[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Thanks DD for your script! Awesome!

Anyway, I spotted a little "bug" in your script.

The "10" (Modify processor info) option only change the name for the English.lproj settings.

If your mac is not using set up to be in English the change have no effect.

<snip>

By the way DD-script has a little error (or it is due to BASH limited buffer!?!? ) using too long EFI-Hex String.

<snip>

Yeah, I need to get rid of that portion and revamp it with a text file that can be imported. Bash will only input up to 1022 characters.

Thanks DD for your script! Awesome!

Anyway, I spotted a little "bug" in your script.

The "10" (Modify processor info) option only change the name for the English.lproj settings.

If your mac is not using set up to be in English the change have no effect.

Correct.

I just posted about this issue one page back.

It's already fixed, but not uploaded yet.

regards,

MAJ

I searched the topic in case this had been asked already. But should this work with the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R as well?

Thanks!!!

The UD3R will work, except for the audio... it doesnt use the 889a codec like the UD5 boards, it uses 888, so you'll need other kexts for it.. (D_D used to include them in the old scripts).. other than that, its pretty much the same

Hi,

thanks for the nice work you done.

After updating 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 VMware Fusion and Parallel Desktop is crashing the system by its kernel extensions.

I have a iDeneb install and the old chamelon boot loader, x58-UD4, x58 mobo combo patch installed from above.

Thanks for any hint and greets from Ibiza

Hi,

thanks for the nice work you done.

After updating 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 VMware Fusion and Parallel Desktop is crashing the system by its kernel extensions.

I have a iDeneb install and the old chamelon boot loader, x58-UD4, x58 mobo combo patch installed from above.

Thanks for any hint and greets from Ibiza

Same as mine

some sudden KP and my 4 partitions on Windows 7(bootcamp) on VMvare fusion are not read, only C: partition of course vmware read regularly

this weekend i try to come back on 10.5.6

Iktus

Ps if I want to have Camaleon v2, I have to use the vanilla 9.7 kernel?

ppsthere are no problems with the new script 3.8 and 10.5.6?i can use it?

tnx

Your list is quite similar to what I got. I have a Corsair 850TX 850W Power Supply and I'm not sure how different it is to the 750 but I suspect it's the cause of a kind of scratchy sound problem I have. It's not much of a problem cause I'm running an overclocked system but when I run with factory settings (normal voltage and not overclocked) I get scratchy sound on my speakers that are plugged into my computer through line out to amplifiers. Works fine when overclocked.

The only other thing I'd recommend paying careful attention to in your purchase is your cooler. I went with a Scythe Mugen 2 based on reviews at xbitlabs.com. My machine run's very quiet and the processors can be kept very cool.

Thanks for the info. Nice reviews at xbitlabs.com. I reviewed my setup and just ordered everything. Now the long wait for delivery begins! Revised setup will be:

• Lian-Li PC-V1010B Case

• Corsair 750HX Power Supply

• Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard

• Core i7 920 CPU

• Scythe Mugen 2 Cooler

• Corsair XSM3 1600 RAM (6 x 2 GB)

• EVGA 285GTX

• 2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB

• Lite-On iHES206-08 Blu-Ray reader/DVD writer

I have 3 older HD that I will most likely recycle in this machine as well. This should give me some space to play with Windows and one of the Mac OS X distros (downloaded the iATKOS v7 and iDeneb 10.5.5).

This was a little more expensive that I was shooting for initially but it should keep me going for some time. Hopefully, next time I post to this forum, it will be from this new rig...

One last question. Concerning the overclocking, are you guys using the Gigabyte EasyTune6 tool or are you doing everything manually?

Colddiver

I just installed quite successfully with a GTX 295 (Quartz Extreme and QuartzGL enabled)

my specs:

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

- 6 GB RAM

- 2 WD HD (SATA) in RAID (Windows Vista and Windows XP in there)

- 2 old IDE HD (Kalyway as repair Mac OS and iDeneb as main Mac OS)

- GTX 295 (Zotac)

- Buffalo USB WLAN

some things I had to do in order to get the system running:

- I had to take away the Network kexts from DD's script in order to get the USB WLAN adapter recognized (otherwise the Ralink drivers wouldn't work)

- I had to take away the Graphics kexts from DD's script, install EVGA GTX285 drivers and add EFI string to boot.plist in order to get GTX295 working (I followed the instructions in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1178921 to generate the EFI string, and notice that I used 896MB as memory size)

cosmetic issues that are still hanging:

- when checking the system profiler in "Hardware" area I get: "There was an error while gathering this information.", not sure why this is happening, actually cpu-x can see the details of the CPU fine

- I would love to have Mac OS in the RAID together with Windows installations (not the end of the world, but my old IDE drives are not speed light fast...)

Hi! I have the motherboard Gigabyte X58-UD5 and I have a problem. When the system is going to load, the PC reboots... when Darwin86 appears.

I had tried with -v, normal, with the BIOS' options just the photo in the first page. I tried with Iatkos version 7 and Leopard 10.5.4 and the CPU still rebooting too. I thought the problem was the writer (LG and ASUS).

