[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I just finished my install following this guide (thanks DD!!!!). I'm using a GTS 250 so I entered the strings for that card into com.apple.boot.plist. I wasn't sure which file to put it in so I put it into both (is that okay?) Graphics work and when I look in system profiler it says "Hardware Accelerated" and Quartz Extreme "Supported" so I guess that's all there is to it, right?

When I open Activity Monitor it only shows activity for one core. Is there a way to fix that?

I ran Geekbench and scored about 8400. I lucked out and have a D0 stepping 920 so I plan on kicking it up a few notches.

Everything is nice and quiet in a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case (I really like it).

first off, thanks to dd and everyone on this forum whose posts i picked up useful things from.

I am close to getting the retail install working. If i use the version of chameleon 2.0 that comes with the dd 3.9 script, it can boot, but only with the -x flag. If i use the version of chameleon 2.0 i found through google, i now have the Extensions folder in the Extra folder, which means sound works (hopefully), but it won't quite boot anymore. Here is my setup:

Mac OS 10.5.6 (bought from Best Buy a couple days ago)

EVGA x58 mobo

WD IDE HDD (has bootloader & retail install on it)

Seagate IDE HDD (many partitions, running kalyway perfectly)

when i boot the retail install with -v -x, it gets past "jettisoning kernel", says a few more things, then some things with "fail" in it, then a log saved to somewhere i can't remember  :)

here is some of my computer's last words after using the -v boot flag

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI000/AppleACPIPCI/PEX1@1C,1/10PC12PC10ridgn/JMB1@0, 1/JMicronATAAppleATADiskDriver/10ATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/WDC WD8000B-75CAA0 WD

BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

Jettisoning kernel linker,

Resetting IOCatalogue,

display: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 1

Matching service count = 2

Matching service count = 3

MacPro4,1: stalling for module

Matching service count = 1

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacPro4,1)

AppleTyMCEDriver::start(MacPro4,1) (1)

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8

AppleTyMCEDriver::start memory monitor trough MCA

|_|

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at this point, the keyboard loses power and the system hangs.

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacPro4,1)

AppleTyMCEDriver::start(MacPro4,1) (1)

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8

AppleTyMCEDriver::start memory monitor trough MCA

|_|

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at this point, the keyboard loses power and the system hangs.

Google may help you and insalymac too !

=> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...66078&st=80

Google may help you and insalymac too !

=> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...66078&st=80

Hmm, thanks for this tsunoo. I changed it to 3,1. Now it doesn't hang in the same spot anymore; it gets a little further. It still seems to have a problem with the kext though:

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacPro3,1)
AppleTyMCEDriver::probe failed

it then says a log was saved to Library/Logs/CrashReporter, but it looks like nonsense...

EDIT: pasted wrong thing in code block

So if we want to update to the newer chameleon 2.0 r431, do we just download and install it? Or do we have to install it in the script and run that?

Also, how do you maintain this setup? For example, when a newer script is released, how do we update our setup? And how do we install new .kexts for graphics and what not? I just need some clarification as to how to maintain my machine....

Thanks all!!

EX85-UD5 Totally Silent Computer

Thank you for that post! I'm also building a silent i7 rig atm, but my specs differ from yours, besides that I'm building it around the EX58-UD3R (have no need for the extra on the UD5):

Case: Antec P182 (it has anti-vibration hdd cages and anti-noise sidepanels - should be a bit quieter than the Sonata!)

Case Fans: I'm gonna replace ALL three Antec fans with Scythe S-Flex 120mm 800rpm Super Silent fans. Shouldn't be audible from what I've read.

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12P 1366 with 2 Silent Fans (I guess you win here, your Scythe is probably quieter)

GPU: Asus 8600GT Silent (also completely noiseless)

PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 525W - not as quiet as your fanless PSU, I have to admit, but also very quiet.

I'll also use rubber anti-vibration parts for all case fans + PSU.

Hmm, thanks for this tsunoo. I changed it to 3,1. Now it doesn't hang in the same spot anymore; it gets a little further. It still seems to have a problem with the kext though:

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacPro3,1)
AppleTyMCEDriver::probe failed

it then says a log was saved to Library/Logs/CrashReporter, but it looks like nonsense...

