[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I am having issues with my mouse again. I didn't change anything and my mouse is jumping all over and lagging. It was perfect - not sure what happened.

any ideas on fixing this again?

ITS MY MOUSE DYING! My Logitech MX 3200 is not working.

what mouse and keyboard combos are you guys using? would the wireless apple keyboard and mouse work?

would they also work when i boot into Windows 7?

thanks

I've totally owned myself. I tried installing ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pcie Series 10.5.6 - 10.5.x.pkg to get it working to allow a dual monitor setup but it stripped me of all but 1 resolution and removed my QE_CI. The card showed up in my system profiler but wouldn't display anything. If I set it to my primary card in the bios when Mac OS was finishing booting everything would freeze up and the fans went to max speed.

So I thought I'd try getting my resolution back by running the QE_CI_For_Exotic_Cards.pkg but after running that and restarting I got lots of coloured dots on my screen and couldn't see a thing.

I managed to boot in safe mode and delete some stuff and reinstall some stuff but I'm now back to being able to boot normally but stuck with 1 resolution and no QE_CI.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW I probably won't be posting for a while cause I'll be away from my computers and the net for the next few days.

try adding a key <key>device-properties</key><string>...000001...</string> in the com.apple.boot.plist.

It's a better way and should work. Use google to find how to do it,

if you are use dd script and chameleon the file is located in /extra

hey thanks for the script DD, i have been following the tread and have been running ipc but want to take a swing at vanilla. im using 3.9 and keep getting an error of firewire unable to start and then onto "still waiting for root device" my ipc still start up fine.

setup

ud4p

i7 920

6gb ddr3

1tb WD black into 4 part (osx, windows 7, ubuntu, fat storage)

32 raptor w/ipc

the one im trying to boot up from is osx on the 1tb black, its set as master and set to boot first. dont no how to fix.

...speaking of firewire, I'm using Chameleon 1.012 with the Voodoo 9.6.0 Kernel and I am still getting my firewire defaulting to full-secure. I thought that was a bug in Chameleon 2.0 RC1, but firewire was supposed to work fine in 1.012. Am I mistaken?

Ryan

Have you tried reinstalling the drive but without installing the universal injector with the script?

I could try that, do you mean, take dd 3.8 script, put ATY_Init off to the side, then run dd 3.8 script, then run netkas June 8 script. I may try that, or wait to see what digital_dreamer suggests. Wonder if the June 8 netkas was part of 3.8.

RUNNING THE SCRIPT
  1. Double-click RUN-PATCHER and enter your password.
  2. You will be prompted with a selection of valid HFS drives to work with.
  3. Default choices are highlighted in bold type.
  4. Confirmed target drive name is saved for future use.
  5. Install your choice of bootloader or pre-patch (option #2).

Sorry if this is a totally n00b question, but what does pre-patch mean here? Isn't a bootloader a necessity when not having an apple bios? Or is this about the magic EFI-partition?

...speaking of firewire, I'm using Chameleon 1.012 with the Voodoo 9.6.0 Kernel and I am still getting my firewire defaulting to full-secure. I thought that was a bug in Chameleon 2.0 RC1, but firewire was supposed to work fine in 1.012. Am I mistaken?

Ryan

This Firewire error message is common and doesn't mean it's non-functional. It still performs, but has some technical limitations that affect bandwidth.

I could try that, do you mean, take dd 3.8 script, put ATY_Init off to the side, then run dd 3.8 script, then run netkas June 8 script. I may try that, or wait to see what digital_dreamer suggests. Wonder if the June 8 netkas was part of 3.8.

Honestly, I don't know what the issue is here, so have no suggestions. ;)

I have periodically run into the dreaded ATI kext not working at one time, then working the next, with no explanation known to me.

regards,

MAJ

Sorry if this is a totally n00b question, but what does pre-patch mean here? Isn't a bootloader a necessity when not having an apple bios? Or is this about the magic EFI-partition?

"Pre-patch" is the more familiar term most other methods/scripts use. The "pre-patch" typically does several things: installs the bootloader, activates the drive, and prepares the drive for the "post-patch" (setting volume permissions for install). My script splits those tasks up into individual routines, so that they can be performed separately as needed. As an example, in the case of a multi-partition OS X install, one would not need to (nor would want to) activate each partition the bootloader is installed on. So, that task is removed from what used to be the "pre-patch" routine and is given a standalone status.

