[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hello all!

This thread will not die so soon! ^_^

I need to sum things up.

The tutorial + Script brought me successfully to properly working 10.5.7 install.

I used the script step by step - the only change I have made is putting the ATInject into "_repository"

and Installing the GTX 285 using Netkas's method:

For the card download this enabler from netkas

Then download this driver from EVGA

http://rapidshare.de/files/47522089/NVIDIA...6.mpkg.zip.html

Note: Install Enabler then the Driver before rebooting.

All works great.

I installed a bunch of progs and all works smoothly (AVID media composer, FC Studio, Parralels etc)

Now what about the 10.5.8 upgrade?

This tutorial and script has instructions for 10.5.7 only.

I read that ppl lost sleep ability after upgrading.

is there an official WORKING method for upgrade?

is it necessary?

Can I just upgrade from the software update?

I used an "enabler" from netkas - will everything work after upgrade?

Also the script installs old Chameleon bootloader: Chameleon v2.0 RC1

I heard there is a new chameleon in town (Chameleon 2 RC3 r658)

What is the best way to handle it? I used the script because its "fail proof".

is there a working method for our Mobo and script?

This machine is for a colleague and stability is the top priority - ( that's why I didn't install Snow Leo)

so Please tell me how to upgrade to 10.5.8 safely

and how to upgrade the latest (most stable) boot loader.

without - of course messing my good 10.5.7 install.

Now what about the 10.5.8 upgrade?

This tutorial and script has instructions for 10.5.7 only.

I read that ppl lost sleep ability after upgrading.

is there an official WORKING method for upgrade?

is it necessary?

Can I just upgrade from the software update?

I used an "enabler" from netkas - will everything work after upgrade?

Also the script installs old Chameleon bootloader: Chameleon v2.0 RC1

I heard there is a new chameleon in town (Chameleon 2 RC3 r658)

What is the best way to handle it? I used the script because its "fail proof".

is there a working method for our Mobo and script?

This machine is for a colleague and stability is the top priority - ( that's why I didn't install Snow Leo)

so Please tell me how to upgrade to 10.5.8 safely

and how to upgrade the latest (most stable) boot loader.

without - of course messing my good 10.5.7 install.

D_D's most up to date script can be found over on the Snow Leopard thread, and that script works for both Snow Leopard and Leopard Classic. It includes Chameleon 2.0 RC3. There are seperate kext folders for 10.5 and 10.6. There is a sleep enabler kext in the Misc_Patches repository which I believe is necessary for functional sleep under 10.5.8. I have a UD3R, not a U5, but 10.5.8 overwrote my sound kexts so I had to run the kext installer after the OSX update to get my sound back.

Ryan

Speaking of sound ... I am having trouble on my ex58-ud5 getting my sound working. If I enable the Azalia Codec in the BIOS, OS 10.5.8 will not even boot (kernel panic ... sound assertion ...). If I disable, OS X works fine but I have no sound. I used the new scripts under the Snow Leopard thread to install 10.5.

Anyone have any suggestions? ;)

Speaking of sound ... I am having trouble on my ex58-ud5 getting my sound working. If I enable the Azalia Codec in the BIOS, OS 10.5.8 will not even boot (kernel panic ... sound assertion ...). If I disable, OS X works fine but I have no sound. I used the new scripts under the Snow Leopard thread to install 10.5.

Anyone have any suggestions? :P

nm! I fixed it. I needed to put the newest AppleHDA.kext in the For_System folder on my EFI and it did the trick!

D_D's most up to date script can be found over on the Snow Leopard thread, and that script works for both Snow Leopard and Leopard Classic. It includes Chameleon 2.0 RC3. There are seperate kext folders for 10.5 and 10.6. There is a sleep enabler kext in the Misc_Patches repository which I believe is necessary for functional sleep under 10.5.8. I have a UD3R, not a U5, but 10.5.8 overwrote my sound kexts so I had to run the kext installer after the OSX update to get my sound back.

Ryan

Thanks for replaying Ryan!

I think Im going to stay with a stable 10.5.7 editing system for my colleague.

Because I have installed a lot of programs (FC studio, Avid media composer, Adobe products etc)

so I don't it to mess up the install.

one thing though

I really want to backup an image of this solid install.

I tried SuperDuper on an old install it messed up the boot loader functionality.

What is the best way?

Thank again!

hey, i've got a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R X58 Board, does this tutorial also works for my board?

im looking forward to hearing from you :(

( ...I'm sorry for my bad english :thumbsup_anim: )

regards scream_deluxe

Yes, but you'll want to use the guide over at the Snow Leopard thread since that guide has D_D's most recent script. The script works just as well for Leopard as for Snow Leopard.