EDIT: pasted wrong thing in code block

Perhaps is your PC not so Mac OS X compatible? Do you have a GA-EX58-UD5 mainboard? Perhaps should you remove some extra components (if you have any)..

DD, my Geekbench 32-bit is actually lower too for some reason. Stock I was getting around 11,500 or so and now at 3.67ghz I get around 10,850-11,000. That is odd. I will look into it.

You were getting 11,500 stock??? I have the same build but I only get 8500. What could be causing such a big difference?

setup:

ga-ex58-ud3r

core i7 920

3gb ddr3 corsair dominator 1600

37gb sata1.5 wd raptor 10k rpm

640gb sata3

evga 9500gt 1gb ddr2

I attempted to install ipc 10.5.6 universal to use as my base install for this method. i put in the dvd, enter -v -x flags and it starts loading then restarts after like 5 seconds. I then tried an old kalyway 10.5.1 and was able to install it, but when it goes to boot it does the exact same thing.

bios is set to ahci mode, ram at 1.65v to get memory to function at 1600. all other settings at default

Any ideas?

thanks a ton

rob

EX85-UD5 Totally Silent Computer

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but some people in this group might find this information useful :)

I want my computer to be as silent and stable as possible. Lately I got annoyed by the noise emitted by my processor cooler and the power supply fan, so I started to google around to find silent replacements for these parts. Here is what I found:

My current hardware list is:

- Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EX58-UD5. (Bios version F5).

- Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2,66GHz

- Processor Cooler: Scythe Mugen II (Totally noiseless)

- Ram: Kingston ValueRam 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz CL7 (KVR1066D3N7K3/6G)

- Graphics: ASUS GF 8400GS SIL PCIE 512MB 64BIT DDR2 (Passive Cooling and totally noiseless)

- Computer Case: Antec Sonata III

- Power Supply: FSP Zen 400 (Totally noiseless)

- Hard Disk: 1,5 TB Seagate SATA Hard Disk.

- Bluetooth: MSI PC2PC-Bluetooth Transceiving Key (MS-6967-010) Bluetooth Wireless Adapter.

- BluRay SATA Burner: Lite-On DH-4B1S DVD+/-RW ja BD-RE

- Monitor: Sony TV KDL32W4000

That looks like a pretty capable machine, except for one weak point: Graphics. The 8400GS is pretty anemic by today's standards. For example, most games released over the past 4 years will run like a slide show, even on the lowest settings. It's not just games, either. 3D animation programs, Photoshop CS4, Final Cut Pro, Motion, iMovie/iDVD, or any other application that uses Core Image, won't run quite as well as it could. When Snow Leopard ships in the coming months, it will have a feature called OpenCL. This is basically an API that makes it easier for developers to utilize the graphics card for non-graphics (general purpose) tasks. When dealing with highly parallel general purpose tasks, a decent graphics card will run circles around our shiny new i7's.

I would recommend a card that's powerful enough to require a cooling fan :o I'm kidding, but I'm not. Something like a 250 at the absolute minimum. For now, OS X can only use one GPU. So, cards with multiple GPUs (GTX 295 and Radeon X2 cards) will only work at half-capacity in OS X --The same goes for multiple *cards* in SLI or Crossfire.

Personally, I'm running a pair of 8800GT's in SLI. In windows, this combination is faster than a single GTX 280, and roughly on par with a 285. But as mentioned, OS X only recognizes one of those cards. The reason for going SLI is that I already had one 8800GT and wanted to save some cash. If I were buying new, I'd have gotten a 280 or 285.

In case you're curious, the GTS 250 is essentially a die shrunk 8800GT, which, for some reason, NVIDIA renamed a half-dozen times.

Where was I?? Oh yeah... Great machine you've got, but I recommend a better card.

When I open Activity Monitor it only shows activity for one core. Is there a way to fix that?

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be. If you go to "Window" --> "Floating CPU Window," you'll see 8 threads in all their magnificent glory. Apple must've figured that having histories for 8 threads would be too cluttered; so they give one "average" history instead.

