[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

It sounds like you are planning to do so some real work on this machine. IMHO it may be truly worth the negligible cost of picking up a video card supported by 10.5.7. Unless you are looking for a challenge, or have absolutely $0 to spend, messing with the non-native cards is not worth the hassle.

As for the raid, I highly recommend using your raid as a media drive only. Use your single drive to store your OS and your project files... back it up regularly. Believe it or not, your system will run faster when working with media this way than it will when using the RAID as your system drive. Furthermore, striping two disks into a RAID 0 doubles your chances of heartbreaking, catastrophic failure. TRUST ME on this one. I have lived it way too many times. While you can generally recapture your media should such a catastrophe occur, you cannot regain the hours and upon hours of work you put into the project files. I live by this rule: NEVER EVER keep project files on a non-redundant RAID.

It sounds like you are planning to do so some real work on this machine. IMHO it may be truly worth the negligible cost of picking up a video card supported by 10.5.7. Unless you are looking for a challenge, or have absolutely $0 to spend, messing with the non-native cards is not worth the hassle.

As for the raid, I highly recommend using your raid as a media drive only. Use your single drive to store your OS and your project files... back it up regularly. Believe it or not, your system will run faster when working with media this way than it will when using the RAID as your system drive. Furthermore, striping two disks into a RAID 0 doubles your chances of heartbreaking, catastrophic failure. TRUST ME on this one. I have lived it way too many times. While you can generally recapture your media should such a catastrophe occur, you cannot regain the hours and upon hours of work you put into the project files. I live by this rule: NEVER EVER keep project files on a non-redundant RAID.

ever since i can remember, i was more eager for the disk transfer speeds, than paranoid about data safety. thats why i chose to go the striping way, not mirroring. mirroring is a waste of disk to me :( i havent experienced a hdd-crash in years. and stripe+mirror = 4 disks, which i always considered an unnecessary overkill :D

and yeah, i was thinking i oculd keep system on non-raid and data (or applications, too) on raid. but in these times of pci-e bandwidths and sata II raids, i dont think its such a bad idea to have OS on raid :) well, ill switch to solid-state raid as soon as the prices become less ridiculous, anyway :P

and as for the 10.5.7 supported gfx, is there any list of those, that i could check out? i wouldnt mind upgrading of that front. i just wasnt aware that there was something like "10.5.7 officially suported gfx cards" or anything like that. i just thought that this problem arises from the very concept of running mac os x on non-apple hw.

Hey MAJ,

I'll be happy to help Beta test this, out of interest are you still getting the CMOS reset when restarting/shuting down in SL?

That's fixed.

In addition to changing the RTC length variable from 0x04 to 0x02, the script also removes the "IRQNoFlags" lines, if present, to eliminate the related KPs on some boards. It's nice not having to do double boots. Two boots, because the first one is to select the saved BIOS profile, and the second to remove the false "Overclocking warning" that keeps the BIOS from really accepting all your settings. Grrrr.

Got a few more touches I need to do and I'll release it for beta testing.

Did anyone notice that a x86_64 version of the RealtekR1000 kext was released? We'll getting there.

best regards,

MAJ

I have a Sapphire ATI 4870 in my box and it works beautifully with only the deffault patches that come with DD's installer.

Other Leopard supported cards are the ATI 3870, HD2600 (I think) and the NVIDIA 8800gt. You can do a search for what cards Apple has been putting in their boxes the last few years for a better list.

Would having my hackintosh set as a macbook pro affect the way my computer displays on a TV? I can't seem to get it to fit properly on my tv, the top menu bar doesn't show.

There used to be overscan in 10.5.5, then it went away after that. Anyone know of a good way to fix this display issue?

I am having the same reboot issue when trying to instal. Can someone spell out step by step how to "Set Flags" with the busratio=20, -v

Thanks

I'm not sure what half of those boot flags are...

But I know you need busratio=20 in the boot flags.

A good start would (rather than putting all those flags in there) is to use:

busratio=20, -v

Then you should at least be able to see where it's hanging up.

Cheers.

WOOT! i finally made it!

i didn't like the "netkas.org" bios revision i kept seeing in system profiler. i mean what i didn't like was the fact, that whatever i was trying to rape my gfx drivers to do, the gfx page in profiler just never changed. netkas.org doesn't sound like any vanilla apple component, so i figured it must be a part of dd's patches. it took me a while to figure out how to get rid of it, and now my profiler shows something else! QE / rotation / QGL all supported, CI hw accelerated, now im "kchappy"! :P

note to self: milk bar at the top of the screen went transparent: that's how i will recognize hw gfx acceleration immediately, without launchng system profiler. saves me some clicks :)

How did you remove it?

i think i just deleted the ATY_init.kext from /Extras folder, ran the RUN-PATCHER script, used option #6 to view/update boot cache, rebooted and that was it. after reboot i got the fully accelerated gfx that reports itself as nvinject 0.2.1 or something like that. but that was because i have tried all sorts of {censored} before, installing drivers, messing with EFI strings...