The only considerable difference between the UD5 and the UD3R is the audio. You can use D_D's guide and everything should be working except for audio. The best solution for audio I've found for Leopard is using HDAEnabler and AppleHDA from this post. Place HDAEnabler in Stored_Kexts and place AppleHDA in Stored_Kexts/_For_System. If you'll notice, that post is from a thread for the Asus P6T SE, which has ALC1200 audio, but apparently, the ALC1200 is very similar to the ALC888 and it's the best solution I've found for Leopard.

If you decide to upgrade to Snow Leopard, I would suggest using the short guide that Dith put together Here for patching DSDT.

Ryan

Can someone please help me figure out the Firewire GUID 0000000000000 is invalid error? My install appears to be working okay although I get this error constantly in the console and sometimes a KP at shutdown. All of my firewire devices are working (I have a SIIG TI PCI card installed and it works fine as well).

I am also getting an error that it cannot find the AppleHDAController.kext.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have information on how to resolve this.

Thanks for replaying Ryan!

I think Im going to stay with a stable 10.5.7 editing system for my colleague.

Because I have installed a lot of programs (FC studio, Avid media composer, Adobe products etc)

so I don't it to mess up the install.

one thing though

I really want to backup an image of this solid install.

I tried SuperDuper on an old install it messed up the boot loader functionality.

What is the best way?

Thank again!

Use CarbonCopy Cloner to duplicate the drive then rin dd's script and install chameleon onto the drive you just cloned your data onto

Use CarbonCopy Cloner to duplicate the drive then rin dd's script and install chameleon onto the drive you just cloned your data onto

Thanks for replaying - I actually wanted to know if there is a method that does not require Running a script for bootloader correction.

==================================================

Another issue I'm having (not regarding to backup\restore) is this:

I want to use the bootloader for a Win XP HDD - but when I try to load it in the chameleon Bootl Loader all I get is black screen with bleeping "_"

Here is my chameleon:

img4446o.jpg

Choosing "Win XP" resulting black screen:

img4450g.jpg

But when I load windows without the boot loader (F12)

I have no trouble getting into windows.

I want to use the boot loader - because its for my collegue - that really won;t be able to use the F12 key and choose the right HDD...

=======================================

Another issue is the boot loader's BOOTING time (check pic):

img4452b.jpg

Right now it takes a lot of time to auto boot into Leopard.

So I'm forced to press "Enter" and then another "Enter" to quicly get into OSX.

How can I change the count down time?

I prefer a simple way - I really afraid from Terminal... :trumpet:

How can I change it w/o much of a hassle?

thanks!

Hey ArkaPro. I want to help. This is a simple solution. You need XP64bit edition.

Shalom Mattrb4!

Is there a way to make the XP 32 bit work? I want to install AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 3.5 and it will not support WIN XP 64 bit.

---------------------------------------

And what about the "how to change boot time in chameleon boot loader issue?

Another issue is the boot loader's BOOTING time (check pic):

img4452b.jpg

Right now it takes a lot of time to auto boot into Leopard.

So I'm forced to press "Enter" and then another "Enter" to quicly get into OSX.

How can I change the count down time?

I prefer a simple way - I really afraid from Terminal... :)

How can I change it w/o much of a hassle?

thanks!

Cheers!

Shalom Mattrb4!

Is there a way to make the XP 32 bit work? I want to install AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 3.5 and it will not support WIN XP 64 bit.

Nope, the stipulations of Chameleon force this requirement on us. I wish this were not the case. You could use grub bootloader. You could also use tboot in your xp 32 bit to get to a osx partition on Another drive. Tell me if you are using the dualboot on same drives or separate.

And what about the "how to change boot time in chameleon boot loader issue?

Hi ArkaPro, you can set the timeout key in Chameleon's com.apple.Boot.plist to a lower value, or you can add the following to the com.apple.Boot.plist to take you directly to the device selection screen.

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

There are a few more options available too, check out the voodooprojects forum and there you'll find documentation for all of Chameleon's features.

ArkaPro, its mattrb, under another pseudonym, last night I tried to install Leopard on another install with SL. Fail. That is okay because I did not expect it to work. I put iPC on another drive (used voodoo kernel with busratio=20, ich10 drivers) . Then I installed Retail 10.5.6 on a USB stick that was formatted GUID. Then I put 10.5.8 combo update from Apple website. Then I inserted DD's newest script from the Snow Leopard DD page. Worked handsomely. I now know that DD's SL script works with Leopard successfully. I dont know how to help you other then (1) making another attempt [insert graphics strings in advance], (2) try to get a new retail CD because it might be scratched, (3) use minimal drivers and get it working, (4) give up and use Snow Leopard (I recommend this, I don't believe SL to be of beta quality and most OS's come forth as being)

I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup_anim:

