[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I used to get the defaulting to secure message - no errors though

Now I get

Oct 3 11:22:18 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00dcaf5700001fd0; max speed s400.

Don't know why, only thing I did was change to pc efi 10.3 with ethernet built in set etc

everything vanilla with minimum 3rd party kexts

steve

What kext's are you using....?

Hi there

I have a strange issue with my GA-UD5 (Firmware F8) and my Apple Keyboard.

The keyboard is not always recognized at boot time!

Actually, sometimes I cannot enter the BIOS settings (hitting the DEL key have no effect) and I cannot press Enter at chameleon boot screen.

And sometimes everything works fine.

Sometimes it is something "in between", having the DEL key innefective to enter the BIOS, but the ENTER key working to change my chameleon boot drive.

Any clue ?

This is verry annoying as I am performing some tests with/without hyperthreading, and of course I have to change bios settings at each time...

Hi,

Im trying to install Snow Leo on my PC using this guide. Its a specific guide for my motherboard, the gigabyte ex58 ud4p.

When im done installing Snow Leo on my new partition, and booting for the first time but im still enable to get in to Snow Leo.

The first time i booted i got a kernel panic in AppleIntelCPUpowermanagement, so i deleted the kext file and tried it again.

During the next boot, i notice the 3rd line about the kext file i just deleted, and the screen freezes afther the last line.

Waiting for DSMOS...

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0x2c408086 Number of packages = x (dunno the exact number) Number of cpus = 8

So, i thought, lets delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. After deletion i reboot the system, but now the system freezes 1 line earlier.

Waiting for DSMOS...

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out

Any idea's about whats going wrong?

EDIT:

I installed fakesmsc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and got a little further with booting, however, it ends with a big grey/black bricked freeze screen.

Something wrong with my videocard? Im using a Ati HD4850 512MB PCI-E

I've started having a problem with iTunes authorization for DRM'ed songs. When I try to play a protected song, the "Authorize Computer" dialog box comes up, and when I enter my Apple ID and password, it says, "This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized one computer out of your available 5." My work computer and my laptop are authorized, so the one authorization business it gives me is wrong.

I think I started to have problems when I tried to use D_D's 4.10 script, which I could never really get working for Leopard, so then I put it back to how it was using the 4.02 script. It's possible that this is unrelated, but I'm not sure what else has changed.

I have a maintenance drive with Snow Leopard which is able to play the protected songs just fine.

I'm assuming this has do do with my UUID getting messed up, but I have a hard time following that whole thing. I've tried trashing my Byhosts folder in preferences, but I haven't done too much beyond that.

I have other software authorized to this computer, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw up those authorizations before I poked around any more.

Thanks,

Ryan!

I've started having a problem with iTunes authorization for DRM'ed songs. When I try to play a protected song, the "Authorize Computer" dialog box comes up, and when I enter my Apple ID and password, it says, "This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized one computer out of your available 5." My work computer and my laptop are authorized, so the one authorization business it gives me is wrong.

I think I started to have problems when I tried to use D_D's 4.10 script, which I could never really get working for Leopard, so then I put it back to how it was using the 4.02 script. It's possible that this is unrelated, but I'm not sure what else has changed.

I have a maintenance drive with Snow Leopard which is able to play the protected songs just fine.

I'm assuming this has do do with my UUID getting messed up, but I have a hard time following that whole thing. I've tried trashing my Byhosts folder in preferences, but I haven't done too much beyond that.

I have other software authorized to this computer, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw up those authorizations before I poked around any more.

Thanks,

Ryan!

Yes, this is a UUID issue.

If you go into /Users/Library/Preferences/ByHost, you'll see each plist with their corresponding UUID in the file name. You probably have more than one UUID listed for some of the plists.

You may choose to remove the "older" UUID plists, as they may not be used anymore, or keep them in favor of the newer ones. Depends on what works.

My previous script (prior to 4.10) based the UUID on the partition UUID, which, although a popular method, is technically incorrect. If one were to erase their drive and start over, the UUID would then change, causing the software to be "unauthorized" as it would appear it was installed on a different machine. Again, this is not the correct behavior. The UUID in question is a platform or hardware UUID and should not change for your system.

