[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Drive activation only affects the drive itself and sets a flag telling the BIOS which drive to boot. None of this info will affect real Macs that don't boot from the BIOS, AFAIK.

Currently, you can just skip this step. Most motherboards, including Gigabyte series, will boot fine without this file. This may not always be the case in the future, so we'll have to keep an eye on this progress. ASUS boards have issues and require changing BIOS settings for boot, then changing it back when the file is installed.

Best of wishes,

MAJ

Great! Thanks for the quick response! :-)

cyremex

Just a note for those that have their system set up with other languages besides English:

I have successfully implemented a change to the script's handling of the "About This Mac" processor info.

It can check your Preferred languages, as indicated in System Preferences/International/Language, and, starting at the top, look for the proper SystemInfo.strings file for that language and set your processor info for that language. This is why some of you are not currently able to change your processor info using my script, because it always modifies the English version. Yeah, I'm pretty shortsighted. :D

So, now, the script will find the language, check to see if the processor info is "Unknown" in that particular language, and if so, change the info based on the hardware gathered data, just like the English version. You can still input your own info, if you wish.

Note that, although there are over 130 languages available to install, there are only 18 languages that come with the corresponding SystemInfo.strings files, AFAIK. If you are using a language that does not include a appropriate SystemInfo.strings file to modify, the script will skip to the next preferred language on the list until it finds one.

The default languages that contain a valid file to modify are:

English

Japanese

French

German

Spanish

Italian

Brazilian Portuguese

European Portuguese

Dutch

Swedish

Norwegian

Danish

Finnish

Russian

Polish

Traditional Chinese

Simplified Chinese

Korean

Unless I get a huge demand, I'm not uploading this update until I finish the Boot from EFI script project.

kind regards,

MAJ

Have been trying to get vanilla 10.5.7 booting on GA-EX58-DS4 (+i920+9600GT). Failed.

This mobo is said to be compatible with the UD5 (apparently minor differences and there are post w supporting testimonials of users).

Tried a lot of combinations of methods and kexts, but the best result is always that booting stops -- not dies just stops. The boot messages screen can echo my keystrokes for another 20 minutes then dies. The phenomenon best resembles the cases when system is waiting for something on the network. In other x58 post i read advises to wait 5-10 minutes for the system to step further, but is does not happen in my case.

Booting stops after getting tru sata, fw and the nic extensions get alive, it stops within messages regarding problems with mdnsresponder or ifconfig, around the point when ocsp daemon says it was starting. There are errors and warnings but all said to be normal problems, not causing boot failure.

Any idea?

First of all i tried the method of booting off efi partition installed by chameleon 2rc1. The minimal working setting seems to be: Disabler.kext, dsmos.kext, NVinject.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext and com.apple.Boot.plist. Dstd is not possible to produce, since the target box could never boot. On efi i have tried many combinations of kexts, the results say to me that problem is not with sata, cd or video (even changed the gfx card for a while). (Yes permissions were always set properly). Network interface is suspicious anyway, but with the dd's patched io...kext the proper driver is found correctly. I tried the full collection of kexts from DD's guide, it made no difference. Then i chameleoned and installed extras to the system partition with the dd's installer (opt 5+6), booted off that partition - but it does not change the picture. Meanwhile tried the wolfienuke's method, had to reconstruct it from its logs, since it seams to work faulty - but the result is the same even this way: stopping. The other way, the Voodoo2 alpha kernel - it panics.

The results are similar with too osx installations, my test oriented usb disk w 10.5.7 and chameleon on efi produces similar symptoms (network-like stopping, it appears at slightly different point).

Switching off elements in bios has no general effect on the problem. Even disabling the lan hasnt. Tried to downgrade to one core and no-ht, but that does not help either.

Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz

GigaByte GA-EX58-DS4

3x 2 GB DDR3 Ram 1333 MHz Kingston

GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCIe

sata disk and dvd (or usb-hdd)

I have a 1TB drive and haven't experienced any issues with it.

Makes me wonder if there's a size limitation in the bootloaders, which I strongly doubt.