Hello,

I ordered everything for my i7 hackintosh but I still have to wait for my case. In the meantime, I attempted to setup my HD (a 1 TB WD Caviar Black - made a 10.5.7 retail setup and also cloned my existing OS with Carbon Copy Cloner). I was hoping to setup the boot drive using my PowerMac G5 and DD's script bot no joy. The script reports an error when doing step 5 (complains that Chameleon does not appear to be installed and that the /Extra folder is missing). Looks like DD's script is not very stable under PPC. I made several attempts with similar results. I double checked and the drive is indeed formatted with GPT. I made a few attempts at installing manually using fdisk and dd (following another tutorial). Somehow, Finder hangs when trying to mount the partition (I could access it successfully with the terminal, however).

Once I have the case, I will try again from a osX86 distro. This is only a minor delay! :)

Colddiver

Hi all,

I just finished to build my first hackintosh :

INTEL Core i7 920 - 2.66 GHz - Cache L2 8 Mo

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 - 3 x 2 Go (6 Go) 1600 MHz - CAS 7 - Platinum XTC

Zotac GeForce GTS 250 - 512 Mo GDDR3

powered by a 600W PSU Cooler Master Silent Master

Install : 10.5.6 retail iso + 10.5.7 update , sata disk simply plugged to my genuine macbookpro with a sata to usb adapter.

Used the very nice "X58 Mobo Patch Installer" to install Chameleon and some /extra kexts

and... everything worked out of the box :):D:)

Audio, network, sleep/wakeup, firewire... all ok.

I only had to add a gfx string at the end of the boot.plist to get my GC fully working. I used a 9800GTX/512Mo string.

Thanks all for your advices

B.

Now that I have the DD scripted install working great, I would like to clone the drive. For my other Mac's (made by Apple), I use CCC to clone the drives onto firewire drives so I can boot from them if my boot drive dies. I really don't understand the chameleon process or EFI so I don't know if CCC will be able to make a bootable drive. Can someone help me get a process down that will allow me to create a bootable backup so I will have minimal downtime in case of a hard drive failure?

Also, using the DD script, is there a small partition on the boot drive or is it like grub and it installs on the MBR?

Thanks!

What is the stability of this kind of system? Can it be you primary work computer? Or are their updates (kexts and thing) that you have to keep doing? Deciding between this or a mac pro.....

I've been using hackintoshes almost exclusively since 2005. It came at just the right time, too, as I was on the verge of completely abandoning the platform. In the early 00's, Apple started to phase out the mid/high-end desktop; the iMac was elevated in status (but not performance), and the towers became workstations. I loved the Mac, but I wasn't willing to get forcibly penetrated, just for the ability to use OS X.

To answer your question, in the very beginning, each update required special attention, but that's not really the case any more --provided you have the right hardware. These days, we have EFI boot loaders, which makes most of the old hacking unnecessary. The few hacks we do still need (DSDT, gfx strings, special kexts) only need to be done once. While I can't make any promises for the future, software updates have been working for a while now on (supported hardware).

Now that I have the DD scripted install working great, I would like to clone the drive. For my other Mac's (made by Apple), I use CCC to clone the drives onto firewire drives so I can boot from them if my boot drive dies. I really don't understand the chameleon process or EFI so I don't know if CCC will be able to make a bootable drive. Can someone help me get a process down that will allow me to create a bootable backup so I will have minimal downtime in case of a hard drive failure?

Also, using the DD script, is there a small partition on the boot drive or is it like grub and it installs on the MBR?

Thanks!

Personally, i use Superduper! to clone my mac drive. I just clone my hackintosh drive using the "backup - all files" option. When the backup is complete, i install chameleon (2) on the drive and voila, i have a perfect (bootable) backup of my hackintosh installation :D. I now have 2 SATA drives in my system, the first is my primary installation and the second is a perfect (bootable) clone of it ;) (and best of all, it's free xD)

Superduper

Personally, i use Superduper! to clone my mac drive. I just clone my hackintosh drive using the "backup - all files" option. When the backup is complete, i install chameleon (2) on the drive and voila, i have a perfect (bootable) backup of my hackintosh installation :). I now have 2 SATA drives in my system, the first is my primary installation and the second is a perfect (bootable) clone of it :) (and best of all, it's free xD)

Superduper

Okay, thanks for the info. Can someone tell me what isn't considered "stock" in the OSX install that uses the DD script?