So, once a UUID has been defined for your system, it should remain unchanged. And, that's what my script now does.

best regards,

MAJ

EDIT: FYI: You should note, too, that some of those plists have the UUID embedded inside the XML file.

EDIT 2: LOL. I just noticed you already mentioned the ByHost folder. So much for reading comprehension.

Sometimes running CCC or other block-by-block cloning software will actually copy over a different UUID.

Yes, this is a UUID issue.

If you go into /Users/Library/Preferences/ByHost, you'll see each plist with their corresponding UUID in the file name. You probably have more than one UUID listed for some of the plists.

You may choose to remove the "older" UUID plists, as they may not be used anymore, or keep them in favor of the newer ones. Depends on what works.

My previous script (prior to 4.10) based the UUID on the partition UUID, which, although a popular method, is technically incorrect. If one were to erase their drive and start over, the UUID would then change, causing the software to be "unauthorized" as it would appear it was installed on a different machine. Again, this is not the correct behavior. The UUID in question is a platform or hardware UUID and should not change for your system.

So, once a UUID has been defined for your system, it should remain unchanged. And, that's what my script now does.

best regards,

MAJ

EDIT: FYI: You should note, too, that some of those plists have the UUID embedded inside the XML file.

EDIT 2: LOL. I just noticed you already mentioned the ByHost folder. So much for reading comprehension.

Sometimes running CCC or other block-by-block cloning software will actually copy over a different UUID.

I'm still not sure how I would go about fixing my current 10.5.8 system. My first thought was to trash the ByHost folder, which didn't work. I then looked for the old UUID in the filenames of some of the files in the ByHost folder, and I replaced the UUID register in UUID.kext and smbios.plist with the value from the older plist files. I still get the same result.

There's three .plist files for each preference in ByHost. One contains the current UUID I found in smbios and UUID.kext, there is a second older one, which looks like it hasn't been touched in a month, there there is another one which is mostly zeros which is a couple weeks old. These same three exist for most of the files in ByHost.

Any ideas? I'm a little lost on this one.

Ryan!

I was trying to install on the EX58-UD4P and getting an insta reboot right after "Starting Darwin" in both VMWare and native. Turns out this got me past it:

busratio=20 -x -v

I don't know why, but I wanted to share the info!

Hi there, I got some serious troubles after updating to 10.5.8.

What I did:

- Update to 10.5.8 from the apple update panel

- Run DD script (4.10) with the following choices (I am using the /extra way):

2: To install chameleon2 RC3 (I still have RC1)

5: To install Kext (I choosed to use Normal cache build) in order to reactivate sleep which was broken by 10.5.8

6: To update boot caches

7: To run DSTD patcher

After that I rebooted and I

- lost network

If the two adapters are shown in the system preference, they both say "no cable connected"

and I have 2 new "Parallel" adapters (which where connected with a 10.i.dont.remember IP address)

- broke time machine

System behave as if the time machine HDD was not connected (it's a firewire disk)

but, the sleep was working (at least :D).

I tried to remove the DSTD.aml file, with no change.

Hopefully I made all this on a copy of my system (I got a spare hard drive dedicated to system preview) so I can try again, and again (thanks to carbon copy cloner)

Any idea how I can get my system working fine with 10.5.8 ?

Thanks for any kind of help

busratio=20 -x -v

I don't know why

The busratio=20 is required with pre-10.5.7 version of OSX.

Hey,

I recently purchased a gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard and successfully installed iatkos v7 10.5.7 and sucessfully updated my software to 10.5.8.

Everything works except the audio. But I don't know exactly whether my hole system is running correctly or not.

I've made a picture of my "system overview", please take a look at it.

picture1wz.th.png

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R X58

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 4x2 67GHz BOX

Memory: 6144MB OCZ PC3-12800 CL8 Tripe Kit

Graphics: Zotac GTX260-2 Core216 55nm 89

Audio: Realtek ALC888

HDD: 3.5" Hitachi 1000GB

Thanks in advance!