Which SATA port and controller is this drive connected to, again?

MAJ

I've only tried with all drives attached to the blue ports (which, according to the motherboard manual, are controlled by the southbridge chip ICH10R, ports 0-5). I put the optical/hdd/hdd connectors right in a row on the ports closest to the motherboard: ports 0/2/4. The optical drive is on top, port 0 (is this ok?). I've tried the hard drive on the following:

1. At first I had the working (iDeneb) drive on port 4 and the non-working (retail) drive on port 2.
  2. When retail wouldn't boot, I tried putting it on port 0 and adjusted Hard Disk Boot Priority accordingly.
  3. When that didn't boot either, I tried putting it on port 4 (where my working drive had been) and again switched Hard Disk Boot Priority.

Each resulted in boot0: error. So I appear to have one drive that can boot (iDeneb) regardless of port, and one drive that gets boot0: error on boot (with either iDeneb or retail), regardless of port. That's why it seems to me one drive is funky, unless I've missed something.

Both drives are GUID formatted, not case-sensitive; I've triple checked.

Is it possible that the BIOS only likes the drive I first booted from (the iDeneb drive)? Perhaps the other drive isn't being successfully activated (despite the script's best efforts), so that when I try booting from that other drive, the BIOS pukes when boot priority is set to something other than its (apparently) favorite drive?

Or perhaps I shouldn't be adjusting the Hard Disk Boot Priority? (But that's required isn't it? Because if I leave it as-is after doing a retail install, then on boot it never even looks at the retail drive, it only sees the iDeneb drive that I boot from to do the retail installation).

I really appreciate your help so far; I'm confident I can get it working as so many others have with almost identical hardware, it's just a process to work out the kinks.

Nabz:

If one drive cannot boot OS X or your distro OS successfully, and another can boot the distro, then I would expect a problem with the first drive. Can you borrow a third HD to test, either load the distro or OS X? If you can and that drive also fails then we can't rule out the first drive having a problem. However, if the third drive is successful in your boot attempts, then we have to conclude the first drive has a problem.

Nabz:

If one drive cannot boot OS X or your distro OS successfully, and another can boot the distro, then I would expect a problem with the first drive. Can you borrow a third HD to test, either load the distro or OS X? If you can and that drive also fails then we can't rule out the first drive having a problem. However, if the third drive is successful in your boot attempts, then we have to conclude the first drive has a problem.

Success!

I went and bought another drive just to test (this time a 300GB Velociraptor), and I first tested iDeneb. Amazingly, that worked, so I erased, and proceeded to do a retail install. Well I'll be damned, it worked!

So all this time my problem was a bum drive. I suppose my log helped DD to identify and fix a permissions bug in the script, but otherwise, sorry to be a bother! And thanks to DD (et al) for all the help!

It feels so good to make progress for a change! Now to go about fine tuning, getting video acceleration going etc.

Until next time! :(

Drive activation only affects the drive itself and sets a flag telling the BIOS which drive to boot. None of this info will affect real Macs that don't boot from the BIOS, AFAIK.

Currently, you can just skip this step. Most motherboards, including Gigabyte series, will boot fine without this file. This may not always be the case in the future, so we'll have to keep an eye on this progress. ASUS boards have issues and require changing BIOS settings for boot, then changing it back when the file is installed.

Best of wishes,

MAJ

I think I am in cyremex's shoes as well...

I have a MacBook Pro and am about to order all the parts for the build and am just making sure im not in over my head yet. but after reading... atleast 50 pages or so... off and on skipping around throughout this thread... I am still a bit confused...

So I bought my hardware hooked it all up, plugged it in, turned it on...

am ready to install Mac OS X on a PC

BUT... the easiest way to do all of this is via the MacBook Pro... am i correct in assuming this?

question a) So when i buy all of my parts, I'll want to include a USB to SATA wire (to hook the new HD to my current macbook pro) in this purchase? (because this is the easiest way to format everything is by using the computer already formated with OSX?)

question :P I use the Macbook Pro to run the script and install the .iso of the retail 10.5.6 (all of this through the USB to the new HD) and follow the rest of the instructions that you provided... then you reboot your computer (macbook pro in my case?) and then reopen the script to continue with the rest of the script? or does the rest of the script need to be continued when it is placed into the new computer and hooked back using the SATA into the motherboard?