Also, can I clone the install to a firewire/USB drive and then boot from it?

Start off by saying...

Thank you guys so much for the guides and the help thus far.

assembly went perfect... and after tinkering a bit to get my gigabyte nVidia 9800 GT graphics card working.

Gaphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0614

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

working great... changing resolutions has some problems as the screen turns blue and i have to reboot and it then shows the selected resolution but other than that. :angel: very happy with the graphic card!

I'm having some problems with the Audio...

in the system profiler its coming up as...

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

Available Devices:

I have a GA-EX58-UD3R mobo...

so that is the Realtek ALC888

I used DD's script with whatever audio kexts he included in that... and the audio isnt working... I believe the UD5 is the 889A chipset and my UD3R is the 888 chipset...

Ive searched around a bit and havent found a fullproof way of getting this audio to work... Do I need to remove the previous audio kexts before I install the new one? how do i remove kexts? (anyway to not use terminal?)

the audio i have installed right now is the : HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAController, and LegacyHDAPlatormDiver (default in DD's script)

another problem i'm having is with mouse and keyboard lag glitch glitching... whatever you want to call it...

I'm using a Apple wireless mighty mouse and keyboard...

anybody have a quick fix for this?? its getting very obnoxious!

other than these two issues... im very proud of my build

;)

thanks!

changing resolutions has some problems as the screen turns blue and i have to reboot and it then shows the selected resolution

I have the same card (well, before they changed the name). Try plugging your monitor into the other port --It sounds weird, but it worked for me.

I'm having some problems with the Audio...

in the system profiler its coming up as...

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

Available Devices:

I have a GA-EX58-UD3R mobo...

so that is the Realtek ALC888

VoodooHDA.kext should work for you (but only for stereo). You probably need to install it directly in /System/Library/Extensions for it to work (not the extra folder provided by the script). You can do this using kext helper. You should also remove the old audio kexts. For that, you'll need to remove the kext files from the audio folder in DD's script package. Then, run the script again, and select option 5 to install the kexts (This will reinstall all of your kexts to /extra minus the old audio kexts). Restart, and you should be good to go.

another problem i'm having is with mouse and keyboard lag glitch glitching... whatever you want to call it...

I'm using a Apple wireless mighty mouse and keyboard...

anybody have a quick fix for this?? its getting very obnoxious!

I don't think this is a hackintosh issue. Most wireless mice/keyboards (mice, especially) exhibit some degree of input lag, which is usually only noticeable when playing games. If your lag is pausing/hitching, it's probably a weak/bad battery. In any case, I don't think it's hackintosh related. Look on real Mac forums.

I have the same card (well, before they changed the name). Try plugging your monitor into the other port --It sounds weird, but it worked for me.

VoodooHDA.kext should work for you (but only for stereo). You probably need to install it directly in /System/Library/Extensions for it to work (not the extra folder provided by the script). You can do this using kext helper. You should also remove the old audio kexts. For that, you'll need to remove the kext files from the audio folder in DD's script package. Then, run the script again, and select option 5 to install the kexts (This will reinstall all of your kexts to /extra minus the old audio kexts). Restart, and you should be good to go.

I don't think this is a hackintosh issue. Most wireless mice/keyboards (mice, especially) exhibit some degree of input lag, which is usually only noticeable when playing games. If your lag is pausing/hitching, it's probably a weak/bad battery. In any case, I don't think it's hackintosh related. Look on real Mac forums.

The Audio suggestion was perfect! thanks! I have no need for crazy 5.1 sound or 4 outs and 2 ins... so that voodoohda worked perfect! kudos!!

As for the lagging mouse and keyboard... it does it sporadically which is weird.. and when the keyboard does it... it either omits keys or it inputs one of the keys i pressed multiple times... :/ wierd stuff.

Could it be my bluetooth usb adapter?