ArkaPro, its mattrb, under another pseudonym, last night I tried to install Leopard on another install with SL. Fail. That is okay because I did not expect it to work. I put iPC on another drive (used voodoo kernel with busratio=20, ich10 drivers) . Then I installed Retail 10.5.6 on a USB stick that was formatted GUID. Then I put 10.5.8 combo update from Apple website. Then I inserted DD's newest script from the Snow Leopard DD page. Worked handsomely. I now know that DD's SL script works with Leopard successfully. I dont know how to help you other then (1) making another attempt [insert graphics strings in advance], (2) try to get a new retail CD because it might be scratched, (3) use minimal drivers and get it working, (4) give up and use Snow Leopard (I recommend this, I don't believe SL to be of beta quality and most OS's come forth as being)

I wish you the best of luck. :whistle:

Thanks man,

I gave up on trying to reallocate the lost partitions.

I found a working USB drive that had 10.5.7 running - so I installed DD'a 10.5.7 script (the old one)

BTW when running OSX on USB disk it is really slow - every operation takes time - even to open a FINDER window etc...

is it normal?

Hey

i've got a seriouse Problem with my OSX Install:

i've got 3 Harddisks: the first is the Osx-System Disk. second is only Data, and the third is for my (new) Ubuntu 9.04 install.

I just installed Ubuntu. When i boot right now, GRUB shows up, and gives me everal possibilities to start, but no option is OSX!!! I think GRUB was installed to the first HDD. What can i do there now!?

Thx in advance!

Pcace

is it normal?

Yes, its slow.

I just installed Ubuntu. When i boot right now, GRUB shows up, and gives me everal possibilities to start, but no option is OSX!!! I think GRUB was installed to the first HDD. What can i do there now!?

There are many people who use GRUB with OSX, here is a link to a person uses GRUB2, I dont know if you have this. You should be able to get the information you need to get up and running eventually.

If that does not work then click here, to get more info on GRUB in osx.

Can someone please help me figure out the Firewire GUID 0000000000000 is invalid error? My install appears to be working okay although I get this error constantly in the console and sometimes a KP at shutdown. All of my firewire devices are working (I have a SIIG TI PCI card installed and it works fine as well).

I am also getting an error that it cannot find the AppleHDAController.kext.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have information on how to resolve this.

Strange that no one else seems to be getting this error. I fixed the "Firewire GUID 0000000000000 is invalid" error by removing my SIIG firewire card. I also had an error stating "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure." I fixed that by removing some of the entries in the disabler.kext according to the info found here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?...amp;topic=200.0

Strange that no one else seems to be getting this error. I fixed the "Firewire GUID 0000000000000 is invalid" error by removing my SIIG firewire card. I also had an error stating "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure." I fixed that by removing some of the entries in the disabler.kext according to the info found here:

I used to get the defaulting to secure message - no errors though

Now I get

Oct 3 11:22:18 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00dcaf5700001fd0; max speed s400.

Don't know why, only thing I did was change to pc efi 10.3 with ethernet built in set etc

everything vanilla with minimum 3rd party kexts

steve

What exactly did you remove from the Disabler.kext?

I used to get the defaulting to secure message - no errors though

Now I get

Oct 3 11:22:18 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00dcaf5700001fd0; max speed s400.

Don't know why, only thing I did was change to pc efi 10.3 with ethernet built in set etc

everything vanilla with minimum 3rd party kexts

steve

I get the same message but what about this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

Do you get this error too?

Thanks

What exactly did you remove from the Disabler.kext?

I get the same message but what about this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

Do you get this error too?

Thanks

No errors, I should add that I'm not using Disabler, using Fakesmc instead

steve

I have a 10.5.7 installing that's been running since DD first put the 10.5.7 script up. I haven't updated to 10.5.8 yet and am wondering if all I need to do is just do the combo updater. Does 10.5.8 break anything? For that matter does 10.5.8 help anything?

What about your temps without disabler.kext?

Is sleep working without disabler.kext?

My latest clean install which I run as 64 bit sleeps properly.

My older 32 bit install which has got a bit hacked up sleeps but doesn't wake properly.

(I messed up some permissions by doing chmod -R 755 from / , fixed most. I could reinstall

but most of my apps are loaded here and can't be bothered yet). Both are running with same

kexts & DSDT etc so guessing it's a permissions issue

I average mid-high 30's across all cores idle with 3rd party cooler, 68-72 after 1hr prime95 (the hard one)

at 3.4 Ghz (auto settings)

Easy overclock with auto settings to 3.8 GhZ, fails during load OS X at 4GHz with auto settings

(older C0 version i7)

steve

PS Apologies, I missed that this was the 10.5.x thread, should add that I'm on 10.6.1