I'm a bit confused at which point you put the new HD into the new computer and attach it to the motherboard via SATA...?

After reading post upon post... This was probably my biggest confusion... as in the past 10 minutes everything is beginning to finally click!

fischer:

Since you are in the process of buying parts for your build, why not get a second HD, and one of the OS distros (XxX or iPC work well) and perform DDs install 'per the book'. Having a workable install in addition to your primary is really helpful as you fine tweak the primary install.

If you insist on using your Macbook as the 'starter': connect your target drive to the Macbook through an external port. Use DDs script to install the Retail DVD to the target and then install the desired Mac updates. The install will go faster if you have the .dmgs for the DVD and updater on the Macbook desktop prior to starting the install. Once the two .dmgs have installed (no need to reboot in this process), continue with the script to install Chameleon2, make the disk active and install kexts/kernels. If you feel the need to install a dsdt file, do not do that until the HD is installed and booted in your new hardware.

Once the above install is completed (takes about 30 minutes) physically mount the target HD into your new computer case, make necessary connections and boot. If you have done your homework and included audio kexts and kexts/strings necessary for video during the initial install, you should be good to go when the computer boots the first time.

fischer:

Since you are in the process of buying parts for your build, why not get a second HD, and one of the OS distros (XxX or iPC work well) and perform DDs install 'per the book'. Having a workable install in addition to your primary is really helpful as you fine tweak the primary install.

If you insist on using your Macbook as the 'starter': connect your target drive to the Macbook through an external port. Use DDs script to install the Retail DVD to the target and then install the desired Mac updates. The install will go faster if you have the .dmgs for the DVD and updater on the Macbook desktop prior to starting the install. Once the two .dmgs have installed (no need to reboot in this process), continue with the script to install Chameleon2, make the disk active and install kexts/kernels. If you feel the need to install a dsdt file, do not do that until the HD is installed and booted in your new hardware.

Once the above install is completed (takes about 30 minutes) physically mount the target HD into your new computer case, make necessary connections and boot. If you have done your homework and included audio kexts and kexts/strings necessary for video during the initial install, you should be good to go when the computer boots the first time.

If I use my Macbook...

I'm suppose to run DD's script, but ignore option #2,3? or did you mean run the script #2-5? then continue to physically mount the HD to the case?

Does the order change because I'm using my Macbook? I apologize for my ignorance :/

I don't recall the actual numbers of the various items in the script, do I will just list the functions. Take each function one at a time, don't choose a selection that says "do 2-5".

first: Install OS this installs Mac OS from the dmg

Second: install the update this is outside the script, terminal can remain open

Third: install Chameleon we return to the script

Fourth: Make disk active

Fifth: install kexts/kernel

Sixth: exit script

Now relocate the target HD to the computer build.

Boot the new computer

If you feel a need of dsdt, open the script and and run dsdt function.

I don't recall the actual numbers of the various items in the script, do I will just list the functions. Take each function one at a time, don't choose a selection that says "do 2-5".

first: Install OS this installs Mac OS from the dmg

Second: install the update this is outside the script, terminal can remain open

Third: install Chameleon we return to the script

Fourth: Make disk active

Fifth: install kexts/kernel

Sixth: exit script

Now relocate the target HD to the computer build.

Boot the new computer

If you feel a need of dsdt, open the script and and run dsdt function.

Ok I think I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong

Using the script... install the OS (option 4)

install update

install chameleon (using DD's script - option 2) (by chameleon you mean using the script to install the bootloader?)

make the disk active (option 3)

install kexts/kernel (option 5)

at this point like you said I can relocate the HD to the new case...

So does this mean I cannot follow DD's tutorial to go along with the script??