Regards scream_deluxe

If you guys are getting a reboot right after the bootloader screen (Loading Darwin), there's something amiss regarding the kernel. If the "busratio" flag provides more progress, then you are running the Voodoo or Voodoo-based kernel (which you shouldn't be running if you have a Core i7 system).

I'd check the contents of your root directory:

ls -l "/Volumes/BOOT_VOLUME_NAME" | grep mach_kernel

Check the size and name of your kernel. Then, make sure your boot.plist contains the name of the vanilla kernel:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

I can't see why this issue would pop up unless you were using the modified kernel in the older installs (earlier than 10.5.7) and haven't changed your boot.plist kernel name.

best regards,

MAJ

EDIT: added clarification.

Hi guys,

First thanks to DD for his labour. ;)

I finally got my rig working.

Gigabyte x58 UD5

i7 920 2.66

Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X

OCZ 1333 CL7 3x2GB

Does not mean OSX is at all.

At the moment I have done all steps and everything boots but gets stuck at Apple logo screen then a forbidden sign appears...

Does anyone know what that is? DD?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I have attached of what in verbose mode says. Still waiting for root device!.

There are some other errors above that.

Any ideas?

Looks like the installed kexts have loaded from the Extra folder, but the BIOS cannot find the rest of the system/partition. Is this a EFI install?

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

MAJ

EDIT: Make sure the partition you want to boot is made "active."

Thanks for replying DD.

For my lack of patience I have done a second try. Before I have used old Chameleon. Now I am doing Chameleon RC3 I do not know why. I want to stay on 10.5.8 and not Snow for now.

Is it fine doing it on RC3?

How can I access Chameleon menu when booting from the system?

There is an option (Run DST Patcher) says better to do it at that time.

I will post results of this new try in a few minutes.

I have plugged my HDD in the white sockets and now it hungs up but at Kernel Version:

System model name macpro 4.1

System uptime in nanoseconds....

It does not say anything about the root drive anymore but still gets stuck...

OMG...

I have plugged my HDD in the white sockets and now it hungs up but at Kernel Version:

System model name macpro 4.1

System uptime in nanoseconds....

It does not say anything about the root drive anymore but still gets stuck...

OMG...

You got a kernel panic, but it's hard to know what's the issue without the log or picture of the log.

I'd suggest using the PC-EFI v10 bootloader, because you don't have a DSDT file, yet. The Chameleon RC3 bootloader is going to expect a DSDT file and will stall without it.

MAJ

I am installing from 10.5 Leopard then Combo Update to 10.5.8. Is that wrong?

Does Bios version have anything to do with Bootloader option to choose or Bios config? I am trying my best but I always get...

Kernel Version:

Darwing Kernel Version 9.8.0 .... Etc...

System model name: Macpro4,1

System Uptime in nanoseconds....

I yesterday managed to get into OSX pressing -x it takes long to enter but it did... Not using only -x but pressing many times several keys ( went crazy really) I did the DST patcher once I was on desktop then I restarted and it was restarting itself on half way so....I deleted that installation again.

I am about to try iATKOS V7 as after 8 installation of this method I think I am a bit dumb.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I have finally succeed with iATKOS V7 using some random options that I don't remember really. Everything works but ram shows as 667 mghz DDR2. Hope to find a solution.

Thanks to Netkas for HD 4890 Drivers.

Sleep goes on but cannot come back to desktop. The system reanimate but can't get anything on screen.

Restart and Shut Down work fine.

Time Machine did jump on the dock when I plugged a HDD via USB.

Connected my laptop via Firewire and was working excellently.

Geekbench 32: 8040

Geekbench 64: 9180

Out of the box. Let's do some tweaks and see how far it goes.

I was trying to install on the EX58-UD4P and getting an insta reboot right after "Starting Darwin" in both VMWare and native. Turns out this got me past it:

busratio=20 -x -v

I don't know why, but I wanted to share the info!

Hey man, I'm trying to load Leopard on a UD4P and I have the same issue, I'm going to try your technique and see if it works. Do you happen to know the quickest and easiest way for this board, I've read so much stuff and its all very convoluted.