I choose to add the "pre-patch" name to the bootloader install function, as that is the dominant function of the common "pre-patch," and to provide a sense of familiarity to those who have used other scripts or install methods that incorporate a "pre-patch" function.

regards,

MAJ

Remember me? I was the one with constant kernel panics during installing. Specifically at "installing media files". I never got passed it.

Ever since then, my hard drive hasn't worked. I'm now running off of an old 18gig IDE drive, 'cause I had to send my 500gig SATA back to Seagate. I think getting all those kernel panics and manual restarting caused either my sata to die, or my sata ports to fry. When I get my new HDD, I'm not so sure I'm up for trying this again.

Is there any advantage to doing a retail install rather than a common distro such as iAtkos or Kalyway?

Thanks for this DD. This was the easiest install for me yet. Following your instructions for cham2 on first boot I has working network and sound (even auto detects plugging stuff in to the headphone jack and switches outputs), shutdown, the aty_init saw my xfx 4870 and QE/ CI is working, both dvi ports work and auto detect output.

Shutdown works but I get display corruption (vertical pinstripes) on wake from sleep. Also about this mac always shows 3.2 ghz and 1600mhz ram no matter what speed the the processor and ram are actually set to.

I'm getting around 320 in xbench and 9400 in geekbench. Is that abou what i should expect or should my scores be higher? Any suggestions on benchmarking the 4870? I tried opengl info and got 1000+ fps on the standard benchmarks there, but I was hoping for more. I have the OC version of the xfx4870 (775 mhz) Does the mac run the card at the bios settings or does this get overridden by leopard? My mother board croaked after running about 12 hours, I'm waiting an RMA replacement now and looking forward to using my new mac.

Okay, got my EVGA GTX 285 working flawlessly with QE/CI and dual monitors. My only issue is getting on board audio working with a 5.1 setup. If anyone has any ideas let me know... I'm probably doing something stupid.

Anyway, this may be of some help but I'm going to list some pointers that worked for me.

1) Make sure that you're target vanilla OSX disk is SATA and in the first SATA slot and AHCI mode is enabled.

2) I wanted a Windows 7 dual boot setup and I tried leaving it on the non GSATA ports. If AHCI mode is enabled, your boot loader will get screwed up and repair may corrupt your entire install if you don't rescue it properly. So I suggest you plug in your Windows 7 disk into the GSATA ports and leave AHCI mode OFF for the GSATA ports. This will save you a lot of time and effort trust me.

3) To get my GTX 285 working I just did the default options of DD's install and used Chameleon 2. After you boot into your install, I removed all Geforce and NVD kexts in SLE and ATY_Init.kext. I then installed the EVGA GTX 285 Mac drivers from netkas.org. Next, I followed this guide installing GFX strings and modified the apple.boot.plist in the Extras folder. Rebooted with my second monitor plugged in and everything worked beautifully.

Aqua Mac forums - GFX Strings

Okay, got my EVGA GTX 285 working flawlessly with QE/CI and dual monitors. My only issue is getting on board audio working with a 5.1 setup. If anyone has any ideas let me know... I'm probably doing something stupid.

Anyway, this may be of some help but I'm going to list some pointers that worked for me.

1) Make sure that you're target vanilla OSX disk is SATA and in the first SATA slot and AHCI mode is enabled.

2) I wanted a Windows 7 dual boot setup and I tried leaving it on the non GSATA ports. If AHCI mode is enabled, your boot loader will get screwed up and repair may corrupt your entire install if you don't rescue it properly. So I suggest you plug in your Windows 7 disk into the GSATA ports and leave AHCI mode OFF for the GSATA ports. This will save you a lot of time and effort trust me.

3) To get my GTX 285 working I just did the default options of DD's install and used Chameleon 2. After you boot into your install, I removed all Geforce and NVD kexts in SLE and ATY_Init.kext. I then installed the EVGA GTX 285 Mac drivers from netkas.org. Next, I followed this guide installing GFX strings and modified the apple.boot.plist in the Extras folder. Rebooted with my second monitor plugged in and everything worked beautifully.

Aqua Mac forums - GFX Strings

why did you use the gfx string rather than netkas enabler???

I couldn't get netkas enabler to get me multi monitor or QE/CI no matter what I tried. So I read a tip on using gfx strings and it works beautifully although I've only tried it on WoW so far.

Gfx string is usually the preferred way to go with almost any Hackintosh as it allows the system to think everything is native. Also, the less kext changes or hacks, the more stable a system tends to be as well as being able to survive an update from Apple.

Remember me? I was the one with constant kernel panics during installing. Specifically at "installing media files". I never got passed it.