having it "all figured out", i decided to do a fresh clean install of mac os x. immedaitely after that, i removed the rogue kext, after reboot i was in "safe-mode"-like 1024x768, some VESA mode or something, i guess. obviously no driver was in to take the place. so i installed nvinstaller v52 or whatever its called and that was all i needed to get the hw acceleration.

all that was really needed here, was for me to revise and pay more attention to the way dd's patcher works with the boot cache. coz previously i sort-of overlooked it and pretty much just replicated the steps in the guide, without much thinking, monkey-style.

having made this "progress", :) i tried to sort out my RAID the same way, using my recently acquired "know-how" :P. booted to the osx installation on my external disk, installed the 3ware RAID controller driver. once able to access my raid disks, i re-partitioned one of them and installed os x on it using dd's patcher. of course this wouldn't boot from the raid disk jsut like that, so i took the driver kext from the 3ware driver package, copied it into /extras (or possibly /stored_kexts, i dont remember now which one worked) did some hogo-pogo-mumbo-jumbo with dd's patcher to update the boot cache, rebooted with the ext. disk switched off and...

i now have working installation on the striped raid array that boots and works like a bloody charm! :)

DD: Please add a link to the wiki. They've compiled information over the past hundred pages and made your instructions more clear.

How up to date is the wiki? Is it being updated along with this thread? If so, that's an excellent resource and I agree about linking it (especially since it lists some common issues). Just reading the beginning of that page though, it refers to version 3.7 of the script. We're on 3.91 now, no?

Anyone experiencing high CPU temps?

At idle I am running at 80 celcius....

This hasnt ever been a problem until recently. I am having all sorts of problems pop up and go away randomly... starting to get really frustrating. Going to get a Noctua U12P cpu cooler today to see if that does the job.

Im not overclocked or anything either, so I am very confused to why I am running so hot.

Finally, my second hard drive has arrived! So close to installing OSX!...

But since my IDE DVD burner causes my computer to lock up when used with my SATA HDDs, I can't install an OSX distro to run DD's script. Are there any OSX distros capable of installing from a USB flash drive? I can't get Kalyway or iAtkos to install using my USB.

Finally, my second hard drive has arrived! So close to installing OSX!...

But since my IDE DVD burner causes my computer to lock up when used with my SATA HDDs, I can't install an OSX distro to run DD's script. Are there any OSX distros capable of installing from a USB flash drive? I can't get Kalyway or iAtkos to install using my USB.

Make a dmg of the install dvd and use that.

MAJ and others,

I've had a rock solid system for months but recently I've noticed a strange sleep issue (always worked 100%).

I've started to see a random system shutdown when selecting sleep. This seems to occur approx 1 in 10 times I select sleep. The machine goes through the motions of sleeping but actually just cuts out.

As I mentioned earlier sleep has always been 100% reliable on this machine and nothing has changed hardware, hibernate mode etc.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Any ideas?

thanks

Dear community

Thanks to this forum I was able to complete my first Vanilla install of OSX. Since I am a little chicken with computers (and also due to bad experience), I did my first Vanilla test install also on my

external USB HD. And guess what, it worked perfectly!!!

All hardware is now working as expected, even sleep mode and wake up.

Big thanks to DD for this great script!! You should be getting some provisions also from Gigabyte. This great thread here is the reason I bought this MB. Also since 10.5.7 finally supported the core i7 natively I figured it was time to pull the trigger.

Since I am working from my slow external USB HD, performance is not yet top notch so I can't wait to get the final installation completed. :)

The only odd thing is:

The processor speed is shown as 3.6 GHz, although it's not overclocked and running at normal speed (i7 920). The RAM is correctly recognized as DDR3 (tripple channel) but here es well, the speed is to high. Im pretty sure though that this will not affect stability and perfomance in any way.

Any comments to that 3.6 instead of 2.7 GHz situation?

The final step will now be to do the Vanilla install on my internal HD.

I have currently the following partitions on my drive (MBR Layout):

0: Windows Vista x64, NTFS (50 Gb)

1: Data Partition, NTFS (150 Gb)

2: Unused Space (100 Gb)

At the moment, the internal disk is MBR and not GUID. Are there any advantages of GUID over MBR? I could not find any good comparison.

If I change to MBR, I will have to make an image of my Vista installation, format my internal drive accoring GUID and then restore the Vista x64 installation.

What is the recommended partition scheme for dual boot in my situation? (i have not planned to have any EFI partition since this script does not currently support that yet)

That is I hope the final question, then I can bring it home :D

Cheers, Mike

PS: What to you guys use to do a complete partition backup (image) of your OSX installations?

PPS: Hey that was still another question :D

Update:

I just found this somewhere:

MBR also has the advantage of reducing free space waste by eliminating the (rather useless) EFI partitions that are inherent to GUID schemes.

See also : dellefi.mechdrew.com/guide/advanced3.shtml

You need to use the script to edit smbios.plist.

For stock speed I think its SMmaximalclock 2600 and to add your correct memory speed change the SMmemspeed key.

Thanks for pointing that out. Since I originally installed a distro and it was dispayed correctly there, I was assuming that this info was detected correctly automatically.

Mike