Yes, you follow the tutorial to a point. First, his tutorial assumes two drives in one computer (non-Mac). Since you are loading the OS from a real Mac you need to modify the tutorial. You do not want to run the dsdt function while the target HD is connected to a different computer.

Second, you can certainly run the functions in the order listed in the script. However, it is more logical to me to first load the OS, then update before proceeding to load the boot loader, make active and load the kexts. Either way works, the important thing is not to run dsdt until the HD is in its 'home' computer.

try using aty_init.kext with the package of drivers from netkas (evga fixed) but outside the efi partition.

So it didn't help. I saw also that the DD Script already uses it.

I try my old nvkush.kext without success.

the problem is due to an openGL problem. I found the following with google

a valid video device could not be found for playback 70017

Follow up to my problem.

I've fixed the problem.

I noticed in my Screen Saver under System Preferences that my OpenGL screensavers were no longer available. And Flurry was running really slow and stuttered.

OpenGL problem? Graphic problem? Maybe that's why DVD Player wasn't opening. Possible other problems.

I reinstalled the ATI update from ATI with no luck.

I reinstalled the 10.4.3 combo updater. Now my DVD Player opens. System Pref's Screensaver section shows the OpenGL screen savers and flurry works just fine.

I don't know what could have happened to corrupt whatever graphic drivers, but now all is well.

I try a lot: fsck/repair permissions/ reinstalling 10.5.7/different kernel...

Some others have also this problem. I'm not alone :-)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry963596

Okay like many others I have been following this thread for quite some time and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. Here are my relevant specs

Gigabyte UD5

i7 920 C0 stepping

EVGA Geforce GTX 285

OCZ Gold DDR3 Ram

3 SATA HDD (1 Win7, 1 Kalyway, and 1 on the first SATA port as a target drive)

I used Digital Dreamer's 3.8 script and have a working install of Kalyway on a spare drive. I have 10.5.6 iso on that drive as well as the combo updater to 10.5.7. I go through the install and make sure to install both the updates back to back. I tried with the DSDT patch and without and both result in a KP as the OS is booting. Also right before it boots I hear popping in my speakers. I'm not really sure if I'm doing something wrong and or stupid but if anyone could shed some light I would greatly appreciate it.

Okay like many others I have been following this thread for quite some time and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. Here are my relevant specs

Gigabyte UD5

i7 920 C0 stepping

EVGA Geforce GTX 285

OCZ Gold DDR3 Ram

3 SATA HDD (1 Win7, 1 Kalyway, and 1 on the first SATA port as a target drive)

I used Digital Dreamer's 3.8 script and have a working install of Kalyway on a spare drive. I have 10.5.6 iso on that drive as well as the combo updater to 10.5.7. I go through the install and make sure to install both the updates back to back. I tried with the DSDT patch and without and both result in a KP as the OS is booting. Also right before it boots I hear popping in my speakers. I'm not really sure if I'm doing something wrong and or stupid but if anyone could shed some light I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi I have the same hardware and its a fairly easy fix..

Before running the script, delete the graphics folder DD supplied, as it will cause a kernel panic... When you get into your OSX follow these instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1179299 (linked to my post)

That should work :)

Hi I have the same hardware and its a fairly easy fix..

Before running the script, delete the graphics folder DD supplied, as it will cause a kernel panic... When you get into your OSX follow these instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1179299 (linked to my post)

That should work :)

Actually, the injector in my script's Graphics folder is the same Netkas Universal Injector referenced in the link. So, no need to delete it - just delete the other graphics kexts in S/L/E mentioned in the post and install the GT200 drivers.

regards,

MAJ

hi all :)

i have this install running and its working great

but i need help for instaling it on my stripped raid. The patch doesn't recognize my raid and i cant use it. is there a way to do this manually?

or any other way to do this. I had a working raid on my p-35-ds3l. thanks :)

Excellent thanks yydoctt and DD. I managed to boot so things are really looking up.

Now two things:

1) There is a definite humming through my 5.1 speakers hooked up via the MOBO sound card. I haven't tested playing music or anything yet but the humming is quite audible. I'm not sure if the kexts have progressed enough to allow 5.1 to be played on the UD5 or do I need a USB sound adapter?