Ever since then, my hard drive hasn't worked. I'm now running off of an old 18gig IDE drive, 'cause I had to send my 500gig SATA back to Seagate. I think getting all those kernel panics and manual restarting caused either my sata to die, or my sata ports to fry. When I get my new HDD, I'm not so sure I'm up for trying this again.

Is there any advantage to doing a retail install rather than a common distro such as iAtkos or Kalyway?

Yes, I remember you, melee54!

So, are you using that board for something else, now? Windows?

Do you think that the HD or the SATA port could have been the culprit?

The advantage Retail install has is a vanilla install that's easily updated without issues. But, if a distro is the only thing that works for you, then stick with what works. You can still run with the 'big dogs.' :D

kind regards,

MAJ

Has anyone had any success running Snow Leopard on the i7 systems?

After playing around with 10A380 install, which never can finish a boot, I've noticed the system has incredibly aggressive kext checking. If any kexts are altered in any way, they are omitted from the mkext (boot cache).

Take a look at the following boot log from SL. This is after installing Disabler.kext and dsmos.kext with the correct permissions (755 and root:wheel), the same permissions as the rest of the kexts in S/L/E. ;)

Note, also, I had removed the original vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and then reinstalled it. It also is flagged as "not authentic!" Is there some metadata or other flag that gets set/created when kexts are removed/added after a fresh install? Appears to be so.

(removed the time stamp to shorten the lines.)

ocalhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Rescanning kernel extensions.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: Disabler.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: dsmos.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: JMicronATA.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: dsmos.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[91]: Created mkext archive //System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[90]: /: no supported helper partitions to update.
localhost kextd[10]: updated kernel boot caches

ocalhost com.apple.kextcache[89]: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[89]: /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[89]: /System/Library/Extensions/Disabler.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.
localhost com.apple.kextcache[89]: Created prelinked kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache_i386.C1018C2A.
localhost kextd[10]: updated kernel boot caches

I know there are a number with SL installed and running, but I wonder how this is the case with this setup?

regards,

MAJ

I've managed to get my resolutions and QE CI working again so now I'm back to square one with trying to figure out how to get the 2400Pro working with the 4890 for dual monitors.

That's interesting about Snow Leopard kext management. I wonder if it's been done intentionally to try and prevent hackintoshes.

Hi, i´ve got Snow leo running on GA x58UD5, Core i7 920 and Geforce 8800GT.

You need the following:

1. Snow Leopard A380 dmg (You can easily update to A394 through Software Update 830 MB)

2. Download these Files from the first post

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

(includes Chameleon 1.012, boot File for Snow Kitty and dsmos and disabler kexts)

a. Install naked leopard to USB Harddrive or Flash Drive and install Chameleon 1.012 afterwards. install the necessary kexts for booting. Then replace the boot File in root

copy the boot file, which you downloaded, to the root of your new Leopard install

sudo -s

cd to the direcory of your downloaded Snow boot

cp boot /Volumes/(the_name_of_the Volume_of_your_new_Leopard_Install)

b. Boot into your new Leopard

c. Mount the Snow Leopard.dmg

in Terminal:

cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages"

open OSInstall.mpkg

This opens the Installer. Install to a new drive Guid Formatted!!! Do not reboot!!!

d. install Chameleon 1.012 to your Snow Leopard Volume

e. Replace the boot file with Snow Leopard boot file

cd to the direcory of your downloaded Snow boot

sudo cp boot /Volumes/(the_name_of_the Volume_of_your_new_Snow_Leopard_Install)

f. Copy your working DSDT to the root of your Snow Leopard Volume in Terminal

cd /Volumes/(the name of your Volume with working DSDT/

sudo cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/(the_name_of_the Volume_of_your_new_Snow_Leopard_Install)

g. Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist in S/L/E with the EFI String for your Graphic Card

h. Use mkexttool (from pwiz) to install both kexts to an mkext in Extra on your Snow Leopard Volume. If you patched your DSDT correctly, Snow Leopard will boot with only dsmos.kext. You can use all your kexts for 10.5.7 despite the audio kexts. openhaltrestart is not working in Snow-no reboot and sleep

i. I uploaded the audio kexts for 10.6 Realtek889a here:

You have to install them to S/L/E. Kexthelper is probably not working.