I have the last BIOS version (F7).

I don't know what's the problem. Thank you very much!!

hi all :wacko:

i have this install running and its working great

but i need help for instaling it on my stripped raid. The patch doesn't recognize my raid and i cant use it. is there a way to do this manually?

or any other way to do this. I had a working raid on my p-35-ds3l. thanks :)

I have Stripped RAID working on the White GSATA2 ports. You can refer to one of my prior posts in this thread to see how to get it working. I couldn't get it working with other ports or through disk utility. Also I can't get my computer to enter sleep while my RAID hard drives are attached.

I just bought another monitor and I thought everything would be fine for dual screen but now I see it's something that people have alot of trouble to get working. Does anyone know how I can get dual monitors working on my HIS 4890?

@digital_dreamer,

I just wanted to say thanks for the script. I've successfully used it (with different kexts) to get an MSI X58M build up and running. I'll probably put a guide together specifically for the MSI X58M after I go through my notes and do it again on the 2nd build I have on order.

The only major issue I had with the script was with getting all 4 cores of the i7 920 up and running. The DSDT created has the 'Alias' lines in the Processor section which I needed to manually remove, and then rerun the DSDT Patcher. I suppose this may not be a problem with your script and may just be a problem with the DSDT Patcher. The DSDT Patcher Readme file seems to suggest that the 'CPU Aliases' issue has been fixed but that doesn't appear to be the case, at least for the MSI X58M board. Any ideas as to why the 'CPU Aliases' is still a problem?

Again, thanks for a great guide and script!

@digital_dreamer,

I just wanted to say thanks for the script. I've successfully used it (with different kexts) to get an MSI X58M build up and running. I'll probably put a guide together specifically for the MSI X58M after I go through my notes and do it again on the 2nd build I have on order.

The only major issue I had with the script was with getting all 4 cores of the i7 920 up and running. The DSDT created has the 'Alias' lines in the Processor section which I needed to manually remove, and then rerun the DSDT Patcher. I suppose this may not be a problem with your script and may just be a problem with the DSDT Patcher. The DSDT Patcher Readme file seems to suggest that the 'CPU Aliases' issue has been fixed but that doesn't appear to be the case, at least for the MSI X58M board. Any ideas as to why the 'CPU Aliases' is still a problem?

Again, thanks for a great guide and script!

Thanks for your comments, cutterpillow.

I'd like to work on that Alias issue. This is an inherent problem of the DSDT patcher that my script tries to fix. Got it fixed for the ASUS boards, but it appears the MSI boards are a different animal.

Would you be able to post the DSDToutput.log from my script and your working dsdt.dsl file from the DSDT_Patcher/Debug folder?

Thanks!

regards,

MAJ

Thank you so much DD! This is the best guide I found.

I have read through most of this guide and many others, I just had one quick question-I hope you haven't re asked it for the 10th time!

I have a pretty standard rig and I was going to install OSX from my macbook using USB/SATA connector. Once back in my rig, does it matter what drive is the slave and which one is the master. I was going to have vista on the "master" (for gaming) and OSX installed on the "slave" (for general awesomeness) I think this will work from what I have read before.

Thanks,

BF

Thank you so much DD! This is the best guide I found.

I have read through most of this guide and many others, I just had one quick question-I hope you haven't re asked it for the 10th time!

I have a pretty standard rig and I was going to install OSX from my macbook using USB/SATA connector. Once back in my rig, does it matter what drive is the slave and which one is the master. I was going to have vista on the "master" (for gaming) and OSX installed on the "slave" (for general awesomeness) I think this will work from what I have read before.

Thanks,

BF

Master/Slave arrangement is basically moot with the SATA technology. Yeah, the BIOS may still refers to this arrangement for legacy reasons and to act like a IDE controller, as some drivers or OSs may have issues if this info is not available. But, there can only be one drive per port on SATA, so master/slave is meaningless.

I know it used to matter back in the day with IDE or ATA (No insults intended to those still using it! My dual G4 system was/is all IDE, of course.)

What matters now is enabling AHCI and whether you are using the Intel ICH10 ports (green/blue) or the Gigabyte/JMicron ports (white).

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for your comments, cutterpillow.

I'd like to work on that Alias issue. This is an inherent problem of the DSDT patcher that my script tries to fix. Got it fixed for the ASUS boards, but it appears the MSI boards are a different animal.

Would you be able to post the DSDToutput.log from my script and your working dsdt.dsl file from the DSDT_Patcher/Debug folder?

OK so I tried to reproduce this and wasn't able to do so. I didn't save my original (bad) DSDT.dsl file and now when I run the script and choose the option to run the DSDT Patcher the DSDT.dsl file that it creates looks good and doesn't have any of the 'Alias' stuff in the Processor section.