2) Okay I tried both the gt200 series drivers and the EVGA ones for Mac that are on netkas.org but I still am not getting QE/CI. And I noticed the bug of the display going to sleep if a second monitor is left plugged in. Is there a way to get dual screens working with the GTX 285? Again thank you for your insight and patience.

Hi, I have installed in a GA-EX58-UD5/i7 a Retail DVD and when I booted for the first time in the retail OS X I didn´t notice for any configuration steps like Language or root password!!! unsure.gif

I needed to hack the root password because the default user was admin with no enought privileges to finish the install.

Does anybody know what´s the hell I am doing?

Thanks for all the InsaneMac people smile.gif

I have solved it, reinstalling with the same procedure, and in the first boot I got the configuration stepos like Language and root password. Now I have a Retail install working. Thanks a lot to all!

:-)

I finally updated to 10.5.7 and the latest dreamer script. After some roadbumps with permissions i believe and graphics kexts - i'm back up. Usb problems are gone... but wake from sleep is still funky - will try the optional kexts for that.

The main reason i'm writing is that the new netkas injector didnt work well for my 9800 gtx+.

I was unable to get quartz extreme or core image with netkas.

I went back to my previous graphics string from aquaman and all is well.

So for those with a 8800/9800 graphics card doing the update... if your experience is like mine then you may want to try graphics strings and skip the netkas universal.

Try overclocking and see if you still get the humming.

My sound out was creating kind of a hum, that sounded to me like it was somehow picking up sound from the hard drive operation. The hum disappears when I overclock.

that's funny, when i overclocked with all the voltages set to normal, i started getting these buzzing and humming noises. i can just hear them coming out of the machine and they are also coupling into the front panel headphone jack. the back panel speaker port is fine.

my understanding is that the switching power supplies on the motherboard for Vcore and other chip voltages run in the 10-20khz range. so there are currents (and therefore magnetic fields) in the inductors switching at the same frequency. these can produce eddy currents in the magnets in the inductors, which mechanically vibrate the magnets, and so the magnets produce sound.

if i load the system even a little bit, these noises go away almost completely. so thats another thing i have to debug with the bios...

So for those with a 8800/9800 graphics card doing the update... if your experience is like mine then you may want to try graphics strings and skip the netkas universal.

YOU'VE GOT IT!!! MANY THANKS!!! NOT TO USE netkas kext and to put the EFI String in the com.apple.boot.plist file so as it was under 10.5.6 was the perfect solution !!! THANKS A LOT!! :D:)

I spent so much time because I thought netkas kext was the solution... but it was indeed the problem.

By the way DD-script has a little error (or it is due to BASH limited buffer!?!? ) using too long EFI-Hex String.

For google's archive:

if you have the following warning (after updating to 10.5.7) "Valid video device not be found for playback (-70017)" by starting the DVD Player it could mean that you have a wrong video driver.

Another bug with the wrong driver: OpenGL does not work: Some screen savers won't start

Here is also a discussion about all the problems that I had:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1353329

Success!

I went and bought another drive just to test (this time a 300GB Velociraptor), and I first tested iDeneb. Amazingly, that worked, so I erased, and proceeded to do a retail install. Well I'll be damned, it worked!

So all this time my problem was a bum drive. I suppose my log helped DD to identify and fix a permissions bug in the script, but otherwise, sorry to be a bother! And thanks to DD (et al) for all the help!

It feels so good to make progress for a change! Now to go about fine tuning, getting video acceleration going etc.

Until next time! :)

Nabz, you don't have a bum drive -- I had the same problem and ended up splitting it in two equal partitions. Now the install worked! So I guess drives over 1TB need to be split into smaller chunks for the bootloader to work.

On a side note; thank you so much for your efforts DD! I have just completed my second Hack-A-Mac build and I'm thrilled with its performance. I could not have done it without your hard work and all the help from the community here!

Keep up the great work everyone!