitor isn't quite as good as windows programs at reporting temperature but your temps do seem a bit high. I'm running overclocked at 3.8GHz (181x21) and my idle temps are 35°C-40°C. I do have case fans right next to my mugen 2 though and better quality thermal paste.

Please share your overclock bios settings (if you're on the EX58-UD5)! I've been trying to get an overclock to boot but have not had any luck (I have D0 stepping).

Could you explain D0 stepping?

Please share your overclock bios settings (if you're on the EX58-UD5)! I've been trying to get an overclock to boot but have not had any luck (I have D0 stepping).

Ok... I managed to install [stupid] Windows XP on one of my HD by plugging the HD into one of the GSATA port and by disabling AHCI. The issue with AHCI and XP is rather annoying. I imagine Vista is a bit more compatible but I don't think I can justify the upgrade expense for something I will probably rarely use. The HD now sits on its own on GSATA and I had to disable it in the BIOS in order to boot Mac OS X (even though I did specify the OS X HD as the first boot device, XP started anyway). It's there, not sure if I will keep it (may actually install a backup OS X there instead - will be more useful to restore a hosed oX86 setup).

I played a bit my BIOS (not on very familiar turf here, being a pure Mac user). Looks like I will have to tweak a few things to get my RAM to work at it rated 1600. I don't know if I will bother with overclocking - I'm quite happy with the speed as is (compared to my dual G5, this thing is flying!).

Colddiver

I set up Time Machine and it backed up my drive fine. However when I click the time machine icon on my dock, it opens up 2 finder windows and just sits there. Anyone else have this issue?

I am using a retail installation (from DD script v3.8) and only added an efi string in boot.plist to get CI/QE enabled on my 9500 GT

I added an efi string using osx86tools for my evga 9500 gt but still do not have CI/QE enabled. Could you tell me how you did it?

I'm surprised you haven't been able to get an overclock to boot. I haven't done anything special really, just changed bclk to 181 (can go higher just fine but gets a little noisier), enabled load-line calibration and changed V-core to about 1.9 and RAM Voltage to about 1.6. I only changed V-Core from Auto because it got me much better temperatures but I haven't really played around with different levels to find an optimal setting.

Colddiver:

You could get the Windows 7 open beta for free from MS. I've heard people have had trouble using chameleon with it on the same hard drive but it works perfectly fine when it's installed onto a separate drive.

In terms of sleep problems I've never been able to get sleep working on my build. I think either my RAID or my JMicron controller is preventing it.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to get an overclock to boot. I haven't done anything special really, just changed bclk to 181 (can go higher just fine but gets a little noisier), enabled load-line calibration and changed V-core to about 1.9 and RAM Voltage to about 1.6. I only changed V-Core from Auto because it got me much better temperatures but I haven't really played around with different levels to find an optimal setting.

It goes to the grey apple screen and instead of the spinning thing, a bunch of text scrolls down the page. What kind of geekbench scores are you getting at 181? I'm getting about 8500 stock and am just wondering if I would even notice a difference in speed. I do mainly Photoshop and Lightroom work.

Ok... I managed to install [stupid] Windows XP on one of my HD by plugging the HD into one of the GSATA port and by disabling AHCI. The issue with AHCI and XP is rather annoying. I imagine Vista is a bit more compatible but I don't think I can justify the upgrade expense for something I will probably rarely use. The HD now sits on its own on GSATA and I had to disable it in the BIOS in order to boot Mac OS X (even though I did specify the OS X HD as the first boot device, XP started anyway). It's there, not sure if I will keep it (may actually install a backup OS X there instead - will be more useful to restore a hosed oX86 setup).

I played a bit my BIOS (not on very familiar turf here, being a pure Mac user). Looks like I will have to tweak a few things to get my RAM to work at it rated 1600. I don't know if I will bother with overclocking - I'm quite happy with the speed as is (compared to my dual G5, this thing is flying!).

Colddiver

I was successful in getting XP running by initially setting AHCI off and QPI speed to Slow. Then set AHCI on after installing XP by using one of the easily retrievable guides on setting ACHI on after installing XP. Then QPI is set to highest setting.

I have installed Chameleon 2 on my computer with DD script and it is running very well. Thanks again Maj! ;) I have since tried to install Chameleon 2 on my wifes computer which is identical to mine with the exception of her video card. GeForce 9500 GT

I was getting it to boot into Chameleon but after the gas gauge finished it flashed black and rebooted itself and was caught in a loop. Doing the same thing over and over... This happened for several futile attempts.

I finally used a Kalyway disc that I have had for ever and never used and was able to install a OS and retry the script. After many tries and even cloning the drive from my working computer and installing it on hers, I have finally got Chameleon 2 installed using the DD script. Running and booting fine with the exception of a few things:

• my internal SATA drives icons show up as " orange removable drives "

• my ethernet does not show up at all- I try to establish a connection in my " network " pane in system prefs and I only show two firewire ports and no ethernet. When I plug the ethernet in the jack on the motherboard - no green light or any light at all.

Other than this which I suspect is extension problems which I dont know how I got them or how to resolve them. Being that I did the DD retail install using the script. I have tried to install and reinstall several times with no success. I am hoping I can salvage this install with a simple fix and some help. As I already have the Display working well with a EFI string on the boot.apple.com.plist in the extra folder. I am close to the finish line but need a little push...

All help is greatly appreciated. ( I have spent 4 days on this now since before 4th of July and I am not having as much fun as I used to )

:D

Thank You for all your help...