I copied them manually in Terminal

sudo -s

cd to the directory of the audio kexts

cp -R *.kexts /Volumes/(YourVolumeName)/System/Library/Exensions

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/(YourVolumeName)/System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/(YourVolumeName)/System/Library/Extensions

! Snow Leopard has some serious issues on our board. It resets your bios settings (Cmos checksum error) at every reboot. No fix around yet. I guess we have to wait. Do not forget to save your working Bios settings in Bios F11 before booting into Snow Leopard. You can relaod them at boot.

Have fun trying it out

ALC889a.zip

I couldn't get netkas enabler to get me multi monitor or QE/CI no matter what I tried. So I read a tip on using gfx strings and it works beautifully although I've only tried it on WoW so far.

Gfx string is usually the preferred way to go with almost any Hackintosh as it allows the system to think everything is native. Also, the less kext changes or hacks, the more stable a system tends to be as well as being able to survive an update from Apple.

hmmm... i was planning on trying on a week the saturday... so def going to do it your way then....

Yes, I remember you, melee54!

So, are you using that board for something else, now? Windows?

Do you think that the HD or the SATA port could have been the culprit?

The advantage Retail install has is a vanilla install that's easily updated without issues. But, if a distro is the only thing that works for you, then stick with what works. You can still run with the 'big dogs.' :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it was a bad HDD or bad SATA port. I've got 2 new 500 gig Seagates headed this way. I think I'll try the retail install again as long as it isn't my SATA ports that are messed up. After the kernel panic marathon, my windows install would freeze during boot, after boot, at any random time, etc. So Either the HDD got messed up from constant restarting during kernel panics, or somehow the SATA port died. We'll see soon enough. I really hope I don't have to send my whole motherboard back...

Thanks,

Melee54

I've managed to get my resolutions and QE CI working again so now I'm back to square one with trying to figure out how to get the 2400Pro working with the 4890 for dual monitors.

That's interesting about Snow Leopard kext management. I wonder if it's been done intentionally to try and prevent hackintoshes.

2400Pro & 4890? Mixing an aged card that is 30$ with a 180$ card? That is borderline sacrilegious. Good luck!

<snip>

Wouldn't be surprising!

Hi, i´ve got Snow leo running on GA x58UD5, Core i7 920 and Geforce 8800GT.

<snip>

! Snow Leopard has some serious issues on our board. It resets your bios settings (Cmos checksum error) at every reboot. No fix around yet. I guess we have to wait. Do not forget to save your working Bios settings in Bios F11 before booting into Snow Leopard. You can relaod them at boot.

Have fun trying it out

Thanks for that!

And, yeah, I was already running into the BIOS resetting issue, even with the partial boots.

Speaking of BIOS, I tried the latest beta f8b with the AHCI 1.20 update. Well, it does remove those wasted 10 seconds = good. But, it's buggy as can be. KPs everywhere. Plus, they removed the memory multipliers, so you're stuck with only the lowest two. Fastest I can run my 1600MHz RAM is 1350, IIRC. Back to the regular f8b I went.

What graphics cards work with DD's script and require the least amount of "fiddleing"? I'm really looking for something that just works after I run the scripts.

Try any of the common ATI Radeon cards. The ATY_Init.kext graphic injector is written for the following (taken directly from the injector's plist): Radeon 2400 Series, 2600 Series, 2900 Series, 3400 Series, 3600 Series, 3800 Series, 3800X2 Series, 4600 Series, 4800 Series, 4850 Series, 4870 Series, 4870X2 Series, 4890 Series?? <--That's in the injector

However, I'd say the older 2000 and 3000 series are better supported than the newer 4000 series. Time will change that though.

regards,

MAJ

Try any of the common ATI Radeon cards. The ATY_Init.kext graphic injector is written for the following (taken directly from the injector's plist): Radeon 2400 Series, 2600 Series, 2900 Series, 3400 Series, 3600 Series, 3800 Series, 3800X2 Series, 4600 Series, 4800 Series, 4850 Series, 4870 Series, 4870X2 Series, 4890 Series?? <--That's in the injector

However, I'd say the older 2000 and 3000 series are better supported than the newer 4000 series. Time will change that though.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for the info. What about Nvidia? I have a 9600 GT and if that one works, it will save me some $$

The below kext would be helpful.

AppleRTC.kext.zip

Thanks for the info. What about Nvidia? I have a 9600 GT and if that one works, it will save me some $$

Why sure. The 8000-9000 series are well supported. If the Injectors don't work well (I wouldn't know), the EFI strings are well suited for them. Anyone here can help you with that or you can look in the NVIDIA forums for support on that card.

best of wishes,

MAJ