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.6f8

Hardware Settings:

Aaron Fischer’s Mac Pro:

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio

Firmware Version: 1958

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Yes

HCI Version: 3 ($3)

HCI Revision: 1958 ($7a6)

LMP Version: 3 ($3)

LMP Subversion: 1958 ($7a6)

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 3670276 ($380104)

Device Class (Major): 1 ($1)

Device Class (Minor): 1 ($1)

Service Class: 448 ($1c0)

Requires Authentication: No

Services:

Bluetooth File Transfer:

Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public

Requires Authentication: Yes

State: Enabled

Bluetooth File Exchange:

Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads

Requires Authentication: No

When other items are accepted: Ask

When PIM items are accepted: Ask

When receiving items: Prompt for each file

State: Enabled

Devices (Paired, Favorites, etc):

One last interesting thing i know a few other people have come across... in the "about this mac" it reads as 3.2gHz when it should be... 2.66gHz am i right?

also when I ran geekbench...

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (Build 9J61)

Model: MacPro4,1

Motherboard: Apple Computer, Inc. Mac-F4208DC8 x.x

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Processor ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5

Logical Processors: 8

Physical Processors: 0

Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz

processor frequency...? meaning it is actually running at 3.2 or actually running at 2.66?

how did some other similar system match up?

geekbench score: 9380

I ordered everything for my i7 hackintosh but I still have to wait for my case. In the meantime, I attempted to setup my HD (a 1 TB WD Caviar Black - made a 10.5.7 retail setup and also cloned my existing OS with Carbon Copy Cloner). I was hoping to setup the boot drive using my PowerMac G5 and DD's script bot no joy.

I had no problem using DD's script on my PowerMac G5. I had to select partitions and do one full one to choose GUID partition map since the non-intel computer defaults to APM before using CCC to clone across the necessary system files.

This was about 2 months ago so the script version was slightly older but I don't think it should make a difference.

The Audio suggestion was perfect! thanks! I have no need for crazy 5.1 sound or 4 outs and 2 ins... so that voodoohda worked perfect! kudos!!
No probs.

As for the lagging mouse and keyboard... it does it sporadically which is weird.. and when the keyboard does it... it either omits keys or it inputs one of the keys i pressed multiple times... :/ wierd stuff.

Could it be my bluetooth usb adapter?

It could be. I used to have this PS/2 to USB adapter that would behave like that. If you bought your mouse+keyboard new, then I would blame the adapter.

One last interesting thing i know a few other people have come across... in the "about this mac" it reads as 3.2gHz when it should be... 2.66gHz am i right?
Yeah, that's right. "About This Mac" miscalculates the speed. The issue is purely cosmetic, and has no bearing on the actual speed. If you're the OCD type, there's an option in DD's script for pasting the correct information directly into loginwindow.app. It doesn't really solve the problem, as it's just reporting what you tell it to, but whatever.

also when I ran geekbench...

how did some other similar system match up?

geekbench score: 9380

Sounds about right. I think I had about 12-something, but that was with a hefty overclock.

I had no problem using DD's script on my PowerMac G5. I had to select partitions and do one full one to choose GUID partition map since the non-intel computer defaults to APM before using CCC to clone across the necessary system files.

This was about 2 months ago so the script version was slightly older but I don't think it should make a difference.

Just in case, I removed Fink's directories from my path (didn't want any interference from /sw/bin or /sw/sbin). I also tried the intall on my second 1TB drive. Here is exactly what I did:

1. Format the drive GUID Partition Table (1 large partition)

2. Open DD's script, select the drive (disk name osX86 - disk1s2)

3. Select EFI partition

4. Run step 2 and select Chameleon_v2_RC1 (install successful)

5. Run step 3 to make partition active

6. Run step 5 to install kext -- and this is where I get the error: "Chameleon bootloader does not appear to have been installed - there is no /Extra directory on osX86

If in #3 above I select the first option (Main system partition), I am not getting any errors and I can go through step 5 without any problems. This, however, installs everything on the same partition where my vanilla/retail stuff will go.

I understood that installing the bootloader on the EFI partition was ideal because it would be hidden from the retail Mac OS X install. I liked the idea of having a certain separation between the hackintosh stuff and the vanilla stuff. I also understood that the /Extra folder would go into the EFI partition as well for an EFI boot setup.

Am I missing anything here?

If using the EFI partition for the bootloader is no longer the preferred method, can I achieve a similar degree of separation between the hacks and the retail by creating 2 partitions on my drive (the first one being a small boot partition and the other being the partition for my retail Mac OS X)?

Colddiver