I didn't think of it at the time but I wonder if it was because the first time I ran the Patcher (when I was still trying to get the install up and running) I was booting with 'cpus=1' and I may not have had a good DSDT file (maybe I didn't even have one). I did the initial install from another Mac running the Leopard DVD installer and set up everything but the DSDT (which of course I couldn't do because the hardware in the Mac is different from the MSI X58M machine). The first thing I did after I got the MSI X58M booting was run the DSDT Patcher. Perhaps booting with 'cpus=1' caused the problem? Or perhaps not having a DSDT file in /Extra? Or having a bad DSDT file in /Extra to start with?

Anyway, I'll give it a try again tomorrow.

Same as mine

some sudden KP and my 4 partitions on Windows 7(bootcamp) on VMvare fusion are not read, only C: partition of course vmware read regularly

Iktus

tnx

Hi, I am not that familiar with the boot loader stuff but I think it doesn't matter what is being used. However, I tried different bios settings for the cpu tweaks(1core only,etc...), also I updated VMWare fusion today to 2.05 or so, but no success there. In the original post, Digital dreamer says Vodoo Kernel 9.7 alpha for 10.5.6 but its a thread about 10.5.7 I thought. I am not sure that could be a problem. Unfortunately, I need 10.5.7. for IPhone development, damn.

I will proceed with tweaking and give you a note then I get it running.

best,g.

Same as mine

Iktus

tnx

yippiie ! i got it runnging you have to install the 9.7 voodoo kernel from the mobo patch install, better you do it with osxTools ! The voodoo alpha 2 doesnt work ! you can check your install with : uname -a

I finally installed dd 3.8 on my secondary SSD boot drive. The description of 3.8 in post 1 does not say it includes the June 8 netkas. Point being, the result was that the 9600GT sees both monitors, but no QE. One other odd thing was that it showed my CPU at 3.2Ghz.

So then I downloaded and ran June 8 netkas, installed onto that same boot drive. No change, no QE. I actually did get QE out of the June 8 netkas a few weeks ago, on this same drive that has now been erased and reinstalled for the current experiment. Anyone got any ideas?

I finally installed dd 3.8 on my secondary SSD boot drive. The description of 3.8 in post 1 does not say it includes the June 8 netkas. Point being, the result was that the 9600GT sees both monitors, but no QE. One other odd thing was that it showed my CPU at 3.2Ghz.

So then I downloaded and ran June 8 netkas, installed onto that same boot drive. No change, no QE. I actually did get QE out of the June 8 netkas a few weeks ago, on this same drive that has now been erased and reinstalled for the current experiment. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried reinstalling the drive but without installing the universal injector with the script?

I finally updated to 10.5.7 and the latest dreamer script. After some roadbumps with permissions i believe and graphics kexts - i'm back up. Usb problems are gone... but wake from sleep is still funky - will try the optional kexts for that.

The main reason i'm writing is that the new netkas injector didnt work well for my 9800 gtx+.

I was unable to get quartz extreme or core image with netkas.

I went back to my previous graphics string from aquaman and all is well.

So for those with a 8800/9800 graphics card doing the update... if your experience is like mine then you may want to try graphics strings and skip the netkas universal.

so have we determined that all 8800/9800 regardless of X or not (9800 GT vs 9800 GTX) will not work with the injector provided? is it fullproof to use the string instead?

also, I know you put the string in the plist file... does it matter where exactly this is placed? between certain lines? or just at the very end?

so have we determined that all 8800/9800 regardless of X or not (9800 GT vs 9800 GTX) will not work with the injector provided? is it fullproof to use the string instead?

also, I know you put the string in the plist file... does it matter where exactly this is placed? between certain lines? or just at the very end?

1) Yes the injector is not for this kind of card.

2) It doesn't matter where it is placed.

You can use dd script to create the entry for you. Copy the first chars of the string (because bash/shell is limited) then edit on your own the file and put the entire string in it.

I've totally owned myself. I tried installing ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pcie Series 10.5.6 - 10.5.x.pkg to get it working to allow a dual monitor setup but it stripped me of all but 1 resolution and removed my QE_CI. The card showed up in my system profiler but wouldn't display anything. If I set it to my primary card in the bios when Mac OS was finishing booting everything would freeze up and the fans went to max speed.

So I thought I'd try getting my resolution back by running the QE_CI_For_Exotic_Cards.pkg but after running that and restarting I got lots of coloured dots on my screen and couldn't see a thing.

I managed to boot in safe mode and delete some stuff and reinstall some stuff but I'm now back to being able to boot normally but stuck with 1 resolution and no QE_CI.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW I probably won't be posting for a while cause I'll be away from my computers and the net for the next few days.

I'm looking for some help to get my first hackintosh up and running.

I have a iMac that I used to install 10.5.5 onto an external drive. I have updated that install using combo updater to 10.5.7. I've run off that external drive for a while now and everything works great (connected to the iMac).

I would like to now install that drive into my GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P based box. What do I need to do to get this drive to boot on that motherboard?

Here are the rest of the specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz

Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3 6 GB 3 X 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3

eVGA e-GeForce 9800GTX+ Superclocked