Colddiver:

You could get the Windows 7 open beta for free from MS. I've heard people have had trouble using chameleon with it on the same hard drive but it works perfectly fine when it's installed onto a separate drive.

Yeah... Tried it. Failed to install (getting a file missing error - tried in virtualization as well with the same result).

Colddiver

Alrighty, well I haven't been here since 10.5.6 mostly because of the busy school year and such.

I just want to say a big thanks to DD and everyone else again.

I am now back with some new questions as I am running 10.5.7 now. Everything installed smoothly, but now I am having problems when I plug something into the usbs they are not recognized unless I do a full reset. So basically my external and iphone will not show up.

My only guess is that I need to redo my EFI partition because the voodoo kernel is no longer needed along with the seatbelt kexts and so on. If some one could just get me up to speed on some things i should do/know now that I am running 10.5.7.

I would also like to install chameleon 2 and was wondering if I could just user your script DD and just not do the Leopard install again?

Alrighty, well I haven't been here since 10.5.6 mostly because of the busy school year and such.

I am now back with some new questions as I am running 10.5.7 now. Everything installed smoothly, but now I am having problems when I plug something into the usbs they are not recognized unless I do a full reset. So basically my external and iphone will not show up.

My only guess is that I need to redo my EFI partition because the voodoo kernel is no longer needed along with the seatbelt kexts and so on. If some one could just get me up to speed on some things i should do/know now that I am running 10.5.7.

I would also like to install chameleon 2 and was wondering if I could just user your script DD and just not do the Leopard install again?

Craig, whatever you do - DONT REBOOT with your I-phone attached to your PC. This completely ruined a working install on my wifes computer and started my descent into Hackintosh hell.

It added a bunch of extensions that were not supported and kept it from properly booting and required a complete new install.

Not cool...

the USB thing is usually caused by using a System.kext that is not the same one that shipped with the kernel you are using. if you have installed the kernel from 10.5.7 you should be using the System.kext that matches it. probably you have the right System.kext in /S/L/E but you still have one in /Extra/Extensions (or even if its not there, it may still be compiled into the Extensions.mkext that you are using).

if you move it out of /Extra/Extensions/ and rebuid Extensions.mkext, assuming you have the correct System.kext in /S/L/E, you should be fine.

No, actually, you only need to run option 2 (the bootloader) or run the stand-alone chameleon v1 of V2 RC1 installer :unsure:. Superduper really copies every byte of your drive, except for the bootloader. So that's the only thing you need to install manually.

I made the clone and didn't run anything from the script. When I rebooted, I selected the cloned drive in Chameleon and it booted fine. My guess is that if I removed the system drive, it wouldn't boot because Chameleon isn't installed. Can I run option 2 and install Chameleon AND keep that drive in the system or will two installs of Chameleon cause issues?

• my internal SATA drives icons show up as " orange removable drives "

• my ethernet does not show up at all- I try to establish a connection in my " network " pane in system prefs and I only show two firewire ports and no ethernet. When I plug the ethernet in the jack on the motherboard - no green light or any light at all.

You'll need to reset the BIOS or clear the CMOS to get your ethernet back.

For the "orange removable drives," make sure the LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is installed.

regards

MAJ

Man, right when I decide to give OSX another go, my DVD drive kicks the bucket, so I can't install a distro in order to run the installer... Just my luck, haha...

Boot from another drive and install from a disk image. Faster anyway.

I added an efi string using osx86tools for my evga 9500 gt but still do not have CI/QE enabled. Could you tell me how you did it?

I wrote a tutorial, unfortunately is it in French ;) (here)

Hre is the process I followed:

I retreived the NVCAP of my video card by runningthe nVFlash tools in DOS mode from a DOS bootable USB stick.

I was able to dump the BIOS from my card with the following command:

nvflash --save bios.rom

Then I used NVCAP Maker, an OSX tools that will extract the NVCAP from the bios.rom file dumped with nVFlash

You should get a string that looks like that: 04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

There is a quicker method to get this string directly from OSX: just type ioreg -l -w0 | grep NVCAP in the terminal

But by using this command, you may get a weird string looking like this:

d38d34d34d34d34d34d37d34d1cd34d34d34d34d34d34d3bd34d34d34d34

I found out (with to warranty) that it is possible to convert this "weird" string to the correct format by using the following "dictionnary":

d34 = 00, d35=01, d36=02, d37=03, d38=04, d39=05, d3a=06, d3b=07, d3c=08, d3e=09

d1a = 0a, d1b=0b, d1c=0c, d1e=0e, d1f=0f

When you have your correct string, open OSX86Tools and then:

Click on Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags

Click on GFX Strings icon

Select "Custom GeForce" in the "Graphic Card" section

Type the name of your car: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

Select the memory depending on your card

In the next window "Display output configuration" choose "Custom..."

and paste the NVCAP string

OSX86Tools, will then give you the (long) GFX String for your card

Put then this string in the boot.plist (in the /Extra folder) file withing the following XML structure:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>THE_GFX_STRING_GOES_HERE</string>

You may need administrator rights to update the boot.plist file (chmod command and emacs text editor may be helpful)

Boot from another drive and install from a disk image. Faster anyway.

I can't seem to boot any of the OSX distros I've tried without burning them. (Kalyway and iAtkos). For some reason, the ISO doesn't mount correctly, so I can't install from another drive... And I can't make a bootable USB install for some reason.